Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Well, That's Another Fine Mess You've Gotten Me Into!

I have copies of my Sims in My Library. When I need to restart my family, I grab a copy. Seems simple, right? I have even gone so far as to save them again via cas.fulleditmode after they have skills and jobs. I thought I had done that. However, my one Sim, the Dad, has the Single and Loving It lifestyle in progress. And I'm thinking, say, what? He's got a wife and five kids. But, when I checked the panels, nowhere did it say he was a spouse. :open_mouth: I use the MCCC mod and thought to myself, there must be a way to 'fix' this little goof. Obviously, I forgot to set their relationship while in CAS. Face/palm. Taking them back in will give them the just married moodlet. Yeah. You're oldest child is closing in on eighteen years old and now you decide it's time to get married? :/ Better late than never, right? (Except it's better never late.) Oh, well. He's off to work, so I can't fix him, so I click on Louise and change their relationship to make him her husband. I get an interesting pop-up saying that Joseph is no longer collecting alimony, as he just got remarried. So, do I present the scenario that they were married, had their children, divorced, but for the sake of the children continued to live together? And then decided that's working out so well, they would tie the knot again? I hate when I make these really unforgivably, silly amateur mistakes. Ugh!

What to do about me? I promise, I did pass the cognitive test. ;p

So, please take this time to confess your moments of goofiness in which you failed to do what you knew you should do in the game, but for that rare brain-fart you somehow forgot.

Please, don't leave me hanging out on this steadily bowing limb. Share. It's okay, no judgment. It can happen to anybody. ;)
You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/

Comments

• Options
    ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    I have, on occasion (it shames me to admit it has happened more than once), gone to quit the game after playing a bit too long and crossing over into "I'm going to bed because otherwise I will pass out face-first onto my keyboard" territory...

...and when the game sensibly asks whether I want to "Save and Exit" or "Just Exit", chosen the latter option because my brain is dumb dumb stupidhead brain when sufficiently tired and knows not the meaning of the word "save".

It's not as bad as it could be, since my borderline obsession with editing townies I see wandering about means I'm often going to Manage Worlds, and there's a save prompt there.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options
    Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    edited June 2021
    Technically Laitha has died twice. First time was being burned alive from the Dryer. It had been a long time since I last saved, and half of Gen 3 was already underway, and death had already claimed her soul (I was tabbed out and saw this all when I came back...). I just bit the bullet and reloaded the older save. From then on I save twice. I "save" and then when I need to exit the game I "Save and Exit". I always "Save and go to manage worlds" when I need to manage my households too. I got a nice mental system in place to prevent any lack of saving.

The other goof was between Brandi V and her uncle Leslie, which produced Brandi VI and screwed up the family tree. While the incest was totally unintentional, it was the first time someone in the family had an unplanned child. ^^' Again, tabbed out and coming back on the tail of things gone wrong.

• Options
    Zimz4Zimz4 Posts: 354 Member
    edited June 2021
    Yeah. You're oldest child is closing in on eighteen years old and now you decide it's time to get married? :/ Better late than never, right? (Except it's better never late.)

This line confuses me. What does the age of your children has to do with your decision to get married? Heck, if you and your high school sweetheart that you have been in a relationship with with for the past 70 years decide to 'tie the knot' at age 86 or something for whatever reason (and have your adult grandchild walk you down the aisle) then that choice is entirely your prerogative.
    Post edited by Zimz4 on
  • Options
    MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    In the early stages of quarantine, I had a save. This was a lovely save filled with drama. Anyway, one of my sims, Meredith (Young Adult), was having an affair with Alex Goth (Elder). Her husband, Malcolm Landgraab (young Adult), found out and they divorced. 2 Days later, Meredith walked down the aisle to her fiancee, Alex. They got married and had a lovely night. But. Alex was aging quite fast, and as he ate lunch the next day, he stood up. And collapsed dead. He died of old age a day after his wedding, giving Meredith a taste of delectable karma. She later burned to death in a horrific fireplace incident, leaving 2 kids from Malcolm. Her kids were sad, but by this time Malcolm had remarried and gotten his new wife pregnant. And that's that. I let a woman marry a man who was super old and he died because I didn't configure time to my own management. And her burning was also poor judgement on my part, but at least her kids escaped.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I once built an entire 4 bedroom house and was so proud of it, only to find when I went to count up bedrooms and bathrooms to put it on the gallery it had zero bathrooms. ☹️😩
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    I started a save the other day where I have 8 sims in each base game world. I had done this a few times but there were a couple issues with the other saves, so I started fresh...for the 3rd time. I cleared out every lot in all the other worlds (except Magnolia Promenade).

