Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why can't we eat the animals from the new Cottage EP?

Comments

• TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    The sims team beleive that doghouses are cruel. So I think this was a given. However this time I kinda agree with them.
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    @Chazzyyyy sims can eat fish they catch. Thats meat
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,377 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Maybe they found it a little too much to be able to befriend your animals, give them names, increase their relationships, give them clothes, have your kids give them hugs and then eat them.

I think they should have given us the option, I mean it's a little silly that you can hug your chicken and then immediately go and eat Chicken Saltimbocca directly afterwards.

Omg, thanks for the belly laugh! :D:D So true!
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • StartUpGeniusStartUpGenius Posts: 135 Member
    [quote="Chazzzy;d-990726"]Apparently, we won't be able to cook the meat from the cows, chickens, or rabbits from the pack. Rabbits will roam around the world. Cows can be milked. Chickens give eggs. Dassit!

Whyyyyyyy?!?!?!?!

Sims can eat meals featuring real meat, but can't get the real meat from the animals to make the food?[/quote]

Same reason why we can't do that in Harvest Moon games
  • iliekponieziliekponiez Posts: 455 Member
    I'm glad we can't. :)
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I already don’t like that you can die of laughter……to me that’s just stupid…
    This always happens to me in real life. I’m constantly begging Grimmy to spare me.
    Dude must be tired of me at this stage. 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I mean, to put it simply into two words: Vegans & Children. But to go into a more elaborative comment, it would be because they've decided to make this pack a more Old McDonald type farm, where it's a more idyllic, storybook and wholesome view of farm-life. Where animals are raised more as pets rather than produce, which is strange because I know farmers irl who actually have pet versions of the animals they keep and kill for produce/food. But w/e, can't have it both ways it seems. :neutral:

Minecraft is age 7 up I believe, and you can get meat from you animals it you want to. Our children see violence on the tv every day…… yet they can’t can’t play a game where they learn where their meat comes from? I wish we could have at least had cows be able to reproduce like chickens so that we could sell them to buy meat and other food products.

Did you not have the cows and chickens in Sims 3? It was the same - you couldn't eat them so this shouldn't be a surprise. It's not about protecting kids from violence, but just keeping with the fun/silly spirit of the game (or at least that's what the devs implied years ago when this was asked). In Minecraft you can make weapons and kill each other too, not just animals - and everything looks like a block. The Sims has more uncanny valley vibes and so sims murdering other sims and animals directly isn't a thing. There's no combat and respawn system in this game.
  • PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    I don't think I would want my sims to eat their animals...
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited June 2021
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    Wouldn't think anything too grizzly maybe selling the animals to whatever 3rd party and you can either get money in exchange or the animal meat. Think that would have been pretty fair, but the internet tends to make a big thing about things so much even when it comes down to player choice to want to taking features out or etc.

Remember sims who hate children could still try for baby in a daze state? Derp, still comes down to player choice but many saw this as not having consent even through it's the sims and ironically people tend to take away autonomous will by them, but guess that don't count even though it is a game. :# Guess it's just best to leave the option out entirely. Much like the whole 'bowing' at shrines that could have been left in and just not have it autonomous.

I am mostly vegetarian but I think phoning or using the computer to exchange your animals for meat would be fair.

I control my Sims a lot but even then sometimes it’s like trying to herd cats! 😂 They still make a beeline for the computer or TV even when hungry or tired 🤦🏼‍♂️.

I see the Sims as my own soap opera so nerfing anything controversial is a pain 🙄. Sims 2 had such unpredictable behaviour.

I would’ve liked to keep the bowing at the shrine for selected Sims. Autonomous was too much.

Post edited by ncisGibbs02 on
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    @Peral

I agree I don't think we will see foxes attacking on lots we are not playing..

@comicsforlife

That's really interesting, I think the most I have seen here in the UK are farmers with geese running around which can actually be quite scary when being chased by one :)

we have those to but we use them for snakes they will form a circle around the snake
    we also had a cow we milked now looking back I'm not sure it was the a good idea to milk a long horn

We don't tend to see snakes like that over here thankfully-) but it does make me wonder how our geese would react if they were to see one. I might have to ask one of my farmer friends about that. Not sure which of our cows become specifically dairy but the description "long horn" would typically suggest to me that it could be dangerous for your health lol (I have been chased by a bull before-) I also lived abroad for years and tried earnestly to ignore what could have been out there in those various countries as well :)
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    @Peral

@comicsforlife

That's really interesting, I think the most I have seen here in the UK are farmers with geese running around which can actually be quite scary when being chased by one :)

we have those to but we use them for snakes they will form a circle around the snake
    we also had a cow we milked now looking back I'm not sure it was the a good idea to milk a long horn

