Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Many Plan on Buying Paralives vs TS5?

Comments

• SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Yes, I plan on getting Paralives as soon as it's released (possible 2021)
    Oh my god as I was watching the video and suddenly realized it has platforms and it not even nearly finished yet. It looks awesome.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited June 2021
    Holy wow! That video looks sooooo good! I hope the gameplay is just as good. I am not too keen on the look of the parafolks but if the gameplay matches the build mode ability, I'm 100% positive I will buy it on release.
    Last I seen the Parafolk are currently being worked on so far from finished product
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2021
    I don't know, I love Maxis, but I don't want a TS5 MMO and might have to jump ship and go with Steam's game.

Thanks for posting the link @simgirl1010 I was away and didn't get to that event online.

It's amazing what they have been able to do. I can see how someone won't have to spend much time in buy mode to pick out different sized windows (of the same type) since with the Unreal engine they can just resize them themselves. That's progress.

Or how someone can just raise the flooring to build a split level in a few easy clicks. Pretty amazing after all these years.
    Or not have to spend time looking for the right sized rock when someone can just click and make it bigger, fatter, thinner, smaller or even flatter...that's some amazing engine. People's builds are going to be sooooo easy and spectacular.

I know how much feedback they get for creating those modular couches, (I'm not a fan of those) and viola Maxis was able to do it, too, in the recent Decorator pack...Odd...lol.

But let's all not forget Maxis is also using the Unreal Engine to build TS5 (or whatever it's called) and so,....the race is on to the gameplay that everyone wants to see. Because Maxis will be just as able to do all that we see in build mode with the Unreal Engine that Paralives can do (if they will) so the question remains about gameplay and the actual character and depth.

I think people want (eager) to see the 'animations' but I do know they have experienced some hiccups with characters and have some bloopers they might share....path finding and animations are hard.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Other
    I wasn't interested until I saw Pleasant Sims orgasming over Paralives' building mode.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    Other
    It’s an impressive build mode.
    I’m aware designs are still unfinished but I’m curious about how detailed elements on windows, pillars, tables etc.will be implemented.

As of now the table and window mesh they customize is quite simple (no details, just straight) but I wonder how resizing will work on e.g. windows with stained glass imagery and ornate stone work, without squashing or stretching the original design.
    Obviously not everybody is interested in IKEA straight and modern all the time and it’d be something I look forward to seeing.
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    edited June 2021
    Other
    Cinebar wrote: »

Thanks for posting the link @simgirl1010 I was away and didn't get to that event online.

It's amazing what they have been able to do. I can see how someone won't have to spend much time in buy mode to pick out different sized windows (of the same type) since with the Unreal engine they can just resize them themselves. That's progress.

Or how someone can just raise the flooring to build a split level in a few easy clicks. Pretty amazing after all these years.
    Or not have to spend time looking for the right sized rock when someone can just click and make it bigger, fatter, thinner, smaller or even flatter...that's some amazing engine. People's builds are going to be sooooo easy and spectacular.

I know how much feedback they get for creating those modular couches, (I'm not a fan of those) and viola Maxis was able to do it, too, in the recent Decorator pack...Odd...lol.

But let's all not forget Maxis is also using the Unreal Engine to build TS5 (or whatever it's called) and so,....the race is on to the gameplay that everyone wants to see. Because Maxis will be just as able to do all that we see in build mode with the Unreal Engine that Paralives can do (if they will) so the question remains about gameplay and the actual character and depth.

I think people want (eager) to see the 'animations' but I do know they have experienced some hiccups with characters and have some bloopers they might share....path finding and animations are hard.

True but ....

Maxis seems to be creating an online game for TS5. That alone makes the choice of engine irrelevant to me. Paralives also has been showing progress. Maxis hasn't shown or said anything, other than they are creating TS5, they're prototyping it with the Unreal engine (which I'm not sure necessarily implies that the finished product will be developed on that engine). Maxis has a design and programming staff that has its own culture about game development. I'm skeptical that any such culture can flip a switch and do something almost completely new.

