Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dream Home Decorator Positive Thoughts Thread

Comments

• SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    I love the new shelving units in the DHD pack, even more than I thought I would. They are great for apartments. I can use them in apartments to give my sims storage space for small collectibles. There so many different ways to put the units together…… love it! I’m holding off on the decorator career because someone said there was a profile bug after asking clients about colors and music….. anyone know anymore about that?
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    So far, I played 5 gigs and it has been a lot of fun. I will actually keep playing it. Despite the amount of criticism that was on here before and around the release, I actually think that if you like the theme and want to play the career, it's a very fun pack with gameplay. I like being pushed to work with unusual content and to get out of my normal box. I also like that the renovations stay, meaning that the world gets more customized. It's really fun if you are a rotational player and know most of the households or want to get to know them.

In my case, I have a save full of households already that run into each other and so it is fun to interact with them. For the rooms for the gig, the decorator takes a lot more time pulling everything together and customizing. Sure, I was renovating before but not in as detailed a way and I like using the new objects from the pack.

My decorator character is named Violet Marina Veerters, she's Dutch. Her first gig bombed when she was renovating for a married couple and the husband fell in love with her - without my initiating that. The wife hated the renovation and was crying the whole time. Violet Marina has ended up marrying the husband who is a bohemian artist. They bond over a love of art and design. I haven't played his ex-wife yet but she's going to destroy that room. Hey, it's actually gameplay.

Violet's gigs have gone much better than that since then. She stays focused on the job. Her second client was already pretty stylish but I upgraded the kitchen and she loved it. The style was a mix of City Living and French country. Another memorable gig included turning Ted Roswell's bedroom into a gothic storybook mashup of green and brown with a poker playing lounge and a countertop oven along one wall of the bedroom because his wife loves to bake. This way she can bake from her master bedroom but it actually looks quite cool. There's a hanging photo of poker playing dogs.

Also interesting is that a client has invited her back twice who really likes Cosmolux style which I had never heard of. She turned a dull Victorian lounge into a mash-up of Get Famous and Bowling Night decor. She then turned a bedroom into the same style when she was invited back. The client liked blue so I continued the theme, everything had a slightly retro but very stylish look. I have photos on another computer but it was something I wouldn't have done on my own and looks very cool IMO.

I will go back and play those houses later so it means that the world is getting progressively more stylish. They're welcome to add more style themes.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • dogzdinnerdogzdinner Posts: 422 Member
    ok, something about this pack is bugged....but I find Im not minding too much!
    Hilda has been on several gigs now. She consistently raids the fridge, swipes belongings, pranks the toilet and insults the client taste. She then proceeds to decorate in whatever colour or style the client hates and yet still they seem to love it! (either its because Hilda does have an eye for style or they are just too terrified of her to complain!LOL).

She just had a stellar christmas too. Got into a fight with Clement Frost and then proceeded to give her poor son a stack of bills as his present!
    (sometimes its just fun to be bad!).
  • Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member
    edited June 2021
    I’ve created and placed every household in my save. Years of enjoyable time spent in CAS. So, I do know every household in my game. However, I’m letting the game decide their likes/dislikes and decor category for everyone except my main household and their relatives (I’ve only given my main household and their relatives likes/dislikes but no decor options).

What is fun is trying to design something they will like because the game doesn’t give you all the facts for everyone in the household. The challenge and fun would diminish if it were that easy.

I’m curious how many have a male vs a female interior decorator. I decided to go with a female interior designer. Dressing my female Sims is far more enjoyable.

The clothes in DHD are a great addition to CAS.

Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    Hearts4u wrote: »
    I’ve created and placed every household in my save. Years of enjoyable time spent in CAS. So, I do know every household in my game. However, I’m letting the game decide their likes/dislikes and decor category for everyone except my main household and their relatives I have only given them likes/dislikes but no decor options.

