Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Palia: Could This Be A Competitor For The Sims 5?

Comments

• Kajsa_liisaKajsa_liisa Posts: 24 Member
    Wow! Sounds amazing.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I don't think so. This could exist together with other life simulators but it's very fantasy, farming etc. Doesn't feel similar enough to the Sims to actually "steal" customers away from it.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,339 Member
    It looks okay, a game in the spirit of Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, Story of Seasons, Stardew Valley and My time at Portia.

But what makes The Sims unique is that I don't have to explore their world and befriend their villagers. In The Sims I can create my own world, watch my own sims interact, make them feud or marry all my 150 sims into the same family tree if I want to.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    MMO? No thank you!
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I don't see it being a replacement at all but it's really cute looking, too cute really to replace the sims for me... along with too restrictive as @EnkiSchmidt said.
    It says "Fun alone, but better together"... so wondering if that means there is a single player element or even that you can log in but still do alright playing alone?
    Will be interested in knowing the price point. I got a little game called Raft some time back and play it very now and then, have even played it with a friend. The graphics kind of remind me of that style but more involved. If it's not too expensive I'd give it a try or it will be wait for a sale kind of purchase.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Looks super cute!

While I don't see it as ever becoming a replacement nor competition for The Sims, I think that it would give players another option of a different type of simulation/farming type game. The overall look of the game appeals to me more than Animal Crossing simply because the characters are not animals nor childish looking little people.

I would check it out ONLY if it could be played in single player mode and still get the full experience. Just like with The Sims, or any other Life Sim, I'm personally not interested in playing or socializing with other people, that's what RL is for. I spent way too many years dealing with interruptions when trying to build/create and/or trolling from people in Second Life to ever want to ever go back to that.

Gaming for me is an escape to forget about RL for a few hours and to get away from people!
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    It has those 3 bad letters: MMO. Nein Danke!
  • EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    Just a couple of hours after news of this rolled off the presses and hit the gaming world, I was signing up for it.

It reminds me a great deal of Free Realms, which is a game that I thoroughly enjoyed. I have no problem turning off chat in games and making my guild name some version of "Go Away And Leave Me Alone" - I've been doing it for years, so I'm not worried about that. It's got devs with real experience doing quality work on games, and that pretty much never happens anymore. So a game like this is something to pay attention to in my book.

I've had a few games cross my radar over the years, but none of them ever got me truly excited like this one. This one, I'll be watching with serious interest to see what they have to deliver. I didn't think a game could even get my hopes up again anymore, but this one has.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    No one could ever replace my sims!!😭😭😭 NO ONE😭😭😭
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    Actually, I would love that world to be in Sims 4.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    edited June 2021
    I think I'll wait a bit. That was just a trailer and we cannot trust trailers, us Simmers, can we?
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

It kind of reminds me of an online version of "My Time at Portia", which I love, but I just found myself wishing it was offline so I could try it! I really don't want to play with anyone else in this game.

• OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Actually, I would love that world to be in Sims 4.

Really. Very pretty and woodsy with lots of animals & birds. Looks like the large world of an MMO though, not easily fitted into TS4 - 3 is another matter. If the trailer is even close to the reality of what they are aiming for, I'm not certain EA could pull it off successfully. Art style reminded me of Paralives. Still, worth keeping an eye on by those who like online.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited June 2021
    The MMO part turns me off immediately. Feels less life sim and more social sim or narrative game. Which, is at odds with the Sims with certain fantasy elements, narrative, etc. The only real similarity I see is houses.

I'd put this in the trying-to-be-a-PC-Animal-Crossing category instead, kind of like Hokko Life, just based on the description. It looks like it could be fun, but too far away from the niche to be a real competitor.
  • TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    No not if it's an MMO. The charm in sims for me is getting away from other people 😂

It does look cute though.
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    It looks cute and it's something I wouldn't mind trying it if only it weren't MMO. I'd love to see more life simulators, similar to The Sims, come along so I can have more options.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited June 2021
    I signed up for the alpha on the first day.

I used to play RuneScape for years and always enjoyed the non-combat gathering/craft skills, some PVE, quests and lore more than the PVP and boss parts of the game. This is right up my alley for an MMO.

However, it's definitely not a sandbox on the same level as/that would rival The Sims. The only playable race/culture are humans and I'm sure there are limits to where and what you can build.

It's something I personally would like, but due more to playing RPG games and farming sims, than to playing life simulators.
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    I mean the online features are part of why people DON'T want The Sims 5, so I'm not sure an MMO is exactly "competition" for The Sims so much as doing exactly the thing people don't want in a Sims game.
    wJbomAo.png