Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cottage Living Facts Thread

Comments

• KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    edited June 2021
    The English do have a milk bread. It's called Milk Roll, but I don't know how "traditional" it is. It's generally more associated with the Midlands and Northern Regions of the UK.
  • GageaGagea Posts: 1,275 Member
    edited June 2021

Heidi is Austrian😉

That's not correct. Heidi was written by Swiss author Johanna Spyri and is situated in Grisons in Switzerland.

• Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    That will probably be one of my new favorite lots as well.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Honestly, why couldn't they have gone with the real chocolate ingredient of cacao beans? I mean, I know those grow on trees in the Amazon, not in England, and that they don't make cows give chocolate milk, but surely someone could have come up with some reason why they'd be found near the town and have this new ability. They didn't really need to create an entirely fictional plant. I still remember my disappointment in Jungle Adventures on hearing there would be nine harvestables, which seemed incredible at first, only to find that most of them were those mystical emotion berries (merry berries, vimberries etc) only useful for exploring tombs.

I hear what you're saying, but as far as I'm concerned, chocoberries are cacao beans. I mean, as far as my headcanon will be concerned, they will be. The Sims franchise has always had cutesie names for some things that are similar but not exactly the same as what they are in real life, but we all know what the real world analogue is supposed to be.

My bigger concern is whether we will be able to plant/grow them for ourselves once we have foraged them. We should be able to do that with the new foraged items, as we can do with the herbalism plants and morel mushrooms from Outdoor Retreat. But I don't think we can count on that until we know for sure. Similarly, I hope we can actually use them in recipes with chocolate. My fear is that it might be a situation where they can only be foraged and only be sold or fed to cows, but I hope that's not the case.

By the way, at least with the mystical emotion berries we can make juice with them now, with Eco Living, and I believe they can be recycled or used for fertilizer. So at least they're not 100% useless.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,376 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    Honestly, why couldn't they have gone with the real chocolate ingredient of cacao beans? I mean, I know those grow on trees in the Amazon, not in England, and that they don't make cows give chocolate milk, but surely someone could have come up with some reason why they'd be found near the town and have this new ability. They didn't really need to create an entirely fictional plant. I still remember my disappointment in Jungle Adventures on hearing there would be nine harvestables, which seemed incredible at first, only to find that most of them were those mystical emotion berries (merry berries, vimberries etc) only useful for exploring tombs.

I hear what you're saying, but as far as I'm concerned, chocoberries are cacao beans. I mean, as far as my headcanon will be concerned, they will be. The Sims franchise has always had cutesie names for some things that are similar but not exactly the same as what they are in real life, but we all know what the real world analogue is supposed to be.

My bigger concern is whether we will be able to plant/grow them for ourselves once we have foraged them. We should be able to do that with the new foraged items, as we can do with the herbalism plants and morel mushrooms from Outdoor Retreat. But I don't think we can count on that until we know for sure. Similarly, I hope we can actually use them in recipes with chocolate. My fear is that it might be a situation where they can only be foraged and only be sold or fed to cows, but I hope that's not the case.

By the way, at least with the mystical emotion berries we can make juice with them now, with Eco Living, and I believe they can be recycled or used for fertilizer. So at least they're not 100% useless.

I would love to be able to make chocolate with the chocoberries. We even have a fancy coloured cow. :smiley:
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »

You mean the starter one to the right of the waterfall?
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »

You mean the starter one to the right of the waterfall?

That is the one.
  • SimtaniumSimtanium Posts: 256 Member
    Love that lot. I wished I lived somewhere like that on my own in real life sometimes. :tongue:
  • AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    There is also a jar of what looks like Aubergine Preserve (is that a thing?) in front and a third dish I can't identify (of red stacked layers with something white, possibly cheese or mashed potatoes on top). Someone said it might be Eggplant or Vegetable Lasagna, but that doesn't strike me as a very English dish. Does anyone know what it is?

To me it looks like moussaka but that is not very English either.