What is fun is trying to design something they will like because the game doesn’t give you all the facts for everyone in the household. The challenge and fun would diminish if it were that easy.

I’m curious how many have a male vs a female interior decorator. I decided to go with a female interior designer. Dressing my female Sims is far more enjoyable.

The clothes in DHD are a great addition to CAS.

I have a female one too.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    I actually started a new save just to test this pack out and my designer is a male.

Although he is a little bit of a diva and throws fits often.

8NCWlaJ.png

Traits:
    Hot Headed
    Bro
    Creative

Likes the color black
    Likes Alternative Music

Dislikes 18 other random things, so he is always miserable when doing renovations because there is always something he dislikes about each place. LOL
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,707 Member
    Some clutter for your interior designer's office.

• davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    I personally love it. I'm playing more now and loving it than probably any other time since Sims4 launched. I'm happy with it. I wish it had come with more items such as a pizza oven, maybe a new exercise bike, some more kids toys, and some more playground equipment. Many things we got except for the ovens and sectional sofas were what we have. Also, during gameplay, I noticed that once I go to the place to decorate, If I don't ask the color question or it gets dropped :s then sometimes, it never shows back up. I've noticed this several times. Sometimes, I have to get half a friendship bar to get the color question. They need to be stuck to the friendship menu permanantly regardless of level of friendship.
    I want it to be added to their pic in the relationship panel so I don't have to keep up with that and shouldn't have to ask more times if I forget.
    It would be nice if they add favorite foods to the likes dislikes as well. It would also be nice if they can do all the gigs they can get to in the time allotted, not just one a day. Other than those changes, I love it. I can't wait to get to gigs.
  • GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    I finally got a chance to give interior decorating another go!

r3vsb32.jpg

This is my rookie interior decorator, Olivia Clutterbug about to reveal her open plan living/kitchen renovation to the Pleasant family.

The brief included that they hate the colour white, love red, and wanted a piano. I loved this gig as it was a real challenge for me, I stray away from bolder colours and tend to keep things neutral, plus I had to squeeze a piano into their tiny living space! But Olivia pulled it off, and they loved it! She even got a bonus!
  • ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member
    So far I am loving the pack. I recognized early on the pack's intention was to try and bring a lot of build buy requested and needed stuff for the game in one shot. This pack's universal approach on decor and design items really makes it a great addition to the game. The modular shelving makes for great new shelving for retail stores, the walk in closet stuff also, compliments retail clothing stores wonderfully! I have wanted a separate stove top / oven set as long as I wanted vacuum's in the game (2004 lol) and so to get these items after all these years it's been a fun if not a buggy few months! I am glad tho with the recent updates and the new content I think it's all great.

My only "hmmm" moment was when the active career hardly has any "career specific objects". Seems like all the active careers have a bunch of special objects intended to enhance that career's gameplay and this doesn't. There's clearly a special zoomed camera, a memory card and an iPad, non of which are actually interactive with the exception that the memory card is in the inventory. I've only gotten to level 7 so far, but none theses.... I thought a design table would be part of it. And why did I hope for a "painting the walls object"? I must have dreamed it and so I thought it was coming haha but a couple more things like that to add to the career outside of the actual job itself would have been nice, especially on the computer at minimum! At least some new "pretend the sim is doing something else" it really doesn't require much work on their end lol "research trends", "design spaces", "order furniture" you know what I mean? More to make it immersive outside of the work hours.

Love the versatility of this pack to be quite honest. It reminds me of a sandbox sims game where so much of the stuff that was created was done so in a way that you can maximize it's gameplay potential (like how many couches can we make now, and seating for retail/lounges).

