Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

$30 CAD for Dream Home Decorator?!

Comments

• Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited June 2021
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    To people talking about exchange rates:

Dream Home Decorator is $5 more than the rest of the Game Packs (with the exception of Journey to Batuu).

If ALL game packs jumped in price to $30 CAD, then that would explain it; but it's the fact that DHD is more expensive that is strange.

It would be like if Paranormal Stuff Pack came out more expensive than the other Stuff Packs.

What is it about DHD that makes it cost more than the rest of the Game Packs?

Thank you! If I remember correctly, even Moschino Stuff cost $1 more or something. Again, I just assumed it was because of the collaboration.

And it's true too that if it was from the exchange rate or some other major factor, it would increase all pack prices.

No, Moschino Stuff is $12.99 like every other stuff pack.

Edit: To prove that the taxes aren't part of the $30
    CffOxz1.jpg

So…what I am saying is maybe Canada charges EA a tax/tariff/fee to import the game into the country that EA then tacks on to the purchase price, that you see before you pay your local taxes and fees. Because right or wrong, EA is not going to eat the that money they’re going to recoup it by charging it on to the consumer and a lot of this started when a certain orange nasty politician decided to spark a trade war with most of the countries on earth.

So that would be $19.99 USD = $24.19 CAD + $5.80 CAD fee that maybe EA has to pay per download in Canada = $29.99 CAD pre local Canadian taxes.
  • Diana_Diana_ Posts: 1 New Member
    So yesterday I spoke with someone at the EA help desk and this is what they told me:

"I just got an update from my team and would like to inform you that price for EA games are region specific. However I'm going to take this as a feedback and would share it with our dedicated team for investigation, but you won't get any reply/ revert on it, sounds good?"

Also want to clarify since there seems to be a lot of confusion in the comments, but the 5$ price increase started with J2B and as affected all game packs since (so only J2B and DHD). If you go back to the previous game packs you can see they kept their old price of $25.

Expansion packs and Stuff packs also aren't affected. Snowy Escape and Paranormal came out after J2B and their prices match up with the rest of the EPs and SPs.
  • sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    edited June 2021
    If a lot of purchasers outside of the U.S. are saying the price of this pack is different, and many are then it only stands to reason that the common factor is currency exchange coupled with taxes/tariffs/fees. It could be that previous pack prices are not affected by the current exchange rate that their prices are frozen at the rate they were initially offered at.

I don't understand why you keep going back to the exchange rate. The exchange rate is better now than it's been in a long time... If anything because of it, the packs should be cheaper.

And again, it would affect more than just two packs. The same goes for taxes/tariffs/fees, that would impact all packs and not just Sims titles. As it stands now, they increased the prices of Game Packs without any explanation.

It's suspicious that they did it with JTB because I'm sure everyone just suspected it cost more because of the Stat Wars branding. It's almost like they used that pack to increase the price and just hope people wouldn't question it the next time they release a Game Pack at that price. It's shady.

The worst part about this is if Sims players in the U.S. woke up to find DHD cost $24.99 USD, these forums would probably be set ablaze with angry players.
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member

Dream Home Decorator is $5 more than the rest of the Game Packs (with the exception of Journey to Batuu).

If ALL game packs jumped in price to $30 CAD, then that would explain it; but it's the fact that DHD is more expensive that is strange.

It would be like if Paranormal Stuff Pack came out more expensive than the other Stuff Packs.

Thank you! If I remember correctly, even Moschino Stuff cost $1 more or something. Again, I just assumed it was because of the collaboration.

And it's true too that if it was from the exchange rate or some other major factor, it would increase all pack prices.

CffOxz1.jpg

So…what I am saying is maybe Canada charges EA a tax/tariff/fee to import the game into the country that EA then tacks on to the purchase price, that you see before you pay your local taxes and fees. Because right or wrong, EA is not going to eat the that money they’re going to recoup it by charging it on to the consumer and a lot of this started when a certain orange nasty politician decided to spark a trade war with most of the countries on earth.

So that would be $19.99 USD = $24.19 CAD + $5.80 CAD fee that maybe EA has to pay per download in Canada = $29.99 CAD pre local Canadian taxes.

You’re just making stuff up now. Do you really think something like this would get passed without massive corporate backlash? I’ve gotten two emails about Netflix having to add GST to my bill, there’s no way we wouldn’t have heard about a fee that huge being added to digital purchases!
    edited June 2021

CffOxz1.jpg

You’re just making stuff up now. Do you really think something like this would get passed without massive corporate backlash? I’ve gotten two emails about Netflix having to add GST to my bill, there’s no way we wouldn’t have heard about a fee that huge being added to digital purchases!

