Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Stairs again...

13...Next

Comments

• AmeliaToddAmeliaTodd Posts: 226 Member
    Yes, I also tried this method and it didn't work. Also there is a way to delete the invisible ceiling if you aim right and option will pop up, but doing that and deleting the ceiling from the bottom room doesn't helps at all.

I have this staircase, the house was build ages ago before platforms were a thing and it still functions, but this is the only staircase that functions.

0r7nIdY.png

3anTBlu.jpg

They seriously need to fix this bug. Especially now with DHD out.
  • DeanXeLDeanXeL Posts: 289 Member
    @AmeliaTodd
    If the entire method does not work for you, I'm guessing either you are missing something (did you put the platform over the ENTIRE staircase and made sure not to remove it again when editing the open space?) or you are using mods that influence build mode?

The reason removing the ceiling doesn't work for you is because the entire method of 'making the ceiling appear and then sledgehammering it' does NOT hinge on removing the ceiling, but on exploding your loft by removing one of the fences. The removing of the ceiling is just a cosmetic fix applied after, to still have the 'open' loft. Since you avoid exploding your loft by clicking and removing the ceiling, this does not work for you.

@SailorCeti
    Do any of these match what you had in mind? These all work for me.
    cfN0rvV.png
    @DeanXeL I don't use any sort of mods, I'll check the steps again to see if I missed anything.
    @AmeliaTodd be sure to check the video in case you haven't yet, it should be easier to replicate :)
  • SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    DeanXeL wrote: »
    @AmeliaTodd
    If the entire method does not work for you, I'm guessing either you are missing something (did you put the platform over the ENTIRE staircase and made sure not to remove it again when editing the open space?) or you are using mods that influence build mode?

The reason removing the ceiling doesn't work for you is because the entire method of 'making the ceiling appear and then sledgehammering it' does NOT hinge on removing the ceiling, but on exploding your loft by removing one of the fences. The removing of the ceiling is just a cosmetic fix applied after, to still have the 'open' loft. Since you avoid exploding your loft by clicking and removing the ceiling, this does not work for you.

@SailorCeti
    Do any of these match what you had in mind? These all work for me.
    cfN0rvV.png

The middle one, although my stairs are against a wall.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
    @SailorCeti

Oh with a wall! Yeah, by trying this I actually quite fast bumped into the problem you described... However, this also can be "worked around"
    I made you a new video though, it is not easy to do with pictures as I have clearly noticed before...

https://youtu.be/AQOXpNIWljk
    @SailorCeti

Oh with a wall! Yeah, by trying this I actually quite fast bumped into the problem you described... However, this also can be "worked around"
    I made you a new video though, it is not easy to do with pictures as I have clearly noticed before...

https://youtu.be/AQOXpNIWljk

Thanks. I’ll take a look and try it out when I get a chance and let you know if I got it working.

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
    edited June 2021
    @SailorCeti

(Video removed for brevity.)

I got it working! Thank you so much for this solution. And by the way, I'm a guy. =)

I think, though, that nobody should have to jump through this much to make open balconies, especially when it didn't use to be so tricky. The fact that it took three pages of posts and a lot of effort on your part, to explain things, just highlights how big of a problem it is. They really should fix this. I hope somebody bring your videos to EA's attention so they can see just how many steps are now needed for this.

@SailorCeti yeah sorry about the guy/girl thing, the name and avatar both didn't say much :D good to know!

I agree, they definitely should fix this and I also did try to send the developers a message with the pertinent information I gathered while looking for a solution. In short, I think they messed something up in the definition of floor/ceiling and the manual removal of it when implementing platforms...
    Until they come with a fix, I am however happy to provide (even if it is just some) people with a means of continuing to build what they have in mind with as little compromise as possible :)

@DeanXeL, I'm happy to say that the trick with the platform worked! Thank you so much, I can finally play in all my households! :)