Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    With sim names I either try to care deeply about a sim's background, parents, etc. (In Uptown I did my best to make sure everyone born in Windenburg had a name that'd legally be allowed in Germany or was plausible enough; it IS weird thinking about naming laws while living in the free land of complete name anarchy) OR it's complete madness and everyone's named after beer. But I try to have associations that make sense to myself if not to anyone else even for the silly names. If I name someone after a beer, a song, or food, they have to give me a similar feeling that their namesake did.
    I'm the most proud about Heathcliff's eventual daughter in Outrun. She was named after an expensive Belgian beer I once had so I gave her traits that would make her snobby, sharp, and dry.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,943 Member
    I don’t think much about “meaning” when it comes to names. I’ll choose a theme, and then just go with names I like the look of. With Japanese/Chinese names, they can have multiple meanings depending on how they’re written too.

Although they’re not even conceived yet, I have chosen names for the 3rd generation of Mastersons. With some of them I thought about the meaning, others I just chose because I liked them without considering the meaning.
    My other problem when it comes to names is that there are always more girls’ names I like than boys’ ones! :D I’ve managed to get a good balance between boy and girl ones for Masterson Gen 3. They also all fit with the Greek/Greek mythology theme!
  • SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,767 Member
    I made another house using the Vampires pack! (All the pics are under the spoiler cut for neatness)
    Qa2wlEA.png
    ya5gqUB.png
    LWzbpuB.png
    uaQK48F.png
    5q8JGEu.png
    WyNIaW2.png
    eLkphOY.png
    CIqqKaT.png
    Qgz16QC.png
    they/them or she/her
  • swcheppesswcheppes Posts: 3,027 Member
    Things are getting pretty rocky for Aurora Blanc this. How will she handle it? Find out in the new chapter of my Disney Legacy story.

If you want to check it out from the beginning find the link to my blog in my signature.
    suRdkSd.jpg
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    updating tomorrrow. for sure. i'll be up anyway cause of the announcement. o spent 2 of the last 3 days yelling at joseph. lol . legacy. the story behinf that id in his thread.
  • LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,226 Member
    updating tomorrrow. for sure. i'll be up anyway cause of the announcement. o spent 2 of the last 3 days yelling at joseph. lol . legacy. the story behinf that id in his thread.

Hmm...

tumblr_n2pg2k3bfq1ql56ddo1_500.gif
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    (Twitter Me: LSims2017)
  • ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    With sim names I either try to care deeply about a sim's background, parents, etc. (In Uptown I did my best to make sure everyone born in Windenburg had a name that'd legally be allowed in Germany or was plausible enough; it IS weird thinking about naming laws while living in the free land of complete name anarchy) OR it's complete madness and everyone's named after beer. But I try to have associations that make sense to myself if not to anyone else even for the silly names. If I name someone after a beer, a song, or food, they have to give me a similar feeling that their namesake did.
    I'm the most proud about Heathcliff's eventual daughter in Outrun. She was named after an expensive Belgian beer I once had so I gave her traits that would make her snobby, sharp, and dry.

@InfraGreen
    Now I need to catch up on Outrun, so curious what she's called! First thing that comes to mind is Delirium :lol: I do like Belgian beer, even though the traits seem sounds spot on :smiley:
    edited June 2021
    @ThePlumbob: she's not born until later in Heathcliff's life so she's known to no one except weirdos I show off my poses and CC to. It might not even be expensive in Europe but importing stuff to beer halls internationally here has a price ;) (anyways most other beer names I plucked from my favorite local breweries out of intense love and hometown pride)

EDIT: also I haven't updated for six months actually new chapters start July 2nd so get reading! :trollface:

outrun / blog / tunglr
    edited June 2021

Hmm...