No I’m not making stuff up. There was a tariff war sparked the previous 4 years between the US & Canada, and I don’t think those tariffs have actually been repealed yet. I am not clear if they were applied to digital content but it wouldn’t surprise me in the least. Also as I said before, purchasers from other countries say prices are different for them too, so it stands to reason that the underlying factor is at the very least currency exchange rates combined with other fees, and if EA does have to pay a fee to import the game into a country the will charge it forward. It’s not at all an outlandish supposition.

If you want to know for sure what’s going on call EA customer service and ask them why the pricing discrepancy.
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,175 Member
    edited June 2021
    In Canada I have shopped online for purchases US side and there has never in my lifetime been a "luxury" tax.
    Certainly never with EA. This is recent and no word about it has been mentioned previous. Like others I thought JTB was different because of license. I'll check with support and if I get an answer will post it.

Update: Well that went as expected. They said they only use exchange rate. When i said it was wrong I got the quoted message back.
    I will surely share this with the team so that they can have an eye on this and make all the necessary changes in the account.

My guess is with the border closed they are charging to "virtually" send the game to us up here? Ha ha
    Post edited by Bluegayle on
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion

CffOxz1.jpg

No I’m not making stuff up. There was a tariff war sparked the previous 4 years between the US & Canada, and I don’t think those tariffs have actually been repealed yet. I am not clear if they were applied to digital content but it wouldn’t surprise me in the least. Also as I said before, purchasers from other countries say prices are different for them too, so it stands to reason that the underlying factor is at the very least currency exchange rates combined with other fees, and if EA does have to pay a fee to import the game into a country the will charge it forward. It’s not at all an outlandish supposition.

If you want to know for sure what’s going on call EA customer service and ask them why the pricing discrepancy.

I am well aware of the last four years, thanks. I’m saying that the tariff on digital purchases isn’t something that exists because there absolutely would have been news about it like there was for things like wood and aluminum.

Also somebody above already contacted them and they didn’t mention anything like that, so I’m not going to waste a customer service agent’s time.
  • verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
    The other thing I have notice is that the gamepack doesn't seem to be available at places like Best Buy or EB games - even CDKeys has it for almost 30 dollars.
    I have bought Expansion pack and gamepacks cheaper elsewhere before but can't seem to find this time
    EA ID burnished_dragon
    Bluegayle wrote: »
    Update: Well that went as expected. They said they only use exchange rate. When i said it was wrong I got the quoted message back.
    I will surely share this with the team so that they can have an eye on this and make all the necessary changes in the account.

I didn't both with EA Customer Service because they would have no clue why that is. That and anytime I've contacted them I've never gotten proper answers...
    verlainem wrote: »
    The other thing I have notice is that the gamepack doesn't seem to be available at places like Best Buy or EB games - even CDKeys has it for almost 30 dollars.
    I have bought Expansion pack and gamepacks cheaper elsewhere before but can't seem to find this time

I usually can't find other packs at EB Games aside from Expansions. I got a pack from Caskets once and even thought it said it works in Canada it never redeemed. I did get a refund but I won't buy from them again.

I usually can't find other packs at EB Games aside from Expansions. I got a pack from Caskets once and even thought it said it works in Canada it never redeemed. I did get a refund but I won't buy from them again.

Hopefully a summer sale - but seeing the reviews and reading about the pack, I don't think I'll be missing much until I get it
    EA ID burnished_dragon

Hopefully a summer sale - but seeing the reviews and reading about the pack, I don't think I'll be missing much until I get it

That's how I feel. I'm not looking to mess up my game for a few nice build/buy items.
  • muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    edited June 2021

CffOxz1.jpg

Is this what you're referring to?
    https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/canada-could-face-u-s-tariff-retaliation-over-proposed-tax-on-digital-services

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/canada-to-start-collecting-digital-tax-from-u-s-tech-giants-4169169/

@Pamtastic72
    ..... Good News. Maybe you're not crazy after all. But lets not jump to conclusions lol.
  • SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    In Poland, this game pack originally costs 89,90 PLN = ~24,50 USD / 29,50 CAD. So we know your pain :D
  • susannesimssusannesims Posts: 128 Member
    Sthenastia wrote: »
    In Poland, this game pack originally costs 89,90 PLN = ~24,50 USD / 29,50 CAD. So we know your pain :D

Same in Norway its 199kr (NOK) which is 24 usd :/
    muzickmage wrote: »

CffOxz1.jpg

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/canada-could-face-u-s-tariff-retaliation-over-proposed-tax-on-digital-services

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/canada-to-start-collecting-digital-tax-from-u-s-tech-giants-4169169/

@Pamtastic72
    ..... Good News. Maybe you're not crazy after all. But lets not jump to conclusions lol.

