Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Some Likes/Dislikes stuff that need fixing

thatpinkcoconutthatpinkcoconut Posts: 187 Member
edited May 2021 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
The following are some stuff I find irritating and tedious (and lowkey bad UX design) about the new Likes and Dislikes system that I think can easily be fixed by the devs (or even modders).

1. Having to go to CAS to change the preferences. Come on, we have popups everywhere. Why not stick to that? Do you want to get rid of 1 dislike? Too bad, here's 30 seconds of paused gameplay.
2. Popup messages for likes/dislikes suggested by the game for a Sim pause the game and get too distracting, especially on large households. I think we can use the notification system for this since it's just a simple yes or no, and we can just totally ignore it. Mundane gameplay features like this don't have to pause the entire game.
3. Randomizer on CAS rolls only one preference per category? Too meh. I'm deep into gameplay, and I like to see what challenges and opportunities this new system can bring. I suggest 1-2 or 2-3 for this.

That's all. What are your thoughts, guys? If there's something you like to add, feel free to leave them below.

Comments

• Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 436 Member
    edited May 2021
    I want the game to stop asking me to set NPCs' likes and dislikes, especially via pop-up. So distracting and annoying.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Aging a kid up doesn’t make the Likes/Dislikes appear. I didn’t like that. You can’t select them in the same screen as you select their aspiration and traits. Why?
  • BB0990BB0990 Posts: 28 Member
    I want the game to stop asking me to set NPCs' likes and dislikes, especially via pop-up. So distracting and annoying.

Oh, same!!! i was looking forward to likes / dislikes but now i find them incredibly annoying as i like to build up my world with lots of NPC's
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I wish the game automatically set up Likes/ Dislikes for NPCs and townies. That way, they have more depth and personality.

Right now, you have to either go into each household and give them Likes/ Dislikes, or you have to go all over town and ask every sim what their Likes/ Dislikes are so the game will generate them. What a waste of time.

The game should just set up ALL UNPLAYED sims' Likes/ Dislikes when starting the game.
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    edited May 2021
    I've watched Carl's Sim Guides video on likes/dislikes, and it seems like townie likes/dislikes for hobbies are, like, specifically tuned to be JUST video gaming, violin, cooking, fitness, and painting, nothing else.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited May 2021
    Ray_Trace wrote: »
    I've watched Carl's Sim Guides video on likes/dislikes, and it seems like townie likes/dislikes for hobbies are, like, specifically tuned to be JUST video gaming, violin, cooking, fitness, and painting, nothing else.

Yeah, that's just ridiculous. I don't know if the game can't handle sims with more Likes/ Dislikes, but that's really disappointing. I hope they fix that.

....And the fact that you have to go every sim in town and manually ask them what they're Likes/ Dislikes are because the game won't generate them before. How annoying!
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    Really good suggestions, OP, especially number 1.

Gotta post my mod here as it fits the theme:
    http://bienchen83.bplaced.net/s4/mods/sims4me_npcsdontgainpreferences.rar

npsdontgainpreferences mostly stops the popups from coming up for Sims that aren't part of the active household
    gainpreferencepopupsdisables stops the popups completely.

Only install one of the two files.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
    edited May 2021
    I just found out that you if you shift click on any sim in game, you can assign a random simpreference to that Sim in the "sim info cheat" sub menu. It's easier on NPCs than going into CAS for every single one of them.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    edited May 2021
    83bienchen wrote: »
    Really good suggestions, OP, especially number 1.

Gotta post my mod here as it fits the theme:
    http://bienchen83.bplaced.net/s4/mods/sims4me_npcsdontgainpreferences.rar

npsdontgainpreferences mostly stops the popups from coming up for Sims that aren't part of the active household
    gainpreferencepopupsdisables stops the popups completely.

Only install one of the two files.

Thank you so much, the NPC popups have been really intrusive.

I've given all of my sims 'dislikes dancing'. One of them decided to spend their entire evening autonomously ... dancing.. resulting in their fun plummeting to zero. This is my big issue with this system. Why is a sim that hates dancing choosing to do so for hours?
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    It's a poorly thought out system. Likes increases fun, dislikes drains fun. That's about it.

I know it's a step in the right direction but it's always a lame step!
    CelSims wrote: »
    I've given all of my sims 'dislikes dancing'. One of them decided to spend their entire evening autonomously ... dancing.. resulting in their fun plummeting to zero. This is my big issue with this system. Why is a sim that hates dancing choosing to do so for hours?

I've actually been working on a mod that fixes this issue. I'm still busy testing, but if you'd like to try the beta version, you can download it here:
    http://bienchen83.bplaced.net/s4/mods/sims4me_activitypreferencestweak.rar
  • ElizaG2016ElizaG2016 Posts: 35 Member
    So I noticed my fitness-oriented sims are overdoing their routines a bit much with a fitness preference. I ended up taking the gym rat reward trait off, which helped some - was sort of using it in place of likes/dislikes anyway. However, when combined with the energetic lifestyle buffs, they end up endlessly looping pushups/stretching after exercising - and won't stop to go to the bathroom! Fortunately, they do stop to eat. :D I mean, I know I set that they like fitness, but you could try something else, ya know? :|
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    edited May 2021
    83bienchen wrote: »
    CelSims wrote: »

I've actually been working on a mod that fixes this issue. I'm still busy testing, but if you'd like to try the beta version, you can download it here:
    http://bienchen83.bplaced.net/s4/mods/sims4me_activitypreferencestweak.rar

Thank you, I'm downloading that now :) I won't be able to try it out til later though
  • thatpinkcoconutthatpinkcoconut Posts: 187 Member
    Oh, @83bienchen, our @83bienchen. Truly a lifesaver. ❤ Thank you so much.
  • AmeliePoptartAmeliePoptart Posts: 22 Member
    I don’t know if it’s something that needs “fixing” but I’m pretty disappointed that there were certain hobbies left out of the Likes/Dislikes system.

