Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The sims 4 Cottage Living Negativity thread.

Comments

• Options
    Moon_WillowMoon_Willow Posts: 732 Member
    And, I've seen several people mentioning shrinking the shed/building down. I'm not sure that will work because if the animal is part of that mesh, then I believe the animal will shrink also. It would be very similar to how the bassinet works. Has anybody shrank that down to hide it?

I haven't shrunk a bassinet down but I did enlarge one ....

And ended up with a giant baby.
    tsNVdyA.png
    Gallery ID: Truet318, check out my latest builds on the gallery.

The Road goes ever on and on And I must follow, if I can,
    Until it joins some larger way,
    Where many paths and errands meet.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    And, I've seen several people mentioning shrinking the shed/building down. I'm not sure that will work because if the animal is part of that mesh, then I believe the animal will shrink also. It would be very similar to how the bassinet works. Has anybody shrank that down to hide it?

I haven't shrunk a bassinet down but I did enlarge one ....

And ended up with a giant baby.

Maybe they work like the mirrors and the cows don't shrink? :lol:
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I didn't know you can shrink down a bassinet with the baby in it. Very cool. I'll have to try it with one of my families to see how this looks & plays. B)
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    chickenow wrote: »
    I don't really have any gripes about the pack, I think it looks brill and seems to have a lot of gameplay even looking past the flashy trailer!

My only nitpick is the kitchen, it looks brill but we recently got a "Country Kitchen Kit" and the two look simular in design from what I've seen so far. Choice is always good but how many people could have skipped on this kit if they knew this EP was just round the corner?

I'm half expecting the next EP to have a morroccan based world with assets to build a morroccan *garden* now! 😅😅

I honestly thought it was the country kitchen from the kit. I can't see the differences, but I guess it might be just because they used similar colors for both promotional videos.
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited June 2021
    My only concern is the gameplay, I just hope it's not reptitive and the pack isn't mostly relying on stuff. I don't want it to just be a pack with farm stuff that's pretty to look at but has various ways of playing farm/cottage life. Other than that, I have no huge problems with the pack, it looks fairly decent and it's been something the players have been asking for, for quite some time.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    Re: the Country Kitchen kit conversation

They are very similar looking, these two kitchen sets, but I can see the differences.

With that being said, I would find it hard to believe that they weren’t created around the same time which makes me feel like they both could have gone in this pack. Unless they made the Kit one first and was just SO inspired by the style they just HAD to make a similar one for CL.
    I mean, there are two kitchen sets in DHD, a GP. An EP is also deserving of lots of B/B.
    So, it does kinda feel like some shenanigans went down and they purposefully kept one kitchen set out of this EP for the Kit profit.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I don't know enough about it to be negative yet. My only gripe at this point is Maxis fills up the prime properties with premade households and I have to kick them out and take their land. lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    The concept is just not my thing. Not big on farming or country or whatever the heck "cottagecore" is, so I can wait for a sale to hit it. The only thing Im legitimately glad about is no longer hearing people demand for farming whenever a new pack comes out that isnt farming.

Except, I don't think it's going to work that way.

It's hard to tell much of anything about the expansion from the video, but I don't think that a lot of people who've been wanting farming are going to be happy with how it looks like it's being done here. For instance, where's the tractor? I saw what seems to be a vegetable competition, but are there markets where you can sell produce in bulk; and/or can you set up a store and sell your produce to other sims? There are a lot of things that people have been wanting in a farming pack.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    SimSpock wrote: »
    The concept is just not my thing. Not big on farming or country or whatever the heck "cottagecore" is, so I can wait for a sale to hit it. The only thing Im legitimately glad about is no longer hearing people demand for farming whenever a new pack comes out that isnt farming.

Except, I don't think it's going to work that way.

It's hard to tell much of anything about the expansion from the video, but I don't think that a lot of people who've been wanting farming are going to be happy with how it looks like it's being done here. For instance, where's the tractor? I saw what seems to be a vegetable competition, but are there markets where you can sell produce in bulk; and/or can you set up a store and sell your produce to other sims? There are a lot of things that people have been wanting in a farming pack.