Happy Simmer here! Although, I been kinda flying high despite the bugs since "Bust the Dust". When you get a gameplay object you wanted for like 20 years, it keeps you a happy simmer! LOL Also, this pack is great in my opinion. The bugs I have noticed are silly and not huge (like mis informed notifications, no were not at the Frye's home, we're at Foye's LOL Cute pack nonetheless!
  • ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member
    davina1221 wrote: »
    I personally love it. I'm playing more now and loving it than probably any other time since Sims4 launched. I'm happy with it. I wish it had come with more items such as a pizza oven, maybe a new exercise bike, some more kids toys, and some more playground equipment. Many things we got except for the ovens and sectional sofas were what we have. Also, during gameplay, I noticed that once I go to the place to decorate, If I don't ask the color question or it gets dropped :s then sometimes, it never shows back up. I've noticed this several times. Sometimes, I have to get half a friendship bar to get the color question. They need to be stuck to the friendship menu permanantly regardless of level of friendship.
    I want it to be added to their pic in the relationship panel so I don't have to keep up with that and shouldn't have to ask more times if I forget.
    It would be nice if they add favorite foods to the likes dislikes as well. It would also be nice if they can do all the gigs they can get to in the time allotted, not just one a day. Other than those changes, I love it. I can't wait to get to gigs.

This. Wasn't sure if this was intended by them or not because it seems so completely random when they want to tell you certain things.... but I noticed more than any other that the "favorite color" one is inconsistent the most of them all. Also, I hate they are not capitalized properly like the rest and they don't have the symbol to let you know its' part of the career. Hard to find them at times!
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,370 Member
    I finally bought the pack a while ago. I would've waited for longer but because the new expansion is coming, I wanted to buy the game pack because I also wanted the Courtyard Oasis kit and I didn't want to pay for them all the same time.
    I played with Patina, but I only sent her to work. Designing anything isn't my thing and I don't want to do it. I like that we can just send them to work. I don't know how to build anything with the shelves that connect with each other, but I'm glad they're there, so maybe I can find houses from the gallery that are using those. :)
    I especially love the new beds and ovens.

Since Dream Home Decorator launched, online fan spaces have been flooded with frustrated
    Simmers complaining that the game pack makes no sense; how are they supposed to design
    a snowboarding, rock-climbing, pipe organ themed bathroom?! Why do clients give them likes
    and dislikes that are completely unrelated to home design?

Well, it’s because that’s not far from the truth of what real interior designers have to deal with.
    Any avid viewer of interior design shows knows that designers will often try to find out the
    clients’ hobbies and lifestyle as well as their visual preferences in order to design a space that
    both looks nice and is functional for that person’s lifestyle. They also have to contend with
    multiple clients in the same house whose preferences clash with each other. Their job is to sort
    through that conflicting information and gently steer the clients in a different direction if they’re
    going way off course. That’s the whole challenge of being a designer.

A reddit post by Intern_Waffle posted in the /r/Sims4 reddit sums up exactly this.

https://simscommunity.info/2021/06/10/this-post-puts-the-sims-4-dream-home-decorator-into-perspective/
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member

Since Dream Home Decorator launched, online fan spaces have been flooded with frustrated
    Simmers complaining that the game pack makes no sense; how are they supposed to design
    a snowboarding, rock-climbing, pipe organ themed bathroom?! Why do clients give them likes
    and dislikes that are completely unrelated to home design?

Well, it’s because that’s not far from the truth of what real interior designers have to deal with.
    Any avid viewer of interior design shows knows that designers will often try to find out the
    clients’ hobbies and lifestyle as well as their visual preferences in order to design a space that
    both looks nice and is functional for that person’s lifestyle. They also have to contend with
    multiple clients in the same house whose preferences clash with each other. Their job is to sort
    through that conflicting information and gently steer the clients in a different direction if they’re
    going way off course. That’s the whole challenge of being a designer.

