The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How I wish to see CAS Expanded

I really wish that we could set any attribute of our sims directly in CAS, things like skills, careers, starting funds, fame level, reputation, character value traits, lifestyles, degrees, perhaps even relationship levels and sentiments between household members. To avoid making it cheaty perhaps make it an optional feature, but I think adding the ability to directly apply these factors in CAS would help make much more interesting sims and households right from CAS instead of waiting for them to become more interesting in gameplay.

Comments

• ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited May 2021
    filipomel wrote: »
    I really wish that we could set any attribute of our sims directly in CAS, things like skills, careers, starting funds, fame level, reputation, character value traits, lifestyles, degrees, perhaps even relationship levels and sentiments between household members. To avoid making it cheaty perhaps make it an optional feature, but I think adding the ability to directly apply these factors in CAS would help make much more interesting sims and households right from CAS instead of waiting for them to become more interesting in gameplay.
    I like the idea a lot. 😎👍.
    Character value traits and lifestyles I like most.

I would also like more relationship options. Plus the ability to add family members further down the line. (Making the Weasley family is hard as there’s 9 of them so 1 of them has to be left out.)

The challenge would be the look of CAS so it doesn’t look cluttered.
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    I would like to see most of these added, it would really let you establish things about sims - like adults - who have reached a point where those elements should already be set.

Also, if we're talking about optional CAS features, I wish they would let you toggle in the settings whether you want to create a sim's story (currently it's the default). I never ever use it and it's a chore sitting through the screen just to click "no", where I used to be able to just get right to my sim-making.
  • AmeliaToddAmeliaTodd Posts: 226 Member
    edited May 2021
    bizuktag wrote: »
    Also, if we're talking about optional CAS features, I wish they would let you toggle in the settings whether you want to create a sim's story (currently it's the default). I never ever use it and it's a chore sitting through the screen just to click "no", where I used to be able to just get right to my sim-making.

Isn't there an option to do that? Just click on "no, thanks" and you don't need to sit through any screen and just create your sim however you like as it was before this feature was introduced. Or do you mean something else?

M3MOSfr.jpg

• somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    AmeliaTodd wrote: »
    bizuktag wrote: »

Isn't there an option to do that? Just click on "no, thanks" and you don't need to sit through any screen and just create your sim however you like as it was before this feature was introduced. Or do you mean something else?

M3MOSfr.jpg

I think they meant an option to disable this pop-up for good. I would want that too.
    But I've noticed it happens only when you start a new game. In existing saves game lets you go straight to creating sims, so I just do that (I have a special Create-A-Sim save with my "custom" skintones and makeup saved).

@filipomel I love your ideas! I always make skilled sims and use them later as townies in my saves, so I have to cheat their skills and careers and that can be tedious. Assigning them skills in CAS would be much easier.
  • AmeliaToddAmeliaTodd Posts: 226 Member
    somewhsome wrote: »
    I think they meant an option to disable this pop-up for good. I would want that too.
    But I've noticed it happens only when you start a new game. In existing saves game lets you go straight to creating sims, so I just do that (I have a special Create-A-Sim save with my "custom" skintones and makeup saved).

Oh! Yes, it only happens when you start a new game. Maybe this screen also loads slower for other people, I don't need to wait for it to load on my pc, so it never really bothered me. While it's not the most elegant solution I think they made it this way so that people are more aware of this option. For example it took me a while to realize that the sims have whims, because they are disabled by default, then I saw some random loading screen talking about them (barely had time to read it, because it vanished too fast) and found that I need to go to options to enable them.
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    somewhsome wrote: »

Oh! Yes, it only happens when you start a new game. Maybe this screen also loads slower for other people, I don't need to wait for it to load on my pc, so it never really bothered me. While it's not the most elegant solution I think they made it this way so that people are more aware of this option. For example it took me a while to realize that the sims have whims, because they are disabled by default, then I saw some random loading screen talking about them (barely had time to read it, because it vanished too fast) and found that I need to go to options to enable them.

