Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I love the new "likes & dislikes" system, but...

ForgeronForgeron Posts: 272 Member
edited May 2021 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
hsvtkpUKzRLBOMN-800x450-noPad.jpg?1622067367
As a community, we need to be organized and precise if we wan't something. I loved the sentiments, I'm loving the idea of the likes & dislikes, but no matter the subject... if they add proper memories, or gossip, or attraction... Its always going to be overpowered by the emotions system. Its a waste of time for us to be askign for all of thsoe things when the base of it all isn't working as intended. And yes, they can say its not broken and doesn't need fixing, but I DOUBT they intended this system to work like this and obstructing everything else that is added to the game.
I haven't seen any influencers, cc creator or simmer takign the charge and leading us to the change, and I don't know if I have the ability or knowledge to make it work, but I'm the one that decided I won't be heard anymore. If you want to be heard, join me in this petition and lets make this game change for good.
In less than a year lilsimsie influenced them to add names to cowplants, the same happened to plumbella and Bonehilda. As much as I love those things, you're not seeing the power you have to make this game good. In less than six months the black lives matter movement forced the sims team to hear a major complaint from the black simmer community and fixed the skin tones, and thats what I'm talking about. I don't want emotions to be fixed next year or 2 years from now, I wan't it NOW and i NEED it now before I give up on this game AGAIN and go on hiatus again. I never had those "phases" in SIms 2 and 3 and I think the emotions system overpowering everything is the reason why.
Here is a petition I created: http://chng.it/yyyynVhPPf
And I also want to start a hashtag #FixEmotionsEqualsFixingSims4
And for our voices to be heard worldwide I invite you to translate the petition, but share the link of the og one so that the numbers stay organized in one place only.
I hope we can work together to improve our beloved Sims.

Edit.: LilSimsie, Plumbella, English Simmer, PleasantSims, James Turner, Iron Seagull, Springsims and every other amazing streamers and videomakers aroudn this big world to join me and make a video about it. It needs to be discussed as fast as possible. If you can showcase the issue with examples of how the emotions can be op in the game and present solutions it would be great.
Post edited by EA_Lanna on

Comments

• ForgeronForgeron Posts: 272 Member
    Sorry I "tagged" PleasantSims, but then I noticed she already had posted a video-criticism talking about the emotions overpowering the new system. You can watch it here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk8ru_Tkgvw
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Emotions are a big problem in The Sims 4. That is why Meaningful Stories Mod are essential in the game. Now if Maxis will improve the game I would love them to take some features from that mod for example if a sim has a happy buff then suddenly got tense because of a certain action, The Happy Buff should fade away rather than overpower the negative emotions.

They really need to fix this. Also more negative buffs. I mean everytime a pack comes out we got like A maltitude Happy Buffs but not so much in negative buff aside from uncomfortable. I can't even remember if the latest packs have Angry or Sad Buffs because it is very rare.

They need more negative buffs in the game
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited May 2021
    Forgeron wrote: »
    I haven't seen any influencers, cc creator or simmer takign the charge and leading us to the change, and I don't know if I have the ability or knowledge to make it work, but I'm the one that decided I won't be heard anymore.

@Forgeron The CC creators (who know a lot about how the game works) are unfortunately not as big as GameChangers to be heard. And the Game Changers... well, we know they don't play the game enough to notice these things. They build 90% of the time so you know.

Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • LavenderlightsLavenderlights Posts: 76 Member
    I agree with all this. It’s so frustrating how every negative moodlet seem to inevitably be overpowered by positive ones, making the sims happy all. The. Time, which is just plain unrealistic. It’s such a shame as I really enjoy the game otherwise (and the emotions system as a concept, too, just not in execution)

I really hope they make some kind of emotion overhaul in the future. Maybe balance it more by adding more negative moodlets, making them more powerful and cutting down on the positive moodlets a bit (especially the really insignificant ones like “good environment”, “good food” or whatever they’re called). It’ll also be great if sims didn’t switch emotions so abruptly like they’re on constant mood swings. These are the reasons why I can’t play without Meaningful Stories. I swear the balance it brings to the system singlehandedly fixed all my issues with it and the personalities in this game.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    The emotion system is completely broken and I honestly wish they would stop adding new features that are focused around it if they aren't going to fix it first. Their moods change to rapidly and some moodlets are far to powerful.

I use Meaningful Stories in my game which is a wonderful mod and helps a lot with the mood changing but sadly it doesn't fix the issue of some moodlets being over powered.

Another issue I have is them adding moodlets that are powerful and almost permanent such as the inspired buff from a clean house. I had to mod that out of my game because it was over powering every other emotion.
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »
    I can't even remember if the latest packs have Angry or Sad Buffs because it is very rare.