A reddit post by Intern_Waffle posted in the /r/Sims4 reddit sums up exactly this.

https://simscommunity.info/2021/06/10/this-post-puts-the-sims-4-dream-home-decorator-into-perspective/

Yes! This pack looks so simple: just renovate somebody's house and get paid. But it really is more complicated than it looks. I love how random it seems because it makes my sims and the NPC sims more real. I was sure my last reno would be a fail because the sim was so uninterested in anything. She was bored and frowned constantly, ignoring my sim. It took a lot of chatting back and forth before I finally got all the info boxes filled. With very little direction (hates orange, hates storyland furniture, and something else) I decided to take a plain minimally furnished living/dining room and make it pretty, because at least then I'd like it. She walks in still bored and loved it!

I'm suddenly having to interact with the client, and it's forcing me into a different style of play. I play my sims to be like I am, introverted and a homebody. Suddenly I have to have contact with someone who isn't my simspouse/roommate, and I have to make my sim leave the house and go somewhere else. I usually ignore the NPC sims and now I have to deal with them. I'm also using different furniture and colors and it's really fun.

Since my Mom and I watch home renovation shows on HGTV all the time I was pretty sure this would be fun and I was right. I love it!
  • GirafHuntrGirafHuntr Posts: 759 Member
    I have a Sim who just graduated from University, just getting her and her fiance settled in and plan to have her start this career. So I haven't gotten to dive in, but I am personally really excited. I am someone who LOVES to see beautiful places in the Sims but doesn't generally have the patience or the skill to create them. I download replacements for just about every public lot from the gallery, as well as lots of rooms I can just drop into houses. I do put up pictures and a few clutter items to reflect the personalities and interests of my individual Sims in their bedrooms, but I kind of grumble about getting around to it. As a story-driven and character-driven rotational player, I am thrilled that this pack is going to bring building into my gameplay and teach me to enjoy it a lot more.
    My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
  • brackencat31brackencat31 Posts: 318 Member
    I ve just bought and played this pack and so far I m really loving it. I m not a builder but I m enjoying doing different renovations. After reading all the criticism I was nt expecting much but so far so good.
  • SimtaniumSimtanium Posts: 256 Member
    I adore the build mode items! <3
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,777 Member
    This was my very first try, they liked it , maybe because they had similar likes. (not set by myself)

8SRV0v1.png
    s2QnhrL.png
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    That's a big improvement on their kitchen!
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,777 Member
    edited June 2021
    MVWdeZT wrote: »
    That's a big improvement on their kitchen!

My sim talked with all, they all loved black, most hated yellow and brown, most liked orange :) Eric liked Island theme, so I only used black, orange and as much stuff from IL I could :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • GirafHuntrGirafHuntr Posts: 759 Member
    I did my first gig! I had so much fun. I am really not a talented builder but as I suspected, the guidance made it more interesting and easier. And it made me sort through all the bb in ways I don't usually, so I am discovering things that are there that I never knew about and never would have used before. Similarly to the above post, I was lucky in that they had similar tastes. They both loved green, one of them didn't like black, and one liked fitness and one liked violin. So I used plenty of green, plenty of plants, and gave them a punching bag and a violin. Their daughter was like, meh, but I couldn't get any preferences out of her and it wasn't her room anyway!

YM37AD1.png

ht1M8MB.png

My username has been my internet handle for over 20 years since I was 16 and refers to when I had a crush on a very tall boy. I intend absolutely no violence toward beautiful giraffes. <3
  • Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    AmeliaTodd wrote: »
    somewhsome wrote: »

haha, an interesting take on the Princess and the Pea :D

There is another one, but I'm not sure what is the reference of this one?

qVcc0pl.jpg

Maybe im just old but playing a game of jacks came to mind lol you have to bounce a ball and pick up the jacks before the ball comes back down. It was actually really fun lol
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
    Hope to get back to my next design gig soon. I haven't been in game since the announcement of Cottage Living. Too busy scooping for info and watching that reveal video. :p
    edited June 2021
    Isn't this cute? ☺️
    Patina's jumpsuit.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CQEIyEoqgD4/?utm_medium=copy_link

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top