Random thing but in my country (Sweden) they translated Cottage Living to "Lantliv" which is basically Country Living in english.

Yeah this is not what I expected with a farming pack to be honest, so I'm not sure, I still think it will be fun to play but I would not be surprised if people are gonna be left wanting horses or more farming gameplay.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    I like the picnic basket, but it seems kind of pointless if they're not going all the way with picnics. If we can't sit down on a blanket and eat, then the basket offers nothing new. We can already carry food in our sims' inventories, we can already eat at tables. Sims eat food too quickly now, so the meal would only last a few seconds, anyway.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited June 2021

:( We can't swim in ponds. Also, that first sentence is pretty much saying "We care more about customizing looks than gameplay." Yeah, there's gameplay here, but you get what I mean.

But at least there's some transparency here, which is refreshing.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    If you saw the ponds on our farms growing up you wouldn't want to swim in them. LOL However I agree its nice to see more info coming out than usual.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    At first I was kinda disappointed, but at least we can interact with the ponds - it's true that they're more like decoration and maybe to have fish in than swim as they're probably not that deep.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    MrMonty96 wrote: »
    to me as a player some seem to be judging the pack before giving it a try so i see no point in being so negative as a player i see all the new content as a great addition to the game

I think you should be more worried about your fascination with children in underwear instead of a complaint thread.

That escalated quickly.
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    edited June 2021
    I feel like EA felt comfortable enough to add the limited-time items because a farming pack was very requested so they can get away with it. I doubt it would have worked for them in a random, more experimental pack theme like... Eco Lifestyle or something.
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I don't know enough about it to be negative yet. My only gripe at this point is Maxis fills up the prime properties with premade households and I have to kick them out and take their land. lol
    😂.

I think I only keep one new family per new pack. The premades get the best land!

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    bookish_sammybookish_sammy Posts: 223 Member
    I'm pretty excited about the pack, but I do have some complaints.

First, I hate to say it but this is not really a farming pack. It is a gardening pack with a few farm animals. I'm really disappointed we aren't getting a tractor or the ability to give hay rides. I knew the animals were going to be tied to an object, so I'm not surprised by that. However, I was really hoping we'd get pigs, goats, or sheep. The llama is a fun touch though. The modder, Arnie, created a farmland mod that is more in line with what I was imagining when we discuss farming in Sims 4.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    Gordy wrote: »

:( We can't swim in ponds. Also, that first sentence is pretty much saying "We care more about customizing looks than gameplay." Yeah, there's gameplay here, but you get what I mean.

But at least there's some transparency here, which is refreshing.

With horses I can kinda understand that you would want to design the entire pack around them... horses will probably require a lot of game design...

I never really cared about ponds so I guess it's okay that there is no swimming, still a bit disappointing though.
  • Options
    NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    It feels like a glorified Game Pack to me. If it was a Game Pack, it would be a really good one for what we've seen. But there's just not enough content for an EP.

- Cows, llamas and chickens are objects.
    - World only has 12 lots and only 1 64x64 lot.
    - Picnic basket restricted to picnic tables.
    - Festivals are reskinned from City Living (again).
    - The same food stalls and vendor tables we've seen in multiple packs.
    - Only ONE skill in the entire pack.
    - Rabbits aren't real pets, but at least they can roam free unlike the rest of the animals.
    - No tractors or ACTUAL farming. It feels like an expanded gardening skill.

I honestly do not understand why everyone is so hyped for this pack.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited June 2021

Yikes. That is really bad. For forty dollars it's borderline insulting to say that that's too much work to put in the pack. In Sims 3 we literally got horses as part of the pets pack, with your standard cats and dogs, horses, multiple other animals too and a big world all in one expansion pack, but in Sims 4 they've already managed to make two expansions costing a combined 80 dollars, and it's still too much work for them to possibly put horses in? It really isn't good enough.

