Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I love the new patch update

I love how they have taken back likes and dislikes 😂 makes the game more realistic 😊

Comments

• Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    I just had a sim without the creative trait gain fun while painting because she likes painting! Strange to be so happy about such a little detail.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Are there other likes and dislikes that are not about painting,writing, jogging/working out, cooking etc.?
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Are there other likes and dislikes that are not about painting,writing, jogging/working out, cooking etc.?

You can have likes and dislikes for colors, music and activities. Activities include several skills, though not all. Knitting, archaeology, herbalism and some others are missing. I assume all activities will make your sim happy when doing an activity they like or tense when doing something they hate. I also like that sims can gain likes and dislikes for activities through gameplay.
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    Likes and dislikes look like they took everything that they were going for with the Lifestyles system last fall, but they took away everything that made Lifestyles annoying and just left in the tasty candy centre of having a sim's in-game behavior affect their personality.

Lifestyles were too easy to trigger, massively unbalanced, and didn't provide a means of "hey, I'm just skilling up a sim here, I'm not trying to fundamentally change who they are as a person, game, back off!" the way Likes and Dislikes allow for that.

Sometimes my sims are writing because they want to get skill points and for no other reason—they don't like writing, they like never having to eat, sleep, or poop again in their lives.

But for some of my sims, yes, they DO love writing! And yes, game, I'm glad you're letting me acknowledge that for them rather than having to make them stop and play a video game for 15 minutes of in-game time because the one bar you can't freeze in place with a reward perk drops sometimes!
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    My understanding is that likes/dislikes will be there for most packs, and I thought this would include skills such as knitting. My guess (and hope) is they just did not get to add this to all packs yet, but that it might get patched in later.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • YautjagirlYautjagirl Posts: 351 Member
    edited May 2021
    I really hope they will patch the missing ones soon, but I also already saw modders working on favorite meals and tv channels. I am very exicted for this new possibility to personalize our sims :heart:
  • grassharpgrassharp Posts: 70 Member
    Likes and dislikes look like they took everything that they were going for with the Lifestyles system last fall, but they took away everything that made Lifestyles annoying and just left in the tasty candy centre of having a sim's in-game behavior affect their personality.

Lifestyles were too easy to trigger, massively unbalanced, and didn't provide a means of "hey, I'm just skilling up a sim here, I'm not trying to fundamentally change who they are as a person, game, back off!" the way Likes and Dislikes allow for that.

Agreed. Just because my sim goes to work everyday doesn't mean they're a workaholic. I really love the concept of lifestyles & will sometimes just cheat to add the ones I want my sims to have, but it can be frustrating when they get assigned one just for performing normal everyday tasks.

• mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    grassharp wrote: »

Agreed. Just because my sim goes to work everyday doesn't mean they're a workaholic. I really love the concept of lifestyles & will sometimes just cheat to add the ones I want my sims to have, but it can be frustrating when they get assigned one just for performing normal everyday tasks.
    I haven't had my sims gain workaholic yet. There are a couple who are close to getting it but they're resposible which means they autonomously work hard every day. Are you sure your sims are not working hard?
  • grassharpgrassharp Posts: 70 Member
    musteni wrote: »
    I haven't had my sims gain workaholic yet. There are a couple who are close to getting it but they're responsible which means they autonomously work hard every day. Are you sure your sims are not working hard?

I guess it's possible--I do like them to be in the correct mood for their job and will occasionally bump them to "work hard" if they're close to a promotion. :o See, here I am blaming the game & the problem all along was meeee. :smiley:
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited May 2021
    I know I'm like it's about time... I can't wait for more Favorites.
    Like eating certain Foods Grants your sim more satisfaction.
    Reading certain books. Watching certain Movies

Spellcasters, autominously using their favorite spells to overcome everyday obstacles.
    I love having my spellcaster objectify the paparazzi, and other annoying NPCs/Townies who dare think they are worthy of approaching him. I can't wait for him to do it of his own whim.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    grassharp wrote: »
    musteni wrote: »
    I haven't had my sims gain workaholic yet. There are a couple who are close to getting it but they're responsible which means they autonomously work hard every day. Are you sure your sims are not working hard?

I guess it's possible--I do like them to be in the correct mood for their job and will occasionally bump them to "work hard" if they're close to a promotion. :o See, here I am blaming the game & the problem all along was meeee. :smiley:

Hey, who hasn't worked a little harder than usual when they were gunning for a promotion? That's how lazy people get ahead in the world!
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I'm happy for this system. I haven't had chance to play with it yet. I'm still waiting on mod updates. I really hope they will add in favourite foods and all the missing hobbies such a knitting in a future update.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I have just gotten a pop-up asking me if one of my sims liked mixology. But I’m not playing him right now. He’s visiting the household I’m playing, so I thought that was interesting! It totally threw me off.

