Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fairies is (not) the next Game Pack 😔

1235...Next

Comments

• chickenowchickenow Posts: 458 Member
    sunman502 wrote: »
    Joybearr wrote: »
    I'm kinda glad that fairies aren't coming with this pack because I'd rather have them in a dedicated Game Pack where they can be properly focused on and fleshed out.
    I agree with Joybearr on this one. It is best that they leave fairies to their own GP for the very reason that Joybearr had done said. Having fairies in CL may lead to even more bugs.

Agreed. I've found that any occult which are part of an EP (Island Living/Get to Work) has felt watered down and I've sort of resented them there as the resources could have been placed in fleshing out the content of the EP. Tbf Realm of Magic was a big disappointment to me so it's only Vampires I've been happy with! 😅
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I want to start by saying I love occult sims, so I am not asking to be a jerk but how are fairies very much different from spell casters apart from having wings to fly instead of using a broom/mop (like in RoM)? I guess despite my Irish roots I’m not well versed in fairy lore.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I want to start by saying I love occult sims, so I am not asking to be a ❤️❤️❤️❤️ but how are fairies very much different from spell casters apart from having wings to fly instead of using a broom/mop (like in RoM)? I guess despite my Irish roots I’m not well versed in fairy lore.

I mean, raw mechanics-wise, they likely would be similar. Fairies would cast magic which (depending on how they structure it) would replicate certain cheats or effects already in the game. Where the differentiation would come would be the perk trees, possibly skills, and special effects and animation.

Though most *actual* faerie from folklore don't have wings and aren't the Tinkerbell model of Fairy. You have brownies that can take care of your house at night, Cornish Nockers would warn miners of danger underground, leprechauns with their gold and wishes - just be careful what you wish for. Redcaps and Pookas... well, they get a little darker.

Even the Pixie model that more people are familiar with, you could have actual specialties based on various skills - gardening, mischief - or elements or environmental factors (Fire fairies, water sprites, etc.)
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited June 2021
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    I want to start by saying I love occult sims, so I am not asking to be a ❤️❤️❤️❤️ but how are fairies very much different from spell casters apart from having wings to fly instead of using a broom/mop (like in RoM)? I guess despite my Irish roots I’m not well versed in fairy lore.

I mean, raw mechanics-wise, they likely would be similar. Fairies would cast magic which (depending on how they structure it) would replicate certain cheats or effects already in the game. Where the differentiation would come would be the perk trees, possibly skills, and special effects and animation.

Though most *actual* faerie from folklore don't have wings and aren't the Tinkerbell model of Fairy. You have brownies that can take care of your house at night, Cornish Nockers would warn miners of danger underground, leprechauns with their gold and wishes - just be careful what you wish for. Redcaps and Pookas... well, they get a little darker.

Even the Pixie model that more people are familiar with, you could have actual specialties based on various skills - gardening, mischief - or elements or environmental factors (Fire fairies, water sprites, etc.)

I see, it seems though like we have a lot of that between spell casters, gnomes (with Seasons holiday traditions), and lot traits (gremlins, penny pixies, and gnomes), and also the wishing well. So I guess I don’t see how they could implement it without people complaining it’s a redo of what we have. But then it seems there’s a certain crowd who voices that complaint no matter what we get anyway. Thanks for answering my question. 😊
  • gamercatgamercat Posts: 208 Member
    Cottage Living may note have fairy's but I think they are coming vary soon maybe the Next Game Pack after Cottage Living but who know's
  • KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member

My thoughts echo @DaWaterRat's - For me the key difference to spellcasters (although I know its highly likely we'll get a human looking Tinkerbelle type faery) is that the Fae aren't human. They are from another realm entirely. In folklore, some fae benefit humans and some thwart us, dependent on our actions. The message they bring is to be respectful of nature and not dismiss it or underestimate them or else! Magically they are powerful and their magic is connected to the natural world. In the game it could work to encourage eco-friendliness.