Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,767 Member
    edited June 2021
    @Lucy_Henley Yeah, that’s why it sounded odd to me, I couldn't put my finger on it until you mentioned it. It’s not an issue or anything to me though, it was just something that came to mind that's probably more noticeable for an English person. The actual town itself looks cute on the postcard, I’m looking forward to the pack!

On an unrelated note, I've had the first chapter of my new project finished for weeks but I don't plan to upload it until I feel passionate about the project. Like I've got the whole thing planned out now but my heart isn't in it, and if my heart isn't in it I run the risk of it being garbage. Trouble is I'm still on my hype over my magic universe despite the fact I finished the story over two weeks ago, but I'm enjoying reading back through it at least. It's nice to read back through your own work and not think 'What the heck is this mess?' It's also nice to read through people's comments as well, sometimes someone says something that just makes you go /u\ every time you read it.
    Post edited by SnowBnuuy on
    they/them or she/her
  • Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,943 Member
    @SnowBnuuy I’m sure it’ll be great! People are their own worst critics a lot of the time. I suppose that can be a pitfall with plot-driven SimLit, you’re constantly wondering if it’s OK.
    I’ve sometimes thought about doing a Sims version of one of my favourite books/book series, but I’d obviously have to really think about how to adapt it. It’d have to be modernised for one thing.
    edited June 2021
    @Lucy_Henley My obsessions come and go, so once I am done with something I am obsessed with like a project or a game, I feel lost for a while trying to find something else I genuinely enjoy. I sometimes have issues with just randomly stopping enjoying something I am reading or writing etc for no logical reason.

I had a blast writing Untamed and TSAHF so I feel like the new project won’t be as fun. Sometimes I go a long time not being able to enjoy anything properly, and it sucks a lot :| But it is what it is. Thankfully I am enjoying some of the stories I’ve found here that I’m really enjoying at the moment so that’s good at least.

That sounds like a cool idea though!! Modernising it might be the tougher part but it’s a cool idea.
    they/them or she/her
    @SnowBnuuy thanks for the encouragement! It’d definitely be something different for me to do Sims-wise. The series is Anne of Green Gables, which is primarily set in the Victorian era. There’s definitely plenty of Victorian CC out there, but I’d find it difficult to have everyone in the background wear Victorian clothing. But the main reason for modernising would be to do with the education system, as in the series Anne becomes a teacher at sixteen. I wouldn’t include every single thing that happens in the books though.
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    @SnowBnuuy: I have a world system for each save but it depends where I need things to be set. Usually I set Willow Creek in the southern US (and near Twinbrook in TS3) but I've used it as a backdrop for places far away from that. Oasis Springs is also in the US desert until it needs to be Australia, and yet Windenburg is always Germany thanks to lingering influence from some evil person once in my life.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member
    @Lucy_Henley A Sims version of a classic novel sounds really awesome! Getting everyone into cc sounds like a pain, but I always do love seeing stories where everyone is dressed historically.

@SnowBnuuy I feel you with feeling lost after a project. It sucks that you're not clicking with the new project, but it's great that you're doing builds and stuff as well! It might help to go a completely different direction from the stuff you wrote before- I started writing Britechester After Dark because I wanted to write really cliche stuff.
    @BlackUndecimber Nothing wrong with that though, cliches can work and they aren’t always a bad thing like some authors think. I feel like stories that try to subvert too many common tropes don’t work too well, because the entire story becomes about constant subversion and not about the characters or story. Like with any writing tool it all just depends on how it’s done I guess. There are some tropes I despised before some authors made them work in a way I thought was awesome.

Yeah, I wish my emotions were more predictable. I need to wait for my inner TSAHF hype to die down. I might revisit the magic universe at some point, but I don’t know when. Maybe something on the Charms, or one of the other Sages might be cool for a short thing, but IDK.

Also on a random note, BaD actually inspired my current blog layout. Don’t know if I ever said that to you!
    they/them or she/her
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    ThePlumbob wrote: »
    SnowBnuuy wrote: »
    The postcard teaser-looking thing posted in Announcements was interesting, looks like a cute little English countryside town, although Henford-on-Bagley sounds like a slightly ridiculous-sounding attempt at an English town name, if I'm honest : P Feel like just Henford would have sounded nicer. It looks cute though!

Ooh looks intriguing! Would definitely welcome a quaint English town, even though Britechester sort of has that sort vibe already - but worlds that compliment each other are always a good addition in my book! As for the name... well, we got used to San Myshuno being a thing :lol:

i recently got britbox. i love the towns in midsummer murders. so i can't wait to see the town.

