The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dream Home Decorator Positive Thoughts Thread

Comments

• orenjiAiorenjiAi Posts: 569 Member
    edited May 2021
    MyriadSims wrote: »
    Actually, the term you're looking for is contemporary.

I looked it up and the difference between the two is as follows:
    "Modern design refers to an era that has passed, while contemporary design is all about the now and the future. The most popular
    modern design era is the mid-century modern era of the 1950s and 1960s.
    "

Just a small factoid.

Thanks @MyriadSims. You’d think that after 9 years in the industry, it’s a term I should not be loosely interchanging anymore. My Simself’s house is midcentury modern-themed and I guess I was thinking about renovating the kitchen too much it must’ve messed up my train of thought. :sweat_smile:
    facade.png
    Edit: My link broke. And please excuse the trash. Also I’ve renovated this like three more times after I took this screenshot lol
    orenjiAi wrote: »
    Protip: If you ever find yourself decorating for an IRL family where the couple don’t get along with the design (which is like 90% of the time), just take the homemaker’s side instead of the financier. Trust me on this.

Haha, I kind of agree, in famous Pancakes case , do what Eliza asks, Bob will adapt, he could not care less :p

Bob will thank me later when he realizes I spared him from Eliza’s nagging every time she sees the pink walls!
  • folklorian13folklorian13 Posts: 18 Member
    This is the first pack that has really interested me in awhile. I love the idea behind it, and while I didn't have time to watch the whole stream I read a summary of it and it seems like there's so much included in the pack. I'm excited for it!
  • HaflingerHaflinger Posts: 973 Member
    I just started watching a Netflix show called “Amazing Interiors”. Sort of trying to immerse myself in the vibe and get an idea of how to present a gameplay save if I ever wanted to make a story type thing out of it starting with a complete newbie sim to the world of interior design.

Looking forward to next week!
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    So are we going to use the weekend to give our sims their likes/dislikes or what? :p
    Yikes, that's a ton of sims for me.....oh well I gotta do what I gotta do. ;)

Yes
    I
    Am!
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I'm gonna abuse of that repeat button in the before and after reveal :lol: i hope we could save those clips somewhere...
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited May 2021

I would like to play this on my old save where I have a lot of sims that are living in decorated houses, but I don't want to change them all to play this career. Not sure what to do here...I might have to do a lot of world building before I will play this.

It looks like this pack can certainly keep you occupied for a while.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    I wonder if the reputation system of DHD somehow feeds into the reputation system of Get Famous. They’re both separate but technically they do the same thing. How does this work now? 🤔
  • trineloetrineloe Posts: 37 Member
    @logion - in the livestram, they said that you can ignore those gigs/houses in your game that you don't want to be changed. So yeah, it shouldn't be a problem, as long as you remember which households are in which of the homes you don't mind redecorating. :)
    Otherwise, if you are unsure if you want the good old build or the new decorated one, I think it could be a great idea to save the old one in the gallery beforehand. :)
    Gallery ID: trineloe
    ~~ building life ~~
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    I wonder if the reputation system of DHD somehow feeds into the reputation system of Get Famous. They’re both separate but technically they do the same thing. How does this work now? 🤔

I would have thought that if your Sim farts at a client's house it would affect the professional reputation in the career panel and if your Sim burps at a bar after work it affects their reputation in the simology panel? But that is just an assumption.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    trineloe wrote: »
    @logion - in the livestram, they said that you can ignore those gigs/houses in your game that you don't want to be changed. So yeah, it shouldn't be a problem, as long as you remember which households are in which of the homes you don't mind redecorating. :)
    Otherwise, if you are unsure if you want the good old build or the new decorated one, I think it could be a great idea to save the old one in the gallery beforehand. :)

That works for playable houses you want to change. For me though the issue is I don't want to change ANY houses at all. I'm still hoping for a toggle, a rabbit hole option for the career or something that would fix it. More likely I'm hoping for a mod that will fix it lol.

Otherwise my plan is to just start a separate save for it. That may be the best option as toggles seem to be super difficult to do in TS4. Then I can renovate all the crappy EA builds, plus if any turn out good I can port any successes into my actual save, if not then no harm done.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited May 2021

That's what I will probably end up doing, I think I will make separate saves and maybe also save their lots on the gallery so I could change them back in case I change them too much. But it's great that I can pick which household to renovate in the gig list as you said. :)
  • iliekponieziliekponiez Posts: 455 Member
    This pack looks like fun! Can’t wait for the awesome build/buy items! 🤩
  • trineloetrineloe Posts: 37 Member

That works for playable houses you want to change. For me though the issue is I don't want to change ANY houses at all. I'm still hoping for a toggle, a rabbit hole option for the career or something that would fix it. More likely I'm hoping for a mod that will fix it lol.