We don't tend to see snakes like that over here thankfully-) but it does make me wonder how our geese would react if they were to see one. I might have to ask one of my farmer friends about that. Not sure which of our cows become specifically dairy but the description "long horn" would typically suggest to me that it could be dangerous for your health lol (I have been chased by a bull before-) I also lived abroad for years and tried earnestly to ignore what could have been out there in those various countries as well :)

long horn is the breed they're called that because of there very big and really long horns
    we had bunnies to they would follow you like dogs and they also love to play ours would also come when called
    @SPARKY1922
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    ddd994 wrote: »
    BlueR0se wrote: »
    Honestly, there is still a way to make it PG or PG13 for turning animals into meat. You don't have to go grizzly horror show about it. Ex: sim leads animal to shed, comes out with a stack of meat but Larry the Llama is mysteriously missing...
    For some reason, this had me in hysterics :D:D

I guess they should have implemented something like this to give everyone options. Then for those who didn't want it, they wouldn't have to lead Larry to his doom and he could have spent his entire life living happily next to his shed frolicking with his bunny friends.

If they want to add the meat industry, they need to be responsable about it.. it’s not a cute process sending them off to slaughterhouses, it’s traumatic. Animals bred for meat are generally brought up in terrible conditions too. Why do you think people go vegan/vegetarian. It’s a moral stance against animal cruelty.
    Not to mention the best thing any single person can do for the environment is stop eating animals.

Being a vegetarian myself, I didn't really need your lecture. But the game, to me, is all about giving everyone options where possible rather than catering to a single group.
    @comicsforlife

That's why I wrote that "long horn" could maybe be a dangerous practice as far as milkling is concerned lol The bunnies you experienced sounds adorable for RL :)
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member

As a meat eating beast I don’t need to be lectured by anyone either. But that’s because I’m selfish.
    I was a vegetarian for 5 years. I don’t like how animals are treated in the meat industry, so I replaced everything I could to get the protein and all the good stuff required to stay healthy.
    However, after 5 years I was in such terrible condition that my doctor advised me to eat meat again.

“But doctor..”
    “No “buts” dude, look at yerself, ye fool”.
    I looked at myself and indeed…I looked like a fool. I felt even worse.

I reluctantly went ahead and ate meat again. One of the best moments in my life was to sink my teeth in a medium rare fillet steak for the first time after 5 long years.
    Believe it or not, I’m a Meat Needer. I’m a tad jealous of those who aren’t, but alas, I’m a human canine. Can’t help it.

Hopefully one day I will have my private forest so I can hunt my own beasts. Preferably though I’d have a Cruelty Free Meat Plant.
    Right now I just have to be careful where to get my dinner.

But hey, this is a silly game. Options are best while keeping it fun for everyone. 👍🏼
  • SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    edited June 2021
    We've never been able to kill farm animals in any of the past sims games, and this is still rated teen, so they're not going to start adding slaughter or murder in now. In Sims 3 we had meat plants that grew steaks for farm fresh organic meats (we also had egg and cheese plants). That's the kind of franchise this is, and always has been. Sims can be killed in all sorts of ways, but pets only ever die from old age.
  • Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,422 Member
    CelSims wrote: »
    Monet11 wrote: »
    People don't eat dairy cows or llamas. So why would the sims? But I don't see why you can't drag and drop your animal, selling it like you do your furniture. Then use that money to purchase beef and chicken from the local shop. It is the same principle. Or am I the only one who uses the imagination when playing this game? I can't be.

We do eat dairy cows actually. They get sent off the same as the beef cattle. The only difference is the meat is considered lower grade and usually ends up at fast food restaurants in burgers. I don't know about llamas though!

I wasn't aware of this, but it makes sense. And I can see it happening when the milk production drops. Same with chickens. We never ate our hens as long as they were productive. But we did eat them when they stopped being so. Apparently, you can eat llama. But you wouldn't if you were using their wool to sell.

I was incorrect in my statement about people not eating these animals. But as long as the animals are useful for eggs, milk, and wool, you wouldn't want to take them to market. And that was what I was thinking when I made the post.

I am not incorrect about it being a breeze to use your imagination, drag and drop your animals for money, then go buy meat. And for that reason, I don't really see a problem with how this is set up.

