Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Home Decorator Negativity thread

Comments

• OutlawWomanOutlawWoman Posts: 156 Member
    muzickmage wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    One career for more money when TS3 has this in an EP (Ambitions) with many different hands on careers. Sigh. TS4 should be called the piecemeal game.

Five hands on careers. A freelance career with goals and promotions as well for various skills. A new non-active career and changes to an existing one. Bake sales for children. The ability to buy businesses and venues. A new town. A consignment shop, a fire station, junkyard, and a laundry mat. New skills with new skill rewards. A bunch of new lifetime wishes and new lifetime rewards. New traits. A new death type. Motorcycles.

Honestly, you cannot compare the two. It reminds me of the differences between Jungle Adventure and World Adventures. I know they're gamepacks instead of EPs, but bleh. Why Maxis? Why?

Edit: A lot of people complained about the rabbit holes in Sims 3, but with EPs, you could build grocery stores, book stores, food courts, etc. Most of that came with World Adventures, but other EPs added more registers. It is actually a very flexible and quite cool system.

So, just bought the TS3 starter bundle today. Same $20 I WOULD have spent on DHD if they had maybe even tried. :lol: So far, so good thanks to @Naus and his awesome Reddit guide.

I'll still play TS4 sometimes, but yeah, seems like TS3 just has more to offer. I think I'll just be spending my money here.

Just out of curiosity here, what are the price tags on your Sims' 3 packs? Or rather, do you have different price tags?

For me the prices of packs are listed the same for all packs....

World Packs: $19.99 (CAD)
    Expansion Packs: $19.99 (CAD)
    Stuff Packs: $19.99 (CAD)

Is this normal? lol. Do Sim 3 Stuff Packs cost the same as EPs and World Packs now? When I saw the World Packs listed as $19.99 I thought wow, the Stuff Packs should be pretty cheap to buy maybe. But nope. They're 20 bucks too. lol. Seriously?

Is it the same type of pricing for you as well?

Sorry, to get off topic, but I want to answer the question. :lol: Yes, it looks like it, muzickmage.

From Origin, I bought "The Sims 3 Starter Pack" for $19.99, It came with the Base Game, Late Night, High-End Loft Stuff, and 2,500 SimPoints. (It didn't say it included points, but I got them. And that's enough for a standard World on the Sims 3 Store)

Origin also has "The Sims 3 Expansion Bundle" which includes World Adventures and Generations, for $19.99. That also seems to be a pretty good deal. At least don't buy either of those Expansions individually if you need both.

Also there is a "Worlds Bundle" on Origin which includes both Hidden Springs and Monte Vista, for $19.99. So yeah, don't buy THOSE individually either.

Otherwise, yes, everything looks like it's $19.99.

Eh, they DO offer the Gold Editions of Roaring Heights and Dragon Valley for $34.99. To see what that means, visit the Sims 3 Store, it's WAY more clear than Origin.

And yeah, taking a quick scroll through Steam, looks like the prices there are the same. Anyway, I understand that it's good to wait for sales on Origin and Steam for TS3 expansions anyway, I've read that sales are far more rare for TS3, but if you keep your eye out, you can get really good deals.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited June 2021
    Apparently asking a sim (that's not in your household) about their likes/dislikes (like their favorite color) will crash the sim profile system and will throw Last UI Exceptions error messages. https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Sim-Profile-not-opening-after-Learning-Dis-Likes-LUIE/td-p/10376525

If you don't have the pack, then I guess you can just avoid asking sims about their likes/dislikes. But if you do have this pack then you have no choice because you are supposed to ask your clients.
  • YautjagirlYautjagirl Posts: 351 Member
    edited June 2021
    I don't have this bug, I started to play DHD yesterday and asked clients about their likes and everything is fine, TBH I didn't experience any of the bugs that are supposed to come with this pack. I have tons of mods and everything works well.
  • muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    @OutlawWoman
    ..... Thanks for the info. Especially on the packaged deals. I'll be checking more on those for sure. I still find the pricing of the packs a bit strange, but, what can you do right? lol

Anyway, moving on here.....