I knew I wasn’t. It started with lumber & aluminum coming here from Canada and then quickly escalated to so many more things, and then Canada rightly in my opinion, retaliated with their own tariffs on our goods going there and tariffs are always paid by consumers not governments. The extra cost of tariffs that companies have to pay to ship their products is always added into the price of the goods in the receiving country to offset the cost to the company. That’s what I was trying to explain and a lot of those tariffs back and forth were as much as 25% and the reason I don’t think anyone has repealed them yet is because the same way Canada is apparently paying a lot more for video games from America the price of lumber down here is astronomical right now. Some timber is literally selling for over $100.00 USD per board.

CffOxz1.jpg

@Pamtastic72

I knew I wasn’t. It started with lumber & aluminum coming here from Canada and then quickly escalated to so many more things, and then Canada rightly in my opinion, retaliated with their own tariffs on our goods going there and tariffs are always paid by consumers not governments. The extra cost of tariffs that companies have to pay to ship their products is always added into the price of the goods in the receiving country to offset the cost to the company. That’s what I was trying to explain and a lot of those tariffs back and forth were as much as 25% and the reason I don’t think anyone has repealed them yet is because the same way Canada is apparently paying a lot more for video games from America the price of lumber down here is astronomical right now. Some timber is literally selling for over $100.00 USD per board.

How would the 3% of local revenues of a tax that hasn’t even been implemented yet somehow be $5.80 like you’re implying? It’s not like this is retroactive. I guarantee that when this tax goes into action it’ll be a thing calculated at checkout alongside the provincial sales taxes. And this doesn’t explain why prices are going up by similar amounts in other countries without this incoming tax.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member

I use to buy packs in instant gaming for a reduced price even at release. DHD is not available. Maybe they want the monopoly of sales...? Kits + "small" packs only at full price = seems like the ride for money has become serious... i don't foresee any good in the next "many many years" of sims 4...
    edited June 2021

CffOxz1.jpg

@Pamtastic72

How would the 3% of local revenues of a tax that hasn’t even been implemented yet somehow be $5.80 like you’re implying? It’s not like this is retroactive. I guarantee that when this tax goes into action it’ll be a thing calculated at checkout alongside the provincial sales taxes. And this doesn’t explain why prices are going up by similar amounts in other countries without this incoming tax.

I am not talking about your local taxes! I am talking about tariffs which are completely different. Tariffs are charged by governments on companies importing goods. In this case Canada is charging EA a fee to import the game into your country. EA is recouping that fee by adding it to the price of the game upfront, then you have to count for the currency exchange rate which as I have said ad nauseum now is $19.99 USD = $24.19 CAD meaning the game starts out more expensive in Canada right now before tariffs added, then EA is charging those tariffs back to you the consumer at apparently $5.00 CAD or so per purchase of the dlc.Thus your game in Canada right now is $29.99 CAD before any regional or sales taxes are applied.

The prices are increasing in other countries for the exact same reasons. Currency exchange rates + tariffs on EA + regional and sales taxes.

So it goes like this.

DLC US Price adjusted for currency exchange rate + Tariffs = purchase price for consumer.

Purchase price for consumer as seen above + regional and/or sales taxes = final purchase price.

In Canada’s case this appears to be $24.19 CAD dlc price adjusted for currency exchange rate + about $5.80 to recover the cost of tariffs charged by the Canadian government for a consumer purchase price of $29.99 CAD before Local and sales taxes are applied at checkout.

CffOxz1.jpg

@Pamtastic72

I am not talking about your local taxes! I am talking about tariffs which are completely different. Tariffs are charged by governments on companies importing goods. In this case Canada is charging EA a fee to import the game into your country. EA is recouping that fee by adding it to the price of the game, then you have to count for the currency exchange rate which as I have said ad nauseum now is $19.99 USD = $24.19 CAD meaning the game starts out more expensive in Canada right now before tariffs added, then EA is charging those tariffs back to you the consumer at apparently $5.00 CAD or so per purchase of the dlc.Thus your game in Canada right now is $29.99 CAD before any regional or sales taxes are applied.

Did you even read the second article?
    Canada is set to start collecting a new 3 percent “digital services tax” on foreign tech platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime and Spotify from Jan. 2, 2022.

As in they haven’t actually implemented that tax, and the retaliatory tariffs are even more hypothetical at this point. Are you really saying that they added another $5 to the price of one pack because they’re going to have to start paying a 3% tax on their Canadian profits next year?
    edited June 2021
    So EA jumped the gun?