• dogzdinnerdogzdinner Posts: 422 Member
    My vote would be for an option in the menu to be able to eat your animals (like how you can turn Bust the Dust off) so people that wanted to kill them could and it wouldnt upset people who werent into that sort of thing.
    I say this as a strict vegan! IMO more people might think about what they eat IRL if they are naming and cuddling their chickens then ruthlessly murdering them!LOL
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    I think it's pretty obvious. The intended audience for this game includes kids....and kids would not be on board with killing animals to eat

City/pampered kids, perhaps. It's a regular part of farm life that farm kids understand and accept as being part of the deal. The mentioned phone call procedure takes care of the issue without the mess(es). I bet there's no cleaning up of animal leavings, either.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    @Peral

@comicsforlife

Yeah, geese are mean. LOL One went after my Toddler at a park in the town in which we once lived. You can bet I grabbed up my little son and headed away from the wretch. And here, we were feeding the dumb things, too! So ungrateful. :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    @GalacticGal

Oh no not with your son that's awful especially as you were feeding them..I have been chased by a group of them when I was living on a farm for a while which was also not a great experience so I can totally understand you picking up your little one and getting out of there..It made me realize at the time how non domesticated animals can be so unpredictable despite looking fluffy and cute at times :)
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    CelSims wrote: »
    People don't eat dairy cows or llamas. So why would the sims? But I don't see why you can't drag and drop your animal, selling it like you do your furniture. Then use that money to purchase beef and chicken from the local shop. It is the same principle. Or am I the only one who uses the imagination when playing this game? I can't be.

We do eat dairy cows actually. They get sent off the same as the beef cattle. The only difference is the meat is considered lower grade and usually ends up at fast food restaurants in burgers. I don't know about llamas though!

I wasn't aware of this, but it makes sense. And I can see it happening when the milk production drops. Same with chickens. We never ate our hens as long as they were productive. But we did eat them when they stopped being so. Apparently, you can eat llama. But you wouldn't if you were using their wool to sell.

I was incorrect in my statement about people not eating these animals. But as long as the animals are useful for eggs, milk, and wool, you wouldn't want to take them to market. And that was what I was thinking when I made the post.

I am not incorrect about it being a breeze to use your imagination, drag and drop your animals for money, then go buy meat. And for that reason, I don't really see a problem with how this is set up.

I appreciate your comment as it prompted me to go look up the information. Which was the last push I needed to make a commitment to eliminate dairy from my diet. So thank you :)
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited June 2021
    As a meat eating beast I don’t need to be lectured by anyone either. But that’s because I’m selfish.
    I was a vegetarian for 5 years. I don’t like how animals are treated in the meat industry, so I replaced everything I could to get the protein and all the good stuff required to stay healthy.
    However, after 5 years I was in such terrible condition that my doctor advised me to eat meat again.

“But doctor..”
    “No “buts” dude, look at yerself, ye fool”.
    I looked at myself and indeed…I looked like a fool. I felt even worse.

I reluctantly went ahead and ate meat again. One of the best moments in my life was to sink my teeth in a medium rare fillet steak for the first time after 5 long years.
    Believe it or not, I’m a Meat Needer. I’m a tad jealous of those who aren’t, but alas, I’m a human canine. Can’t help it.

Hopefully one day I will have my private forest so I can hunt my own beasts. Preferably though I’d have a Cruelty Free Meat Plant.
    Right now I just have to be careful where to get my dinner.

But hey, this is a silly game. Options are best while keeping it fun for everyone. 👍🏼

I agree
    and as far as needing meat I can relate I and my sister were very weak and sick as children
    so my granny did everything she could to make sure we got strong we raised our own meat
    and our own garden she worked so hard and now I'm just as strong as anyone else
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 to be honest though I would never give up eating meat even if I could
    I wouldn't ship off the animals in game though because I can't eat them in real life
    so for me there would be no point I think my sims will get more out of a friend then a meal
    but I still want others to have the option
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited June 2021
    Because people can't handle the idea of people actually eating animals and meat..you know, like a lot of us do in the real world. I can see it now, the moment someone cracks oppen a pixelated egg in a skillet someones going to have a break down over it. But I agree, we should be able to, I mean that's the whole point of farm, my grandfather owned a farm and my aunt use to own chickens and they would eat the eggs, milk, and occasional cook up a chicken. It really makes no sense not to since there's already a meat wall that you can cut from in the game.
    giphy.gif

• RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member
    They were going for a certain atmosphere with this pack and slaughtering animals just isn't a part of it.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    edited June 2021
    Because people can't handle the idea of people actually eating animals and meat..you know, like a lot of us do in the real world. I can see it now, the moment someone cracks oppen a pixelated egg in a skillet someones going to have a break down over it. But I agree, we should be able to, I mean that's the whole point of farm, my grandfather owned a farm and my aunt use to own chickens and they would eat the eggs, milk, and occasional cook up a chicken. It really makes no sense not to since there's already a meat wall that you can cut from in the game.
    Isn't the meat wall in the game vegan though? It's not from animals. It is a plant and I think it's literally called cruelty free meat. :lol: It counts as faux meat or a fruit or vegetable.

Killing animals and eating them just doesn't fit with the spirit and direction of the game (especially given things like the meat wall). I'm surprised people are surprised by this because having farm animals for meat was never a thing in past sims games.

Post edited by haneul on