Time will tell, I guess.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I don't know, I love Maxis, but I don't want a TS5 MMO and might have to jump ship and go with Steam's game.
    I’m aware designs are still unfinished but I’m curious about how detailed elements on windows, pillars, tables etc.will be implemented.

As of now the table and window mesh they customize is quite simple (no details, just straight) but I wonder how resizing will work on e.g. windows with stained glass imagery and ornate stone work, without squashing or stretching the original design.
    Obviously not everybody is interested in IKEA straight and modern all the time and it’d be something I look forward to seeing.

I have wondered the same thing. As a Build/Buy CC creator I often use patterns on fabric, wood grains, and other textural textures on my items. When creating the mesh in blender you have to ensure that when you unwrap it, all of the parts and pieces are the same size so your patterns do not stretch in one direction.

Since the mesh is physically changing shape/size the texture obviously would also stretch.

In Second Life you build freely and texture freely while in the game. If you put a wall texture on the "wall" and you decide to change the shape of your room to make it smaller or larger, you also have to adjust the repeats on your texture so that it fits appropriately to the size of the wall.

I'm not sure if there will be a function available to adjust the texture when in build mode but I foresee that being an issue unless they are adjusted in the engine and not the actual game.

The reason I say this is because, in TS4 when we create textures, we bake a shadow image of the mesh, which gives the object depth and more realistic shadows. Then you place your texture over it and multiply in your graphics program, this allows the shadows to show thru the texture. If you would try to adjust the texture while in game (if that was an option), then the texture would no long be lined up with the meshes UV.

It will be interesting to see how the creation process will done. I've only got experience building and creating custom content for The Sims and Second Life but it is definitely something I'm excited about learning.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member

You know, that's a very good question. How would other designs scale?

For stained glass windows, I think they would have to choose a pattern that would tessellate, so that if you change the window size, the pattern still looks seamless. If it's a specific design like an image, I think they would have to think of other ways to scale that
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • DanmanNefariusDanmanNefarius Posts: 947 Member
    edited June 2021
    SimSpock wrote: »

True but ....

Maxis seems to be creating an online game for TS5. That alone makes the choice of engine irrelevant to me. Paralives also has been showing progress. Maxis hasn't shown or said anything, other than they are creating TS5, they're prototyping it with the Unreal engine (which I'm not sure necessarily implies that the finished product will be developed on that engine). .

welp... terrible Microtransactions cashgrab anticipated here so more reason to get into paralives because screw EA and their fetish for microtransactions.

and they will not use the Unreal engine because EA will insist on them using frostbite anyways
  • SimtaniumSimtanium Posts: 256 Member
    edited June 2021
    Other
    I'm not buying Paralives (in the words of Taylor Swift), like, ever. It looks like a mobile app game.

I'm going to keep a close eye on any future Sims games, but I'm not switching to TS5 straight away. I did that with 3 and 4 and regretted abandoning the previous iteration. I really like TS4 in it's current state, and I was away from the game for about 3 years so there's still a lot to explore for me.

Now, I will buy TS5 eventually - and I'll even try it if it's a social game, even though I *HATE* the idea, because I can still see it being fun.

EDIT: Paralives looks worse than a mobile app game. It looks a dollar store version of TS4 - cheap trash. :confounded:
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    Other
    I don’t usually invest in a game before it’s release date (in the form of pre-orders though this is different) but I’m seriously considering becoming a patron of Paralives. It was two, really three things for me.