Foreign platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime and Spotify will contribute 3 percent of their local revenues via a "digital services tax," starting on Jan. 1, 2022. That is according to one of the articles linked by @muzickmage. This doesn't say game developers or companies like EA, but then I have not read the legislation, so it could, the media is as usual only reporting part of it. Then the other article says that the US is going to impose there own tariffs on stuff going into Canada and that could be why the jump.

Honestly - the game is not worth it in game play anymore. Modders do a better job of items and game play.
    EA ID burnished_dragon
    edited June 2021

CffOxz1.jpg

@Pamtastic72

I am not talking about your local taxes! I am talking about tariffs which are completely different. Tariffs are charged by governments on companies importing goods. In this case Canada is charging EA a fee to import the game into your country. EA is recouping that fee by adding it to the price of the game, then you have to count for the currency exchange rate which as I have said ad nauseum now is $19.99 USD = $24.19 CAD meaning the game starts out more expensive in Canada right now before tariffs added, then EA is charging those tariffs back to you the consumer at apparently $5.00 CAD or so per purchase of the dlc.Thus your game in Canada right now is $29.99 CAD before any regional or sales taxes are applied.

Canada is set to start collecting a new 3 percent “digital services tax” on foreign tech platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime and Spotify from Jan. 2, 2022.

As in they haven’t actually implemented that tax, and the retaliatory tariffs are even more hypothetical at this point. Are you really saying that they added another $5 to the price of one pack because they’re going to have to start paying a 3% tax on their Canadian profits next year?

Yes, those retaliatory tariffs placed by your government were as high as 25% on some goods, and Vice versa here! That’s why as I said we are paying in some cases over $100.00 USD for one piece of certain types of lumber imported from your country right now.

As for the additional 3% next year I don’t know if they’re collecting for that now or if that’s something you will pay at checkout but the tariffs from the previous administration’s trade war as far as I know have not yet been repealed.

CffOxz1.jpg

@Pamtastic72

Yes, those retaliatory tariffs placed by your government were as high as 25% on some goods, and Vice versa here! That’s why as I said we are paying in some cases over $100.00 USD for one piece of certain types of lumber imported from your country right now.

As for the additional 3% next year I don’t know if they’re collecting for that now or if that’s something you will pay at checkout but the tariffs from the previous administration’s trade war as far as I know have not yet been repealed.

...You do realize there’s a lumber shortage going on right now, right? There’s been a boom in construction, and the whole “being stuck at home” thing has made a lot of people finally do those home improvement projects. Home Depot has put a purchase limit on pressure treated lumber like it’s Pokémon cards! The articles linked were about tariffs that might happen for a new tax, not ones that are happening now! And again, people have contacted EA support about this and if this was the case the agents would know about it like they did when prices went up last time.

It’s way more likely that EA just saw that people here were willing to pay the extra $5 for JtB and decided they wanted the extra money. Have you seen how many micro transactions are in some of their other games? And it doesn’t matter if the gurus would like that or not, because there’s no way they get consulted on pricing.
    edited June 2021

CffOxz1.jpg

@Pamtastic72

...You do realize there’s a lumber shortage going on right now, right? There’s been a boom in construction, and the whole “being stuck at home” thing has made a lot of people finally do those home improvement projects. Home Depot has put a purchase limit on pressure treated lumber like it’s Pokémon cards! The articles linked were about tariffs that might happen for a new tax, not ones that are happening now! And again, people have contacted EA support about this and if this was the case the agents would know about it like they did when prices went up last time.

It’s way more likely that EA just saw that people here were willing to pay the extra $5 for JtB and decided they wanted the extra money. Have you seen how many micro transactions are in some of their other games? And it doesn’t matter if the gurus would like that or not, because there’s no way they get consulted on pricing.

It makes no financial sense for EA to gouge customers in international markets because any given game is only going to garner so big an audience in the US alone. It’s like I explained here, except you may not have seen it in the post because I was editing as you were posting:

So it goes like this.

DLC US Price adjusted for currency exchange rate + Tariffs = purchase price for consumer.

Purchase price for consumer as seen above + regional and/or sales taxes = final purchase price.

In Canada’s case this appears to be $24.19 CAD dlc price adjusted for currency exchange rate + about $5.80 (which lines up with what I said about some tariffs being up to 25%) to recover the cost of tariffs charged by the Canadian government for a consumer purchase price of $29.99 CAD before Local and sales taxes are applied at checkout.

• BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,175 Member
    I'm not seeing anything that says its implemented yet? . They can't add on a tariff before its passed? If they are doing it before then they have just lost a customer of long standing. Do you have anything current shows it has already been implemented? And not lumber but actual digital products?

Lumber has become so expensive here people (bad) are actually stealing households fence planks. 😒
    @Pamtastic72
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion