Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you rather build in The Sims 2 (base game) or play The Sims 4 on first release date?

Would you rather build in The Sims 2 (base game) or play The Sims 4 on first release date? 86 votes

Build in The Sims 2 (only base game allowed)
51%
Sara1010PRflong7lisamwittGoodywoodncisGibbs02Paryfruitsbasket101ApparentlyAwesomeCinebarbarracuda1574AncientMusewormofthebookRsandaJemliabixtersRenato10M13VulpeculaSimplyBreaDevinaleChadSims2 44 votes
Play The Sims 4 (only base game, release-date version)
39%
PlayerSinger2010Isb917SimburianFigwithaneulsimgirl1010friendlysimmersg01denswanMindofytaydevTeeSeaannaliese39LatinaBunnytexxx78AngelEb95AstroEnkiSchmidtYBNS2468calipossJediMuppet 34 votes
Results
9%
Wrenryzagboorulesduhboy2u2waterywatermelonddd994izecsonAngeliqueAdelaideorenjiAi 8 votes

Comments

• texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I answer play in 4 just because i'm not a builder. I always prefer to play over exclusivelly building...
  • waterywatermelonwaterywatermelon Posts: 473 Member
    Results
    texxx78 wrote: »
    I answer play in 4 just because i'm not a builder. I always prefer to play over exclusivelly building...

Thanks for your opinion.

The common opinions are that the Sims 4 is the best at building while the Sims 2/3 are the best at gameplay. So, I reverse it and ask people whether they would prefer building in The Sims 2 (base game, so no extra build mode cheats or cool objects and functionalities) or The Sims 4 gameplay at launch (highly controversial).
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    texxx78 wrote: »

Thanks for your opinion.

The common opinions are that the Sims 4 is the best at building while the Sims 2/3 are the best at gameplay. So, I reverse it and ask people whether they would prefer building in The Sims 2 (base game, so no extra build mode cheats or cool objects and functionalities) or The Sims 4 gameplay at launch (highly controversial).

Nice approach :)
  • TheStarrSimmerTheStarrSimmer Posts: 206 Member
    edited June 2021
    While I like TS2 better overall, I have to admit, once you get over the learning curve of build mode in TS4, it is much much better.

But this is coming from someone who just started playing TS4 since April 2021. Si, I wouldn't know what the release date version of TS4 is.
    Snap_5bFm8Er5qd514231703.png
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,707 Member
    I don't like building in any of the games.
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited June 2021
    I also prefer to play in live mode rather than build. I miss a lot about TS2 gameplay.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    I had the most fun building houses in "The Sims" as it was all so new to me. Sims 4 was easier to start with.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Play first, then build a home.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    I'm not a builder but I'd rather build in TS2 than play live in TS4. It's an exercise in frustration to play in TS4 live mode! Everything works as they should in TS2, so even though it doesn't have the build features of TS4, you can still create fantastic lots if you're a builder. But since I'm not a builder, as usual, I just download other people's TS2 lots and modify them for my own use or the ones already in the world. TS2 also has more customization (although not as much as TS3) of its items than TS4 - you can change patterns of them so that everything will match as you want it to.

And then afterward, I can play live mode in TS2, where everything works as they should without a ton of mods and has so many more gameplay features! A lot more fun than the newer TS4 and more bang for your buck than TS4 ever could!

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Considering I was there for both base game releases, I will have to go with building in TS2's base. I can't erase bad memories of TS4's bad release no matter how hard I try.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    That’s a rather odd question, why not ask if we’d rather play TS2 base game at release or TS4 base game at release?

Anyway, considering building isn’t my favorite thing to do i guess I’d have to suck it up and play TS4.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    edited June 2021
    So the question is "Was Sims 4 basegame so bad that even lifemode players would prefer to build (in a game with a stronger, yet less easily accesable, buildmode) rather than play it?". No, it wasn't.
    Astro wrote: »
    That’s a rather odd question, why not ask if we’d rather play TS2 base game at release or TS4 base game at release?

That would be a hard one for me. Sims 4 basegame had no pools, no ghosts (meaning dead sims were gone forever), a very small sims limit (180, I already have 150 played sims) and very aggressive culling. Also that stupid system that overrides the free will off setting when motives drop into the red.

Sims basegame had only painting as work from home option, not even fishing yet. No inventory, therefore no easy transfer of objects between households (without mods that is important). And toddlers couldn't get customized (changing clothes was, I think, possible, if you had bought outfits before the baby aged up, but changing appearance only came with an expansion), therefore never really felt like my sims. No calling aliens via the telescope, you were subjected to chance. And also no dating yet, therefore no cheesing the wants/fears system.
    On the upside rotational play is much more relaxed with time passing tied to households instead of globally.

