Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you regard CAS as an artform? Or am I just obsessed?

Comments

• YautjagirlYautjagirl Posts: 351 Member
    edited May 2021
    I am only this detail obsessed with the characters that are made after my own non-sims characters as they need to look as close as possible to how I depict them in my stories and paintings. But with other characters that are made solely in the sims universe I don't really care that much. I just have a general idea of who they are and their look, but I won't go as far as searching specific items or perfecting their looks beside the minimum to have a diverse cast.
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,116 Member
    There is so much variety in the thoughts on CAS here, and that's what makes it interesting--it's definitely not a "one size fits all" situation.

Someone mentioned editing the townies--I am definitely guilty of doing that as well, but I always do it for comedic purposes lol
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited May 2021
    It's truly artwork though. It's like endless possibilities (especially with cc) but even without cc I've seen so many people get creative using only the tools provided. They manipulate the face structure in unique ways for alllllll types of looks, aliens, monsters, disney characters, like... I've seen everything 😅 and I go out of my way to try and find those unique sims.
    and often I just enjoy admiring people's sim!! Another thing I enjoy doing with my sister is challenging her to see who can take a chosen photo of a real person and make them into a sim more accurately.

Funny thing is I have this one sim or 2 actually that I worked on for 2 years. They were never good enough or more so it just wasn't the look I was aiming for. So little by little every once in a while I kept tweaking them. The face, the hair, the makeup, colors etc. Then one day after two years I was like omg!! This is it!! They are a masterpiece!!! And I haven't touched them a day since. Only to change their clothes or hair style and I'm still playing with them since all my sims are immortal.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,446 Member
    Oh yes. I can spend an eternity in CAS if it's a Sim I'm really invested in.

I put thought into color schemes, jewelry textures and luxury/poverty levels, if the personality type would wear an item, what kind of makeup if any, lifestyles, tattoos and scars, and how they wear their hair and accessorize with each category. I tweak facial expressions to fit their personality and experiment with the push/pull adjustments. I've also been known to go back in after playing with a Sim and tweak them a little more or "update" them when new packs offer more appropriate options. It's like a weird, addictive, OCD obsession.

Then, other times, I just want to play around with new features and throw together a Sim for fun to make them a townie and don't give myself a chance to think about it so I make fast choices and quick tweaks. But even this method takes me about half an hour.

Sims 4 CAS is amazing. ❤️
    #Team Occult
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    CAS is a true art tool and I’d happily spend 5 hours on a Sim’s butt.
    Lol I don't think I ever looked much at a sims butt other than to check it's not sticking out too far from side view.

I have absolutely zero patience to put the time and effort into making sims, but maybe I should give it more of a go.

Is anyone willing to take me through the process? (Briefly) I mean, do you make notes/decide everything before you start? Do you have a picture to copy? Do you only make one sim at a time? I'm intrigued.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    Fashion in my opinion is a form of art. With that said, I can spend hours in CAS finding the right look for my sims. I try to match what they wear with their personality or what I assume their personality to be.

Doing the decades challenge has been very challenging for me in what to wear as I want them to wear decade appropriate attire but I also want to reflect the sim at the same time.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    Lol I don't think I ever looked much at a sims butt other than to check it's not sticking out too far from side view.

I have absolutely zero patience to put the time and effort into making sims, but maybe I should give it more of a go.

Is anyone willing to take me through the process? (Briefly) I mean, do you make notes/decide everything before you start? Do you have a picture to copy? Do you only make one sim at a time? I'm intrigued.
    1) No notes, and I usually have a general idea (I may have had an inspiration from a picture, a real person or a character I'd seen somewhere) but most of the stuff I figure out while making a sim. Sim's facial expression can make me feel they are destined to be a teacher. Or a homewrecker. 😂
    2) Yes, I use reference pictures a lot (sometimes I copy, most of the time I make something vaguely similar).
    3) Usually yes, sometimes I make couples; families, especially big ones — rarely, because it's so draining. And sometimes two sims are just genetically incompatible and can't make decent-looking kids. 😅

I don't use notes or pictures, it's all done from whatever vision I have in my head. If I"m creating a household that has more than one person, I'll create them all at once. In fact, if you want them to be related, you have to.

Before creating any Sims, I ask myself "what will their role be? and what personality traits should they have?". Their entire look depends upon these two questions. For example; if I'm creating an angry Sim, I will manipulate things like their mouths and eyes to look angry all the time
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    I love CAS but I'm not too obsessed over it. I have a general idea of what a Sim should look like and I only do some tweaks for the most defining physical features, and then I learn to love my guys the way they are, no need for further plastic surgery. However, playing dress up with the Sims is my favorite part of CAS, I usually pick a defined, unifying color scheme for them across all outfits but I'm also very curious to how my guys would look like in specific outfits.

However, if I'm, like, recreating someone from real life, you bet yourself that I'll have reference pictures at the ready trying to closely replicate the details and having an eye for proportions and whatnot.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    I tend to loosely base a lot of my Sims that I post to the Gallery from the media like Frozen, Harry Potter, etc. I will also sometimes download a Sims from the Gallery, and experiment with them. For example, I made a Elsa, downloaded a Ronald Weasley, and created the family. Then I took their first born, and downloaded other Sims from the Gallery. I did this until I had seven generations, and posted them on the Gallery.
    I did this to add more variety to my Sims in their looks, because I tend to favor one look overall, and it was a good way to play with genes.
    Sims I usually create will have a specific thing I am going for, like I will take a series like Frozen, and make a canon family, a semi-canon family, and a genderbent version. I could fill up my entire save file doing that, so I tend to limit it.
    I am doing the same thing with Harry Potter at the moment as well.
    I also make some Sims based on different series I like as well.
    One thing I plan to do is due to rereading some comics, and the comics had the characters, and their canon genderbent versions, and alternate universe/dopplegangers. I plan to create Sims versions of the canon characters, and their counterparts with them.
    Other times, I just randomly make a Sim, and if I like them enough, I will post them.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    yes of course its art
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    I am so addicted to making sims as well. I think that is probably why i have many households now. I just cannot resist the urge to make new sims haha! But, it can be very frustrating because i have developed this obssession with making each of my sims look different from the other ones. Sometimes, i would spend some time making a new sim only to end up unhappy with the result because i ended up, from my point of view, making a sim that might resemble another.
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    CAS is too hard to use. I use pre-makes. Let someone else do the work.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Do you fret about every detail of your Sim's appearance?