@logion
    ..... Thats one messed up bug. I haven't checked the bug list for this pack yet, but i'm going to see about tracking it down to see what else is going on. I haven't bought the DHD pack because of pricing vs content. I'm thinking now I should add the bug issues on that list as another reason to just walk away from the GP and forget it exists.
    edited June 2021
    Yautjagirl wrote: »
    I don't have this bug, I started to play DHD yesterday and asked clients about their likes and everything is fine, TBH I didn't experience any of the bugs that are supposed to come with this pack. I have tons of mods and everything works well.

You don't have this bug because you have the pack installed. @logion explained in his post that the bug occurs when you don't have the pack.
    logion wrote: »
    Apparently asking a sim (that's not in your household) about their likes/dislikes (like their favorite color) will crash the sim profile system and will throw Last UI Exceptions error messages. https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Sim-Profile-not-opening-after-Learning-Dis-Likes-LUIE/td-p/10376525

If you don't have the pack, then I guess you can just avoid asking sims about their likes/dislikes. But if you do have this pack then you have no choice because you are supposed to ask your clients.

(edit)
    .... Actually, now that I think about it, I can interpret @logion post 2 different ways, so not sure now if my reply here is correct.
    edited June 2021
    There doesn't seem to be a bug list for Dream Home Decorator yet. All i've found are the packs before it.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/READ-FIRST-Compiled-list-of-reported-Issues/td-p/3445209
    Listing #2

The last (most recent) GP listed is Star Wars (Journey To Batuu)
    Listing #8
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Not everyone experiences the same bugs. It, among other things, depends on which packs are colliding and if you have those packs installed...
  • KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    texxx78 wrote: »
    Not everyone experiences the same bugs. It, among other things, depends on which packs are colliding and if you have those packs installed...

There's an interesting irony: the more packs you have, the more money you've invested in the game, the greater the likelihood of trouble. Great!
    edited June 2021

True. But it would stand to reason that the more packs we own, the better chance we'll experience all the bugs.

If person 1 expriences a bug with packs "a" and "b", and person 2 experiences bugs with packs "c" and "d'', and I have packs "a", "b", "c", and "d", I should likely experience the same bugs as person 1 and 2, plus some new ones because of my having all 4 of those packs mixed together, and not just a combination of 2.

That's in theory of course, but it sounds a bit reasonable.

Its almost better to have less packs lol. Buying all the packs under this theory puts us in the ballpark of being our own worst enemy lol.

Edit:
    @Kironide ..... I was typing it as you were posting it lol.

True. But it would stand to reason that the more packs we own, the better chance we'll experience all the bugs.

If person 1 expriences a bug with packs "a" and "b", and person 2 experiences bugs with packs "c" and "d'', and I have packs "a", "b", "c", and "d", I should likely experience the same bugs as person 1 and 2, plus some new ones because of my having all 4 of those packs mixed together, and not just a combination of 2.

That's in theory of course, but it sounds a bit reasonable.

Its almost better to have less packs lol. Buying all the packs under this theory puts us in the ballpark of being our own worst enemy lol.

Edit:
    @Kironide ..... I was typing it as you were posting it lol.

It's fine :) Great minds think alike. It happens to me a lot.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member

Did you ask their favorite color and then view their Sim Profile?
  • YautjagirlYautjagirl Posts: 351 Member
    haneul wrote: »

Yes, I just went and checked in the game right now. Sim profiles of the sims that I asked about color and likes works normally, no error messages.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    New personal low:
    I went and bought it out of boredom
    lets see if i just completely wasted my moneys

Same here 😁.
  • AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    One career for more money when TS3 has this in an EP (Ambitions) with many different hands on careers. Sigh. TS4 should be called the piecemeal game.

Five hands on careers. A freelance career with goals and promotions as well for various skills. A new non-active career and changes to an existing one. Bake sales for children. The ability to buy businesses and venues. A new town. A consignment shop, a fire station, junkyard, and a laundry mat. New skills with new skill rewards. A bunch of new lifetime wishes and new lifetime rewards. New traits. A new death type. Motorcycles.

Honestly, you cannot compare the two. It reminds me of the differences between Jungle Adventure and World Adventures. I know they're gamepacks instead of EPs, but bleh. Why Maxis? Why?

Edit: A lot of people complained about the rabbit holes in Sims 3, but with EPs, you could build grocery stores, book stores, food courts, etc. Most of that came with World Adventures, but other EPs added more registers. It is actually a very flexible and quite cool system.

So, just bought the TS3 starter bundle today. Same $20 I WOULD have spent on DHD if they had maybe even tried. :lol: So far, so good thanks to @Naus and his awesome Reddit guide.

