Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why can't we eat the animals from the new Cottage EP?

ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
Apparently, we won't be able to cook the meat from the cows, chickens, or rabbits from the pack. Rabbits will roam around the world. Cows can be milked. Chickens give eggs. Dassit!

Whyyyyyyy?!?!?!?!

Sims can eat meals featuring real meat, but can't get the real meat from the animals to make the food?

Comments

• catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Is there a trailer for whatever this new cottage thing is
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Is there a trailer for whatever this new cottage thing is

@catmando830

https://youtu.be/7rSNOU_T7mg
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Any word on how much it will be
  • hunni121hunni121 Posts: 2 New Member
    I shouldn't be laughing at this but I could honestly see a modder make this happen :D
  • KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    Same Question but for My First Pet.

LOL :D - Reminds me of a Woody Allen film.
  • LJKLJK Posts: 257 Member
    edited June 2021
    Likely because they'd experience backlash. This game isn't marketed towards players of many ages, it's primarily marketed to kids and teens. Kids and teens probably aren't the most sturdy when it comes to the origin of meat. The game is a "safe space". This is just another example. Personally, I saw it coming and do not care too much, but should a mod or some sort come out that lets you harvest meat from animals, I'm going to install it.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,709 Member
    Any word on how much it will be

Expansion packs are $40.
  • greydonngreydonn Posts: 715 Member
    Same Question but for My First Pet.

So is it more the hamster, or the rat that you have a hankering for?
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,587 Member
    Honestly, there is still a way to make it PG or PG13 for turning animals into meat. You don't have to go grizzly horror show about it. Ex: sim leads animal to shed, comes out with a stack of meat but Larry the Llama is mysteriously missing...

But real talk, kids/teens know where meat comes from. Especially with Eco Living having freaky funky growing meat wall alternatives; it doesn't seem that offensive to have the OPTION to raise livestock for meat.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,594 Member
    edited June 2021
    Wouldn't think anything too grizzly maybe selling the animals to whatever 3rd party and you can either get money in exchange or the animal meat. Think that would have been pretty fair, but the internet tends to make a big thing about things so much even when it comes down to player choice to want to taking features out or etc.

Remember sims who hate children could still try for baby in a daze state? Derp, still comes down to player choice but many saw this as not having consent even through it's the sims and ironically people tend to take away autonomous will by them, but guess that don't count even though it is a game. :# Guess it's just best to leave the option out entirely. Much like the whole 'bowing' at shrines that could have been left in and just not have it autonomous.
    Post edited by LadyKyn on
    5vJrxmT.png
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Simmers (most) have proven they want nothing more then a safe space so that's what they are giving us. Keep it disney and there is nothing to outrage about. Personally I'm okay with not making meat out of them but I do like having nitty gritty "options" in my game.
    Evil sims are pretty pointless in this game.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    Wouldn't thin anything too grizzly maybe selling the animals to whatever 3rd party and you can either get money in exchange or the animal meat. Think that would have been pretty fair, but the internet tends to make a big thing about things so much even when it comes down to player choice to want to taking features out or etc.

Remember sims who hate children could still try for baby in a daze state? Derp, still comes down to player choice but many saw this as not having consent even through it's the sims and ironically people tend to take away autonomous will by them, but guess that don't count even though it is a game. :# Guess it's just best to leave the option out entirely. Much like the whole 'bowing' at shrines that could have been left in and just not have it autonomous.

Yes! Just like how we can make a phone call and sell our pets, we should be able to make a phone call and “sell” these animals then we’d either get actual money, end up with meat in our inventories after the deal or both! It could totally work. No blood and guts involved.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,952 Member
    The Sims isn't about killing anything, so they wanted to keep it wholesome. The farm animals are supposed to be like pets and EA didn't want to invite unnecessary controversy, which killing animals you raise, cuddle and pet would inevitably cause...The dev team has always said they would do it like this and in Sims 3 it was the same. They were never willing to do farming for meat.

If you want meat, you can fish.
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    I'm confused cause I don't see anywhere of this being confirmed ??
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,085 Member
    I think it's pretty obvious. The intended audience for this game includes kids....and kids would not be on board with killing animals to eat
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    I mean, to put it simply into two words: Vegans & Children. But to go into a more elaborative comment, it would be because they've decided to make this pack a more Old McDonald type farm, where it's a more idyllic, storybook and wholesome view of farm-life. Where animals are raised more as pets rather than produce, which is strange because I know farmers irl who actually have pet versions of the animals they keep and kill for produce/food. But w/e, can't have it both ways it seems. :neutral:
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    edited June 2021
    logion wrote: »
    Maybe they found it a little too much to be able to befriend your animals, give them names, increase their relationships, give them clothes, have your kids give them hugs and then eat them.

I think they should have given us the option, I mean it's a little silly that you can hug your chicken and then immediately go and eat Chicken Saltimbocca directly afterwards.

Maybe Anet should check out some Homesteading channels on Youtube. I always find it more wholesome to see families naming and truly caring about their animals before it comes time to harvest them. I would prefer to eat meat from an animal that was cared for and had a happy life from the moment it was born myself.
    The kids argument doesn't fly with me either. Kids that grow up in an environment like homesteads have a deep understanding of life and death and learn to truly appreciate where their food comes from. And that includes being a part of plucking and preparing the chicken they were caring for a day ago. The ones I've encountered anyway. I'm pretty sure all the kids throughout history have managed just fine. They aren't precious delicate flowers, they are what we make them.
    I'd have been happy with silly plants that grew sausages though.
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,175 Member
    We generally didn't eat the dairy cows though they may have shipped them off for hamburger or something after their milking days were finished. No one ever said. Hmmm I vaguely remember the laying hens being used for stewing after though so I'm guessing probably they did the same with Daisy & Belle & Oh No ! Not Irma (was named after my mom by my Uncle) I never did understand why she wasn't amused at the time.

Ahhh the innocence of childhood. So no I wouldn't want it in my game even though I am very much a grownup now.
    With all that is going on in the world now I think I am going to enjoy a simpler time for awhile. At least until that dang fox shows up at my henhouse.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion