Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cottage Living Facts Thread

Comments

• verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Ok first of all very happy for Cottage Living. Now, about that certain Telephone Booth. Does anyone know if it comes in TARDIS blue? My David Tennant's sim Doctor would like to know. :D;):p

Red telephone boxes = a British standard.

Blue box is a POLICE BOX in the days before cell phones - you could directly call the police from one of those boxes. The red ones are standard phone booths.
    Sadly both are almost extinct with cell phones in everyone's hands
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    I don't have Twitter or Facebook, so I really appreciate the information coming to the forum.

Thank you. I'm glad to do it.

Which makes me wonder, why people post a link to a tweet here, instead of copy-pasting what's in the tweet?

So people can follow the Tweet and read the other replies to the conversation if they want to.

*edited because I forgot words. Words are hard.

True, that makes sense. Maybe what would help is if this forum actually had a different color for a clicked and unclicked link, so when I see a wall of links, I know if it's something I've read in another thread...
    verlainem wrote: »
    Ok first of all very happy for Cottage Living. Now, about that certain Telephone Booth. Does anyone know if it comes in TARDIS blue? My David Tennant's sim Doctor would like to know. :D;):p

Blue box is a POLICE BOX in the days before cell phones - you could directly call the police from one of those boxes. The red ones are standard phone booths.

A coincidence, but the last phone booths are being uninstalled this month in my country.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member

Fun fact, there is the exception of in and around Hull which have white telephone boxes due to Kingston Communications never being nationalised.
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Thetford wrote: »

Fun fact, there is the exception of in and around Hull which have white telephone boxes due to Kingston Communications never being nationalised.

so true :)
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    I don't have Twitter or Facebook, so I really appreciate the information coming to the forum.

Which makes me wonder, why people post a link to a tweet here, instead of copy-pasting what's in the tweet?

I don't know what you mean.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,775 Member

Because that would make the original source of the tweet useless.

Anyone can say anything if only copy pasting the text inside the tweet.

The link to the tweet will show the poster, what is important! In here even more if original tweeter was a Guru :)

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member

So people can follow the Tweet and read the other replies to the conversation if they want to.

*edited because I forgot words. Words are hard.
    I do that quite a bit on here too. It's so easy to say in your head what you want to say. But it's not as easy to put that to words on here when your mind is so focused what you want to say. You tend to misspell words, or use the wrong word, or leave words out without knowing about it. Many of us don't say any thing about the mistakes that we all make on here out of courtesy.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member

It still shows what's in the tweet when we post the link. And by posting the link, you can click on it to see replies, etc.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,406 Member
    edited June 2021
    IceyJ wrote: »

It still shows what's in the tweet when we post the link. And by posting the link, you can click on it to see replies, etc.

Oddly enough that only works for me on my phone, not on my pc. On my pc I can only see a link. But I agree that a link is better because you are showing the source.
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited June 2021
    Atreya33 wrote: »

Oddly enough that only works for me on my phone, not on my pc. On my pc I can only see a link. But I agree that a link is better because you are showing the source.
    Your PC's security software might have something to do with that. Some PC security software are set-up so that the pc user does not accidently tap into a virus, spyware, or malware.
    I copy and paste what it says from Twitter. I assume everyone sees it. If they don't it's an issue with this site that needs to be addressed.
    edited June 2021
    sunman502 wrote: »
    Atreya33 wrote: »

Your PC's security software might have something to do with that. Some PC security software are set-up so that the pc user does not accidently tap into a virus, spyware, or malware.

I'll look into it if that may cause the problems. But I mostly visit the forums on my phone where I can see everything fine. Although it may take a few seconds to load if there are many tweets. It's not a big deal for me personally. I was just wondering if anyone else was experiencing this. Perhaps the person who raised this question has the same issue?
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    chickenow wrote: »
    Brit here who comes from a village not too dissimilar from a place like Henford-On-Bagle!. Yes functioning red phone boxes are virtually extinct but we kept our village one and filled it with books which you can take out and return! 😊😊
    I wonder if that's the phone box I hiked past recently! I was quite amazed to see a mini library 😆

Brit here who comes from a village not too dissimilar from a place like Henford-On-Bagle!. Yes functioning red phone boxes are virtually extinct but we kept our village one and filled it with books which you can take out and return! 😊😊

I've seen the same thing while on vacation in my country. Our phone boxes were never as good looking as the British red ones red but can be turned into a mini library as well.
  • LenaDietersLenaDieters Posts: 254 Member

Same! I live in the UK as well and we use them as a mini library

• JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member

I've seen some mini library ones out in villages too. In the city some of them have turned into WiFi spots and such which is pretty useful. Couldn't really do a mini library in the city, but I do love them. I love the repurposing of them in general, keeping something traditional but updating it.
  • TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    I copy and paste what it says from Twitter. I assume everyone sees it. If they don't it's an issue with this site that needs to be addressed.

All I see is a link to the tweet.
    Hard to guess if it's a browser issue or something related to my security settings...
    Sorry for the confusion, I hope this clarifies things at least a bit.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited June 2021
    Thetford wrote: »

Yep I had the novelty as a child seeing red phone boxes if I went elsewhere in the uk as I was only used to the white ones. We’re the only place in the uk that doesn’t have red phone boxes it’s a quirky fact for our region.

Hard to guess if it's a browser issue or something related to my security settings...

I see the tweet on my phone and pc.
  • OutlawWomanOutlawWoman Posts: 156 Member

Informative. Below is an example of what most of us see, and it also works as a link for us, taking us directly to the original post. But now that I know some of you don't see what we see, I'll try to remember to type out the text of any Twitter posts I share.

51250357334_d6fac25eb1_b.jpg
    I wonder when they going to start answering questions again.
  • Jennifer_Jennifer_ Posts: 42 Member

I'm dying for more news, keep checking Twitter 50 x a day.
    I wonder when we'll get another trailer..
  • TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member

I know this isn't my thread but can we please keep it on the topic of Cottage Living facts? That way it's easier to sift through and be notified when there is new info.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    Trashmagic wrote: »

I know this isn't my thread but can we please keep it on the topic of Cottage Living facts? That way it's easier to sift through and be notified when there is new info.

Lol, this is not a facts thread anymore, it's just a discussion thread. I gave up on seeing any facts pages ago and sifting through to find future facts will probably not be an easy task.