I'll still play TS4 sometimes, but yeah, seems like TS3 just has more to offer. I think I'll just be spending my money here.

Just out of curiosity here, what are the price tags on your Sims' 3 packs? Or rather, do you have different price tags?

For me the prices of packs are listed the same for all packs....

World Packs: $19.99 (CAD)
    Expansion Packs: $19.99 (CAD)
    Stuff Packs: $19.99 (CAD)

Is this normal? lol. Do Sim 3 Stuff Packs cost the same as EPs and World Packs now? When I saw the World Packs listed as $19.99 I thought wow, the Stuff Packs should be pretty cheap to buy maybe. But nope. They're 20 bucks too. lol. Seriously?

Is it the same type of pricing for you as well?

For some odd reason, they never dropped the price of stuff packs. They are still the same price as they were at release.
    I imagine the only time they really sell is during a sale. You would think they would be itching to sell more since especially since they are digital copies and cost them nothing to "make", unlike if they were still producing discs.
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited June 2021

You don't have this bug because you have the pack installed. @logion explained in his post that the bug occurs when you don't have the pack.
    logion wrote: »

(edit)
    .... Actually, now that I think about it, I can interpret @logion post 2 different ways, so not sure now if my reply here is correct.

The bug is related with likes/dislikes, one user thinks it related to favorite colors and favorite music and the bug seems to happen for a lot of people, not everyone here as it seems, so that's good at least.

What I meant with my post is that you can avoid the bug by simply not asking sims about their likes/dislikes, but if you play the dream home decorator pack you have to ask them about it because that's part of the career so you are risking getting this bug every time you do a gig.
  • honeypooh1267honeypooh1267 Posts: 1,344 Member
    I have notice that one sim has the like or dislike but the rest don't so after my last gig I went looking at there like and dislike.... and out of the four of them only one had likes or dislike, she disliked blue but liked gardening, cooking... so I did white and black with modern kitchen.. they didn't like it.
    I have notice that one sim has the like or dislike but the rest don't so after my last gig I went looking at there like and dislike.... and out of the four of them only one had likes or dislike, she disliked blue but liked gardening, cooking... so I did white and black with modern kitchen.. they didn't like it.

That's an interesting experience.

Does that mean then, that the Sims have hidden preferences, or does the game just sometimes give you a random failures? If so, it might not be a bug, it might be deliberate. It's hard to tell, because the pack has several bugs.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    haneul wrote: »

Yes, I just went and checked in the game right now. Sim profiles of the sims that I asked about color and likes works normally, no error messages.

Good to know. Thanks for confirmation. I wonder what's triggering the error.
  • TheGreatGorlonTheGreatGorlon Posts: 382 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    Is there any actual tasks? (Like must add beds/dressers?) Or is it really just so vague and all it gives you is "this sim likes red and hates violins"

From what I've gleaned on watching reviews, this is correct. You have a stock list of things to do, like talk to clients, take pictures, renovate, then take more pics, then reveal. The job itself will be like "Floor Renovation" or "Kitchen Renovation" with no other requirements. A few videos even showed the ridiculousness of this, as you can decide to renovate the bathroom or bedroom when doing a "Kitchen Renovation," and not touch the actual kitchen at all, and still succeed so long as you hit the likes/dislikes. Since TS4 doesn't have a room identification system, this allows for the career to have massive loopholes.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    @Kironide @muzickmage 👍 the more packs the more bugs. Our reward for being good customers :lol:
  • NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    Anmirla wrote: »
    For some odd reason, they never dropped the price of stuff packs. They are still the same price as they were at release. I imagine the only time they really sell is during a sale. You would think they would be itching to sell more since especially since they are digital copies and cost them nothing to "make", unlike if they were still producing discs.

You can buy both EPs and SPs for $5 each when there's a sale on Steam (Summer, Halloween, Black Friday, Christmas, Lunar Year). Of course, if you already bought your game on Origin you need to buy the EPs on Origin too. However, if you buy the base game on Steam you can register the BG and the packs on Origin and have them on BOTH platforms.

The worlds are tricky. Some of them you can buy with SimPoints (when you register some packs you get free SimPoints, so you can buy one or two worlds with those) and there are some bundles that include two worlds (there's one that includes Hidden Springs and Monte Vista and it looks like a fair deal for two really nice worlds).