First was seeing Anna’s dev chat week on Twitter from Mar 15th – 19th where she gave examples different animations and how much thought they were putting into the animations like a high five between paras of different heights, eating while sitting or standing, and sitting on different leveled seats from the ground to various chairs. I linked to the threads in the spoilers for anyone who hasn't read them and it may answer some of your questions and ease some concerns about animations and why you aren't seeing a ton of gameplay yet. It’s an indie game and quite honestly with the way some people talk about them I was expecting and willing to accept a ton of shortcuts and other things I wouldn’t tolerate from a bigger team like The Sims but they seem to be putting a lot of thought and their hearts into making it right while also being reasonable with their limited resources which took me by surprise for some reason, likely due to my experience with The Sims.

Second was the 11 minute build video. That was the moment when it really sunk in for me that they’re actually making this game. Like I knew they were making it but it hit a bit different to see actual in game footage (even if it was just more building) so far and the level of detail and thought that went into it, and it’s no where near finished but they're including a lot of the stuff that frustrated me with The Sims because I don’t get why by Sims 3 and most definitely by Sims 4 some of this stuff wasn’t being done. I love The Sims but sometimes, on the innovation front, I I know it can be better so being able to see I’m not just dreaming of something technology can’t do yet is nice.

Then third was something Pleasant Sims said that hit home for me. She said something about if the quality they’re putting into to build mode is any indicator of the quality they’ll put into live mode- and before she even finished the thought I thought yeah, it’ll be a pretty good game if that’s the case. And my expectations (mostly because of The Sims, but also because they’re an indie team) are low. They just keep blowing me away. It's far beyond anything I expected from an indie dev team because I haven't even seen some of this stuff from The Sims which is supposed to be the game that sets the bar as the OG. Yes, I realize the Paralives team has shown no gameplay yet, but as everyone kept reminding people who are super excited and throwing out ideas left and right to the Paralives team, they’re a small indie team. Therefore, it’s going to take some time to get there. This build mode, and even the current look of Paralives and the parafolk wasn’t something that happened over night. It took years, and it's come a long way from being just a thought in 2018 to having this detailed of a build mode (that still isn't completed) in 2021. Gameplay will more than likely take a few years as well and based on what I’ve seen so far I’m more than willing to let them take all the time they need to get it right. I just want a good life simulator game.

It seems like since the Wholesome Direct event that they've gotten even closer to their monetary goal of being able to recruit another 3D artist.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I'm team Paralives. Down with the money-hungry big corporations, let's support passionate, indie projects.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    I'm team Paralives. Down with the money-hungry big corporations, let's support passionate, indie projects.

@SimmerGeorge amen to that bro! EA is already planning to turn the Sims into yet another online microtransactions bonanza and i for one do not care to buy that kind of nonsense. seen this happen too many times to trust EA to make a good online experience without shameless cash grabs in it
    edited June 2021
    Simtanium wrote: »
    I'm not buying Paralives (in the words of Taylor Swift), like, ever. It looks like a mobile app game.

I'm going to keep a close eye on any future Sims games, but I'm not switching to TS5 straight away. I did that with 3 and 4 and regretted abandoning the previous iteration. I really like TS4 in it's current state, and I was away from the game for about 3 years so there's still a lot to explore for me.

Now, I will buy TS5 eventually - and I'll even try it if it's a social game, even though I *HATE* the idea, because I can still see it being fun.

EDIT: Paralives looks worse than a mobile app game. It looks a dollar store version of TS4 - cheap trash. :confounded:

lol i'll take a cheap dollar store game over yet another greedy EA microtransactions cashgrab game any day of the week, and if TS 5 will be online you can be assured there will be tons of microtransactions in it because this is EA we're talking about! better yet, i anticipate an attempt by EA to get a World of Warcraft-like business model: you buy the game for full price and then have to pay an additional fee every month to actually be able to play the game. so yeah i will be forced to hop ship because i refuse to buy a game just to then have to pay even more to be able to play it
    Other

True but ....

