Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does "Original Creator" appear anymore?

This might be petty of me, since downloads don't benefit me at all IRL, but:
Does the gallery show who the original creators are anymore? I see a bunch of my creations being uploaded, most with me tagged/or with permission, and others... just re-uploaded. But, none of them have me listed as the original creator. Again, it's not a big deal and doesn't affect me at all... but I do work very hard and would like EA/Maxis to tag me. lol

This person kept my original tags, so I was able to find it. But I'm not listed as OP.
xfjowsi.png
Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/

Comments

• Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,408 Member
    I was under the impression that the origin creator only appears on lots, not on households.
  • Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,254 Member
    edited May 2021
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I was under the impression that the origin creator only appears on lots, not on households.

I don't make lots, so I'm not sure. But when I reupload my own stuff to origin, it tags me as the original.
    It's from 2018, so maybe they just don't do it anymore...
    4tmOZPV.png
    O(≧▽≦)O

• MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    edited May 2021
    I'm not sure if it's changed since the recent update (ie yesterday) but I know a few days ago when I had downloaded a base sim and saved her to my library (didn't upload her or anything) it still listed the orginal creator, and then me above them.

I can try and check things out if you'd like. But my guess would be maybe they downloaded your household, and then reuploaded it as a brand new household to get rid of the "orginal by?"

But I'm not sure, that's just a theory.
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    It shows the original creator when you add a sim to CAS with "replace" button. As soon as you pick "merge", original creator disappears.
    And yeah it's a bit disappointing, I sometimes see people reuploading my sims too.
    With lots it's harder to get rid of an "original by" tag, I think.
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    And no, I don't think its petty of you at all to be honest.

Regardless if the downloads affect you or not, someone is still taking credit for your work that you put time and effort in. So you have every right to be upset. I flag every obivously plagerized household I see on the gallery.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,408 Member
    somewhsome wrote: »
    It shows the original creator when you add a sim to CAS with "replace" button. As soon as you pick "merge", original creator disappears.
    And yeah it's a bit disappointing, I sometimes see people reuploading my sims too.

Good to know that there is a difference between replace and merge when it comes to the creator. I usually merge households but will start using replace if I intend to upload them to the gallery.
    somewhsome wrote: »

Dang! That's probably why I don't see it anymore. People are merging and getting rid of my tag. Luckily, they don't seem to bother with removing my hashtags where I put my name. lol
    O(≧▽≦)O

• Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 877 Member
    I have seen the original creator on some of the households, and I have seen some of the households reuploaded with a different creator at times too.
    I have merged families with Sims I wanted to create, but I usually let people know that most of the merged Sims came from the Gallery.
    Also, I should really keep track of the Sims I download, so I can properly list the original creator instead of saying downloaded from the Gallery.
    I have also done searches where the original creator posted a family with CC, and another person reposting the same family without the CC. The difference is the CC was to make elves, and without CC it is just a family in their underwear.
    Umbreon12 wrote: »
    I have seen the original creator on some of the households, and I have seen some of the households reuploaded with a different creator at times too.
    I have merged families with Sims I wanted to create, but I usually let people know that most of the merged Sims came from the Gallery.
    Also, I should really keep track of the Sims I download, so I can properly list the original creator instead of saying downloaded from the Gallery.
    I have also done searches where the original creator posted a family with CC, and another person reposting the same family without the CC. The difference is the CC was to make elves, and without CC it is just a family in their underwear.

I do mostly use CC, so I thought maybe that was the reason. But, my old content without CC is re-uploaded from other people and I'm not listed either. So who knows. e_e
    O(≧▽≦)O

Missmagoo2 wrote: »

I do mostly use CC, so I thought maybe that was the reason. But, my old content without CC is re-uploaded from other people and I'm not listed either. So who knows. e_e
    I wonder if CC is a factor, I had one family that I put CC hair on, and I can see the CC families on my PC, but CC stuff doesn't show up on the PS4. (I have both, but I have the base game on the PC, and almost the whole game on the PS4.) I think CC does get pushed down, or it could be what people are looking for. I had a family that only had one person with CC hair, and it was or a book series, I have not been able to really find them after posting them. There are so many people posting that I feel that the older stuff gets pushed down.
    Also, I've seen a ton of reuploads of the same thing that I see the original getting pushed down.
    it may also be the name you gave the family, or tags you use. I have multiple Frozen based Sims, but only one is listed as Frozen, and the rest are under the kingdoms name, only the Frozen one still shows up. My other families are still listed, though.
    So, I don't know what is going on in the Gallery, and why some things are easier to find, while others aren't easy to find.