I’m impressed with the update so far, will be thrilled to get the activities expanded. I have lots of knitters and amateur florists.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    Played one of my favourite families for a sim week and I've discovered: Goofball trait + Dislikes Mischief = Happy Toilets! For this alone, I LOVE the new likes & dislikes system. My Goofball has not pranked their own toilets even once!
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    Played one of my favourite families for a sim week and I've discovered: Goofball trait + Dislikes Mischief = Happy Toilets! For this alone, I LOVE the new likes & dislikes system. My Goofball has not pranked their own toilets even once!

That's good to know.
    I have a Goofball sim that is a comedian, but she shouldn't go around pranking people.
    She just wants to spread humor, not humiliation.

I need to test this. :)
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited May 2021
    I love how you can create annoying habits now, for example you can have one sim who loves playing music on the violin, and another sim who hates the violin. That sim will then get annoyed whenever they hear the violin rather than just being like "nice music!" every time. That adds a lot of realism for me, because in real life if you lived with someone who was playing constantly you'd probably get p---ed as well and wouldn't be happy to hear the violin every time you heard it.

I've found there is some issues though, namely that the weighting is too low. If you were in a room with music you hate, and a nice painting, you probably wouldn't be focused on the painting, you'd be annoyed as you hate that noise. That's a much more overriding emotion than a painting being pretty, so I'd put it as a +7 tense rather than +1.

Also found some bugs with instrument dislikes, my sim got a -1 buff because he hated the instrument playing, and then got a +2 happy buff at that exact same time because that same instrument was playing...
    CK213 wrote: »

That's good to know.
    I have a Goofball sim that is a comedian, but she shouldn't go around pranking people.

Please do! I played with full autonomy on and watched him like a hawk. It looked a few times like an action came up in his queue, just to vanish again before it could manifest. I also have to check if it works when I don't play the household actively, but that's a lesser concern. I mainly don't wish for him to prank his own toilets.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required

we all try ...
  • lexibeelexibee Posts: 163 Member
    This update is DEFINITELY a step in the right direction. Sims desperately need things that autonomously make them act differently than each other.

Unfortunately I'm not sure how well it's been implemented? While playing last night I noticed that sims I gave the "hates dancing" dislike to kept dancing anyway and got tense about it? Like stop dancing, why are you dancing? They would also autonomously dance to music they hated too (child sim was listening to music they liked and grandma who hated the station kept autonomously dancing to it and getting upset. Then dad who hated dancing kept coming over to dance too. It was a mess).

I'm gonna cut the sims team some slack since this is a new update and I'm sure has a lot to iron out still, but I'm gonna need stuff like this fixed in future updates...

ALSO child sims need more activities they can like/dislike. Child sims can't like drawing/painting? Really?? I have a few artsy kids, I kinda need a like option for that, since all they have at the moment that is even slightly artsy is "singing"... But not all of my kids who like to draw also like to sing... Just kinda goes to show low limited the child stage really is in this game...

Good to know. I have been avoiding the goofball trait since the trait update. Now I will play goof balls again.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I hope all the other hobbies in game get added to the likes/dislikes system... there are just a small bunch of them.

For what i've noticed yesterday, likes raise fun which is really great. I still haven't sent one of my sims to do something they dislike, so no idea what it does.

But it's cool cause it adds depth... i can have a painter that loves painting and has fun while doing it, and that guy that paints for money but hates it or simply doesn't like it so much...
  • OutlawWomanOutlawWoman Posts: 156 Member
    edited May 2021
    CK213 wrote: »

That's good to know.

Please do! I played with full autonomy on and watched him like a hawk. It looked a few times like an action came up in his queue, just to vanish again before it could manifest. I also have to check if it works when I don't play the household actively, but that's a lesser concern. I mainly don't wish for him to prank his own toilets.

Awesome. I can start playing the Jangs again. They're my favorite premade family, but Baako and Billie are both Goofballs. Haven't played them or invited them over to other Sims' homes in forever because of the toilet thing. :lol:

*Edited for typo
  • rhaliusrhalius Posts: 455 Member
    It's a nice update, I only really use it for dislikes though since by default all sims seem to like everything and have no personality of their own no matter what traits you give them because traits do next to nothing.

Finally we can get someone meant to be an old fashioned grumpy old lady to stop playing video games and dancing.

We need more than 20 though, I don't see why there should be a limit. Let sims dislike everything if you want to make a real grouch, or have a very specific taste. Like only liking one type of music and hating everything else.

Could be expanded to meals too, and way more activities. Please allow us to have sims hate computers, whenever I have a big household and one sim is a writer I always have to beat several other sims away from the computer to have that one sim use it.
  • PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    I actually haven't played the Sims 4 in the last 11 months, but when I heard about this update I immediately updated my game, loaded an old save and started choosing likes and dislikes for the sims. It made me excited for the game again!
  • SuperCoolRachaelSuperCoolRachael Posts: 392 Member
    I tried Likes and Dislikes, and I really love it! But unfortunately, for the challenge I'm doing, it's waaaaay too powerful. I had to remove everyone's preferences. I'll definitely revisit it, though, and I love that it's optional!
    The likes & dislikes feature is a major step towards making Sims feel more unique, a tool to fine-tune their personalities. They just need to expand on it further, add to existing categories (like hobbies) and add new categories (like food or TV channels).

we all try ...