Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For everyone complaining about DHD gameplay...

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited June 2021
    AmeliaTodd wrote: »
    logion wrote: »
    CelSims wrote: »
    The person who made that reddit post have a point I guess. It's pretty difficult to keep track of your clients likes and dislikes though. I guess you have to look at their sim profiles?

I also can't help but wonder that the game generates likes and dislikes when you ask them, which means that you will just end up generating likes and dislikes by asking them, but I haven't tested it.

Think I saw you mention in the positive thread that you went in and gave Eliza Pancakes likes and dislikes, including disliking the colour orange. Yet when pressed in a gig, she choose orange as a colour? It makes me wonder what the point of likes and dislikes is at all. Should't the game have selected one she at least didnt have on her dislike list?
    Or did I get that wrong?
    You had given Bob orange as a like. So it seems that when you ask a household member they are going to give you a like of any random sim in the household maybe. Why would Eliza tell you to use Bobs favourite colour. It ought to pick another of hers.

Yeah I think that interaction doesn't work if you have selected a bunch of disliked colors already. I'm still trying some of these interactions out. She should have said one of her other favorite colors and not one that she hated. I probably should have designed the room so it used both colors that I knew both Bob and Eliza liked, and not try to convince Eliza to like another color.

I think colors matter, Bob loved it and he loves orange. That said, it's pretty difficult to keep track of what your clients like and dislike when the UI only lists a few likes/dislikes in the list (I think it's one per client? Eliza's color was pink and it changed to orange so I think she changed her like/dislike from the UI and not someone else's) Expecting us to keep track of what our clients like ourselves is not great but I think it's designed so you can change the likes/dislikes in the UI into something that you can work with by keep asking your clients.

It's not, all three can be filled by one person if you are not careful. Besides some households have one sim, other have eight, so it can't be 1 per client nor can it be just those 3.

I thought about it and you are right, in my gig I also had likes writing and likes working out, and there is no way that their two kids (Bob and Eliza have two kids in my save) liked writing and working out. I did ask them but it looks like they picked something that Bob and Eliza liked. I went back and checked in cas and one kid had no likes/dislikes assigned.

So that makes it a bit tricky to keep track of what your clients will like and dislike and for you to be able to build a room that all your clients will like. It does sound like you could miss likes/dislikes from one of your clients because they can say something that someone else likes instead. From what I understand though, if the client doesn't like or dislike anything in the room, they will like it, maybe they will just follow the UI likes/dislikes instead then.

That makes sense with what Eliza said after the renovation. "You ticked all the boxes but it feels wrong." Which means, I ticked all the UI boxes, but I used a color that she disliked too much.
    Post edited by logion on
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Holiday wrote: »
    IceyJ wrote: »
    alan650111 wrote: »
    So we're considering gameplay as repeatedly clicking through pie menus to keep asking the same questions then?

What else do you do on any Sims game though? It basically is clicking and going through menus for all features? Also the post clearly had much more to say than "click through menus"?

This career is literally based off asking Sims the same 4 questions. There is nothing "complicated" about it like the title of the post suggests. There is no gameplay added by adding a string of text to a pie menu. I don't really understand what's not to get that this pack does not include gameplay? You show up to a house, ask the family the same 4 questions and then enter build/buy and then do a farcical reveal.

It is all gameplay.

Sad that you think so. New gameplay to me would be having new traits to play with, a new aspiration to work towards, a new design skill to focus on which would ultimately play a part in the difficulty of the renovation, objects that allowed Sims to help shape their career while out of working hours. I really don’t think turning up to a house, finding out some likes and dislikes really cuts it, because entering build/buy isn’t gameplay, it’s build/buy.

Build buy is also gameplay.
  • Options
    AmeliaToddAmeliaTodd Posts: 226 Member
    edited June 2021
    The person who made that reddit post have a point I guess. It's pretty difficult to keep track of your clients likes and dislikes though. I guess you have to look at their sim profiles?

I also can't help but wonder that the game generates likes and dislikes when you ask them, which means that you will just end up generating likes and dislikes by asking them, but I haven't tested it.

