Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The cow/llama shed door is a black hole: Looks Dreadful, Needs Updated

SappySifakaSappySifaka Posts: 132 Member
Super stoked for this pack overall. However, I do have one major gripe (aside from picnic baskets being tied to tables). Why is the cowshed entryway a Looney Tunes-style solid black hole? This feels incredibly immersion-breaking and erodes the magic of the storybook atmosphere that the team has so wonderfully created with this pack. Even if the team doesn't have the time/resources to model and animate the full interior, could we at least get a fade texture or a door that opens and closes? I'm trying hard to enjoy my general excitement for this pack and not fixate on this, but it's such an eyesore and draws my attention every time.

I'll say it straight up, please fix this EA. The pack is beautiful, and it deserves a cowshed that doesn't look like a Looney Tunes hole. At least toss in some kind of fade along that SHARP bottom edge, please, please. Much love
51244064120_bbf46dc59c.jpgblack hole 2 by Sappy Sifaka, on Flickr
51242295542_9d1584f35e_c.jpgblack hole 1 by Sappy Sifaka, on Flickr
Post edited by SappySifaka on

Comments

• SimtaniumSimtanium Posts: 256 Member
    Ok, now you've pointed it out it does look pretty bad...
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited June 2021
    Oof, yeah, a door that opens and closes would probably have been a better idea. Now that you have pointed it out I can't unsee it.

So the shed is more or less a rabbit hole, even our poor cows and lamas can't escape rabbit holes in the sims4...
  • SappySifakaSappySifaka Posts: 132 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    I'm not sure whether I would find it even more weird if the cow/lama would open and close the door on its own every time they enter or leave the shed. Well, I think I would.

lol, I totally get what you mean. Although, doors auto open and close for sims as well, it isn't like they use the door knob. So relative to that, shed doors auto opening and closing for cows/llamas in the Sims 4 wouldn't be that weird. I'd obviously prefer an open shed with a visible interior, but anything would be better than this black hole :'(
    logion wrote: »
    Oof, yeah, a door that opens and closes would probably have been a better idea. Now that you have pointed it out I can't unsee it.

So the shed is more or less a rabbit hole, even our poor cows and lamas can't escape rabbit holes in the sims4...

Yeah, totally. Although, I wouldn't mind the shed being a rabbit hole that much if the opening didn't look so jarring. I'd obviously prefer a fully visible interior, but given that this iteration of cows and chickens (and the addition of llamas) already seems like a much more detailed take than in the Sims 3, I can understand why the sheds are rabbit holes. If the focus went into giving the animals unique animations, gameplay, personality, and purpose then a rabbit hole shed is totally fine to me...just make it look good, ya know?
    edited June 2021
    logion wrote: »

Yeah, totally. Although, I wouldn't mind the shed being a rabbit hole that much if the opening didn't look so jarring. I'd obviously prefer a fully visible interior, but given that this iteration of cows and chickens (and the addition of llamas) already seems like a much more detailed take than in the Sims 3, I can understand why the sheds are rabbit holes. If the focus went into giving the animals unique animations, gameplay, personality, and purpose then a rabbit hole shed is totally fine to me...just make it look good, ya know?

Yeah, it looks like they put a lot of detail into the animals, so it looks a bit off that the sheds just have black holes that they will probably fade into. I wonder how big the area is that they will roam around.

I'm guessing they will fade into those when you are sleeping so the game can go into 3x speed.
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Given the amount of bugs and a trapped baby the animal stalls are the least of this games issues. Eye candy is not going to keep this game from a crash and burn.
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    This thread makes me wonder what the poor animals will do when it is bitter cold or when there is a dangerous storm, if you have Seasons installed. Will they disappear into those black holes to hide in their sheds for the duration? Or stand shivering in the bitter cold?
    Given the amount of bugs and a trapped baby the animal stalls are the least of this games issues. Eye candy is not going to keep this game from a crash and burn.

I feel that. But at the same time, one issue doesn't erase the presence of another. I agree that base game upgrades (free babies, cars, edit neighborhood) and bug fixes are desperately needed, but design and graphic standards are also an essential element of any game. I'm not going to not call out an issue just because there may be larger ones that the team is already aware of.
    This thread makes me wonder what the poor animals will do when it is bitter cold or when there is a dangerous storm, if you have Seasons installed. Will they disappear into those black holes to hide in their sheds for the duration? Or stand shivering in the bitter cold?

I wonder that too, I thought about building them a barn during the winter but...that doesn't work if they are locked to their own shed.
    edited June 2021

Oh, that's interesting. I hadn't thought about how the animals might react to weather events. I imagine they'll just go into their sheds when it's raining, snowing, sub-zero. I do hope they leave footprints in the snow :D It's all in the details for me
  • AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited June 2021

Why would you think they would get cold? I don't recall cats and dogs being affected by temperature and they aren't "object" animals. Am I missing something?
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,019 Member
    I wish they could have just, like, made a stack of hay or a stall for them to sleep in, as opposed to these buildings. Then we can build barns or houses in whatever style we like, or just let them sleep on the ground/in a pasture.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
    edited June 2021
    Gordy wrote: »
    I wish they could have just, like, made a stack of hay or a stall for them to sleep in, as opposed to these buildings. Then we can build barns or houses in whatever style we like, or just let them sleep on the ground/in a pasture.