Otherwise my plan is to just start a separate save for it. That may be the best option as toggles seem to be super difficult to do in TS4. Then I can renovate all the ❤️❤️❤️❤️ EA builds, plus if any turn out good I can port any successes into my actual save, if not then no harm done.

@JemmaTheSimmer - I totally get that. I use soooo much time in BB, and none of my lots I've made should be redecorated. It could be cool to start a new gallery hashtag for lots you can use for renovation! But I do think it would be a great idea to use a new safe file, especially to make it impossible to mess anything up before getting a hang on it (me), haha. But fortunately, EA has a lot of builds (TOTALLY) ready to renovate!
    logion wrote: »

That's what I will probably end up doing, I think I will make separate saves and maybe also save their lots on the gallery so I could change them back in case I change them too much. But it's great that I can pick which household to renovate in the gig list as you said. :)

@logion - I think I'll start a separate safe as well, my current safes are pretty messed up since I sometimes just make different rooms on a lot. But I can highly recommend saving in the gallery. I've made too many mistakes with sims moving and bringing all my hours of work to their inventory, lol. Anyhow, I'm glad we can pick and choose!
    Gallery ID: trineloe
    ~~ building life ~~
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    I think filling a whole save/world, maybe Newcrest if you haven't filled it, with apocalypse/abandoned/derelict lots would be a fab save to work through.

Either fill all the homes with sims, or let them fill automatically with the setting options as you play, and slowly transform the occupied and business lots as you work through the career.

It might also work if you set up a load of unfurnished homes with just the basics (beds, bathroom, fridge) and magnolia walls.

If we ever get Story Progression (it was mentioned recently) this pack could also tie in with that, so new baby = new nursery, new job = new office/skill room.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,818 Member

When it comes to Hobbies and Interests a lot of general activities will be included in the Menu. As you can see down below activities such as Singing (City Living), Skiing and Snowboarding (Snowy Escape) and Wellness (Spa Day) are included in the list. We can expect A LOT MORE on the list after tomorrow’s update though since a lot of hobbies were incorporated through previous packs!
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I wonder if they fire you for flirting with the spouse? Maybe just in front of them.. hehe... Could combine a black widow challenge of sorts with this... Or the decorator is an opportunist? Hmm so far in my mind I got lothario designer with bad taste and a penchant for kleptomania formed in my head at least.
    I'm glad they build in bad stuff for us to do too.
    egTcBMc.png
  • bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    I'm still on the fence about this pack for a couple reasons, but the career itself seems like it has potential.

I prefer active careers to rabbitholes, but outside of a few (Get to Work/Get Famous/Paranormal) most "active" careers just involve your sim sitting in front of their computer. I doubt watching me play Sims for hours on my PC would be fun for others, and similarly I don't find it fun watching my sim using their computer for hours. :lol:

What I like about what I've seen of this career is that there is a social component - talk to your clients, get to know them, find out their likes and dislikes - that actually has a function. Sure, when you're a doctor, you get a checklist task to talk to coworkers, but it doesn't drive anything forward in the gameplay. It's a big plus to me that my sim has a reason to interact with other sims. Then, how well you do at the job is dependent on designing around a client's wants and goals, but you get to add your own open-ended creative spin on how you achieve that task. Bob Pancakes and Johnny Zest might both want a blue kitchen remodel, but you can achieve that in different ways - unlike other careers where you achieve the goal in pretty much the same way every time.

Like I said, not 100% on whether I'm getting the pack - but if I do, I'm going to play the most obnoxious and selfish interior decorator I can. Eat from your client's fridge, shower in their bathroom, swipe a few things, flirt with anyone and everyone! And if the clients don't fire me, they'll get a good remodel or a bad remodel depending on my mood...
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,862 Member
    bizuktag wrote: »
    Like I said, not 100% on whether I'm getting the pack - but if I do, I'm going to play the most obnoxious and selfish interior decorator I can. Eat from your client's fridge, shower in their bathroom, swipe a few things, flirt with anyone and everyone! And if the clients don't fire me, they'll get a good remodel or a bad remodel depending on my mood...
    haha, you will ran out of gigs soon if there is nobody left who has not yet hired your sim :joy:

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
    I'm really excited to start on the career. I'm going to download some 20x20 lots and add some new couples from the gallery. Just for practice before designing for my long time residents.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    edited May 2021
    It would be even better for a Sim family to be able to go in search of a decorator as well and be given a list with caustic comments or nice ones as on Trip Advisor (other sites may be available!) with prices to match. The decorators could be given a score, recommended or don't get them, they ruined my house, over budget type comments! This is more like real life in my own actual experience! :)
  • bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    haha, you will ran out of gigs soon if there is nobody left who has not yet hired your sim :joy:

Yeah, it probably won't last long - my sim's reputation will be down the toilet!