The only thing I know is that I prefer both over Sims 3 basegame.
  • AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited June 2021
    Results
    I have never built in Sims 2 and I started playing Sims 4 several years after it was released, so I can't really compare. I would probably play Sims 4 base game, though, since building in Sims 2 looks really frustrating in general, based on the videos I've watched on Youtube.
    Results

Anyway, considering building isn’t my favorite thing to do i guess I’d have to suck it up and play TS4.

Technology was different back then than what it is now. There were not that many patches to begin with, and most of the patches were associated with the expansion packs. The patches were mainly there to fix bugs/glitches that some users reported. If you wanted a specific feature like split foundations or lockable doors, then you had to buy Open For Business. By the time the Sims 3 arrived, people could update the base game without buying any expansion pack.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    edited June 2021

Technology was different back then than what it is now. There were not that many patches to begin with, and most of the patches were associated with the expansion packs. The patches were mainly there to fix bugs/glitches that some users reported. If you wanted a specific feature like split foundations or lockable doors, then you had to buy Open For Business. By the time the Sims 3 arrived, people could update the base game without buying any expansion pack.

Actually, it was later in TS3 when they started added patches to the base game and not the expansion.

Plus, the point would be, base game to base game play or build - imo. :)

I would still rather build in the base game of TS2 than play in the base game of TS4.
    In TS2 base game I could make my own maps and have so many different neighborhoods which all look different. :)
    Results
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Actually, it was later in TS3 when they started added patches to the base game and not the expansion.

Plus, the point would be, base game to base game play or build - imo. :)

I would still rather build in the base game of TS2 than play in the base game of TS4.
    In TS2 base game I could make my own maps and have so many different neighborhoods which all look different. :)

Thanks for the correction. I got into TS3 pretty late, in 2013, right before the start of TS4. At that time, I did remember some patches.

My own sentence is weirdly worded, too, because "arrived" would suggest the beginning of The Sims 3, not the entire The Sims 3 heyday.

Also, I didn't want to include Sims 4 build mode, because too many people would say "Sims 4 is the best at building!" Rather, I wanted to make it harder by suggesting Sims 4 live mode (considered weak by some players) or Sims 2 build mode (considered too difficult by some players).
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I played Sims 2 for years. If all I get to do is build in S2 (which was terribly frustrating, and if I don't get to do anything else it would be pointless) or play in S4, I guess I'd rather play.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Everyone who isn't a builder saying they'll just play TS4, remember this is just BASE GAME we're talking about. There's hardly anything to do in live game mode in TS4, remember? You'd probably only play it for like 5 to 10 minutes tops and then run out of things to do, lol! At least in TS2, you can move lots around in the world, add or remove them, change the look of the world itself without ever truly "building" anything - at BASE GAME. You can even build a whole new world if you want and just stock it full of other people's lots and modify them as your creativity allows.

• Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    This was a difficult one, but I picked 2 because quite frankly if I am building I am going to play with a family. I'll be building the house for them, too. (Also, if I took the time to install it, I'd install all my packs, too.)

4 at launch could not keep me interested at all basically. I still nearly exclusively played 3 when it first launched, hoping it would shape up in the meantime. If I had 2 installed, I would have played it instead of 4, too. My playstyle had not adapted yet either, so I could not properly appreciate CAS and BB in light of the live mode deficiencies.
  • SeashoreLiviaSeashoreLivia Posts: 833 Member
    I've never had 2 so I don't know if I would like building in it. Also I like the sims 4 base game.
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 888 Member
    I was there for Sims 4 release, I tried it and promptly went back to Sims 3 until they updated and added to 4. I would rather build in Sims 2 base game than play Sims 4 like it was at release.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Even in base game only, still prefer to play and build in TS2. It may be old, but it's still good, like a vintage car that runs just fine vs a relatively new one that lives in Al's Auto Shop.
  • GreenTurtleGreenTurtle Posts: 153 Member
    That's a tough one. TS2 doesn't run without crashing on my PC, which kind of put me off from playing it. I had fun playing TS4 when it just came out, but to go back now? I dunno. I'm already kinda bored with playing the seven years updated base game. I don't think I could go back.

One upside, though, the emotion system wasn't as unhinged at release. It actually took a little effort to get your sim into a certain emotion before they started dumping buffs and moodlets into the game with DLC.

I think I'mma go with building in TS2, assuming it wouldn't crash. Because I like building, I guess. TS4 basegame could still be fun with cc, though.
  • wormofthebookwormofthebook Posts: 176 Member
    I remember playing the base game for the free trial when TS4 came out. It was so empty and I only used about an hour of the trial. I would get more enjoyment out of building in TS2 than TS4 on release.
    ldauop39735.png
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    Anything is better than TS4 on release date. I want to forget that date forever