Bust the Dust did get "Order to Clean" as a mean interaction which gives the recipient Sim an angry or a sad buff depending on the relationship with the Sim but I don't think that's performed autonomously.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • foxybillyfoxybilly Posts: 231 Member
    I don't really know the diference between buffs and moodiest but I control my sims and I dont want them going off upset or sad about something I haven't created so I dont really want any more emotions in the game.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member
    edited May 2021
    The main weakness of this first version is the limited number of hobbies

For example :
    An unique Like/dislike Fitness instead of Swimming, Basketball, Soccer, Workout, Jogging

"You like soccer ? You are a gymrat who likes every sports !"
    At the end all the Active sims will like Fitness, Preferences become useless if there is no difference between basketball and martial art.

A lot of activities are excluded compared to the Club Activities (Read a book, Skating, Play card, Watch TV, ...)

There is also nothing to like for the genius/scientists.
  • bookish_sammybookish_sammy Posts: 223 Member
    The emotion system annoys me so bad. I was playing the Pancake household yesterday, and Eliza argued with Bob about his career. However, he was feeling confident from a previous action, and he was strutting around with full confidence despite being berated and criticized about his career. Skip ahead to later in my game play, Eliza tells Bob she wants a divorce and both proceed to sulk around for two days. It also made me angry that Eliza's moodlet said she was hurt by someone. No, sweetie, you're the one that asked for the divorce. You have no right to act like Bob hurt you, and she's the one who cheated on him with another townie. These things need to be fixed.

Anyway, I'm thrilled we have Likes and Dislikes. There will need to be another update on it to include other stuff for sure. My sim who has the knitting aspiration really needs knitting in her Likes.
  • bandit5bandit5 Posts: 917 Member
    i have over 300 sims i need a mod that lets you random the likes and dislikes for all it be a long time too pick for that many sims
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I'm happy with the update. There are lots of Likes/ Dislikes to choose from, and you can choose up to 20 of them. And it does seem like they tried to have them make some difference to the sims' personality and actions.

But, I agree with you. Unless they fix the Emotion System, none of these new features matter.

Positive & Happy Emotions are too strong, and overtake everything. A well decorated house destroys any negative feelings a sim might have. An Inspired buff from a painting can overpower Sadness from a Breakup/ Divorce. Emotions are too easy to manipulate by environmental factors, like decor and certain activities. Angry emotions are too easily fixed by using Happy decor or from easy social interactions. Sims are too easy to control and shallow. Give them a luxurious house to live in, and they'll never be sad, angry or tense again. Overall, the Emotion System is shallow and badly programmed.

It's the same thing with Sentiments. I like Sentiments, they are a nice idea. But, again, the Emotion System gets in the way. Your sim might have a festering grudge from a fight, but as soon as you put an expensive painting in the room, they forget about it.

They can keep adding all the features they want to the game, but until they fix the Emotions System, the sims will still be as shallow as ever.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »
    Emotions are a big problem in The Sims 4. That is why Meaningful Stories Mod are essential in the game. Now if Maxis will improve the game I would love them to take some features from that mod for example if a sim has a happy buff then suddenly got tense because of a certain action, The Happy Buff should fade away rather than overpower the negative emotions.

They really need to fix this. Also more negative buffs. I mean everytime a pack comes out we got like A maltitude Happy Buffs but not so much in negative buff aside from uncomfortable. I can't even remember if the latest packs have Angry or Sad Buffs because it is very rare.

They need more negative buffs in the game

This game is so close to greatness if EA would just address a few key areas.

-Emotion balancing (emotions need prioritization and time adjustments.)
    -Chemistry and Attraction
    -Whims overhaul.
    -Autonomous Interactions based on Traits, Moods, Conversations & Relationships

I added mods to reduce happy-all-the-time emotions, make whims more interesting, assign chemistry and attraction between sims, and make them perform autonomous actions that makes sense for the sim and the situation. I had so much fun with my sims. Until I had to take out the mods because of the latest patch. I left them out because I really don't enjoy tracking mods for compatibility and being updated and then only get to play for a few weeks before I had to do it all over again.

I will wait to see what modders do with the Likes/Dislikes system before I add then in again.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    edited May 2021
    There are 50 skills in the game but only 31 are available in the Preferences.