Anyway, I decided to make Mt. Komorebi and Sulani vacation worlds. This way I can play them more than I do now. While going to each lot and changing them to rental lots, I kept bulldozing them instead. I didn't do it just once, it was nearly every lot. Luckily, they were lots I built so I just had to put them back so no harm was done. But, I got so frustrated with myself, and probably still have a hand-sized print on my forehead from all the facepalms.

I'm also really bad for going to Manage Worlds instead of exiting Build Mode. I can't tell you how many times a build session I do that. It's a wonder I get anything done in this game for all my mess-ups.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    I once built an entire 4 bedroom house and was so proud of it, only to find when I went to count up bedrooms and bathrooms to put it on the gallery it had zero bathrooms. ☹️😩

I've done that. Worst part is, The house was so layed out and furnished i didn't even have space to place an extension to the build that didn't look terrible.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member

Well see, that's where you pretend it's a much older house and built an outhouse in the backyard. ;) My Dad was born in 1928 and he grew up in a house that only had an outhouse. It snows in Kansas, too. No wonder he and all but one brother (who shared a bed) wet the shared bed nightly. :open_mouth: My poor uncle Paul.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • Options
    Zimz4 wrote: »
    Yeah. You're oldest child is closing in on eighteen years old and now you decide it's time to get married? :/ Better late than never, right? (Except it's better never late.)

This line confuses me. What does the age of your children has to do with your decision to get married? Heck, if you and your high school sweetheart that you have been in a relationship with with for the past 70 years decide to 'tie the knot' at age 86 or something for whatever reason (and have your adult grandchild walk you down the aisle) then that choice is entirely your prerogative.

I don't subscribe to that line of thinking. Babies outside of marriage (while a personal choice) is not one I would make. I play my Core Values.
  • Options
    ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member

I don't subscribe to that line of thinking. Babies outside of marriage (while a personal choice) is not one I would make. I play my Core Values.

This to me is my favorite part of The Sims as a game. My personal values are traditional to the point of being retrograde—reflective of my childhood in a conservative suburb in the 1980s. (My political values are a completely different story, but not one that's relevant to this conversation, so that's all I'll say.)

Point is, reflecting those values into a Simworld creates something that a lot of folks around here would find appalling...while a lot of other folks' Simworlds, were I to play in them, would probably strike me as being on Sixam for as far away as they are from my playstyle and worldview. It's kind of awesome to think about, really.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Okay so, this might be slightly off-topic but when I was a kid playing the Sims 2 it always asked you before quitting:

"Do you want to save the game before quitting? Any unsaved changes will be lost." And it had the options, Yes, No or Cancel

Now with my 8 year old brain I thought "Unsaved changes will be lost? No I don't want that" So I would click on No instead of Yes ignoring the first question completely. Everytime I got back into my game I was so confused as to why I lost my progress.
    Then one day I realized "Oh, I must be clicking the wrong option when exiting". So next time when I tried exiting I wanted to get it right. However, by then I had forgotten which option I chose last time that didn't save my progress so I read the question again and what do you know. I answered no again.

I did that around 8 times until I realized I was supposed to answer "Yes". I was not a bright kid.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    Okay so, this might be slightly off-topic but when I was a kid playing the Sims 2 it always asked you before quitting:

"Do you want to save the game before quitting? Any unsaved changes will be lost." And it had the options, Yes, No or Cancel

Now with my 8 year old brain I thought "Unsaved changes will be lost? No I don't want that" So I would click on No instead of Yes ignoring the first question completely. Everytime I got back into my game I was so confused as to why I lost my progress.
    Then one day I realized "Oh, I must be clicking the wrong option when exiting". So next time when I tried exiting I wanted to get it right. However, by then I had forgotten which option I chose last time that didn't save my progress so I read the question again and what do you know. I answered no again.

I did that around 8 times until I realized I was supposed to answer "Yes". I was not a bright kid.