Some people have been referring to it as lasagna, but I'm thinking it's Shepherd's Pie. And the other dish sitting on the right side of the table looks like Bangers and Mash to me. Yum!
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    There is also a jar of what looks like Aubergine Preserve (is that a thing?) in front and a third dish I can't identify (of red stacked layers with something white, possibly cheese or mashed potatoes on top). Someone said it might be Eggplant or Vegetable Lasagna, but that doesn't strike me as a very English dish. Does anyone know what it is?

Some people have been referring to it as lasagna, but I'm thinking it's Shepherd's Pie. And the other dish sitting on the right side of the table looks like Bangers and Mash to me. Yum!

I think there is a Sim eating Shepherd's Pie in the trailer; he's among the group of 3 at the picnic table. The dish looks like a square of ground beef (which is brown in colour), with a layer of mashed potatoes on top. It looks like Shepherd's Pie to me, at any rate. This dish of red stacked layers with white on top looks different than that, which is why I asked about it. Is Shepherd's Pie made in three layers like that? I defer to the experts.
  • ChildrenofhurinChildrenofhurin Posts: 138 Member

The baking skill from GTW already comes with Shepherd’s Pie, so I don’t think it’s that
  • lori171957lori171957 Posts: 233 Member
    edited June 2021

I think there is a Sim eating Shepherd's Pie in the trailer; he's among the group of 3 at the picnic table. The dish looks like a square of ground beef (which is brown in colour), with a layer of mashed potatoes on top. It looks like Shepherd's Pie to me, at any rate. This dish of red stacked layers with white on top looks different than that, which is why I asked about it. Is Shepherd's Pie made in three layers like that? I defer to the experts.

Not any shepherd's pie I have ever made, and it is one of my favorites so I have made a lot. Shepherd's pie is a thick layer of meat with mash potatoes on top. You can mix up the meat choice and the topping. My very favorite is beef with golden sweet potato as a topping. I think Lasagna (originally from Italy) has become a universal dish, it is served in pubs here in Australia too.
    edited June 2021

It depends on how someone makes their Shepherd's Pie. Some make the traditional casserole with only two layers, meat and veggies mixed together in a red tomato-ey sauce with the top layer of mashed potatoes.

But I've always made mine in three layers with the meat in a brown gravy sauce (hubby and I prefer a creamy beef gravy):

- bottom layer is hamburger, onions, and mushrooms in a brown beef gravy
    - middle layer is a mix of kernel corn, peas, and carrots (or sometimes I'll just do a layer of creamed corn)
    - top layer is mashed potatoes

Fun Fact: the original traditional Shepherd's Pie is made with ground lamb. Hence the reason why it was named Shepherd's Pie (a shepherd tending to his flock of sheep in the fields). But since ground lamb isn't easy to come by these days nor is it easy on the pocket book, most people just substitute it with hamburger.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain

The baking skill from GTW already comes with Shepherd’s Pie, so I don’t think it’s that

Oh really? What level do you have to be in the baking skill to get that recipe, I haven't noticed it thus far? Sounds like I need to improve my sims' baking skills... I usually just work on their cooking skills.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member

Fun Fact: the original traditional Shepherd's Pie is made with ground lamb. Hence the reason why it was named Shepherd's Pie (a shepherd tending to his flock of sheep in the fields).

I've always heard that shepherd's pie is made with lamb, and that if you use beef, it is properly called cottage pie instead.

Who knows, even though we already have shepherd's pie in the game, maybe they will add cottage pie for Cottage Living, both for the name and since we will have cows now.
    edited June 2021

It depends on how someone makes their Shepherd's Pie. Some make the traditional casserole with only two layers, meat and veggies mixed together in a red tomato-ey sauce with the top layer of mashed potatoes.

But I've always made mine in three layers with the meat in a brown gravy sauce (hubby and I prefer a creamy beef gravy):

- middle layer is a mix of kernel corn, peas, and carrots (or sometimes I'll just do a layer of creamed corn)

Fun Fact: the original traditional Shepherd's Pie is made with ground lamb. Hence the reason why it was named Shepherd's Pie (a shepherd tending to his flock of sheep in the fields). But since ground lamb isn't easy to come by these days nor is it easy on the pocket book, most people just substitute it with hamburger.

Thank you for the information, which was all very interesting. What is that brown and white dish in front of the Sim on the left at 1:27 in the trailer then, I wonder? I had assumed it was Shepherd's Pie, but now it is the new mystery. (The Sim across from him appears to be eating what I thought looked like Toad in a hole, and the one beside him has a plate of what looks like it could be two pieces of Beef Wellington.)

Thank you for the information, which was all very interesting. What is that brown and white dish in front of the Sim on the left at 1:27 in the trailer then, I wonder? I had assumed it was Shepherd's Pie, but now it is the new mystery. (The Sim across from him appears to be eating what I thought looked like Toad in a hole, and the one beside him has a plate of what looks like it could be two pieces of Beef Wellington.)

Well at this point, who knows what any of the dishes are. :D

The only one that looks blatantly obvious is the Beef Wellington (which has also been confirmed by the gurus).
    Amapola76 wrote: »

Fun Fact: the original traditional Shepherd's Pie is made with ground lamb. Hence the reason why it was named Shepherd's Pie (a shepherd tending to his flock of sheep in the fields).

I've always heard that shepherd's pie is made with lamb, and that if you use beef, it is properly called cottage pie instead.

Who knows, even though we already have shepherd's pie in the game, maybe they will add cottage pie for Cottage Living, both for the name and since we will have cows now.

You might be onto something. Maybe they gave us Cottage Pie not realizing it's pretty much the same thing as Shepherd's Pie? It wouldn't surprise me if that's what they did. *sigh*

But then again, my sims will be more than happy to chow down on both of them. Most of my sims are foodies (like me). :)

Well at this point, who knows what any of the dishes are. :D

The only one that looks blatantly obvious is the Beef Wellington (which has also been confirmed by the gurus).

Well of course these are just guesses, made after staring at these images on my high resolution TV. I suppose I should just be more patient and wait the six weeks until the pack releases, which would no doubt be more sensible.

Well of course these are just guesses, made after staring at these images on my high resolution TV. I suppose I should just be more patient and wait the six weeks until the pack releases, which would no doubt be more sensible.

Ha! If we were sensible people, we'd be doing something more constructive with our time like saving the whales or curing cancer instead of staring at our monitors trying to figure out digital food dishes. :D
  • ChildrenofhurinChildrenofhurin Posts: 138 Member

Oh really? What level do you have to be in the baking skill to get that recipe, I haven't noticed it thus far? Sounds like I need to improve my sims' baking skills... I usually just work on their cooking skills.

It’s level 6 of the baking skill, cooked on an oven (uses carrot and potato as ingredients)

• lovemy4slovemy4s Posts: 153 Member

Kironide wrote: »
    lovemy4s wrote: »
    This was spotted in the trailer. A telephone booth but it's probably not useable.

Doctor? I’m not liking the new color, my friend!

Doctor? Doctor Who? :D

I knew my fellow whovians would get it! It’s funny because I’m an American and it’s always makes me smile when I wear my doctor who shirts and a person catches it. It’s rare that they do but it’s beginning to happen a little more often.
  • KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    edited June 2021
    Kironide wrote: »
    This was spotted in the trailer. A telephone booth but it's probably not useable.

Doctor? I’m not liking the new color, my friend!

Doctor? Doctor Who? :D

I knew my fellow whovians would get it! It’s funny because I’m an American and it’s always makes me smile when I wear my doctor who shirts and a person catches it. It’s rare that they do but it’s beginning to happen a little more often.

Dr. Who is a generational institution in the UK. Whenever the subject comes up in conversation, there are always endless arguments on who's the best Doctor (Tom Baker) and the best bug-eyed monsters (Silurians) and the villains that scared you most as a child and had you hiding behind the couch cushions (Daleks). :)
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    Simtanium wrote: »
    Wow, I was sure they were hinting at fairies.

Same here. I am getting desperate. This pack will be a nice distraction but the game can use a new occult. It has been ages ago since we got the last occult lifestate.

We probably get a fairy game pack in the fall.