Also to add it's honestly very concerning how the game has got to the stage where people are genuinely agreeing that it's too much for them to possibly put into an expansion and "needs its own dedicated pack"
  • Options
    TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    So I'm wondering what the core garden-to-table experience entails? Is that the big new gameplay feature? And if so, can’t we already use garden foods in our cooking?
  • Options
    KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    edited June 2021
    Trashmagic wrote: »
    So I'm wondering what the core garden-to-table experience entails? Is that the big new gameplay feature? And if so, can’t we already use garden foods in our cooking?

Sim Guru Romeo tweeted about this feature: he said that that if you cook on a lot with a new lot characteristic coming with the pack then you will only be able to make recipes for which you have all the ingredients in your refrigerator. It's meant to add more realism to gameplay, but its only tied to the new lot trait, so its completely optional. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    Onverser wrote: »

Yikes. That is really bad. For forty dollars it's borderline insulting to say that that's too much work to put in the pack. In Sims 3 we literally got horses as part of the pets pack, with your standard cats and dogs, horses, multiple other animals too and a big world all in one expansion pack, but in Sims 4 they've already managed to make two expansions costing a combined 80 dollars, and it's still too much work for them to possibly put horses in? It really isn't good enough.

Also to add it's honestly very concerning how the game has got to the stage where people are genuinely agreeing that it's too much for them to possibly put into an expansion and "needs its own dedicated pack"
    Yeah it's quite sad.

What happened to the 'great foundation for years to come' they've been talking about, cause it's quite clear that this game has the most limited foundation in the series.
  • Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    edited June 2021
    Naus wrote: »
    It feels like a glorified Game Pack to me. If it was a Game Pack, it would be a really good one for what we've seen. But there's just not enough content for an EP.

- Cows, llamas and chickens are objects.
    - World only has 12 lots and only 1 64x64 lot.
    - Picnic basket restricted to picnic tables.
    - Festivals are reskinned from City Living (again).
    - The same food stalls and vendor tables we've seen in multiple packs.
    - Only ONE skill in the entire pack.
    - Rabbits aren't real pets, but at least they can roam free unlike the rest of the animals.
    - No tractors or ACTUAL farming. It feels like an expanded gardening skill.

I honestly do not understand why everyone is so hyped for this pack.

I agree that the world is on the small side, but I have to admit I do not understand the complaint that the animals are objects at all. The Sims 3 store animals were objects but had plenty of gameplay (and I know this because I played with them a lot). These animals look like they have even more game play attached to them, because the ingredients they produce will see a greater variety of uses in the game and even some cross-pack compatibility (with Nifty Knitting), and you can also build relationships with these animals which will (apparently) have meaningful effects on what they produce. Personally, I would not want any of these new animals taking up one of the precious limited 8 slots for a household (ie., ceasing to be animal-objects): it means you can have a flock of chickens, and a small herd of cows, etc, with a full household of a multi-generational family and their pets.

I don't know yet how the picnic baskets will work, so you may be correct that the inability to place them on the ground is a disappointing lack of functionality. However, from what I have read the food stalls/ vendors will not behave in the same way as do the ones in other packs, not the least because they have their own unique NPCs, and those NPCs can send your sim on quests around the village. We also don't know for sure that there will be only one skill in the pack; the gurus are still being incredibly vague about that. We do know we are at least getting one trait (Animal Enthusiast), and possibly more (the gurus are being cagey about that too). As for tractors, I can tell you as someone who bought the farming set from the Sims 3 store, the tractor was the biggest let down of that set. It was a huge problem to use, incredibly awkward and cumbersome with its track, and pretty much useless.

I also don't know why small mixed hobby farms, pure vegetable farms or chicken farms or dairies would not be considered ACTUAL farming as you call it. Many members of my family were farmers, including a couple of dairy farmers, a pig farmer and a chicken farmer. They ran small farms (by most standards); they were certainly not industrial factory farms. Please tell me what would you consider ACTUAL farming to be? Grain farming with huge acreage only? Ranching with huge herds of cattle or sheep? I'm genuinely curious.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top