Maxis seems to be creating an online game for TS5. That alone makes the choice of engine irrelevant to me. Paralives also has been showing progress. Maxis hasn't shown or said anything, other than they are creating TS5, they're prototyping it with the Unreal engine (which I'm not sure necessarily implies that the finished product will be developed on that engine). .

welp... terrible Microtransactions cashgrab anticipated here so more reason to get into paralives because screw EA and their fetish for microtransactions.

and they will not use the Unreal engine because EA will insist on them using frostbite anyways

I do wonder about that. EA continues to periodically release games using Unreal, but Frostbite saves them 5% or so per copy of the game. So it wouldn't surprise me.

True but ....

I do wonder about that. EA continues to periodically release games using Unreal, but Frostbite saves them 5% or so per copy of the game. So it wouldn't surprise me.

@SimSpock ohh they will force frostbite on this one. 5% on one of their big sellers is a lot of money and EA will do anything for money. they do not care about players, they only care about money
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,914 Member
    Other
    they only care about money
    Eh.. pretty much as any company in the world. Just name one company who does not care about profits?
    (and now I sound like Ferengi.. ) :D

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
    Eh.. pretty much as any company in the world. Just name one company who does not care about profits?

Yeah, they all do, but some of them still take pride in the quality of their product, and it shows.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case with Maxis anymore :(
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
    edited June 2021

@Ellupelluellu
    there is a difference between making profit or being immorally greedy like EA. selling gambling to children (FIFA Ultimate Team) or utterly ruining once great games turning them into cashgrabs filled to the brim with predatory monetization scemes is just not about making profit anymore but wanting all the profit of the world.

@icmnfrsh it isn't Maxis you should blame. this is on EA pulling Maxis's strings and forcing them to deliver half baked game to sell the pieces pulled out as expansion packs. and it is typical EA nowadays to turn all their games intop mobile free to play cashgrabs, except you pay full price for said "free to play" games, and i fear the Sims is the next series on EA's chopping block because well...they want to make TS 5 a MMO, and thus 100% certainly will also receive surprise mechanics in some way... so yeah....R.I.P the Sims....
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,914 Member
    Other
    @DanmanNefarius and @icmnfrsh
    My comment was half joke, why the Ferengi.. but clearly it was too much star trek :D
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
    My comment was half joke, why the Ferengi.. but clearly it was too much star trek :D

@Ellupelluellu yeah i never even watched star trek :blush:
    There is some truth in what you said, though. A company primarily exists to generate profit. The way they go about it differs. If some of them could cut corners to earn more, they would do it.
    icmnfrsh it isn't Maxis you should blame. this is on EA pulling Maxis's strings and forcing them to deliver half baked game to sell the pieces pulled out as expansion packs. and it is typical EA nowadays to turn all their games intop mobile free to play cashgrabs, except you pay full price for said "free to play" games, and i fear the Sims is the next series on EA's chopping block because well...they want to make TS 5 a MMO, and thus 100% certainly will also receive surprise mechanics in some way... so yeah....R.I.P the Sims....

Honestly, at this point I think it's both. Maxis is no longer a separate entity from EA, and it's been integrated into the company after the acquisition from decades ago. A lot of questionable decisions seem to be from the leadership at Maxis, so it's not like they're completely faultless. Will Wright left long ago and it's no longer the Maxis he once helped shape

edited June 2021
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    Honestly, at this point I think it's both. Maxis is no longer a separate entity from EA, and it's been integrated into the company after the acquisition from decades ago. A lot of questionable decisions seem to be from the leadership at Maxis, so it's not like they're completely faultless. Will Wright left long ago and it's no longer the Maxis he once helped shape

don't be fooled. Maxis might have some personal freedom, but when push comes to shove it will be Andrew greedy Wilson who is truly calling the shots. and if he wants a Microtransactions loaded 30 $ a month subscription to play MMO sims game then that will be the end of it no matter what Maxis devs want. EA is known as the usurper and destroyer of games for a reason, an i fear the sims is the next series about to be ruined beyond recognition by greedy EA
    Other

Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #2: The best deal is the most profitable deal.
    Other

There is no such thing as too much Star Trek.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top