tumblr_n2pg2k3bfq1ql56ddo1_500.gif

lol . i was tired when i typed that my neighbor behind my headboard was squeaking his bedsprings the night before. yes i know its a guy the walls are thin here.
    Ahhh I just watched the Cottage Living trailer and it honestly looks so good! It looks adorable TBH.
    The bunnies are so so cute and now I want a lone Sim whose entire house is just full of bunnies (or rather, bnuuys : P )
    they/them or she/her
    @SnowBnuuy: I'm shocked it took them that long to give us llamas considering the franchise...if they bear wool does this mean a textile-related skill that isn't knitting? Integration with Nifty Knitting? BOTH? None? :'(

outrun / blog / tunglr
    @InfraGreen Yeah same since they’re so iconic across the series! Yeah that’s a good thought actually, they could possibly integrate that with Nifty Knitting somehow.
    they/them or she/her
    when i wasn't working and mom was upset cause i was spending money on sims. so i set a limit with the store when i saw the pack i had hit the limit so i did the grown up thing and put it back on unlimeted.
    ThePlumbob wrote: »
    @SnowBnuuy Have you considered just continuing on in your magic universe if your heart's not in the new project? I can definitely relate to what you said about bouncing between activities that you get almost obsessed with for a period of time and then feeling lost in the lull in between until you find the next one - I am exactly the same! Right down to the interest dropping unexpectedly - I don't know how people manage to have consistent hobbies. :smiley: It sounds like you're still invested in your previous project though, so it might be worth not forcing a new one? At least if it were me I'd probably want to continue riding that wave until I lose interest in the project naturally, to make the most of it :)

@InfraGreen I like that you combine TS3 cities and TS4 ones into one world map of sorts! Your approach sounds a bit like mine, I tweak where the world sits based on the primary world I'm using in that save - like when I had a save that was primarily in Mt Komorebi, I used the fashion district in San Myshuno as a nearby city that's connected to Mt Komorebi by a railway system, since that part of SM has a bit of a Japanese flair.
    Windenburg is always Germany thanks to lingering influence from some evil person once in my life.
    Lol! I know what you mean. To be fair I think Windenburg is one of the most mouldable worlds, it's so vaguely non-descript European that it could simultaneously be anywhere and nowhere in Europe.

@friendsfan367 Haha I'm pretty sure you still have to pay for Britbox over here! I think a lot of the shows might be on BBC, but you need to pay for a TV license to watch that, so I guess there's no winning :smiley:

i didn't mean have a subscripition in england i meant they probably show them there anyway. like here we have american tv. so i assume you cansee the same shows without a subscription there. whats a tv liscense?
    edited June 2021
    @friendsfan367 in the UK you have to pay a TV license if you watch or record programmes on your TV or any other device, and if you download or watch BBC programming as well. My mum is always watching BBC iPlayer, I don't really bother with it outside of the occasional nature documentary, I can watch those for hours.

As for TV shows, I don't watch much TV due to my short attention span, but I enjoyed Breaking Bad back when I watched it, and my mum and I are trying to rewatch every season of Bones on Disney+. I also really liked most of Wandavision.
    they/them or she/her
    SnowBnuuy wrote: »
    @friendsfan367 in the UK you have to pay a TV license if you watch or record programmes on your TV or any other device, and if you download or watch BBC programming as well. My mum is always watching BBC iPlayer, I don't really bother with it outside of the occasional nature documentary, I can watch those for hours.

As for TV shows, I don't watch much TV due to my short attention span, but I enjoyed Breaking Bad back when I watched it, and my mum and I are trying to rewatch every season of Bones on Disney+. I also really liked most of Wandavision.

i get the short attention span thing. i love my streaming tv cause most od the time i can pauseand come back. i also like nature shows anything with david attenburogh probably spelled that wrong.
    @friendsfan367 Yes!! My favourite of the BBC nature programs is the Big Cats one, I need to try and get around to watching Dynasties at some point. There's something therapeutic about watching animal documentaries.
    they/them or she/her
    I’ve never been one of those Simmers who was desperate for farming, but I do admit that Cottage Living looks pretty cool! I love the new British dishes they’re adding, Yorkshire puddings/bangers and mash... mmm.
  • tinyv0idcattinyv0idcat Posts: 90 Member
    @Lucy_Henley Late to the convo, but yay for the new PC! It's always exciting getting a new build. What graphics card have you bought? I'm impressed you managed to find one since they're hard to come by at decent prices currently.