Think I saw you mention in the positive thread that you went in and gave Eliza Pancakes likes and dislikes, including disliking the colour orange. Yet when pressed in a gig, she choose orange as a colour? It makes me wonder what the point of likes and dislikes is at all. Should't the game have selected one she at least didnt have on her dislike list?
    Or did I get that wrong?
    You had given Bob orange as a like. So it seems that when you ask a household member they are going to give you a like of any random sim in the household maybe. Why would Eliza tell you to use Bobs favourite colour. It ought to pick another of hers.

Yeah I think that interaction doesn't work if you have selected a bunch of disliked colors already. I'm still trying some of these interactions out. She should have said one of her other favorite colors and not one that she hated. I probably should have designed the room so it used both colors that I knew both Bob and Eliza liked, and not try to convince Eliza to like another color.

I think colors matter, Bob loved it and he loves orange. That said, it's pretty difficult to keep track of what your clients like and dislike when the UI only lists a few likes/dislikes in the list (I think it's one per client? Eliza's color was pink and it changed to orange so I think she changed her like/dislike from the UI and not someone else's) Expecting us to keep track of what our clients like ourselves is not great but I think it's designed so you can change the likes/dislikes in the UI into something that you can work with by keep asking your clients.

It's not, all three can be filled by one person if you are not careful. Besides some households have one sim, other have eight, so it can't be 1 per client nor can it be just those 3.

I thought about it and you are right, in my gig I also had likes writing and likes working out, and there is no way that their two kids (Bob and Eliza have two kids in my save) liked writing and working out. I did ask them but it looks like they picked something that Bob and Eliza liked. I went back and checked in cas and one kid had no likes/dislikes assigned.

So that makes it a bit tricky to keep track of what your clients will like and dislike and for you to be able to build a room that all your clients will like. It does sound like you could miss likes/dislikes from one of your clients because they can say something that someone else likes instead. From what I understand though, if the client doesn't like or dislike anything in the room, they will like it, maybe they will just follow the UI likes/dislikes instead then.

That makes sense with what Eliza said after the renovation. "You ticked all the boxes but it feels wrong." Which means, I ticked all the UI boxes, but I used a color that she disliked too much.

Yep, I agree. It would be interesting to know in what way this influencing works. Because it could be on case to case scenario, that because Eliza already had disliked this color, the game didn't override her actual preferences, just made her temporary agree. Or it could be that it's universal and it just makes the sim agree for now but doesn't add to their preference quota. This game-play is a bit peculiar because we don't know fully the rules by which we are playing at the moment at least. Not the same, but kinda reminded me of doctor career, where half of the time I have to use visual cues to guess the diagnosis.
    Post edited by AmeliaTodd on
  • Options
    JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    Some people want every pack to be for them.

DHD is exactly the pack for me. It works exactly as I would want it to and I really like everything about it.

The upcoming 'Henford' EP, if speculation is right; would be about as far from what I want to see as you can get (which still might not stop me from buying it if I feel I can slice out enough CAS and built objects for my playstyle). But that's just fine. Everyone should get their turn at a pack that appeals to them.

Sims is not complex gameplay anyway. This is a pretty casual game. Easy to 'win'. They even encourage cheat code to make winning easier. This isn't some first person shooter you need to play at 144 FPS on a large monitor with voice coms and ultra fast responses, this isn't some massive MMO you and 40 other people gather together to spend 3 weeks fighting the same exact monster until you finally get it, this isn't some platform game where you jump over bricks and stomp mushrooms while dodging turtles on endless repeating levels until you get taken out...

It's a super casual pick some menu options, build some cute stuff and then watch what they do with it all game. This is the game you play to take a mental break from everything else, while still being mentally entertained and engaged.

DHD just finally mixes the 'play' part of the game with the 'build' part. And does so in a simple and easy to use, easy to figure out, and easy to enjoy the super-casual results fashion.

I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    A pack you're paying £20 for shouldn't be 'casual'. Especially not when Paranormal Stuff came with significantly more functional stuff.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    Thanks to the OP for the link, it was very informative and makes me want to try the DHD career now. I loved the career in Sims 3 and would love to love this one. I do love the b/b catalog.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited June 2021

Or did I get that wrong?

