Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How is this a gamepack?

Comments

• Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Aquarius94 wrote: »
    Yeah, at this point the only thing that makes this pack worth it are the modular couches and shelves. In which case, I'll probably try to snag it for cheap. But I didn't see anything in this live stream that made me feel like this wasn't anything more than a bloated stuff pack. The closest thing we have to actual new gameplay is the like/dislike system and that's already coming in a free update. Everything else is just stuff. Even the new career is still nothing more than playing around in build/buy mode.

I really think they got this pack and Paranormal mixed up. That was what should have been a game pack.

So on the upside, the stream managed to change my mind on skipping this pack altogether. But there's no way in ❤️❤️❤️❤️ I'm dropping 20 bucks for this.

Sectional couches and modular whatever's are fun, but I'm more excited about the patch than anything. 🤣.

I'm really glad improving sims seems to be the focus lately. Credit where credit is due, the personality update to traits was a great start, and if this actually effects autonomy like they say then great.

Sadly though, the emotion system is still flawed. We saw them cancel out the positive emotions via cheats because they were overpowering the negative. Your sims will still be forever inspired and happy that they live in a dust free well decorated room. Who cares that grandma just dropped to the floor, I just brushed my teeth!
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member
    edited May 2021
    Sectional couches and modular whatever's are fun, but I'm more excited about the patch than anything. 🤣.

I'm really glad improving sims seems to be the focus lately. Credit where credit is due, the personality update to traits was a great start, and if this actually effects autonomy like they say then great.

Sadly though, the emotion system is still flawed. We saw them cancel out the positive emotions via cheats because they were overpowering the negative. Your sims will still be forever inspired and happy that they live in a dust free well decorated room. Who cares that grandma just dropped to the floor, I just brushed my teeth!

Agreed. Whenever TS5 comes, I hope they stop trying so hard with the emotions system. The emotions that sims had in previous games were just fine. Especially in TS2. The way they do them now just makes them shallow, robotic, and too dependent on moodlets rather than a sims actual experiences and relationships. Case in point:

In TS2 and TS3, if your sim loses a loved one it will affect them, regardless of where they were at the time of the death. They are going to know it happened and react accordingly. Extra points in TS2's case for making that death a memory that will follow a sim for the rest of their lives (God I miss the old memory system)

In TS4, if a sim dies their loved ones MIGHT get a negative moodlet for a few days but they can be easily overwritten by a myriad of other less important moodlets. Or even worse, they don't get a moodlet at all and act like the death never happened. On more than one occasion I've had a sim lose a parent or even a child, and they didn't feel a **** thing because they were either asleep when it happened or off the lot.
  • keFUNKNEY101keFUNKNEY101 Posts: 658 Member
    It's only a Gamepack because they're charging $20 for it. From what I've seen, it's just a stuff pack with more build/buy objects. No real working gameplay.
  • PlatinumblondePlatinumblonde Posts: 28 Member
    Here's my 2 cents.
    It's too big to be a stuff pack and it doesn't have enough new gameplay to be a game pack.
    I just think they didn't want to create a new type of pack and cataloged it as a game pack.

Is it worth $20, I'll leave that up to personal taste.
    For me it is because it has a lot of BB items and that kitchen looks absolutely amazing.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I really reeeally love the type of career that this pack brings but that's all. I will only buy it because i adore the type of career. For the rest, well... why didn't they do a regular livestream instead of this kind of let's play that showcased so many sims 4 problems...? It was a hard pill to swallow, this livestream... Playing each interaction, not letting any surprise left... it shows the lack of content, we're not kids for god sake. But the minutes showing the tv channel were just... kind of insulting i think...
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,019 Member
    To me, it feels like a Stuff Pack, but they made it a GP and used the extra money to improve the basegame and try and catch up on what the game is missing.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    They probably spent budget on the new tv show too, 2 different versions of a DIY program, that was a lot of different animations they used.
  • KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    Did any one pick up whether there was a skill gain with the new channel?
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited May 2021
    Kironide wrote: »
    Did any one pick up whether there was a skill gain with the new channel?