I don't think this option should be disabled by default (I will never understand why they did it with whims!), but a toggle would be nice, I think. I'm not that bothered though since I discovered I can use old saves for that. :)
  • ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    Well there’s a reason why it seems “cheaty”, because it is cheating. What you’re talking about is eliminating the already minimal gameplay. The “option” you’re asking for is already there, just turn on the cheats...
  • bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    Maybe this screen also loads slower for other people, I don't need to wait for it to load on my pc, so it never really bothered me. While it's not the most elegant solution I think they made it this way so that people are more aware of this option. For example it took me a while to realize that the sims have whims, because they are disabled by default, then I saw some random loading screen talking about them (barely had time to read it, because it vanished too fast) and found that I need to go to options to enable them.

Yeah, I just wanted a toggle to disable that screen. I don't mind it being the default behavior for everyone, but I'd love an "opt out" toggle in the options so I could turn it off. I make CC, so I'm often jumping in and out of CAS to test how something looks and it slows down that process for me!

Similarly, I'd love a toggle so I could say that I always want to have "include custom content" checked by default so I don't have to tick it every time I go into my library. I'm amazed that after all this time, that's not something they've thought to add in a game that has so much custom content available.

@somewhsome Thanks for the tip about the loaded game vs new game! I didn't realize that, actually. Like I said, I'll go into CAS a lot to test how my CC is looking so having to load a game doesn't necessarily speed up the process that much, but it's good to know in case I want to start doing that. Thank you! :smiley:
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited May 2021

I would also like more relationship options. Plus the ability to add family members further down the line. (Making the Weasley family is hard as there’s 9 of them so 1 of them has to be left out.)

You've probably realized this, but what I tend to do is make the eight in CAS, split the family in live mode, and go back into CAS with the essential family members and make the 9th. That way they can at least be on the same family tree even if I cannot play them all at once.

(Speaking of desired features, I'd love 10 family slots. Oh, and saved outfits in CAS.)
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »

You've probably realized this, but what I tend to do is make the eight in CAS, split the family in live mode, and go back into CAS with the essential family members and make the 9th. That way they can at least be on the same family tree even if I cannot play them all at once.

(Speaking of desired features, I'd love 10 family slots. Oh, and saved outfits in CAS.)

That’s a great idea 💡. Thanks! 👍😎

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • EliteGirlEliteGirl Posts: 537 Member
    edited May 2021

I agree that the Create A Sim looks cluttered and hard to find body types that I want my sims to have.I just think adding funds, careers, degrees as well as skills, fame and reputation would clutter the Create a Sim. And I don’t want the Create A Sim to be even more cluttered. Just my opinion, though.
  • g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,028 Member

I’ve been wanting this too. I want a quick way to set up all sims in all worlds and then just play my main households. It takes way too much work now to set them all up because I need to either play each household or enter a bunch of cheats and we aren’t even given a list of cheats.

I want an easy way to create the butcher, the baker, and the candlestick maker for my game because I want full employment. Every sim needs to be a contributing member of society.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    g01denswan wrote: »

I’ve been wanting this too. I want a quick way to set up all sims in all worlds and then just play my main households. It takes way too much work now to set them all up because I need to either play each household or enter a bunch of cheats and we aren’t even given a list of cheats.

I want an easy way to create the butcher, the baker, and the candlestick maker for my game because I want full employment. Every sim needs to be a contributing member of society.

Exactly this. I want it mainly for my unplayed households so they have more substance as characters I encounter in the world. Right now I need to use cheats and mods to set sims up the way I like them to be and that gets tedious. I have no problem obtaining these attributes for my sims through gameplay, but sims outside my active household don't tend to develop any of these attributes when not played.
  • g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,028 Member
    ddd994 wrote: »
    Well there’s a reason why it seems “cheaty”, because it is cheating. What you’re talking about is eliminating the already minimal gameplay. The “option” you’re asking for is already there, just turn on the cheats...

I don’t think it’s cheating at all since I don’t play just to level up. If I want a level up game, I would be playing something else.

I also think there is plenty of game play. I may not like some of the game play, but it’s still there.