Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Six years in The Sims 4, Does the Lack of open world still bothers You?

The Sims 4 has come so far when it comes to the content. From Vampires to Snowy Escape. Preferences to Trait Improvements, We cannot deny how the game is Improving. However no matter how many improvements they can make there is the Open world feature that they cannot be put in the game.

With the Improvements that The Sims 4 has made for six years, is open world still essential for you?

Six years in The Sims 4, Does the Lack of open world still bothers You? 215 votes

Yes
20%
CK213catmom1987GoldmoldarMstybl95Annie2008suetoopncisGibbs02SlayeurTownmomboqueenDarkLady2788SucomFonxi121994Kironidedavina1221FelicityRockDeskmannannawormofthebookfoxybillyboredbeauty111 43 votes
No
59%
Akl500Pbshag4lvbrackencat31Icewolfalan650111Simmervilleaelias24JueJuePlayerSinger2010TheSpotted_CSimburianchickenowBloosmooPipersfun2haneulsimgirl1010cchant86IObelleMindofyYautjagirl 128 votes
Sometimes
20%
Bluegaylealexspoom13sims2freak737AlexairudolphalisamwittrhaliusIsb917babajayneelanorbretonUmbralFlowermercuryfoamJestTruHeavensent2010CelenaLampreyjak135jcp011c2HarukotyanbixtersScarleton 44 votes

Comments

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    Sometimes
    There are infrequent times when I would like to control multiple sims in different areas of the world.

Other than that, I would be happy if it was just open districts so we could visit next door without a loading screen.
  • KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    Yes
    Yes, I miss it with every single loading screen! That and the colour wheel.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    edited June 2021
    No
    Never bothered me, I count it as a plus because it makes rotational play work.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    I don't really want a complete open world, but I would love a semi-open world - as in open neighborhoods, but not entire towns. It makes more sense and we would have less lag from it.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    Yes
    Not being able to go in nearby houses/venues without loading screens, not being able to control the whole household when they all go in different places, not being able to see where other Sims are, being able to put in places to go over the whole map of where I wanted them to go/or what to collect, and the feeling of being over the whole world and deciding what to do with it all. Immersion in the game; immersion has never been the same.

The poll should be for those who at least played to the Sims3. If you only played the Sims4, then you have no clue what you have missed or what open world can do for gameplay.
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    No
    It never bothered me to begin with.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Yes
    davina1221 wrote: »
    Not being able to go in nearby houses/venues without loading screens, not being able to control the whole household when they all go in different places, not being able to see where other Sims are, being able to put in places to go over the whole map of where I wanted them to go/or what to collect, and the feeling of being over the whole world and deciding what to do with it all. Immersion in the game; immersion has never been the same.

The poll should be for those who at least played to the Sims3. If you only played the Sims4, then you have no clue what you have missed or what open world can do for gameplay.

I agree with the immersion part as loading screens regardless if it supposely cuts down on lag it messes with my flow especially if it happens frequently.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,370 Member
    No
    I've never even wanted an open world. I love how crowded the community lots are when my Sims visit them. There are always a lot of Sims around.
    I'd rather have the loading screen than watch for my Sim to drive a car or use some other mode of transport to the other side of the city.
    Loading screens have never bothered me, not even when they used to last a long time on my old laptop.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,411 Member
    Sometimes
    I don't need an open world but I want an open neighbourhoods, so I am somewhere in between. I never liked the open world in sims 3 because I didn't like to focus on one sim on the map while another family is doing things out of my sight. And the zooming was sooo slow. But I would definitely like it on a neighbourhood scale.
  • ThisSentenceIsALieThisSentenceIsALie Posts: 78 Member
    Sometimes
    Like others have already pointed out, I would like to have open neighbourhoods so it's easier to visit neighbours. I don't have a problem with loadingscreens per se, but I like being able to control several sims at the same time and not be constricted to their home and the open parts of the neighbourhood.
    /ᐠ。ꞈ。ᐟ\ ノ
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,888 Member
    edited June 2021
    No
    I don't really want it in first place as i belong more to the ts1-2 gang than ts3 gang and i had bad time with it in ts3

but i would like to have waters swimmable and ability to add/delete objects that are off lot in my neighborhoods even if that means separate neighborhood edit mode or something

multiple venues on one lot would be neat too like i can do it but sometimes it won't really function how i planned
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,085 Member
    Yes
    As I've never played anything before TS4, I'm not sure what the concept of open world is. I do have a big problem with having to go back to the main menu and have loadscreens, though---it really seems unnecessary
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    No
    Doesn't bother me. We have loading screens in real life, too. Only we call them cars, planes, bikes, boats, feet and such, and they usually take way longer than game loading screens. :lol:
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • SanniSilliSanniSilli Posts: 160 Member
    No
    I never enjoyed it in The Sims 3, so I don't miss it. It takes so much less time nowadays to get everywhere, compared to my sims drving themselves to work etc... Yes, there is a loading screen, I don't mind at all. If someting, maybe I could like having "semi-open world" so that little neighborhood areas could be open. But not the whole world.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited June 2021
    Yes
    Yes, I have a save that is pretty large so my loading times are pretty long. I would like to be able to go to the local bar or visit people in the neighborhood without loading screens. You are too locked to your home lot, even when you go to work or school you are not even leaving the lot. And if you want to visit more than one lot, then you have to look at a lot of loading screens.
  • Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    Yes
    I don't mind about the hole open world but i would like to have open neighborhoods, so i could go to nearby lots/houses with out needing leading screen. Same with apartments. the hole world/map don't have to be open.
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • YautjagirlYautjagirl Posts: 351 Member
    No
    I am perfectly happy with the closed world, what bothers me is:
    1) the randomness of the npcs from all the worlds. If the walk bys were always from the current world + ocassional sim from other world with a tourist sign over their head it would help with the immersion.
    2) that there are no car pools, school buses and the sim travelling from lot to lot is just an instant disappearance...

