Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The sims 4 Cottage Living Negativity thread.

Comments

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Well for me, I'm more impressed by what we're getting than what I figured we'd get. So there's that. I figured it would focus solely on gardening and pretty much that was it.

But .......

I'm not really digging the whole world with it's old time, Hansel and Gretel style cottages. Don't get me wrong, the world looks nice if you've been wanting that fairytale vibe world but that's not my style. I typically play with more modernish American style worlds so I'm hoping that the fake backdrops will blend easily with different builds.

I also hate those barn/shed things the animals are tied to. I don't know if they actually interact with them or not ..... as in, go inside of them. But that will be the first thing I check out, because I will be creating some other type of CC building if those sheds have a function. If the animals don't actually do anything with the building, then I will just make a minuscule, non-intrusive mesh object to tie the animals to. Because the whole reason I wanted a farming back was to make a farm, with animals in a pasture. I don't want to have to have 20 fake shed buildings in my field. That's just, NO!

I already figured the animals would be objects, because come on, they didn't even give us live babies, I already assumed the animals would not be an living creature.

And, I've seen several people mentioning shrinking the shed/building down. I'm not sure that will work because if the animal is part of that mesh, then I believe the animal will shrink also. It would be very similar to how the bassinet works. Has anybody shrank that down to hide it?

I'm also extremely disappointed in only getting 12 lots. Which you know we'll actually only have 1 empty lot to build on because some of the Gamechangers have built I think 9 lots.

I'm not sure how I feel about the quests either. I will definitely check them out and they might be ok if I'm bored.

I feel the same. I'm not sold on the whole cottage living either. To be honest, this reminds me more of the Shire in Lord of the Rings than living on a farm.

Now if I see an hobbit in the game I will be surprised. :D
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2021
    ddd994 wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned how the country kitchen kit was obviously cut from this EP to be sold seperate...? 🙄

Hmmm if that was the case that would be foul because if you brought the kit you would pay for it twice once as an kit and now in an EP. But it need to be compared and actually see if it is similar.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    edited June 2021
    I am actually REALLY disappointed that Sims can’t swim in ponds. I was looking forward to using it for my semi-historical/fantasy off the grid save. Currently my Sims use the swimming pool done up as a pond as a way to bathe. Was really excited that I could give them a real pond and get rid of the pool. I mean maybe wading around the edges will take up the hygiene too.

I would have even been okay with a tool similar to the swimming pool but just categorized as the pond because I hate the pool borders. I know this is not a big deal really, and others won’t care, but like they could have just found another solution for making the ponds swimmable and they didn’t/couldn’t/wouldn't. Sigh.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited June 2021
    Aine wrote: »
    I'm kinda disappointed in how the cows and the llamas work - they're tied to these BIG objects. I wish they would've been tied to smaller objects, like a small stall or something instead. I also don't like how the objects look - they look clunky and too old timey. 🤔

I know, Months ago I had built Stables, with about 15 Stalls For Cows, pigs, potentially horses, Because I was intrigued with the idea of a farming pack... now I'm not so sure what to do with them... if This is cows work... I'm hoping one of the first mods are to "Free the Cows/Animals." I don't see how Cows and Chickens and Llama Couldn't work like Cats and Dogs
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,874 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    I don't see how Cows and Chickens and Llama Couldn't work like Cats and Dogs
    And take the household slot, like cats and dogs?

"Cool"..

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    I watched the trailer for the first time , & all I have to say is>
    Pro's> Agnus Crumplebottom!!!! :)
    Con's> No Werewolves!!!!. :(
  • WerescytheWerescythe Posts: 157 Member
    Personally I was really hyped for fairies, so I was disappointed with what we got. Of course, if they secretly added another supernatural life aspect to this pack (like fairies or something else) then maybe, just maybe I'd consider buying the pack.

We'll see, but right now I'm not too pleased.
    I'm probably one of the rare few here, but I love using the occult aspects in my Sims 4 games. xD
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    Kironide wrote: »
    Trashmagic wrote: »
    So I'm wondering what the core garden-to-table experience entails? Is that the big new gameplay feature? And if so, can’t we already use garden foods in our cooking?

Sim Guru Romeo tweeted about this feature: he said that that if you cook on a lot with a new lot characteristic coming with the pack then you will only be able to make recipes for which you have all the ingredients in your refrigerator. It's meant to add more realism to gameplay, but its only tied to the new lot trait, so its completely optional. Hope that helps.

Trying to wrap my head around this. So, we can add a lot trait that prevents us from cooking anything for which we don't have all the ingredients in the fridge?

Did I understand that correctly? If so, then can't I already do that just by choosing not to cook anything for which I don't already have all the ingredients in the fridge?
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    It would be awful if they don’t let us cook the rabbits, cows, and chickens!

They did say we could buy or order chicken from the grocery stall.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited June 2021
    Onverser wrote: »
    Gordy wrote: »

:( We can't swim in ponds. Also, that first sentence is pretty much saying "We care more about customizing looks than gameplay." Yeah, there's gameplay here, but you get what I mean.

Yikes. That is really bad. For forty dollars it's borderline insulting to say that that's too much work to put in the pack. In Sims 3 we literally got horses as part of the pets pack, with your standard cats and dogs, horses, multiple other animals too and a big world all in one expansion pack, but in Sims 4 they've already managed to make two expansions costing a combined 80 dollars, and it's still too much work for them to possibly put horses in? It really isn't good enough.

Also to add it's honestly very concerning how the game has got to the stage where people are genuinely agreeing that it's too much for them to possibly put into an expansion and "needs its own dedicated pack"

It is sad to see that the sims4 has devolved in this regard. I think it's because the sims3 was pretty much a large sandbox which had a good foundation for adding things like horses, cars, tractors etc. The sims4 doesn't have that, it's more focused on you staying at your lot, it also looks like they have work more to add these gameplay items in the game.

I would have liked to see horses too, but the game design in this pack seems to be focused on you being at your farm and taking care of your animals and crops so I'm hoping they have added more when it comes to that than what we had in the sims3, but we will see...
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    I have no complaints so far, I'm just thrilled that we finally get farming, even if I would appreciate pigs and sheep, I never wanted a very heavy full fletched commercial farm, my sims would not find time to run it anyway. A couple animal species with simple produce is fine. I do wish we can produce cheese and butter from milk - I can live without but such a feature should be quite easy to add.

My only real complaint so far is that we can no longer use CL when referring to City Living, because it might also refer to Cottage Living. Nothing game breaking ;)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Phantasi33Phantasi33 Posts: 181 Member
    CelSims wrote: »
    Honestly, I like most of what I see.
    However, I am concerned that this will release with the gardening bug still not fixed, which would be a disaster and really leave a bad taste in my mouth.
    I see jam jars around as decor but no mention of canning and this would be a giant hole in the pack for me if it isn't included. Sims need to eat in winter too! I assume there will be a game play trailer and hope to see them in that.
    I was initially disappointed with no fairies but as I've commented before, I would prefer them to have their own pack and really delve into fae lore. Maybe getting them in their own pack would allow things such as changeling babies and the seelie/unseelie court.

SimGuru Romeo already tweeted out that canning will be tied to the cooking skill, so making jams and other preserves is a thing in the new pack.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    I have no complaints so far, I'm just thrilled that we finally get farming, even if I would appreciate pigs and sheep, I never wanted a very heavy full fletched commercial farm, my sims would not find time to run it anyway. A couple animal species with simple produce is fine. I do wish we can produce cheese and butter from milk - I can live without but such a feature should be quite easy to add.

My only real complaint so far is that we can no longer use CL when referring to City Living, because it might also refer to Cottage Living. Nothing game breaking ;)

Oh yes! I would have loved making cheese and butter.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member

Oh yes! I would have loved making cheese and butter.

Yoghurt too. 🙂 Does anyone find it strange that we can get chocolate milk by feeding cocoa beans to the cows? I would have preferred that we got regular milk from the cow and created the flavoured milk in a blender or on the stove as a recipe.
  • Aloe2828Aloe2828 Posts: 28 Member
    I always felt that a ‘farming pack’ was kind of inevitable but now that it’s here.... it’s just not what I was expecting and I’m very disappointed with the directions they took. Here are my main gripes:

- no horses is a BIG bummer, especially when none of the animals included can be kept as true ‘pets’ like cats and dogs. I get that they would be a lot of work to include but this is an EXPANSION PACK which is the largest tier pack, so I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect fully fleshed out horses in a pack of this size with this theme

- while the world looks cute, it feels too similar to windenburg/glimmerbrook/willow creek. Give me something different! I was really hoping we would get an Italian themed world with farming that could have included the ability to make nectar and have vineyards! I would have been so into that! But this just feels recycled

- they are leaning so hard into this ‘cottagecore’ trend it’s not even funny! (How much do you want to bet this pack was originally called ‘country living’ but they changed the name to ‘cottage living’ to jump on the cottagecore band wagon?) I’m not necessarily against the ‘cutesy’ aesthetic but it would have been the perfect theme to add fairies (especially since there are no horses!). There were also so many hints at fairies so I was really expecting them and their exclusion is disappointing

- finally, I’m extremely sceptical about these ‘errands’. They seem so similar to odd jobs - Why couldn’t they have expanded that existing system instead? It just makes me wonder why the team always insist on creating new systems for each pack that really only work with the new content and are never expanded with new packs (have we ever gotten new odd jobs that aren’t island living related? Are there any new lifestyles that are not a part of snowy escape?). This is a problem across all the packs - the lack of integration between packs makes the gameplay really shallow because they aren’t taking advantage of the full breadth the game as to offer.