Yep, I agree. It would be interesting to know in what way this influencing works. Because it could be on case to case scenario, that because Eliza already had disliked this color, the game didn't override her actual preferences, just made her temporary agree. Or it could be that it's universal and it just makes the sim agree for now but doesn't add to their preference quota. This game-play is a bit peculiar because we don't know fully the rules by which we are playing at the moment at least. Not the same, but kinda reminded me of doctor career, where half of the time I have to use visual cues to guess the diagnosis.

I would like to know it too. I did another gig for the pancakes where they wanted me to renovate their entire floor, I combined their favorite colors, and suggested another color. They did not like it. I don't know if you use too much of a color they don't like you automatically fail. I tried suggest another color again and they said gray, which was not a color that they liked so I'm not sure I trust that interaction. It could just be that the Pancakes are doomed to fail because I messed too much with their likes and dislikes...

Another thing that bothers me is that during the reveal they sometimes don't look at all at the things I renovated. I did a gig for Vlad and he did not even look in the room, and then he did not like the renovation (even if he had no likes or dislikes in CAS) so I hope that the reveal doesn't matter as well because if it does then you are going to fail some gigs just because your clients doesn't look in the rooms.
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    The following post from someone on Reddit is 100% to the point of explaining how the gameplay of gigs were intended. This person is right on the dot!

Edited to add: There is also some very enlightening responses on this same post that just add things to think about to the most enjoyment out of the pack. Interior decorator career is by far one of the best careers to hit any Sims game and I've been there since beginning. Definitely needs some bugs worked out but I am having fun with it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sims4/comments/nsymhl/please_please_try_to_understand_how_a_game_works/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

I also am having more fun playing this than probably any career yet, but I liked it in the Sims3 too. I like that you can do your own thing instead of change out/add these items. What I wish they would change is sometimes, the color/hobby questions don't show up real fast and stay on the menu. I don't want to get a half bar of friendship to find out their likes. I should be able to ask them point blank 24/7 and get an answer. Also, add their likes to their pictures in the relationship info part, that way Sims don't have to ask later if they forget.
  • Options
    ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 520 Member
    So we're considering gameplay as repeatedly clicking through pie menus to keep asking the same questions then?

ha ha ha haha if I could have given you two awesomes, i would have
  • Options
    ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 520 Member

What else do you do on any Sims game though? It basically is clicking and going through menus for all features? Also the post clearly had much more to say than "click through menus"?

This career is literally based off asking Sims the same 4 questions. There is nothing "complicated" about it like the title of the post suggests. There is no gameplay added by adding a string of text to a pie menu. I don't really understand what's not to get that this pack does not include gameplay? You show up to a house, ask the family the same 4 questions and then enter build/buy and then do a farcical reveal.

oh my god, i love this he he he
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2021
    Jyotai wrote: »
    Some people want every pack to be for them.

DHD is exactly the pack for me. It works exactly as I would want it to and I really like everything about it.

The upcoming 'Henford' EP, if speculation is right; would be about as far from what I want to see as you can get (which still might not stop me from buying it if I feel I can slice out enough CAS and built objects for my playstyle). But that's just fine. Everyone should get their turn at a pack that appeals to them.

Sims is not complex gameplay anyway. This is a pretty casual game. Easy to 'win'. They even encourage cheat code to make winning easier. This isn't some first person shooter you need to play at 144 FPS on a large monitor with voice coms and ultra fast responses, this isn't some massive MMO you and 40 other people gather together to spend 3 weeks fighting the same exact monster until you finally get it, this isn't some platform game where you jump over bricks and stomp mushrooms while dodging turtles on endless repeating levels until you get taken out...

It's a super casual pick some menu options, build some cute stuff and then watch what they do with it all game. This is the game you play to take a mental break from everything else, while still being mentally entertained and engaged.

DHD just finally mixes the 'play' part of the game with the 'build' part. And does so in a simple and easy to use, easy to figure out, and easy to enjoy the super-casual results fashion.

