Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Had Potential

Maybe, it still does. I was very reluctant and maybe even waited a bit to buy sims 4 when it came out. (I got it and a bundle of spa day and perfect patio stuff) for sale, I believe.

Even though the game was lacking certian things, events and stuff happened and those were fun.

I remember being rude to a guy, and him asking what he ever did to me. I haven't seen those in a while, maybe I don't play the game enough (I only play if I'm intrested in maybe coming back and I haven't been impressed enough.)

I figure maybe EA would like to know why, I gave it a chance and even though I don't like it in its current state, that I don't regret giving it a chance.

I'll start with the good things that I think would make the game, with a little improvement.

The emotions are a good feature, however do need tweaking. It wasn't a bad idea.

Are emotions way to heavily swung, yes. However, I like them and would like them to stay.

Combining them with traits was on track, however maybe have have more than one emotion for a trait.

For example, materlistic sims becoming sad when they haven't purchased something for a while is fine.

Also, maybe also they become happy when they purchase something expensive.

I feel like there should be three possible emotion states for a trait. ​I'll come back to traits in a minute.

And when sims do have emotions, they should have to progress in between sad and happy emotions before they get there. Emotions just need to last longer. They can change instantly ever once in a while. If a sim is really happy and their whole family dies, then they can go from amazingly happy to really sad. That seems realistic to me.

Now, traits, great idea, but traits need improvement. And I did notice the sims team is working on this. Honestly, I'm glad.

Traits cannot be overruled by emotions. They can be combined with them. Maybe certian traits can be more likley to show if a sim is feeling certian emotions.

Maybe have a player tie a trait to a emotion and sims defualt to that trait interactions if the certian emotion is tied to it.

Maybe sims with the mean trait are more likley to make enimies when happy or playful. They still need to be mean overall, however.

Traits have to mean something.

Although, even with that feedback, traits need more fleshed out. I do think the sims team is on the right track here, even without ideas listed above.

What should've been in the base game at the start. (For simplicity's sake, this section will also add what needs to be in the base game that isn't in it.)

Firefighters and the repo man, pools etc. were added later on. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that doesn't count as a improvement. It counts as fixing your mistakes.

Toddlers, even though, they are the best toddlers in the series. (They really are.) I would be proud if, it came in the base game.

While I'm on to life stages, babies as objects, nope. This will always be a setback in my opinion.

You proved you can flesh out life stages, I expect it in all life stages goig forward.

Pets, University etc. You know people want these, at this point, there is absolutley no reason these can't be in the basegame. Then, you can take diffrent directions and look, all the basics will be taken care of.

If a pack has been reused two times or more successfully, it now should be basegame material for the next game. (And charging a little extra for extra work is fine and so is delaying your game.) I'll even make a exception for supernatruals, as much as it pains me.

What isn't in the game that should be, one completly left out is a burglar, it was in 1,2,3. It should just be a game feature at this point.

I also think you should be able to build your own worlds, add lots etc. without limitations. This should be expected at this point.

Cars should be in the game at this point. The dead horse has been beaten already, so moving on.

Others, are above. As most has been added back.

Personalities, that are in dlc packs that should be in the base game, include the whatever the responsibility etc. traits are called, lifestyles (these should even be able to be picked in create a sim). Stuff that enhances a game personality that is very basic should not have to be paid for.

No one should have to pay to have sims have personality. It's too late now, but please remember that for the next base game.

Things that I expect in a expansion pack, sims 4 expansion packs are way to lacking (and from what I noticed by watching others play, glitchy).

I expect three things from a expansion pack on a precedent the sims has set itself (four does not follow these guidelines).

1. A main feature. This can be whatever you want. Long as it improves gameplay somehow.

2. A occult in each one. There was in 2 & 3 expansions so I know you can do it. Below, I'll explain how I could make an exception.

3. It not to be buggy.

I said I would make an exception for occults in certian cases. If occults had its own pack and it was fleshed out.

And I mean this pack effects all occult things. You make a werewolf pack and it is the most fleshed out werewolf I ever seen, then fine by me. However, the expansion packs, need to be as fleshed out without a occult to make it worthwhile.

Gamepacks need to go, they are just less fleshed out expansion packs. Replace them with a occult pack or something.

A good way to have gone may have been, one realistic pack, one stuff pack, one occult pack. You maybe could have added a world pack in there every now and then.

Kits don't impress me. From what I've seen, bust the dust makes me think gameplay ones are released buggy. And I do love that builders and cas players have kits for them, it's just not for me.

CAS story mode is wonderful, keep that in the game. Next time, can you please make traits not lock in. That is my only complaint with this one.

Open neighborhood should have been a requirement from the start. Open world can be a issue. It seems from games I played, it can be hit or miss. I do expect open neighborhood in the next base game, however.

Also, fix the whims and please never again, disable a feature that doesn't work instead of fixing it.

There's so many threads about glitches, it seems, I'm not even going to get into it, as the dead horse has been beaten.

The game has so much potential. It's a shame that the game is looking like it is lost. Please help it find its way home. I want the game to succeeded.

Comments

• Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    For me the potential is gone as this game is over 7 years old now.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    It does not have potential and it never did. It is built on the wrong engine. It just will never reach the heights of previous games. It's 2021 and it's doing stuff we've seen 10 years ago already.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    It does not have potential and it never did. It is built on the wrong engine. It just will never reach the heights of previous games. It's 2021 and it's doing stuff we've seen 10 years ago already.

I so agree :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    Meh, it got me into the Sims series as a whole so it certainly did something right. I do understand that it's still a flawed experience and I myself have to grapple with its problems but overall? I think its potential is realized for the most part.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited June 2021
    I still believe this game has potential. But the team really has to focus on the core and gameplay and not let themselves lure into bringing content that looks nice, but doesn't help the actual gaming experience. Doing that is admitting they lost connection with their gameplay focused player base and accepted they can only cater to those that mainly use the game for building and creating Sims. Talking about "redefining" pack types is a clear step in that wrong direction.
    Post edited by 83bienchen on
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    It would probably help if they took their own game more seriously. As of now it feels as if every feature has to be funny or wacky in some way, what in effect hurts the game.

For example dusting was a wish of the reality players, it would have worked perfectly fine without the need to cute it up with the dust bunnies. (I still have them in my game, only got a mod to stop them from generating money).
    Or Eco Lifestyle's NAPs, some are simply over the top, others would actually be contradictionary in real life. When I know in advance that there won't be water the next day, I tend to fill up more in bowls, buckets and bottles than I actually need. Cutting the water for a day is therefor a very bad idea when the goal is to save water.

Don't be afraid to code a boring feature, devs, your players will find ways to make it fun! Also don't be afraid to make something in-depth or to show us numbers (relationship bars are useless without actual numbers)). Players who don't like that kind of detail will just gloss it over.

(I have more gripes like sims not recognizing rooms and therefore eating on the toilet or doing sales pitches sitting on the swimming pool edge. But the main problem for both storytellers and achievement focused gamers is, I think, that Sims 4 is treated too much as a safe toy with rounded edges.)
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited June 2021
    I think it has potential but i agree with Bienchen. The focus should be in improving gameplay. But something tells me they've gave up on that...
  • Options
    Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    TS4 was built of a failed online game so it is obvious that at this point will never reach its glory because how bad the base is. TS4 survived from being the next "The Sims" title and from great marketing. If it we had good competition already in 2014, TS4 would have been another SimCity case. EA is lucky.
  • Options
    Renato10 wrote: »
    TS4 was built of a failed online game so it is obvious that at this point will never reach its glory because how bad the base is. TS4 survived from being the next "The Sims" title and from great marketing. If it we had good competition already in 2014, TS4 would have been another SimCity case. EA is lucky.

So true. :)
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    The game still has potential but I am getting tired of the catering to builders. I guess that is why I have not played in 4 months. I don't play this game to build and frankly I feel like most of the popular game changers are builders and they are just catering to them. I have said this 4 months ago and here comes a pack with the same focus.

I like they have implemented likes and dislikes but having 20 almost makes it meaningless and doesn't help to form a sims true personality. I guess you can sort of enhance some of the traits but others not so much. You have the basic my fav color is, music is, where is the food option? I would have also seen like my loner sims, hates parties and hates socializing with other sims to enhance the trait of being a loner. Let's change the emotion of it too based on traits...like a loner, hot head would be anger and might start a fight with someone trying to socialize....yet a loner, shy or plain loner may just feel tense talking to other people and maybe be a wallflower at a party. I just really wish they would take the time to flesh out the sims themselves...make them react to different scenarios based on their traits, likes and dislikes. I am still not seeing a change in behavior. Rando emotion is just not working anymore.

I know people have high expectations that Sims 5 will be done properly, but frankly I think it will be worse so I am all for trying to make this game work...LOL
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    The sims 4 definitely has more potential to be even better than it is, improving traits and added likes and dislikes it's going to a better direction, I hope so
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    I have to agree with the original poster....Sims 4 is 7 years old already, and we should of gotten Sims 5 after Sims 4 turned 5. Don't you all think it's time to let go of sims 4 already so the sims team can focus on giving us fresh,new features in Sims 5? We REALLY need to get out of the Sims 4 era already and we need to learn to let go of things and embrace the future.