Not off topic at all, just a different iteration. I started my Sims' Odyssey with the Sims2. My first genuine gaming experience. ;)
  • Options

This to me is my favorite part of The Sims as a game. My personal values are traditional to the point of being retrograde—reflective of my childhood in a conservative suburb in the 1980s. (My political values are a completely different story, but not one that's relevant to this conversation, so that's all I'll say.)

Point is, reflecting those values into a Simworld creates something that a lot of folks around here would find appalling...while a lot of other folks' Simworlds, were I to play in them, would probably strike me as being on Sixam for as far away as they are from my playstyle and worldview. It's kind of awesome to think about, really.

I was born in the 1950s, so you can well imagine how retrograde my viewpoint is. LOL I'm happy in my Bubble and I try to think of how others feel when choosing my words on this forum. I don't judge and I have always said there is no wrong way to play this game. Play the way that makes you happy. That's what I do. :)
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I'm also really bad for going to Manage Worlds instead of exiting Build Mode. I can't tell you how many times a build session I do that. It's a wonder I get anything done in this game for all my mess-ups.

Thank you! I thought I was losing my mind, considering how ridiculously often I do that very same thing. Well, I still may be, but it's nice to know that at least I'm not alone. :lol:
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    Other than the Parkshore Door Fiasco of 2019? Hmm...

Once when I was playing TS2, I decided to have Brandi Broke grow a garden to bring a few Simoleons in. I was getting impatient (the boys needed another bedroom!) so I clicked “compost”, expecting her to put compost on the plants, and then spent several Sim days wondering where the tomatoes had gone before realising that I’d actually been turning them into compost. XD
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • Options
    VeeDub wrote: »

Thank you! I thought I was losing my mind, considering how ridiculously often I do that very same thing. Well, I still may be, but it's nice to know that at least I'm not alone. :lol:

When I'm placing multiple items, I accidently hit F1 instead of Esc on the keyboard. That also takes you to Manage Worlds. In my defense though, my keyboard is in a tray under the desk and I'm too lazy to pull it all the way out. :D
  • Options

When I'm placing multiple items, I accidently hit F1 instead of Esc on the keyboard. That also takes you to Manage Worlds. In my defense though, my keyboard is in a tray under the desk and I'm too lazy to pull it all the way out. :D

Whoopsie! Sorry, that gave me a bit of a giggle. I think I see a little of myself in your statement.

UPDATE: And I managed to mess up again. I use MCCC and through that I can give my Sim kids the three weeks of summer off. I have learned that once you hit the resume school button, they won't go back for two days. I place the holiday "Labor Day" in my game. So, the very first Monday of Fall, is the holiday. Joey was still asleep when I clicked on resume school for his four siblings. I told myself I'd do the same for him when I saw him up. I have no idea why or what prevented me from doing so yesterday during my gaming session (while it was still Saturday in my game), but Monday rolls around. All four of the other kids go off to school. Joey is still slumbering in his lower bunk. I click on his 'career' panel to find he has none. :open_mouth: That's when I realized I totally forgot about poor Joey! LOL Well, he never did do his homework, either, so it's good that he has 48 hours before he has to attend school. What a goof I can be at times.
  • Options

Whoopsie! Sorry, that gave me a bit of a giggle. I think I see a little of myself in your statement.

I feel like at least 50% of my gameplay is me facepalming because I did something dumb or forgot to do something.
  • Options
    foxybillyfoxybilly Posts: 231 Member
    On my Mac keyboard when in build mode I used the 'T' button to have the camera move over head to check the build, and for some reason I keep hitting the Y - which on my keyboard makes the house look like a set of blueprints - I have no idea what you can do with that facility but its not what I want - I seem to do it every time and have to press 'Y' again to exit!!
  • Options

I feel like at least 50% of my gameplay is me facepalming because I did something dumb or forgot to do something.

So very glad I'm not alone. :)
  • Options
    PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    In one of my houses in my gallery, there is a random wall. The wall happened from a glitch when building and I didn't catch it. That house had been added, deleted, re-added so many times because of stupid little things I did wrong that when I saw that wall in the last upload, I finally said "Forget it! Anyone who downloads the lot can delete the wall easily enough!" So far, people seem to enjoy the home so apparently they saw the wall and said, "hmm, looks like an oopsie... delete."