I wonder if CC is a factor, I had one family that I put CC hair on, and I can see the CC families on my PC, but CC stuff doesn't show up on the PS4. (I have both, but I have the base game on the PC, and almost the whole game on the PS4.) I think CC does get pushed down, or it could be what people are looking for. I had a family that only had one person with CC hair, and it was or a book series, I have not been able to really find them after posting them. There are so many people posting that I feel that the older stuff gets pushed down.
    Also, I've seen a ton of reuploads of the same thing that I see the original getting pushed down.
    it may also be the name you gave the family, or tags you use. I have multiple Frozen based Sims, but only one is listed as Frozen, and the rest are under the kingdoms name, only the Frozen one still shows up. My other families are still listed, though.
    So, I don't know what is going on in the Gallery, and why some things are easier to find, while others aren't easy to find.

The gallery is a MESS, that's for sure. It should be easier to find our own stuff and easier to narrow down our searches.
    O(≧▽≦)O

• KARRKITTKARRKITT Posts: 261 Member
    Hello. Looks like it has left a long time ago unfortunately. Btw, I am KionScar on the gallery and do not intentionally reupload from others, but sometimes with breeding you can get an almost near identical dog even with the same painted coat for example. Had that happen once from two dog parents that weren't similar to each other. The offspring looked like a clone of one of the parents, except for just a teeny bit of difference with the build.

The gallery is a MESS, that's for sure. It should be easier to find our own stuff and easier to narrow down our searches.
    I also don't use hashtags on my stuff. I few popped up with downloaded Sims I made, which I kept, but that may be part of why it gets buried. Also, it may depend on popularity of the design and creator too. I do get quite a few downloads when I first post, but after a couple days, it seems that my families get buried.

KARRKITT wrote: »
    Hello. Looks like it has left a long time ago unfortunately. Btw, I am KionScar on the gallery and do not intentionally reupload from others, but sometimes with breeding you can get an almost near identical dog even with the same painted coat for example. Had that happen once from two dog parents that weren't similar to each other. The offspring looked like a clone of one of the parents, except for just a teeny bit of difference with the build.

I downloaded a Link Wolf, and a kitsune(fox) from the Gallery. I either got miniature versions of the Link Wolf in fox form, or the large dog version of the kitsune.
    I bred the two of them twice in one save file, and once in another file. Even though most ended up being clones, I did get interesting varieties. One daughter looked just like the Link Wolf with her mother's eye color, and some mixed like that too.
    The only versions I posted were the first Link Wolf and kitsune litter I had when I first bred them, and the second family was taking one of their offspring with a near twin from the second experiment litter. The pair's first babies had the base colors of the Link Wolf, while the rest of their offspring carry their looks.
    I feel that one a pet is an actual breed, it is kind of hard to make them look different, but fantasy pets can actually pass their markings on to their offspring, or their offspring can inherit just the base colors without the markings. So, it adds some variety, even if cloning does occur.

I also don't use hashtags on my stuff. I few popped up with downloaded Sims I made, which I kept, but that may be part of why it gets buried. Also, it may depend on popularity of the design and creator too. I do get quite a few downloads when I first post, but after a couple days, it seems that my families get buried.

Since I work with CC, now, I don't get too many downloads. So I can't really say if it gets buried or not since typically CC doesn't get downloaded too often. I'm honestly not sure how most people find my stuff, since most of it is not on the front page. Luckily I do use tags, and put my username just in case.
    O(≧▽≦)O

• SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @Missmagoo2

I don't think it's petty of you at all to want to be shown as the original creator for either a lot or a sim however I don't understand the gallery very well as S4 is not my preferred game but I do play on occasion where I obviously download creator works from the gallery to play in my game and where it is shown as some other creator name other than the original creator I go find the original creator and download their work instead as I don't intentionally want to download any content that another player may have uploaded as their own when it's not but I confess to not understanding the gallery process very well.

For example I will download an original creator lot and then change it to suit my game needs and save it to my own library so I can save the tray files using sims 4 tray importer as a backup if I need to start a new game but I also record the original creator name in the save at the time should I need to go searching for the lot again in the gallery if something goes wrong with the tray files however I thought when I do this the changes just go into my own library and not the public gallery? someone please correct me if I am wrong.

With sims I often download single sims that i like the look of and save every one of them singly with the creator name for the same reasons described above with lots and then when I have merged a household of sims from single sims (roomies for example) I save them in cas as a group of sims to save the tray files of the sims as a group but I still keep the original creator names of each sim creator. From what I am reading on this thread is that when players save the way I do with a group of sims the original sim creator details can be lost which can be deliberate or just someone like me who is simply saving a backup of sims?