I find names super interesting, in The Sims and IRL, and always love hearing what people name their kids (in The Sims and IRL :D) What I enjoy about The Sims though is the freedom to use more unusual / out-there names that would be hard to get away with using in real life. I have a lot of fun planning names for my Sims :)
    MnLhKCU.jpg
    @tinyv0idcat Yeah, funnily enough the graphics card I wanted wasn’t available when I ordered my PC. I did manage to find it on eBay though. I got a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB one.

Good point about using out-there names. Xanthe is pretty unusual but it’s definitely been used in the real world. Erytheia hasn’t though, I’ve tried googling it and nothing really pops up. I don’t remember how exactly I found it. I just saw that it came from the Greek for “red” and I thought it’d be fun to use. It’s pretty too. I’m not entirely sure how it’d be pronounced, in my head I’ve been going “eri-thay-uh”. Artemis and Apollo are actual Greek deities, who happen to be twins. Peter and Caroline (the parents) are pretty boring names by comparison :D:D
    @tinyv0idcat Yeah, funnily enough the graphics card I wanted wasn’t available when I ordered my PC. I did manage to find it on eBay though. I got a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB one.

Good point about using out-there names. Xanthe is pretty unusual but it’s definitely been used in the real world. Erytheia hasn’t though, I’ve tried googling it and nothing really pops up. I don’t remember how exactly I found it. I just saw that it came from the Greek for “red” and I thought it’d be fun to use. It’s pretty too. I’m not entirely sure how it’d be pronounced, in my head I’ve been going “eri-thay-uh”. Artemis and Apollo are actual Greek deities, who happen to be twins. Peter and Caroline (the parents) are pretty boring names by comparison :D:D

Yeah it's near impossible to find parts these days that aren't hugely inflated in price. It sucks. I built a new PC back in December and only managed through sheer luck to get the graphics card I wanted. Still can't quite believe it haha. I'm glad you were able to get everything you need though! Very exciting.

I've heard of Xanthe before, it's a beautiful name, and definitely quite unusual. I do like unusual names a lot. Erytheia is lovely! It's so fun discovering names / words like that and learning the etymology behind them. The website behindthename has a great database and you can search by theme, too, which is a lot of fun. Peter and Caroline are definitely very different in style to Artemis and Apollo haha :D A lot of Greek and Roman deities have wonderful names. Artemis is definitely a favourite of mine, and the goddess is super cool to boot.
    MnLhKCU.jpg

Yeah it's near impossible to find parts these days that aren't hugely inflated in price. It sucks. I built a new PC back in December and only managed through sheer luck to get the graphics card I wanted. Still can't quite believe it haha. I'm glad you were able to get everything you need though! Very exciting.

I've heard of Xanthe before, it's a beautiful name, and definitely quite unusual. I do like unusual names a lot. Erytheia is lovely! It's so fun discovering names / words like that and learning the etymology behind them. The website behindthename has a great database and you can search by theme, too, which is a lot of fun. Peter and Caroline are definitely very different in style to Artemis and Apollo haha :D A lot of Greek and Roman deities have wonderful names. Artemis is definitely a favourite of mine, and the goddess is super cool to boot.

Yeah, if only they had archery in Sims 4, she’d be able to live up to her namesake! I know there was an archery object in the Sims 3 store. Perhaps I should create a family in Sims 3 with everyone named after Greek deities...

Yeah, if only they had archery in Sims 4, she’d be able to live up to her namesake! I know there was an archery object in the Sims 3 store. Perhaps I should create a family in Sims 3 with everyone named after Greek deities...

That's a really fun idea! Perhaps even a whole Greek deity legacy :D
    MnLhKCU.jpg
  • Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,548 Member
    I have a confession to make...I don't write Sim 66 on my own. My co-writer is The Sims 4. Sure, I write the words and take the pictures but the game is the director and ideas generator. The story is like an iceberg: What you read is the top 1/3rd that is visible...there's 2/3rds hidden as I play the days of some of the supporting characters but I only incorporate them into the main story as cut scenes or background information and the chapter I've published today is just such a thing. In this, Julia has to deal with strange illnesses, some surprising revelations that she's not prepared for and a mysterious visit. Chapter 108: This Is Awkward written by The Sims 4 with assistance from Kellogg J Kellogg.

https://kelloggjkellogg.blogspot.com/2021/06/chapter-109-this-is-awkward.html

pGKxU3V.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top