There are some worlds that have a Gold version but unless you are REALLY interested in the gameplay items they have, they are really not worth it. In some cases, you can buy the exclusive Gold content without having to buy the world (the Renaissance Faire, which includes Dragon Valley's Gold content, can be bought individually for $17). The Gold versions of the world generally give you a lot of free SimPoints, so in a way you aren't paying extra for them, in fact you're paying less (but it forces you to pay more upfront and keep buying content from the Store). For example, the Gold version of Dragon Valley gives you 1900 SimPoints, so this version ends up costing $16, cheaper than the standard version.

It all sounds really complex, but the good thing about The Sims 3 is that you DO NOT NEED Stuff Packs or Store content to have an amazing experience. EPs have two or three times more gameplay content than Sims 4 EPs. And you don't even need every EP, just Generations, Seasons and Pets and maybe Late Night, University Life and Showtime to have more venues to visit. The Sims 3 base game is such a strong foundation, it doesn't "force" you to buy additional content like The Sims 4's BG does.
  • AkilAkil Posts: 253 Member
    If this pack goes on 50% sale I'll pick it up because I like the items. Otherwise it just seems like a sad buggy mess :( What a shame.
  • lexibeelexibee Posts: 163 Member
    Kironide wrote: »

There's an interesting irony: the more packs you have, the more money you've invested in the game, the greater the likelihood of trouble. Great!

Yep! And they expect players to keep buying more packs for 10 more years? HA, makes me laugh.

It makes sense, because the more separate content you put into a game the greater likelihood of things not meshing properly, but that's why I don't understand why they think they can just keep doing this for another decade (like I've said before, EA doesn't care if the game is broken or not, just if they get your money, soooo).

This is part of the reason why I've become a lot more considerate of which packs I buy...
  • Echo17121Echo17121 Posts: 88 Member
    I showed up to the Ngata household to do a kitchen makeover and only the child was there building a sandcastle (felt the need to call CPS 😂) No moms in sight. So I had to ask him his preferences and only got 2 out of 4. Took a chance and when I called him back the moms came as well. Luckily they liked it. I think it's kinda silly that a child is considered a client in the first place.
  • AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    edited June 2021
    Naus wrote: »
    Anmirla wrote: »
    For some odd reason, they never dropped the price of stuff packs. They are still the same price as they were at release. I imagine the only time they really sell is during a sale. You would think they would be itching to sell more since especially since they are digital copies and cost them nothing to "make", unlike if they were still producing discs.

You can buy both EPs and SPs for $5 each when there's a sale on Steam (Summer, Halloween, Black Friday, Christmas, Lunar Year). Of course, if you already bought your game on Origin you need to buy the EPs on Origin too. However, if you buy the base game on Steam you can register the BG and the packs on Origin and have them on BOTH platforms.

The worlds are tricky. Some of them you can buy with SimPoints (when you register some packs you get free SimPoints, so you can buy one or two worlds with those) and there are some bundles that include two worlds (there's one that includes Hidden Springs and Monte Vista and it looks like a fair deal for two really nice worlds).

There are some worlds that have a Gold version but unless you are REALLY interested in the gameplay items they have, they are really not worth it. In some cases, you can buy the exclusive Gold content without having to buy the world (the Renaissance Faire, which includes Dragon Valley's Gold content, can be bought individually for $17). The Gold versions of the world generally give you a lot of free SimPoints, so in a way you aren't paying extra for them, in fact you're paying less (but it forces you to pay more upfront and keep buying content from the Store). For example, the Gold version of Dragon Valley gives you 1900 SimPoints, so this version ends up costing $16, cheaper than the standard version.

It all sounds really complex, but the good thing about The Sims 3 is that you DO NOT NEED Stuff Packs or Store content to have an amazing experience. EPs have two or three times more gameplay content than Sims 4 EPs. And you don't even need every EP, just Generations, Seasons and Pets and maybe Late Night, University Life and Showtime to have more venues to visit. The Sims 3 base game is such a strong foundation, it doesn't "force" you to buy additional content like The Sims 4's BG does.
    This. ^

I have every EP, like 2 Store Items and mountains of CC. Endless amount of content to enjoy.
    Of course, I could get the SP but as of now none of them really interest me since I can find some kind off CC that would be similar to it anyway.