The other plus for me about this career is that I never play with Maxis pre-made lots, and I hate how long it takes me to re-design places so they look "right" before I play. But if I played a sim in this career path, suddenly there would be a valid reason for the places to look bad when I start and I could just remodel them along the way, rather than doing them all first. :smile:
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,862 Member
    @bizuktag , yes, that last line is why I am very happy that those renovations will stay, and not revert back to their original design.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
    Interior Decorator Career
    Designers have a reputation bar as well as a performance bar. You must build your reputation to get high profile clients and bigger gigs.
    Decorators have to look for gigs, similar to freelance careers; however, they do gain promotions like standard careers.

Different gig types:
    Room Renos: Access to only one room in the building
    Room Additions: Adding a new room to the existing foundation
    Level Renos: Access to an entire floor of a building
    Level Addition: Adding an additional floor onto a building
    Low level designers don’t get as many likes/dislikes from their clients to work with. Progressing in the career unlocks more.
    Designers can get both residential and commercial gigs.
    Designers will get callbacks from previous clients they did a good job for; they might want your designer to come and do a larger project for them.
    There are a total of 52 different gigs.
    Clients have a budget you need to stick to when doing your renovations.
    You can choose what household you’re going to and avoid renovating houses you already love and don’t want to touch.
    Sims ask for renos based on their likes and dislikes. A Sim who likes painting might ask for a painting studio, for example.
    When at a gig, designers should spend some time chatting with the client to find out their likes and dislikes.
    Likes and dislikes for a gig are randomly pulled from the clients. Sometimes you get more useful likes and dislikes to work with than others.
    If your clients are a family of Sims, their likes and dislikes might clash with each other and the game will randomly pick out likes and dislikes across all the Sims living there.
    Designers must take before and after photos of the spaces they renovate. At least 3 photos must be taken but you can take as many pictures as you like. You get a copy of the photos to use however you like.
    When you finish renovating a space for a gig, you can select your before and after reveal photos. When your client returns and sees the space, a cinematic montage will play using the photos you selected.
    You can show off the new objects to the client and ask them for their thoughts on your renovation. Their opinion will be based on how well you paid attention to their likes and dislikes. Multiple Sims living in the same household may not all have the same opinion of your renovation.
    Reputation has a big impact on what kinds of clients and gigs you can get. If you have high reputation but bombed a gig, that client might be willing to give you a second chance in the future.
    Reputation doesn’t reset like performance when you get promoted. You carry it with you through your whole career.
    Reputation is mostly built on how well you do on gigs but you can also help build your reputation by self promotion, writing design books and articles. You can catch the attention of brands and the Home Decor TV network, too.

Cross Pack Compatibility
    If Cats & Dogs is installed, pets will sleep and hang out in the play tent.
    If Vampires is installed, Vlad can ask you to renovate his home for him. According to SimGuruJill, it’s hilarious.
    If Get Famous is installed, celebrities won’t hire your Interior Decorator Sims unless they have a high professional reputation. Your Sim will have to work harder to land gigs for those high profile clients.
    All Build/Buy objects across all packs are integrated into this pack and will affect your clients and your gigs.
    The likes and dislikes are integrated across all packs. You will have more options for likes and dislikes depending on which add-on packs you have installed.
    You can get gigs for all residential worlds from all packs. Pack specific venues are compatible, like vet clinics.

Misc.
    New Home Design TV channel with two comical renovation shows. Designers can watch this channel before a gig to get a Confident moodlet to help them at work. Non-designers will become Inspired from watching the Home Design channel.
    The pack is a balance between Live Mode and Build Mode. The mechanics of the Interior Decorator career encourage builders to play in Live Mode and gameplay enthusiasts to play with Build Mode more.
    If your Sims don’t have the full range of appliances (ie: a stovetop but not an oven), they won’t see recipes for the appliances they don’t own.

https://simscommunity.info/2021/05/26/the-sims-4-dream-home-decorator-everything-we-know-so-far/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top