Yeah, I agree with you there. I think the ability to build our own sheds/barns would have been A+. That being said, I think the style of the shed object is totally fine, minus the black hole entryway. I personally like the style of this shed better than the cowshed from the Sims 3 store (which also has a black hole for an entryway). BUT, I still recognize that the Cottage Living shed is in a very specific style. Players who want a more contemporary/modern farm look might not be happy with the provincial look that the sheds have (unless there are one or two variations of the shed).
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    Anmirla wrote: »

Why would you think they would get cold? I don't recall cats and dogs being affected by temperature and they aren't "object" animals. Am I missing something?

Well, maybe pets don't literally get cold, but for whatever reason, my Sims' dogs and cats always run back indoors during thunderstorms and blizzards, and their little icon shows the orange colour of the tense emotion. They also do not go outside, except to go potty, when it is bitter cold. So I assumed they were at least somehow aware of the temperature. It would be unrealistic if the cows and llamas stood outside unaffected in the bitter cold or in a snowstorm, but it would be annoying if they spent all their time inside their sheds as well, especially if there a couple of days of storms in a row (as sometimes happens in Windenberg). I don't know which would be worse, honestly. I presume you can't milk or shear them when they are inside their sheds.
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,574 Member
    There are actually quite some tuning files to deal with cats and dogs reacting to temperature and indoor/outdoor activities.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    Ew, it really is an ugly black hole. That's definitely screaming for a quick remedy.

Fortunately, a simple little reskinning in photoshop should do the trick with a decent barn door graphic.

But for those that don't know how to do recolours, I hear that cows and llamas have a thing for curtains. Maybe those stylish Royal Valance ones from Get Famous with the gold trimming? Who doesn't like a little bling bling in their life, amirite? Or perhaps Daisy the Rainbow Cow would prefer something a bit more fun and colourful like the ones from Cats and Dogs.... :D
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    It's stupid why they couldn't do a laying down animation for the animals inside the shed and made the interior 3d. Just so stupid. The shed is too big also, and it looks bad imo. I'm not even sure I'd want to place the giant thing on my lots - and only one animal per shed? Why not two? So bad.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited June 2021
    Super stoked for this pack overall. However, I do have one major gripe (aside from picnic baskets being tied to tables). Why is the cowshed entryway a Looney Tunes-style solid black hole? This feels incredibly immersion-breaking and erodes the magic of the storybook atmosphere that the team has so wonderfully created with this pack. Even if the team doesn't have the time/resources to model, animate, and shade the interior, could we not at least get a door that opens and closes? I'm trying hard not to fixate on this one thing and just enjoy my general excitement for this pack, but it's such an eyesore and draws my attention every time.

I'll say it straight up, please fix this EA. The pack is beautiful, and it deserves a cowshed that doesn't look like a Looney Tunes hole. At least toss in some kind of fade along that SHARP bottom edge, please, please. Much love o:)
    51244064120_bbf46dc59c.jpgblack hole 2 by Sappy Sifaka, on Flickr
    51242295542_9d1584f35e_c.jpgblack hole 1 by Sappy Sifaka, on Flickr

A door would a much better option. 😎👍.

I hope you see the animals walk in and out and not just appear/disappear. I need to watch the trailer again. Also, if it’s one animal per shed then you have to place a lot of sheds if you want more. I’m hoping you can set the amount of animals per shed.

Although in Sims 3 the bistro, bookstore etc have a little interior as Sims enter and exit. As long as you don’t zoom in too close. Maybe they could do the same with the animal sheds? 🤔

I don’t like the teleporting aspect. (Like I’d rather Sims going to work walked off to the edge of the neighbourhood than just disappear outside their house.)

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Yeah, as others have said, it looks pretty bad now it's been pointed out, reminds me of the lazy ball pit texture from the Toddler pack. Also in agreement with everyone else, a door would have been a better option.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    They've still got another month to fix the cow and llama sheds. Maybe this should be in Feedback!

I'm wondering if we can breed cows and llamas or are they sexless? I'd love to see some calves and crias eventually if they aren't now.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    I hope people are really, really loud about this or else we'll end up with the ball pit 2.0.
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member

The Sims also has to milk the cows when it is blistering cold, which might kill you Sim.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    It's interesting.

The Cow shed in TS3 is similar, but at least you can see the inside of the doorpost and part of the ground is faded. Adding those details alone would make a huge difference.

Milk-Dairy.jpg

I agree with others. It looks like they're doing another ballpit on this one...