Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Major water reflection/mirror issue reflects "grid" not waters surface

TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
edited December 2021 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
EDIT: (DEC 2021)

This is now confirmed to be a major graphical mirror error that effects all new AMD gpu (series 5000 and current 6000) in the way they handle mirrored surfaces (they reverse mirror objects).

In this case water reflections are reflecting what is on the opposite side of the ocean/game grid rather than above the waters surface (sky, ect)

gCXvTqB.png

This mirror graphic glitch also effects Sims 2 and Sims 3 with new AMD gpu's and requires a AMD driver fix for all sim games, please report this issue to AMD community! This glitch has existed for years still has not been fixed and will effect all new AMD gpu owners.
Post edited by TOLKIEN on

Comments

• Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    That is a very strange glitch. I don't use TS4 much. Still, I've never seen that issue before.

Are you using mods? If so, try the 50/50 method. It may reveal the culprit. Also, after each update, make sure that you update all mods. If you don't use mods, perhaps repairing your game might help? Also, try searching/posting here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/bd-p/The-Sims-4-Bugs. Someone there may be aware of the issue.

I wish you luck. Whatever is going on, it's very unsightly and I understand your frustration.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    SeashoreLiviaSeashoreLivia Posts: 833 Member
    I used to play in windenburg all the time and I've never seen that. Maybe its a glitch from a recent patch
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Which lot is this visible from?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Just CC no mods, mostly just clothing and a skintone.
    Chazzzy wrote: »

The big one on the island. Maybe it just effects that lot?
  • Options
    GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    It looks like you're in build mode, is it only visible in build mode or in live mod also?
  • Options
    It looks like you're in build mode, is it only visible in build mode or in live mod also?

Both.
  • Options
    GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    TOLKIEN wrote: »

Both.

Sorry to hear that. :disappointed:
    Have you searched the bug posts like @Cynna suggested? If there's no bug reports on it, you could post your own?

Hope it gets sorted for you. :smile:
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    I play a lot from that lot but I have never seen it.
    Perhaps it’s an issue related to your graphics card?

I hope you get it sorted!
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Actually fired the game up to check. Went to both the Bluffs and the physically largest lot (De Loreal, I think) on the island and didn't see the problem. Took sim everywhere to check as much water as possible. The version in question doesn't go past University, so it's possible a later patch/pack is responsible. Sounds like bug report time, and I wish you well.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I just looked in my game to see if I had that (was secretly hoping it was due to a recent update and my hopeful mind was thinking maybe it was them working on opening up swimming in all worlds and the grid lines were where sims could swim ... I know! wishful thinking on my part! :'(

Anyway, mine does not look like that.

I'm patched to the most recent patch.

Here's a screenshot as close to your angle as I could get so you can see what mine looks like:

FsEBfjD.png
  • Options
    PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    Checked my game too, but I don't seem to have that issue.

S3Uwv5M.png

My advice is the usual, check your graphics card settings, check for driver and OS updates etc. Not sure what help I could give beyond that, but I hope you get it fixed soon!
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • Options
    I'm curious if this bug is effecting AMD card users only, can the above posters confirm if your using nvidia or AMD cards? I suspect Nvidia which is why is probably isn't showing up?
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    I'm an Nvidia user.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    edited June 2021
    Nvidia, came with the PC. In years past have had issues with AMD cards, all the way from odd graphics to the game just refused to load. Ever since will have nothing to do with AMD.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I also am using an Nvidia card in my PC.
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    I don't have that either. I'm using an AMD graphics card, and it's also outdated (planning on getting a new one soon). I checked every lot on the island in Windenburg as well.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    TOLKIEN wrote: »
    Just CC no mods, mostly just clothing and a skintone.
    Chazzzy wrote: »

The big one on the island. Maybe it just effects that lot?

Have you tried removing your CC and see if the problem persists? Bad CC can do unspeakable things. Also it could be some enlarged object placed on or off lot. I've seen people complain about some of the Cantina build pieces in Journey to Batuu that somehow became massively enlarged and displaced and blocked paths in Batuu. Check in a new save to see if the grid lines are still there.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    This is now confirmed to be a reflection/related to the mirror issue that effects ALL current AMD series 6000 graphics cards and previous 5000 series. Unfortunately despite being an issue for nearly 3 years Maxis and AMD have ignored it.

I can only hope that with more people replacing/upgrading their graphics cards people will make more noise and fix the issue.

This not only effects the Sims 4, but reflected surfaces/mirrors in the Sims 2, Sims 3 and Sims 4.

This is not a problem with previous generations AMD graphics cards however.

To anybody considering upgrading their gpu, do NOT buy a current series AMD if you want reflections to work correctly in the Sims series games until AMD fixes this issue on a driver level.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Reflections-show-backwards-in-mirrors-Radeon-RX-6000-Series/td-p/10125588/page/7