These skills are banned :
    1. Archaeology
    2. Charisma
    3. Flower arranging
    4. Vampire lore
    5. Gourmet cooking
    6. Local culture (Selvadorada)
    7. Dog training
    8. Parenting
    9. Climbing wall (SP11 Fitness Stuff)
    10. Fabrication
    11. Herbalism
    12. Juice pong
    13. Logic (Chess)
    14. Skating
    15. Juice fizzing
    16. Ping pong
    17. Knitting
    18. Veterinarian
    19. Medium
  • coogee78coogee78 Posts: 177 Member
    The Bespoke and randomly generated townies should each have at least some likes and dislikes randomly generated. A household having some personality is not much good if all the other sims in the game are the same. I would much rather have Mortimer Goth like Tween Pop with Pink as his favourite colour than to have to go in and manually add some to each npc sim in each save. It also means that I know which sims are compatible with my household members, rather than getting to discover it as I play.
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    edited May 2021
    I've said this a lot of times. I still feel like the emotions are the major problem of The Sims 4 and in my honest opinion, the stupidest idea to ever occur in The Sims franchise! I'm really sorry to say this but It really bothers me that a system that was supposed to be a step foward in comparison to the other games is the same system that makes The Sims 4 the worst game of them all.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited May 2021
    For me the likes and dislikes are nice but it is not an motivator for me as I want the the other features that would increase my creativity and the likes and dislikes does not for me. It is so sad for me that Sims 4 got the raw end of the deal almost on everything, so much controversy exists for this game. Sims 4 should have been on the same level as Sims 2 and 3 in respect to old and new features which Sims 4 never had an chance to get and EA/Maxis is doing piecemeal and it is not the same as they tend to be gimped in some fashion looking at CL with the Apartments.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    I've though for a long time that most buffs are too powerful, and many too long. Especially ones for stupid things like cooking pancakes. In my opinion, most should be dropped down to plus one, except for truly emotional ones (deaths, weddings, someone throwing a drink in your face, etc). Then if a sim got mad it would take a lot of little things to over power it, not just vacuuming the floor. And most don't need to last 4 hours, either. Seriously, they do one little thing and they are happy, inspired, focused for the next 8 hours.
    edited June 2021
    In fact The Sims Studio recycle the Preferences from TS3 (Color and Music) and TS2 (Skill).
    They never planned to do something better than earlier.

FAVORITES COMPARED! Sims 2 vs. Sims 3 vs. Sims 4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5epkAixo5vU
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    A sim of mine who dislikes mischief got a slablet for Xmas. And guess what he did? Trolled forums!

Sorry, but as it stands, this update sucks huge balls!
    edited June 2021
    There are 50 skills in the game but only 31 are available in the Preferences.

These skills are banned :
    1. Archaeology
    2. Charisma
    3. Flower arranging
    4. Vampire lore
    5. Gourmet cooking
    6. Local culture (Selvadorada)
    7. Dog training
    8. Parenting
    9. Climbing wall (SP11 Fitness Stuff)
    10. Fabrication
    11. Herbalism
    12. Juice pong
    13. Logic (Chess)
    14. Skating
    15. Juice fizzing
    16. Ping pong
    17. Knitting
    18. Veterinarian
    19. Medium

There's some other activities that don't necessarily have skills, but would be cool to see as a hobby/activity in this list.
    In fact The Sims Studio recycle the Preferences from TS3 (Color and Music) and TS2 (Skill).
    They never planned to do something better than earlier.

FAVORITES COMPARED! Sims 2 vs. Sims 3 vs. Sims 4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5epkAixo5vU

@LeGardePourpre i have to disagree. The options in the favorite system from Sims 3 is so basic, the first thing that comes when you think of preferences is your favorite music genre, food and colors. It doesn't surprise me that we have that in Sims 4 now, when games like Stardew Valley and Harvest Moon have something similar.
    When it comes to favorite colors, it has way more meaning than it had in SIms 3. We have many more options to pick favorite music genre.
    The hobby system from Sims 2 was cool, but it was really shallow in options... it was just a general topic with levels (like a skill_ and each level unlocked a interaction. Some of those interactions we do have in SIms 4 as trait characteristics and wouldn't make sense to add them to a hobby system anymore.
    My problem with it all is just the emotions overpowering the meaning of this and any other new system.
    It won't be updated because it can break Dream Home Decorator.

No, it won't, you can't break something thats broke already.
  • rachelwolferachelwolfe Posts: 110 Member
    I am also disappointed with the options for decor style likes and dislikes included with the new pack. There are five different ways to say you like modern decor: modern/contemporary/cosmolux/mid-century/suburban contemporary (whatever that is), which take up a lot of slots for sims who I would like to mark as preferring a modern style, but no categories at all for several styles WE HAVE IN THE GAME! Where is the preference for industrial decor? Or how about art deco? Craftsman? Eastern traditional? I mean, we just got an entire pack about that last one. Please, sim gurus, if you are reading this forum, go back and create categories for all the styles your furniture art team has developed in the past, both as bb tags and as likes/dislikes. Under the current system, the interior decorator career encourages the player to simply makeover the entire world in the contemporary styles that came with the pack, which is actually antithetical to the artistry of interior decoration as a careful selection process from a variety of unique styles for what suits each home best. Unless you collapse modern back into the one category it should be and replace its redundancies with the other decor styles that exist in game but have been sidelined by the pack, half the beautiful furniture your art team has made will languish, forgotten, unasked-for, and untagged, in the bb catalogue while the worlds get ever more uniform and bland.