I'm glad you are happy with it, but it seems it's just a decor pack that allows people to tell another fake story. Do you remember when Lyndsay posted a pic of an 'office' and a Sim was behind a desk and one or two other Sims were seated on the other side? That was a fake trailer, twitter picture, sneak peak, but so long ago I don't remember which pack. The desk was just a desk. The props in the room were just decor. The Sim really couldn't go to work at an office and play as the boss, and or talk to Sims seated across from them like they were clients etc.

This feels about the same way to me. Take a few snap shots of the Sim is asking another Sim, go in buy mode and replace a few things and viola take another picture and tell a made up story of what happened after you add a few screen shots of their reactions even though there was no required room, or skill for the decorator and or degree to earn in this field and or any requirement to level up....It's another 'imagine' gameplay pack where the player does all the imagining, oh, I imagine they meant the bedroom and or the kitchen and or the patio....and call it a day.

It doesn't even come with an aspiration or even tied into a college course...It's just another slap happy pack that doesn't mean a hill of beans to the Sims (they couldn't care less if they have this job or not) and just another way to take screen shots and tell a fake story. That seems to be par for the course in TS4. Even the doctor career was more in depth than this one and that was seven years ago.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    shailaputriishailaputrii Posts: 64 Member
    no thanks
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    It is an active career, gig based. both live/build mode
    you get a 10 level career with over 50 types of gigs
    it introduces likes/dislikes to this career that causes the client to likes/dislikes what you did
    over 60 create a sim
    over 130 build mode
    so its a decorating career pack, hence its name
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited June 2021
    You can write design related articles once you hit a certain level. You can also sell your before/after pics for cash or sell to publications for cash and fame (individually) with GF installed.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Someone made a post on Reddit about failing a gig at a café lot, and then being charged 50% more to buy stuff from there, so there may be other surprise gameplay elements like that too.
    Post edited by EmmaVane on
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,869 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    Someone made a post on Reddit about failing a gig at a café lot, and then being charged 50% more to buy stuff from there, so there may be other surprise gameplay elements like that too.

Lol, that's awesome. :D
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I recently added a second decorator household to compete against my other one; originally, I was only going to play one decorator in the game but I like to rotate and I really like the changes that I am making in the world. I said this before but if someone wants to play with the theme & career, it is fun. Having incomplete information and gathering different types of information is interesting. There are specific parameters but really, the player is being encouraged to be creative.

My first decorator sim has been invited back to redesign a whole household in blue Cosmolux (like 1960s space age style). I really never would have done that and it looks cool. I was using the same few design styles over and over whenever I would renovate. You can also add more details about a household that you are visiting which does add to ongoing gameplay if you return to those houses. For example, my decorator went to the house of another sim who I had said was a bit spoiled and reliant on a lot of money from her father. She wanted a bedroom renovation and her bedroom was already nicely decorated by me before. I redid it and added details like embroidering a rug with gold which is a feature I did not pay attention to before. Now, that character is even more developed by that redecoration or as I would say, redesign.

I think incorporating skills like charisma and handiness would make sense. I would also like to be able to add more custom decor when decorating spaces because when you've designed 4 rooms in blue Cosmolux style, for example, you sometimes want very unique furnishings.

I do think that getting the briefs and deciding what to do is gameplay. You also get more information as you progress in the career. Sometimes it's not obvious what a client likes. In my case, I think it makes sense to design spaces that you like and would want to play in.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    EmmaVane wrote: »

Lol, that's awesome. :D

It's also likely the reason you get a chance to make up for it with higher reputation. To get the prices back to normal.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member

It is all gameplay.

Sad that you think so. New gameplay to me would be having new traits to play with, a new aspiration to work towards, a new design skill to focus on which would ultimately play a part in the difficulty of the renovation, objects that allowed Sims to help shape their career while out of working hours. I really don’t think turning up to a house, finding out some likes and dislikes really cuts it, because entering build/buy isn’t gameplay, it’s build/buy.

Build buy is also gameplay.
    Build buy is not new game play though we have had it since 2014 it alone does not warrant the cost of a game pack seeing as it came in a game pack as the main game play feature with a couple pie menu options and a cut scene. Pretty sad how a pack about spa's had more thought and game play added to it.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"