Yup.. I'm so much of a perfectionist that I can't start playing with a household until I have a sim that looks *exactly* right. Sometimes I just go weeks without playing as I don't have a sim that works
  • eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    There is so much variety in the thoughts on CAS here, and that's what makes it interesting--it's definitely not a "one size fits all" situation.

Someone mentioned editing the townies--I am definitely guilty of doing that as well, but I always do it for comedic purposes lol

I like to edit the townies/pre-mades to fit a different aesthetic sometimes. For example in one save I had, I turned the BFF household into 80's sims and made them professional bowlers. I turned Erwin from StrangerVille into a hippy and gave him a groovy trailer in StrangerVille.
  • g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,028 Member
    Do you fret about every detail of your Sim's appearance? Or is close good enough? There's no right answer here btw, it's all about your preference.

I have to admit that I obsess, and my mind's eye must be replicated in CAS. Every single facial feature must be manipulated, stuff that some wouldn't even think of changing. Body proportions must be correct, and all of those proportions are different based on character. The walk, the voice...all of it must be correct. And if I"m not satisfied with it in gameplay, I'll go back and change it.

Are you the same way? Or do I just need to get a life? lol

I consider The Sims as a creative tool used by many interested in various art forms like:

Character design
    Makeup artistry
    Hair styling
    Fashion styling
    Fashion design
    Furniture design
    Architecture
    Interior decorating
    Interior design
    Landscaping
    Set design
    Textile design
    Photography
    Movie making
    Story telling

I guess you enjoy character designing. I’m more interested in fashion and interior designing, but my sims still need to look attractive to me so I obsess over their face, body, wardrobe and home. I don’t spend that much time on their traits an other stuff.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I've made a lot of sims and edited most of the townies. I'm pretty detailed but I kind of have two tracks with sims. On the one hand, I might quickly make over or create townies in a few minutes. On the other, I might spend a lot of time making more detailed sims.

For sims I create from scratch, I tend to start with a briefing and then I view CAS as a casting session. I flip through the randomizer to find a base but sometimes I'll change that base a lot if I have a specific plan for a sim. If it's a quick make over then I'll just tweak the sim until everything clicks. They all have back stories, but a townie's might be two sentences. A more involved sim might have more of a back story.

I guess I look for interesting sims or strong characters. When it all comes together, they just look right. I can always go back and swap out outfits later but I generally avoid other plastic surgery aside from occasional lipo if they get into too much cake.

When I make a sim and have the central theme or story then I'll usually add a lot of detail if it's a sim that I will play a lot. More recently, I play more with born-in-game sims. I'll make over their hair and clothes but I avoid too much plastic surgery for them.

When a sim is interesting and grows on me then I want to play them. Sometimes what might seem like boring details about them make them more interesting.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,255 Member
    I'm a CAS fiend. I don't have any talent building, so that's where I tend to spend my time. I literally spend hours in CAS giving makeovers to all the townies. lol
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
    Missmagoo2 wrote: »
    I'm a CAS fiend. I don't have any talent building, so that's where I tend to spend my time. I literally spend hours in CAS giving makeovers to all the townies. lol

Haha, same here!
  • Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,255 Member
    Missmagoo2 wrote: »

Haha, same here!

I have to turn culling off to save my sanity. If I didn't, I'd never get to play the game. :D
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited June 2021
    I would say I'm the same way. So I write stories, and I use the sims to help develop the story, the characters, their relationships and the world around them and play around with it. Everything has to be correct, or at least somewhat how I envisioned them. If they don't look the part, they never make it out of CAS, I scrap them, or save them to my Personal Gallery to work on them later.

Now I Basically Just use my Simself, Copy him, and morph him into other character. But it's crazy how much Changes I put my simself through.
    Literally all my sims are cut from the same cloth. Me, My Simself and I.

Other times I endlessly use the randomizer until I get something I can work with.
    Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member
    It is. I know people who have nearly 3000 hours in Black Desert Online and have never once played the game. They just make characters.
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,141 Member
    edited May 2021
    No, I'm a builder, usually I do the minimum of CAS until I'm okay with the Sim, I delete all glasses, hats and jewelry, correct the strange outfits and hairstyles, sometimes I change the skin color in a few cases too, it depends on the story. In the decade challenges, I stucked more in the cas a I wanted and it has annoyed really with the time, it's a pity that the game doesn't support this kind of challenge.
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    Mareah wrote: »
    I am so addicted to making sims as well. I think that is probably why i have many households now. I just cannot resist the urge to make new sims haha! But, it can be very frustrating because i have developed this obssession with making each of my sims look different from the other ones. Sometimes, i would spend some time making a new sim only to end up unhappy with the result because i ended up, from my point of view, making a sim that might resemble another.
    Oh yes, same. I think I might have a slight phobia of falling into a pit of sameface. That's why I always start from scratch and never use my sims as a template for other sims (unless they are meant to be relatives). But sometimes it doesn't help 💀

• ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    edited May 2021
    Some people regards handful of tea leaves as a tool for expressing art. Why CAS can't be used as one?
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.