Amazingly you're the second person I've heard mention that show today! I do like Midsomer Murders, makes me nostalgic - my mum always watched that when I was younger :)
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    SnowBnuuy wrote: »
    The postcard teaser-looking thing posted in Announcements was interesting, looks like a cute little English countryside town, although Henford-on-Bagley sounds like a slightly ridiculous-sounding attempt at an English town name, if I'm honest : P Feel like just Henford would have sounded nicer. It looks cute though!

Ooh looks intriguing! Would definitely welcome a quaint English town, even though Britechester sort of has that sort vibe already - but worlds that compliment each other are always a good addition in my book! As for the name... well, we got used to San Myshuno being a thing :lol:

I'm sometimes bothered by TS4 worlds that seem to exist in isolation from the rest. Like how Willow Creek, Newcrest, and Magnolia Promenade all feel like neighbors (I'll argue for San Myshuno too thanks to Newcrest's skyline) but I gotta cram everything I need in Oasis Springs into Oasis Springs unless I have to slam the brakes on my narrative and explain why we gotta travel to another country every day (well I still find a way to anyways) Now at least Britechester isn't so isolated.

Yes! I agree completely. I tend to only allow my sims to travel to places they could logistically get to quickly, so the idea of casually hoping between Windenburg, Newcrest and Sulani gives me a migraine (unless I'm positioning it as them going on a holiday or I'm in a save where I can justify it by magic, haha). I tend to group Britechester with Windenburg and Glimmerbrook, but this looks like it will work even better!

i only have the current season the rest are spred between prime and acorn .which is more expensive. britbox 5.99 acorn 6 .99. it would be cheper to move to england. well not really but i assume the same shows are free there. lol.
  • Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,548 Member
    It would all be based on Saxon words. The river would be the Hen so the village is named after the ford on the Hen, hence Henford. Bagley-on-Hen would work.
  • ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    @SnowBnuuy Have you considered just continuing on in your magic universe if your heart's not in the new project? I can definitely relate to what you said about bouncing between activities that you get almost obsessed with for a period of time and then feeling lost in the lull in between until you find the next one - I am exactly the same! Right down to the interest dropping unexpectedly - I don't know how people manage to have consistent hobbies. :smiley: It sounds like you're still invested in your previous project though, so it might be worth not forcing a new one? At least if it were me I'd probably want to continue riding that wave until I lose interest in the project naturally, to make the most of it :)

@InfraGreen I like that you combine TS3 cities and TS4 ones into one world map of sorts! Your approach sounds a bit like mine, I tweak where the world sits based on the primary world I'm using in that save - like when I had a save that was primarily in Mt Komorebi, I used the fashion district in San Myshuno as a nearby city that's connected to Mt Komorebi by a railway system, since that part of SM has a bit of a Japanese flair.
    Windenburg is always Germany thanks to lingering influence from some evil person once in my life.
    Lol! I know what you mean. To be fair I think Windenburg is one of the most mouldable worlds, it's so vaguely non-descript European that it could simultaneously be anywhere and nowhere in Europe.

@friendsfan367 Haha I'm pretty sure you still have to pay for Britbox over here! I think a lot of the shows might be on BBC, but you need to pay for a TV license to watch that, so I guess there's no winning :smiley:
    edited June 2021
    @ThePlumbob Yeah you know how it is. It’s no fun when all seven of your hobbies stop filling the void : ) ) ) Yeah you have a point in that I may as well stick with the same universe. I don’t really have any ideas for a sequel to any of it, but I have a few other families/characters in the universe that I can look at exploring in more detail. BlackU did suggest a sequel to one of them though, haven’t thought of much I can do with one but I’ve kept it in mind. It’s nice that people take interest in my weird little worlds and the weird little people inside them : p

That way it’d be good to have separate stories within the same universe, and not have every single story in that universe lead into the other one at least which is what I was worried about. I think I’ll take a break from SimLit for a while though, and just keep my notes on my current project for another time.

Thanks for everyone’s support and advice BTW, it’s appreciated < 3 And sorry for banging on about it : p
    Post edited by SnowBnuuy on
    they/them or she/her
    I’m OK @DeafSimmer , hope you are too.