I would genuinely like to know how this works because I would hate to think it looked like I was stealing someone's work/creativity when I am most definitely not...
    I have a username as well, but not the same as the one I use on here, and my PC and PS4 are under different names, but linked to the same account. I don't use hashtags, and I heard CC gets buried.
    I think I have at least 23 shared families at the moment, and some of my families have four downloads, my most popular one at the moment is my Fruits Basket family.
    It may be due to having most of my families based on series, which may be the reason why it isn't downloaded as much.
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    @Missmagoo2

I don't think it's petty of you at all to want to be shown as the original creator for either a lot or a sim however I don't understand the gallery very well as S4 is not my preferred game but I do play on occasion where I obviously download creator works from the gallery to play in my game and where it is shown as some other creator name other than the original creator I go find the original creator and download their work instead as I don't intentionally want to download any content that another player may have uploaded as their own when it's not but I confess to not understanding the gallery process very well.

For example I will download an original creator lot and then change it to suit my game needs and save it to my own library so I can save the tray files using sims 4 tray importer as a backup if I need to start a new game but I also record the original creator name in the save at the time should I need to go searching for the lot again in the gallery if something goes wrong with the tray files however I thought when I do this the changes just go into my own library and not the public gallery? someone please correct me if I am wrong.

With sims I often download single sims that i like the look of and save every one of them singly with the creator name for the same reasons described above with lots and then when I have merged a household of sims from single sims (roomies for example) I save them in cas as a group of sims to save the tray files of the sims as a group but I still keep the original creator names of each sim creator. From what I am reading on this thread is that when players save the way I do with a group of sims the original sim creator details can be lost which can be deliberate or just someone like me who is simply saving a backup of sims?

I would genuinely like to know how this works because I would hate to think it looked like I was stealing someone's work/creativity when I am most definitely not...

I upload my creations to the gallery so that anyone who likes it can download it into their game and enjoy! I don't have any problems with that. I also encourage anyone who gives my sims a "makeover" and uploads it to the gallery to tag me. That way they get credit for the makeover and I get credit for the original sim. This is made easier when Maxis automatically puts me for the "Original By" tag. However, this only rarely happens. The person who downloads my sim has to choose "replace" instead of "merge" in order for it to appear as mine. If they use "merge", it will consider my sim their own creation when uploaded to the gallery.
    The ones that I've noticed on the gallery are blatantly mine, but they did not tag me nor did I get the automatic "Original By" tag. So, there is no way for anyone to know that I did the work and they just took credit.
    O(≧▽≦)O

I have a username as well, but not the same as the one I use on here, and my PC and PS4 are under different names, but linked to the same account. I don't use hashtags, and I heard CC gets buried.
    I think I have at least 23 shared families at the moment, and some of my families have four downloads, my most popular one at the moment is my Fruits Basket family.
    It may be due to having most of my families based on series, which may be the reason why it isn't downloaded as much.

I guess it really just depends. I have a few CC content that do better than others, but not as popular as when I did vanilla content. I guess if I wanted more downloads for my CC I should switch to Maxis Match instead of alpha. But, I like alpha too much to change. lol
    O(≧▽≦)O

@Missmagoo2

Just to clarify if you don't mind. If I merge one of your sims into a group of sims then go into cas and save that group does that sim group just go into my own personal gallery? If not this obviously means they get uploaded as a sim group to the public gallery again? (which I have not been aware of) but if this is what actually happens I would give credit for the sims I have used on the public gallery that got reuploaded due to my group save. I hope my question makes sense. If this is where your original creator tag gets lost maybe it's time for EA to think of a better solution on this for creators like yourself.
    edited May 2021
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    @Missmagoo2

Just to clarify if you don't mind. If I merge one of your sims into a group of sims then go into cas and save that group does that sim group just go into my own personal gallery? If not this obviously means they get uploaded as a sim group to the public gallery again? (which I have not been aware of) but if this is what actually happens I would give credit for the sims I have used on the public gallery that got reuploaded due to my group save. I hope my question makes sense. If this is where your original creator tag gets lost maybe it's time for EA to think of a better solution on this for creators like yourself.

It will only happen if you choose to upload it back to the gallery after downloading and merging. If you're just using it for your own game, it will only stay with your personal gallery.
    So, my upset is towards those who choose to re-upload to the gallery and take credit for my work.
    O(≧▽≦)O

@Missmagoo2

Thank you so much for that extra information. I feel better because I was worried I could have done something wrong unwittingly regards this topic so I am relieved to know that I have not..

I honestly think the only way to go on this one is to try and get a better system to work from EA themselves as I doubt something like a mod would fix this either. I am big supporter of creators work and making sure they get credit so if there is anything you feel I can help further with regarding this issue please let me know..