Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For all of you non-Americans here: which American characteristic is most salient to you?

I have noticed that Australians and New Zealanders have a little forum category of their own. So, there are non-Americans here.

For all of you non-Americans here: which American characteristic is most salient to you? 7 votes

Bible Belt and guns.
28%
icmnfrshMintMango13 2 votes
Amusing and entertaining politicians.
0%
Overly dramatic citizens with first-world problems.
14%
Babykittyjade 1 vote
Extremely diverse population, much more diverse than what we have
28%
MyriadSimsBookBear 2 votes
Standard American Diet and diseases of affluence
0%
High level of patriotism and nationalism
0%
The best of the Western world, the center of innovation and job opportunities, where all the money is
0%
American products, goods and services
0%
Hot girls / Hot guys
0%
Other (please explain...)
28%
waterywatermelonAngelEb95 2 votes

Comments

• waterywatermelonwaterywatermelon Posts: 473 Member
    Other (please explain...)
    I am an American, and I just check this box for the Results.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited June 2021
    Overly dramatic citizens with first-world problems.
    I had to look up the world salient lol😅
    I guess technically I'm American now since I live here? but I'm not originally from here.
    And I'm sorry but this really stands out to me in this culture😅 and it's something me and other foreigners I know tend to discuss lol
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I'd rather not discuss my nationality or anything that personal. I will say that I've been fortunate to spend time in several different places. I have a few comments about this subject.

- Overly dramatic citizens with first-world problems - This is true of basically any highly developed country. The more you travel, the more you see how much people have in common even when specific cultural differences arise. I also would not generalize on the subject.
    - Extremely diverse population, much more diverse than what we have - Waves of immigration in many countries mean that diversity is common in many societies. While the US received many immigrants, it was not alone. If you look at countries ranging from Mexico to Colombia to Germany to France or Italy, you will see immigrants from many places. In regions of the former USSR, you see immigration though likely more often to cities or specific project sites.
    - Standard American Diet and diseases of affluence - This has changed a lot and there is less of a standard diet. For a while in the 20th C, mass production and commercialization meant that many people were consuming the same things that were widely distributed. More recently, there is more diversity, more access to creative cooking and a change in eating habits for many. I would guess that many people do not share similar diets anymore.
    - The best of the Western world; This sounds like American exceptionalism. The US is a great country along with many others. The concept of "the West" exists less and less given that the Cold War has long ended. The US continues to be a leader among leaders. Nearly any country has a national story and sense of pride.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.