I ordered my new PC from a build/configure-your-own website, and for various reasons I ended up buying the monitor and graphics card separately though eBay. They’ve arrived... now to wait for the actual PC! :D
    I can’t wait to have Erytheia and Alexander get married, it’s been a LONG time coming... and then I can get going on Xanthe’s story. Her path to love may not be as simple as it was for Erytheia... that’s all I’m going to say!
    I'm fine thanks...working on the next chapter of Sim 66 and I'm really happy with it so far. It's quite a long one but I really like a lot of the screen caps I got for it as well. Should up up later today or tomorrow.
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    trying for a update tonight but the gardners are back so will see. i'm suprised theres any plants left. not the first time they've been here
    Action is being kept busy in today's chapter: The ballistics report from the attempted shooting is not what he expected and he finds himself as the special guest of Alan Cuffe's Kitten Club...can he keep his concentration? Chapter 108: Just Like Buck Rogers in Sim 66.

https://kelloggjkellogg.blogspot.com/2021/06/chapter-108-just-like-buck-rogers.html

vBrhNZ0.png
    @SnowBnuuy Totally! Cliches exist for a reason right? Some of them I've read a thousand times over, and yet when they drop I go heck yeah every time xD
    Ooh, a story about the Charms sounds cool! It's nice to take a break from the world and the mindset though.
    Haha really? Is it the cityscape? The views in the Sims are just phenomenal!

@DeafSimmer I'm good, how are you?
    Chapter 28 in gen 2 already? :o I must really catch up on the Nightblaze legacy soon! Every time I start my computer I get distracted and end up playing Red Dead Redemption 2 instead... That's why I'm writing so slow too 😂
    @BlackUndecimber I devoted 400 hrs to RDR2 and even did all the 100% completion stuff for it. Really wish they’d bring out singleplayer DLC for it but I doubt they will. The first game is good too IMO. And yeah the cityscape, and the neon sign banner! I’m not too sure on the Charm idea yet, but an idea that’s growing on me is something about the Viridis family. Not sure yet though I’ll have to take some time to think about it.

@DeafSimmer NGL I feel awful, a lot going on ATM, but I liked the new Nightblaze chapter!
    they/them or she/her
    @SnowBnuuy Woah that's awesome! I'd love to play the first one too, unfortunately there's no PC version :/ To be honest, I wasn't really gonna play this one either, in fact I didn't expect to like it, but heck it is fantastic.

@DeafSimmer I'd better read quickly then! Early congrats on finishing Gen 2!
    I don’t really play any other games outside of the Sims franchise, bar Minecraft on my iPad :D My brother is much more of a ‘gamer’ than me, he introduced me to Minecraft as it happens. He’s also pretty techie and helped me configure my PC.

Take all the break you need @DeafSimmer . I admit I am intrigued to see what generation 3 look like and their names, but don’t put pressure on yourself.

That’s a point, names... choosing them can be difficult hahaha. Obviously if you play with premades they already come with names. I sometimes choose a particular theme, eg Greek mythology/Greek names in general for the Mastersons, and then different nationalities for other saves (eg my ‘Sulani save’ which I haven’t touched in months is a combination of English/Japanese/Dutch).
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,210 Member
    Switched back to Box of Chocolates with one new chapter.

1.20 Sunday
    image.png
    @Lucy_Henley I used to have Minecraft but I stopped playing it once I distanced myself from playing online with friends. My single player file was nothing but a hut made of dirt and a whole pen of multicoloured sheep. I play quite a lot of other games. I'm currently between playing TS4 and the Kingdom Hearts series ATM.
    @DeafSimmer Sometimes it's good to take a break to get your ideas and such sorted out. It's also good because I find if you do something without pausing you might start to lose interest in your project (which is what happened when I tried to extend a 3-generation challenge into a full legacy). Excited to see what the kiddos will look like and what will happen next though! I like your name choices, they're all very fitting for a spellcaster lineage as well.

On a general note I'm currently working on building a Vampires-themed house. I realise a lot of my builds have the same general layout so I might start doing some funky modern builds.

As for names (cue ramble!) in a lot of my works I don't always focus too much on names. Some people go by general meaning, but I don't really bother with meaningful names very often. Most of my characters just have random names (whether online generator or in-game) or names that I like. I sometimes go with meaningful names though; in a ditched vet challenge I had Angora Bedlington, after a cat and a dog breed. In my 'magic universe' there's Leo Viridis, which is the name of an alchemical symbol, and in my past works there are some characters who are named in honour of people who have passed in the family. And of course characters from other countries etc. will have names relevant to that (I look into the country's naming customs/conventions if necessary.)
    they/them or she/her

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top