Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you rather build in The Sims 2 (base game) or play The Sims 4 on first release date?

Comments

• CamarieSimsCamarieSims Posts: 30 Member
    Play The Sims 4 (only base game, release-date version)
    Sims 4 on Release Date. Mainly because I've never played The Sims 2 which means I know absolutely nothing about it. While I do know that TS4 on release date was absolutely horrid, the fact still remains I'd prefer the relative known to a complete mystery.
    FYI, now known as insomniacsims on Simblr and Origin; profile picture is an old makeover of Zoe Patel
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I hate building, so sims 4 it is.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Results
    Honestly, game play wise, for me Sims 2 was better but for building? It was terrible. So if my only options are to build in Sims 2 and play in Sims 4 I'd choose to do both in Sims 3.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Build in The Sims 2 (only base game allowed)
    Seeing as the poll said only Sims 2 base game and Sims 4 at release I'd pick Sims 2 I have not forgot the nothingness Sims 4 was at release no pools no basements no elevation tool or water tool it was just horrible.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • SallycutecatSallycutecat Posts: 269 Member
    I played the Sims 4 when it first came out and it was fun. Of course it's a lot better now with the updates and packs it's received and I wouldn't want to go back, but at the time I enjoyed it.
    Please check out my YouTube Channel. I cover features from The Sims 4 game.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCaj9o4hycNSPy8U1Ip0OCFA/videos
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,554 Member
    I'm also not a builder.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Rabellaka_SimmingRabellaka_Simming Posts: 46 Member
    I played The Sims 4 at release. I went back to Sims 2 after just a few weeks, even though it took over half an hour to load the game! I've played The Sims 2 since the day it came out. I even liked it better than The Sims3, which I had all the EPs for as well.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Is this about building or gameplay?
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    I actually would love to get a hang of building in The Sims 2 (I think being more used to Sims 3's cameras is what mainly threw me off) and Sims 4 on release didn't appeal to me so I might as well educate myself. :sweat_smile:
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I'm going with neither. I did actually happily build a couple of boxes of increasing size in TS2 which was fine with me. I was actually never frustrated with building but I am frustrated by roofing in TS4. I also did not play the bare TS4 base game and only came in later when more content was out. I'm not that wild about the very early packs of TS4. I don't have an opinion on speculative TS5 except that I'm not crazy about buying the same themes over again. If it really impresses me I'll get it but I generally waited in the past and probably would again. If it's an MMO though - nope. I just as easily might call it quits then.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    i play the sims4 with all the packs
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    The resident TS2 fan is back with a couple more observations prompted by some TS4 building attempts yesterday. In TS2 we can put fences at the actual border of a lot, not 1 square in. That may not seem like much, but that extra space can be valuable in tight builds where the house takes up much of the lot. The other is that TS2 fireplaces come with chimneys, that adapt to house height and roofing. If you add a level, no problem. Just pull the fireplace out then put back in, and your chimney is now at the new correct height. After all these years and all the DLC & patches, TS4 still forces you to put your fences 1 square in per lot side with the ludicrous claim of can't go beyond lot boundary. Fireplaces still have no chimneys so one must still 'fake it', especially on outside walls. I've seen even Maxis builds with the roof portion of the chimney nowhere near the fireplace's location. So much for realism.
  • waterywatermelonwaterywatermelon Posts: 473 Member
    Results
    In TS2 we can put fences at the actual border of a lot, not 1 square in. The other is that TS2 fireplaces come with chimneys, that adapt to house height and roofing.

Both features are carried over to The Sims 3.
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited September 2021
    texxx78 wrote: »
    I answer play in 4 just because i'm not a builder. I always prefer to play over exclusivelly building...

@texxx78 I don't understand your point. Sims 4 base game release was terrible for gameplay but strong with building. Your preference suggests Sims 2 would be better for you.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
    Results
    I don't understand your point. Sims 4 base game release was terrible for gameplay but strong with building. Your preference suggests Sims 2 would be better for you.

I am not texxx78, but I will guess that his or her intention is that he or she doesn't find building enjoyable at all -- to the point that he or she will just play The Sims 4 at launch and overlook the negative aspects.

I am sure that most players - whether they play The Sims 2, The Sims 3, or The Sims 4 - will overlook the negative aspects of their favorite game, whatever that may be.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    It would be very interesting and fun to watch to veteran builders build in the TS2 base game and the TS4 original base game before it was improved months later. It could be a challenge the TS2 builder (who has a lot of experience) against a TS4 experienced builder. lol How fast can they build a multi story home, (with only both base game assets) several basements in a split level home, with an attached garage, balconies, different roof types for different sections of the home, railings and stairs in different unusual areas of the home or building, remove floor tile and replace or none at all in smaller sections and roof decorations and decorations around windows like shutters etc. Throw everything at them and see which one can do it faster. Someone who has been building for TS2 for years (and yes cheats are allowed to build curved roofs etc.) and or someone who has been building in TS4 for years. I can see the draw backs for TS4 with things like floor tiles and failure to be able to build a split level because of terraforming from the get go in TS4. But interesting how fast it could all be done.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Building in TS2 is terrible even after all packs were added so definitely playing TS4 base game at launch.
    edited September 2021
    Results
    @Cinebar

