Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Daughters of Hesperia - An Amazon Challenge Inspired Story (Rebooted)

Comments

• MrsRacooneyMrsRacooney Posts: 2,091 Member
    Probably a good idea to keep at least the slaves away when Anikka comes, too. It isn't exactly bound to go down the wrong drain but no need to create more potential problems than necessary, right? :D
    At first I was confused as to why Polgara taught Anikka plants. Surely they wouldn't need another provider? On the other hand, it's never bad to know about plants and their healing properties and it seems like Meda is more into the planting and growing part after all. So maybe it isn't the worst to have someone in the tribe who actually knows how to use the plants properly.
    Lolol! Molpe! :joy: You're so curious, are you actually bored? The funniest thing is, it would be annoying coming from anyone but the queen. Molpe is the one person in this little tribe whom the others would actually have to tell the truth about everything, including their love life :#
    fdZPJYy.jpg
    Chapters | Updated 09/26
  • lilypadmeulinlilypadmeulin Posts: 1,655 Member
    @MrsRacooney

In my head, the idea is more to give a general idea of plants to identify safe to eat ones, to identify ingredients for poultices, and just to give general knowledge. Also, as a future Scholar, a good grounding in all areas is sensible. Every warrior probably knows how to make these poultices just in case - it's kind of like part of a first aid course.

Molpe is definitely prying a little, but given that growth of the tribe is essential, it's mostly because the next generation is really important. However, yep, it would be annoying!

Yes! Bedtime story! I mean... of course I don't read stories about bloodthirsty Amazons before bed :grimace:
    And bloodthirsty they are (as expected)! :tired_face: Poor Septimus. My heart weeps for him but I'm glad he got a few moments with his son, alone. I don't dare to ask if he was glad to have a child or sad that it was a son who will eventually die. May the Goddess bless Polgara though for giving him those precious moments and for being there for him in his last hours :'(
    fdZPJYy.jpg
    Chapters | Updated 09/26
  • SpectresValkyrieSpectresValkyrie Posts: 317 Member
    A beautiful chapter. Polgara is so kind and very strong willed. And able to do what had to be done for everyone. I am glad Septimus got some time with his child.
    ETagn5d.jpg
    @MrsRacooney

As before, it's tradition in the tribe to allow the fathers to see their child before they die, but Polgara did make sure to allow Septimus a very gentle death. However, now the tribe is facing a different problem - they don't have an heiress, and Molpe will not be able to give them one for a little while anyway.

But they do have the first child of the next generation, Odysseus, and that is something to celebrate - and of course, Meda will be summoned soon to make her own choice.

@SpectresValkyrie

Polgara tries to do her best by everyone as much as she can. She tries to support the queen, Anikka, and now she will be looking after Odysseus as well. She's a character very dear to my heart in this story.
    Currently working on the next chapter and finding some happiness in it. Trying to also figure out how to bring the Calientes back into the storyline because everything else going on is really sucking me in, but I've been thinking that Dina and her baby should join the tribe.
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    Interesting development! I am always so glad when I see an update to your story.
    @telemwill

I'm glad you enjoyed the update!
    Seems like I missed quite a bit...
    Regarding 1.13: The name Odysseus confuses me each single time I read it. Heavy déjà-vus :D And here, the Calientes enter the stage... With a girl-child. Well, well, it seems the goddess has not entirely forsaken Hesperia. And Molpe is right. Polgara shouldn't have a child just yet, she has enough to do with Anikka's education at the moment.
    1.14: So Molpe is still not quite sure if so-called Diana isn't an assassin... I mean, could still be. The chances of an Amazon tribe welcoming a young woman and her little daughter are rather good, and their enemies would of course know that. However, she sounded sincerely pressured and desperate. (Also, I like that you incorporated a rule of hospitality. That was a large part of many societies after all)
    fdZPJYy.jpg
    Chapters | Updated 09/26
    @MrsRacooney

I'm so glad you picked up on the rule of hospitality! Many ancient cultures have used it, but I thought it would be interesting to have the Hesperians use it in some capacity. As you noted, this is indeed Dina and her daughter (or Constantina as she's called in this story) and they've ended up in the strangest place for them.

Molpe is more worried that she has not done what the Goddess intended her to do, and also isn't sure how to handle this. But their tribe needs all the population it can get, so...
  • HaflingerHaflinger Posts: 973 Member
    Seems like I missed quite a bit...
    Regarding 1.13: The name Odysseus confuses me each single time I read it. Heavy déjà-vus :D

Tee hee. I saw a greeeeeeeat meme on FB (cuz really Classicist Memes for Hellenistic Teens is da bomb for Classicist nerds minors like moi) regarding our buddy Nobody. Remind me to send it to you sometime.
    @Haflinger

That sounds interesting!
  • HaflingerHaflinger Posts: 973 Member
    @lilypadmeulin Oh, it is. Bit of an inside joke for Classicists, but it does make sense, and gets a good chuckle.

Been reading your stuff, it's good. 👍

I'm stuck somewhere in an endless loop of plot possibilities and boredom. Hopefully the new EP world will get me going.
    @Haflinger

I feel like it's a very good thing for classic based stories!
    Under Our Shield (1.15)

Finally, an update! I've had a LONG time of it.
    yess! new chapter! this made my day!!
    Melop is very kind to take in and offer protection to a woman who seems to be fleeing from something. I hope this doesn't come back to cause issues.
    I really enjoyed Polgara's insight on the nobility and possibly story of Diana and Marcella! also that she knows what others think of the amazons. Maybe taking in two outsiders will change how the outside world views amazons!

I like the Hesperian oath and welcoming of a new sister to the tribe. It was very sweet and makes it offical. also maybe worrisome if someone breaks an oath.
    Also! Melop looked very regal and queenly when upon her throne.
    ETagn5d.jpg
    Thank you for reading @SpectresValkyrie

The outside world has an established view of the Amazons, but Diana isn't likely to cause issues by herself. However, there are several things that are outside factors that really do play into this.

Welcoming outsiders into the tribe has always been something that the Amazons do, and will be in the future. If someone broke the oath, they'd be banished at the very least. But that's maybe spoilers for another plot thread...

Molpe is very regal - she always seems more like a queen when she's on her throne, to me!
    Diana (1.16)

This one has been in drafts for a while, but boom! Here's the update!
    Wonderful Chapter! I liked learning more about Diana.
    Diana seems to be picking up the language and culture okay. it must be difficult to pick up the new language but she seems to be doing okay. I am glad Polgara is helping her out. I hope Diana can figure out her role in life now or that she finds peace where she doesn't have to be so worried for her and her child's future.
    ETagn5d.jpg
    @SpectresValkyrie

Thank you for reading this chapter! Yes, Diana is basically having constant language lessons to help her adjust, and the Amazons will ensure that no harm comes to her or her daughter. But I hope you can see how the plot thickens. I've been trying to find a good balance between blatantly showing things and trying to add some intrigue.
    @SpectresValkyrie

Thank you for reading this chapter! Yes, Diana is basically having constant language lessons to help her adjust, and the Amazons will ensure that no harm comes to her or her daughter. But I hope you can see how the plot thickens. I've been trying to find a good balance between blatantly showing things and trying to add some intrigue.

It is great!! I can't wait to see what happens next with Hesperia and just how Diana's story will affect everyone's future and the relationships outside Hesperia.
    ETagn5d.jpg