All of the Eco Living hobbies and skills (candle making, fizzy juice or whatever it’s called) + Knitting + Reading were just a few that I was looking forward to using for my Sims.

I can see why Reading wouldn’t be included since we have the Bookworm trait. But by that logic, why would we have a Fitness like/dislike if we have an Athletic trait?

I’ve seen a few people posting across Reddit and Twitter about Knitting/Eco Living hobbies being excluded so I thought I’d post here, and see if anyone has noticed any other overlooked hobbies and skills.
  • AmeliePoptartAmeliePoptart Posts: 22 Member
    Adding to my previous comment: Watching Movies/TV could have been a base game Like/Dislike.

It would tie in with the Lazy trait, or a good counter for Loves Outdoors. Also, it could have put the Movie Hangout pack to some good use.

And for future reference, we could/should have a subcategory for Food/Drinks. This could replace the Vegetarian trait, put all the cultural recipes from City Living into more use, and if people have Get Together they could like/dislike Coffee/cafe food.
  • rachelwolferachelwolfe Posts: 110 Member
    I am also disappointed with the options for decor style likes and dislikes included with the new pack. There are five different ways to say you like modern decor: modern/contemporary/cosmolux/mid-century/suburban contemporary (whatever that is), which take up a lot of slots for sims who I would like to mark as preferring a modern style, but no categories at all for several styles WE HAVE IN THE GAME! Where is the preference for industrial decor? Or how about art deco? Craftsman? Eastern traditional? I mean, we just got an entire pack about that last one. Please, sim gurus, if you are reading this forum, go back and create categories for all the styles your furniture art team has developed in the past, both as bb tags and as likes/dislikes. Under the current system, the interior decorator career encourages the player to simply makeover the entire world in the contemporary styles that came with the pack, which is actually antithetical to the artistry of interior decoration as a careful selection process from a variety of unique styles for what suits each home best. Unless you collapse modern back into the one category it should be and replace its redundancies with the other decor styles that exist in game but have been sidelined by the pack, half the beautiful furniture your art team has made will languish, forgotten, unasked-for, and untagged, in the bb catalogue while the worlds get ever more uniform and bland.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,936 Member
    Ah. One issue to share.

If you create a sim through story, you can't assign them likes and dislikes in CAS (just like with traits and aspirations).
  • SuperCoolRachaelSuperCoolRachael Posts: 392 Member
    I think it's kind of annoying that "Hobbies" are directly related to skill building. It's ridiculous that reading can't be a Like/Dislike just because it's doesn't build skills. Just one more part of this game that is brilliant in concept and underwhelming in execution.
  • Ronalda85367Ronalda85367 Posts: 1 New Member
    I hate that rugs are now movable in game. Every time I try to move the screen if I am unfortunate enough to have clicked on the rug there it is getting moved...when did this show up? not a great idea in my opinion.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I just want them to add all the base game and pack activities as likes / dislikes. There seems to be little logic as to why some were added but not others (like robotics yes, knitting no - also why can't my Sims like cleaning...?!).
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    I just want them to add all the base game and pack activities as likes / dislikes. There seems to be little logic as to why some were added but not others (like robotics yes, knitting no - also why can't my Sims like cleaning...?!).

Yes cleaning needs to be added. Neat Sims like to clean! I’m glad you posted that. 😎👍

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Aging a kid up doesn’t make the Likes/Dislikes appear. I didn’t like that. You can’t select them in the same screen as you select their aspiration and traits. Why?

I didn't notice this, but I haven't gotten that far yet. Hope they fix this.

I don't have the issues others/OP are talking about or they don't matter to me. What does matter is:

1. I want the likes questions of color/hobbies/music to stay on the menu 24/7 regardless of relationship. Once I go to the place to decorate, If I don't ask the color question or it gets dropped :(:/:'(:# then sometimes, it never shows back up. I've noticed this several times. Sometimes, I have to get half a friendship bar to get the color question. It shouldn't be that way. These should be as easy as how was your day. They need to be stuck to the friendship menu.
    2. Once I ask the color/hobby/music question, I want it to be added to their pic in the relationship panel. I can't keep up with that and shouldn't have to ask more times if I forget.
    3. Add favorite foods to the likes dislikes.

• PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    I mostly like the likes/dislikes system as it is. The notifications were not too frequent in my game, and they were all about sims I’m interested in. But... I got a notification suggesting that a mermaid with the Child of the Ocean trait should like fishing. That trait normally makes sims react negatively to fishing. I don’t think sims should spontaneously acquire likes or dislikes that contradict their traits!
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    I think once you find out a like/dislike that it should go in the Sims they know panel with their picture. That way you know them and don't have to keep track of it.