I want to ask people: What are you all going to do when the Sims 4 engine finally gives out,and you're unable to play Sims 4? What if the Sims 4 engine breaks suddenly because it's being overloaded with packs?

I think we should of let go of a 5-year-old sims 4 game and accepted Sims 5. We cannot keep clinging on to Sims 4 forever and ever and ever,because no game can last that long.

Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options
    I have to agree with the original poster....Sims 4 is 7 years old already, and we should of gotten Sims 5 after Sims 4 turned 5. Don't you all think it's time to let go of sims 4 already so the sims team can focus on giving us fresh,new features in Sims 5? We REALLY need to get out of the Sims 4 era already and we need to learn to let go of things and embrace the future.

I want to ask people: What are you all going to do when the Sims 4 engine finally gives out,and you're unable to play Sims 4? What if the Sims 4 engine breaks suddenly because it's being overloaded with packs?

I think we should of let go of a 5-year-old sims 4 game and accepted Sims 5. We cannot keep clinging on to Sims 4 forever and ever and ever,because no game can last that long.

I do not think it is an matter of how old the program is with exception to adding any fruitful features it is the direction EA/Maxis took Sims 4 in and some fear what direction they will with Sims 5. However seeing what they did with with Sims 4 I will not be quick to plop the money down until I see what direction they do go in. I am very critical of EA/Maxis on the Sims series now as they stripped everything from Sims 4 that would have resembled Sims 2 or 3 based on an couple of choices such as an project from an cancelled project, catering to systems of the lowest denominator instead tweaking the system and failure to grasp whatever technology that was available at the time. Some are satisfied with it it because of the name and some dislike it because it creativity level is lessened by the lack of meaningful features like game tools such as editors for the neighborhoods, an Cast system or even an color wheel which allows one to go beyond the primary and secondary colors. Also Sims 4 has it's own problems right now EA/Maxis was hoping to avoid with bugs and it's poor handling of them. I do not hate the game but dislike it for the potential on it for me has been wasted.
  • Options
    eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    It would probably help if they took their own game more seriously. As of now it feels as if every feature has to be funny or wacky in some way, what in effect hurts the game.

This is one of the things I absolutely hate about TS4. I can't stand the wacky/cartoony deaths either. Any of the mood type deaths I could do without, I don't have Tiny Living but the murphy bed death would irritate me, the freezing/overheating death from Seasons, etcetera. If I'm playing and a sim dies from any of those deaths, I just cheat to bring them back, it doesn't even count to me because it's just so ridiculous.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2021
    I think the year of potential has long since past. It's like sewing a new piece of silk onto an old rag. Seven years is a very, very long time for a game to continue and just keep pouring new liquid into an old bottle. I can slap a new label on it (rebrand it) but it's still an old musty bottle.
    A silk purse on a sow's ear. What you have mentioned in the original post seems like it has been said thousands of times by thousands of players in thousands of threads because any add on or DLC or whatever, is just a repeat of what is already in the base and therefore sewing on a new cloth to an old rag. Because it will still have the same animations, bhavs, same programming of emotions, traits and same repeat play that you already have in the base. It's very redundant no matter where the Sim goes and or what the career is, and or what their trait might be, and or what their emotions might be. Seven years of redundancy is quite enough and I would bet developers are tired of it, too. (Burnt out) Maybe the best thing that could happen would be a year away from the game, for developers, take a rest, let it go, then come back with fresh eyes and see what players see. Maybe EA should think how tired everyone is getting of the whole nine yards.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    It only seemingly has potential because modders can do cool things with it. Other than that I've given up on the idea of it having potential. Maybe years back I thought that, but now... No. It's been 7 years. It is what it is now.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited June 2021
    I agree, the Sims 4 did have potential.

If they had tried to make the game more like the Sims 2, with emphasis on the sims' personalities, it would have been a lot better. But, the Sims 4 team wanted to do their own thing, and just ignored almost everything great about the past games.

Also, EA is so stingy, so they were basically working with barely any money. So almost everything they released was incomplete.

Now, the game is merely a wish fulfillment simulator. There's barely any challenge at all. And the game is all fake cosmetics and shallow.

It indeed could have been great.....But it's not :(

I'll end with a positive point. I still have some hope that the game will get better. The Likes/ Dislikes are going in the right direction.