TLDR: was expecting either horses (to fit farming theme) or fairies (to fit cottagecore theme) and we got... neither. Pack integration seems like an afterthought and the world is too similar to windenburg/glimmerbrook/willow
    Just keep simming
  • Nekia33painterNekia33painter Posts: 336 Member
    So far I do not like the world of this pack. It has too much of a willow creek feel. Willow Creek isn't a bad world but when I buy an expansion I don't want to feel like one I have already. The reason it feels so similar is the fact they used the boring base game trees and flowers to fill the world. I saw maybe one or two new plants in the trailer but most are base game. I really hope that they're not only 12 lots. It is a really problem I have with the sims being a bunch of set dressing you can't interact with. And it looks like this pack will end up being more of that. Looking pretty much not much to do in the world except take screen shots.

Nothing in this pack like the CAS or build buy really stood out. I don't know if it's just the video but some of the items look really flat. My biggest peeve is the cow/ llama shed. That black empty door is not it. They could have just put a door that opens and closes so we didn't have to look into that nothingness. Also, they gave us rabbits but didn't allow them to be pets. They can only hang out if you put down a stump or visit more often. Seriously, why?

The farm competition area looks really boring, if you have played discover university when they have their gatherings it looks the exact same. Very sparse with maybe some sims walking around. Visually it's not interesting either. I would like if we could place more stalls but that probably won't happen because it may mess with pathing.
  • SimtaniumSimtanium Posts: 256 Member
    Aloe2828 wrote: »
    I was really hoping we would get an Italian themed world with farming that could have included the ability to make nectar and have vineyards!

Wow, hearing your ideas really makes me want this! Plus, add in a stone-baked pizza oven and nectar racks. Maybe this could be a GP (wishful thinking). :love:

• MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited June 2021

"Cool"..

Yah...

Or create separate households, with a caretakers/Farmers who works for the family.

Though I'd prefer they take a spot in the household rather than be tied to an object.

Or maybe Be the object, than create an object/rabbithole, to be stowed away. until the player is ready to play with them.
    Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • skelebeeskelebee Posts: 101 Member

:( We can't swim in ponds. Also, that first sentence is pretty much saying "We care more about customizing looks than gameplay." Yeah, there's gameplay here, but you get what I mean.

Yikes. That is really bad. For forty dollars it's borderline insulting to say that that's too much work to put in the pack. In Sims 3 we literally got horses as part of the pets pack, with your standard cats and dogs, horses, multiple other animals too and a big world all in one expansion pack, but in Sims 4 they've already managed to make two expansions costing a combined 80 dollars, and it's still too much work for them to possibly put horses in? It really isn't good enough.

Also to add it's honestly very concerning how the game has got to the stage where people are genuinely agreeing that it's too much for them to possibly put into an expansion and "needs its own dedicated pack"

It is sad to see that the sims4 has devolved in this regard. I think it's because the sims3 was pretty much a large sandbox which had a good foundation for adding things like horses, cars, tractors etc. The sims4 doesn't have that, it's more focused on you staying at your lot, it also looks like they have work more to add these gameplay items in the game.

I would have liked to see horses too, but the game design in this pack seems to be focused on you being at your farm and taking care of your animals and crops so I'm hoping they have added more when it comes to that than what we had in the sims3, but we will see...

It reeks of corporate greed. I do really feel for the developers sometimes, because it's so glaringly obvious that they're limited by the whims of the Suits, likely giving them ridiculous deadlines and forcing them to make cuts and limiting their budget while they sit on their piles of money.
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Is there a chance fairies just didn't show up in the trailer? Maybe they're a secret/surprise?

Seems like they would of shown them in the trailer. maybe.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited June 2021
    Is there a chance fairies just didn't show up in the trailer? Maybe they're a secret/surprise?

SimGuruRomeo said that there are no occults in this pack so I don't think there will be any fairies.

• bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member

SimGuruRomeo said that there are no occults in this pack so I don't think there will be any fairies.

That's disappointing. I was hoping they'd update Plantsims (it would be perfect for this pack).
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Aloe2828 wrote: »
    I was really hoping we would get an Italian themed world with farming that could have included the ability to make nectar and have vineyards! I would have been so into that!

It may be wishful thinking on my part, but I feel like we will definitely get that at some point. It's certainly requested a lot. If so, I'm personally glad they didn't shove it into this pack, because I would love to see a really well fleshed-out Mediterranean world of some kind, with nectar making and vineyards, but also many other features. Certainly I think that those of us who want this should keep asking for it!
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited June 2021

Horses were well done in Sims 3. Birds and small animals weren't given the same depth, but TBH, they had more depth than MFPS does. Picnics are base game, and you can use them both on picnic tables and the ground. I'm trying to remember if Sims 4 adult sims sit on the ground or not.

At least we no longer have a sim guru telling us that a pack like Jungle Adventures has more depth than World Adventures. But you can't compare the two -- Sims 4 just doesn't give the same depth as Sims 3.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited June 2021

"Cool"..

Why would they have to? Why do they have to in Cats and Dogs? In Sims 3, you had your basic 8 slots for Sims, and then an additional 6 slots for animals (which are controllable). Of course, the cats didn't ride on rhoombas and the only career in the pack had to do with horseback riding. The again, you could breed horses which was fun.

Edit: I know Sims 4 isn't Sims 3. But it seems to be an odd limitation, especially since the animals aren't selectable.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top