1. The Sims 2 allows you to carve out the foundation to make a basement. The Sims 3 also allows you to do this, and in addition to that, you also get the World Adventures-style tomb-basement tool. This tomb-basement tool is later carried over to The Sims 4.
    2. The Sims 4 may have the advantage over the split-level home, because of the easiness of platforms. The Sims 2 requires you to do some terraforming and constrainFloorElevation work, and you have to count the number of clicks. It's easy, but it's kind of time-consuming as well.
    3. As for the attached garage next to a house on a foundation, I find it easier to build that in The Sims 2 than The Sims 4.
    4. The Sims 2 and The Sims 4 both have the ability to remove the floor tile with the sledgehammer tool, but The Sims 4 carries over the sledgehammer tool from The Sims 3, allowing you to sledgehammer a whole area.
    I can see the draw backs for TS4 with things like floor tiles and failure to be able to build a split level because of terraforming from the get go in TS4. But interesting how fast it could all be done.

- Floor tiles aren't a problem in The Sims 4.
    - The Sims 4 now has platforms.

I still want walk-out basements in The Sims 4, though. Right now, it is impossible to build a walk-out basement like that in The Sims 3 and The Sims 2.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    @simmerorigin sorry, i haven't seen your question until today. I don't like to build, it's really not my thing. I can do it, and i can feel well with the results, but i don't enjoy the process. If the question was if i would prefer playing sims 2 bg or 4 bg, then i would have answered 2. But building... i think i'ld never be a sims fan if the game was only about building.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,887 Member
    I would just be sad I am not allowed to play sims 2 only build

and also didn't I already make this choice when I played sims 4 on its release :sweat_smile:

I'd love to play ts2 and 1 again with all eps

but I've lost most of it to time and my computer doesn't even have disc thingy no more so :/ id need them to put it on origin
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,061 Member
    I clicked on the wrong answer, I meant to click on "would prefer to play Sims 4 on release date".

Sims 2 build mode was a nightmare. You had to type in 6000 different cheat codes just to try to do anything beyond the scope of building a square box. If you made a mistake, or forgot to add a foundation, you had to delete just about everything and start over. I preferred to download other peoples' builds because I just didn't have the patience for it.
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    @Cinebar

1. The Sims 2 allows you to carve out the foundation to make a basement. The Sims 3 also allows you to do this, and in addition to that, you also get the World Adventures-style tomb-basement tool. This tomb-basement tool is later carried over to The Sims 4.
    2. The Sims 4 may have the advantage over the split-level home, because of the easiness of platforms. The Sims 2 requires you to do some terraforming and constrainFloorElevation work, and you have to count the number of clicks. It's easy, but it's kind of time-consuming as well.
    3. As for the attached garage next to a house on a foundation, I find it easier to build that in The Sims 2 than The Sims 4.
    4. The Sims 2 and The Sims 4 both have the ability to remove the floor tile with the sledgehammer tool, but The Sims 4 carries over the sledgehammer tool from The Sims 3, allowing you to sledgehammer a whole area.
    I can see the draw backs for TS4 with things like floor tiles and failure to be able to build a split level because of terraforming from the get go in TS4. But interesting how fast it could all be done.

- Floor tiles aren't a problem in The Sims 4.
    - The Sims 4 now has platforms.

I still want walk-out basements in The Sims 4, though. Right now, it is impossible to build a walk-out basement like that in The Sims 3 and The Sims 2.

I agree, I'd love to build walk-out basements. I was just thinking about that the other day, in fact, wearing my frowny face :/
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,104 Member
    Build in Sims 2 base game. I never again want to see the horror show that was Sims 4 at release. Never. Sims 4 base game now? Sure, I'd play that. But at release? I think I opened the game and closed it maybe 10 minutes later in horror. Then started my Sims 2 game (which took just over 2 HOURS to load due to mods and CC et al) and didn't look at Sims 4 again until right after they released toddlers. Now I have nearly or about 10k hours in according to Origin, and probably more than that because offline hours don't count. :lol:
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    texxx78 wrote: »
    @simmerorigin sorry, i haven't seen your question until today. I don't like to build, it's really not my thing. I can do it, and i can feel well with the results, but i don't enjoy the process. If the question was if i would prefer playing sims 2 bg or 4 bg, then i would have answered 2. But building... i think I'll never be a sims fan if the game was only about building.

Got it!
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • LogicallyironicLogicallyironic Posts: 137 Member
    edited November 2021
    I voted this but then remembered I probably spent more time in Sims 2 build/buy to build my own neighborhood(!) than I did in Sims 4 at release.