I admit open world of TS3 was amazing, I loved to travel with my sim to work and watch the neighbourhood unfold, but I still play sims 3 too, so I can live without it in TS4.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited June 2021
    Yes
    Kimmer wrote: »
    I've never even wanted an open world. I love how crowded the community lots are when my Sims visit them. There are always a lot of Sims around.

Computer CPUs are faster now so TS3 community lots are a lot more crowded. Moreover, the whole open world is just teeming with activity even outside of lots. I really love it!

Screenshot-61.jpg
    Screenshot-10.jpg
    Screenshot-115.jpg
    Screenshot-51.jpg
    Screenshot-97.jpg

Kimmer wrote: »
    I'd rather have the loading screen than watch for my Sim to drive a car or use some other mode of transport to the other side of the city.
    Loading screens have never bothered me, not even when they used to last a long time on my old laptop.
    VeeDub wrote: »
    Doesn't bother me. We have loading screens in real life, too. Only we call them cars, planes, bikes, boats, feet and such, and they usually take way longer than game loading screens. :lol:
    SanniSilli wrote: »
    I never enjoyed it in The Sims 3, so I don't miss it. It takes so much less time nowadays to get everywhere, compared to my sims drving themselves to work etc... Yes, there is a loading screen, I don't mind at all. If someting, maybe I could like having "semi-open world" so that little neighborhood areas could be open. But not the whole world.
    VeeDub wrote: »

In TS3, cars aren't the only mode of transport. If you want fast, teleport level of transportation and still not have loading screens, there are a variety of ways to do this:
    1. cheat code
    2. subway system
    3. jetpack
    4. LLAMA transport system
    5. alien space ship
    6. hot air balloon

So not only are these issues no longer a problem in The Sims 3, it still doesn't have loading screens interrupting game play.

• skybird14skybird14 Posts: 90 Member
    No
    It doesn't bother me really. I find that when I play TS3, we may have open worlds but the load time for the game itself takes that much longer which annoys me more.
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    No
    No, but then I skipped Sims 3. Coming from Sims 2, I never experienced an open world.
    edited June 2021
    Yes
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I don't really want it in first place as i belong more to the ts1-2 gang than ts3 gang and i had bad time with it in ts3

but i would like to have waters swimmable and ability to add/delete objects that are off lot in my neighborhoods even if that means separate neighborhood edit mode or something

multiple venues on one lot would be neat too like i can do it but sometimes it won't really function how i planned

You can actually have more than one venue on a lot in TS3.

You should give TS3 a try again. We'll help you in the TS3 section of this forum! It's really fun and you can do more with it than you can with TS4 or even TS2 and TS1.

• CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    Yes
    I really enjoyed having my sims in multiple places at the same time.
    I also liked being able to see what was going on in the rest of the town. It would usually give me ideas for other things to do.
    You would see a sim in a park, or arriving home, and you would suddenly be on an unexpected new path of game play.

The world doesn't need to be 100+ lots available to you, but I would at least like to see districts of 15-20 lots.
    Basically ALL the lots open in a World like Willocreek or Windenburg.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    Yes
    skybird14 wrote: »
    It doesn't bother me really. I find that when I play TS3, we may have open worlds but the load time for the game itself takes that much longer which annoys me more.

The loading time at the beginning isn't that long anymore if you have a newer computer or even an SSD on an old computer.

I remember when I had my old computer, that while the game loaded at the beginning, I would set things up around my computer to get comfortable and settle in for a long session of playing TS3:
    • make hot chocolate
    • make snack/meal depending on time of day
    • put some extra cushions/pillows on the seat
    • grab comfy blanket
    • turn on tv for background noise or news

It had become some kind of ritual that there is actually a discussion thread in The Sims 3 section about what people do while the game is loading, lol!

• logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited June 2021
    Yes
    Another reason why I miss open world to is that I feel that the system that we have in the sims4 quickly falls apart once you start playing with multiple sims.

If you want one sim to visit another lot then you have very little control of what the others are doing, which is fine if you don't want to play them I guess but if you want them to for example go to sleep at night you can't even tell them to do that so often when you get home the sims are sitting and watching tv at 03:00 AM and they have not done anything while you were away on another lot.

• SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,888 Member
    No
    Simmingal wrote: »

You can actually have more than one venue on a lot in TS3.

You should give TS3 a try again. We'll help you in the TS3 section of this forum! It's really fun and you can do more with it than you can with TS4 or even TS2 and TS1.

oh ive gone back too and such most recently few months ago I tried playing some and posted it

but I just don't really vibe with ts3 for some reason it just feels choreful for me after a bit so I don't really stay playing for eternity
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free