No, I'm fairly certain there are no skills, traits or aspirations. If there are, I'm surprised they didn't mention them in CAS.

I think the TV Channel just gave them confident or inspired buff.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    texxx78 wrote: »
    I really reeeally love the type of career that this pack brings but that's all. I will only buy it because i adore the type of career. For the rest, well... why didn't they do a regular livestream instead of this kind of let's play that showcased so many sims 4 problems...? It was a hard pill to swallow, this livestream... Playing each interaction, not letting any surprise left... it shows the lack of content, we're not kids for god sake. But the minutes showing the tv channel were just... kind of insulting i think...

What was the point of them focusing so much time on the TV Channel. It was cute, but why?
    Like you said, I think they didn't have much to show during the livestream, so they figured they'd waste some time making us watch 5 minutes of the TV channel. Weird :D
  • Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member
    I really reeeally love the type of career that this pack brings but that's all. I will only buy it because i adore the type of career.

And see the career (the main selling point of this pack) is what I find to be the least impressive. It feels like they're literally just selling you a feature you already have in game. The career is just....build mode.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    They probably spent budget on the new tv show too, 2 different versions of a DIY program, that was a lot of different animations they used.

@Chicklet453681 Budget on the new tv show? They just made that with some software and that's that. It wasn't even that well photoshoped I mean the truck and the flames were obviously fake. They just used the game and a software. Probably some Guru made that in their spare time just letting loose having fun. There is absolutely nothing complicated or expensive about the two small clips from the new tv channel.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member

I suppose, that's because there's nothing more other than going to build mode to play.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member

To me DHD feels like a builder’s Gamepack. Without build mode the gameplay system makes no sense, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing given its theme. I think many people have been interested in an interior design pack for a while now.

DHD is being advertised as a pack to draw live mode players into build mode and vice versa. I think this is a good idea as long as they don’t mean to say:

“Hey live mode players, ye better get used to build mode now, because that’s all we’ve got for you in the future!”

That, of course, would be devastating.
    (I know at least one or two of you wants to say: “but it’s already that way!!”). Grand so.

A $10 stuff pack would be too small to include everything that’s shipped with this pack and it’s not comparable to Paranormal unless you said Paranormal + 2 BB kits. Whatcha gonna end up with? That’s right, a Gamepack.

A $40 EP is too big to have gameplay just focused on interior design, unless it includes a fashion designer+ modeling career also, but that’s not your typical Sims4 pack content formula. It’s 1 main system per pack and we should know that by now.

I believe most of the budget was indeed spent on the gig system specific to this pack plus the modular click and move systems and the vast amount of BB they’re offering.
    Its not fair to say: “ It’s a joke, because CC creators have been making modular systems for years” because many of us can’t’ or don’t want to use CC. In fact, this “CC is for free” argument is getting very old, because why come here and complain instead of going to your favourite CC creators instead and get whatever you want? Be delighted you don’t need to buy a pack for that! 😉
    Aquarius94 wrote: »
    I really reeeally love the type of career that this pack brings but that's all. I will only buy it because i adore the type of career.

And see the career (the main selling point of this pack) is what I find to be the least impressive. It feels like they're literally just selling you a feature you already have in game. The career is just....build mode.

Yes, it is. I know what i'll be buying...
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited May 2021
    @Aquarius94 @Zeldaboy180 speaking of emotions: I really missed how they reacted in TS2. If a sim was abducted by aliens the family would react, cry, be filled with worry. When a spouse moved out the children would react in anguish thinking parents were getting a divorce. If a spouse received a love letter from another person and the other spouse read it, the first time no reaction, the second time they read it they would slap their spouse or argue with them. I miss those kinds of reactions. When I first played TS2 I moved the family into an empty house and the mom started wailing. The grandfather would stare out the window bored. They need to bring some of that stuff back.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • LenaDietersLenaDieters Posts: 254 Member
    troshalom wrote: »
    @Aquarius94 @Zeldaboy180 I really missed how they reacted in TS2. If a sim was abducted by aliens the family would react, cry, be filled with worry. When a spouse moved out the children would react in anguish thinking parents were getting a divorce. If a spouse received a love letter from another person and the other spouse read it, the first time no reaction, the second time they read it they would slap their spouse or argue with them. I miss those kinds of reactions. When I first played TS2 I moved the family into an empty house and the mom started wailing. The grandfather would stare out the window bored. They need to bring some of that stuff back.

I agree wholeheartedly!
    Sims 2 sims reactions and uniqueness were the best!
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    bixters wrote: »

What was the point of them focusing so much time on the TV Channel. It was cute, but why?
    Like you said, I think they didn't have much to show during the livestream, so they figured they'd waste some time making us watch 5 minutes of the TV channel. Weird :D
    I think they showed the TV channel so that the simguru could prepare the sim in peace for the work day (skipping to the next morning, filling needs, etc.)

• CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member

I think they showed the TV channel so that the simguru could prepare the sim in peace for the work day (skipping to the next morning, filling needs, etc.)

Of course that’s all it was!
    The intermission started on Sunday evening and ended on Monday morning Sims time. I’m glad they showed us the 2 clips.
    It’s more interesting to watch a couple of new tv channels than get utterly bored from staring at a bunch of Sims sleeping through the night in fast forward.
    I usually watch a DIY channel while they do that. 😇
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    I waited for the livestream before judging if this is enough for a game pack or not.
    I can see why it's a gamepack now. All the modular furniture must have taken so much time to make. They have whole new systems in place. You can all keep complaining about the lack of animations, but for builders this is going to be a great pack.

I agree. I think the type of pack is decided by the amount of time it takes to create, not the percentage of gameplay in the pack. It's not just the shelving units but also the kitchens. In several packs (RoM, IL) we didn't get full kitchens because they take a lot of work for all the objects hidden in the menu under the wrench and now they made two full sets. Similar to the kitchens, the modular couches also have a lot of variants which have to be created for one object. I wonder if they needed to go over the recipes to tag them after splitting the cooking countertop and the stove. At least the color and style tags were already available on furniture because we can already filter by them.

In terms of resources needed to create all the build/buy objects I think this pack definitely has more to offer than a stuff pack. When it comes to balance between build/buy and gameplay there is a heavy focus on building, so this is definitely a builders pack. Personally I would have preferred a bit more focus on gameplay, even if that meant just one kitchen or less shelving units. Therefore I will wait for a sale or a bundle with the upcoming EP.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,544 Member
    Its not fair to say: “ It’s a joke, because CC creators have been making modular systems for years” because many of us can’t’ or don’t want to use CC. In fact, this “CC is for free” argument is getting very old, because why come here and complain instead of going to your favourite CC creators instead and get whatever you want? Be delighted you don’t need to buy a pack for that! 😉
    I had to smile at a post I saw with this exact argument (in favour of cc) and then the poster went on to say they had to wait to update their game because it would break said cc...

I prefer to stick to EA made stuff, thanks ;)

I am happy with this pack size and accept that it's a game pack and will be shelling out my £13.99 asap. Each to their own opinion. I'm sure the upcoming EP will have plenty of gameplay for people who do not like the look of Home Decorator, hopefully we won't have too long to wait for that.
    edited May 2021

Of course that’s all it was!
    The intermission started on Sunday evening and ended on Monday morning Sims time. I’m glad they showed us the 2 clips.
    It’s more interesting to watch a couple of new tv channels than get utterly bored from staring at a bunch of Sims sleeping through the night in fast forward.
    I usually watch a DIY channel while they do that. 😇

I don't think so. We had saw speed 3 several times in livestreams. It was def a filler.
    ETA ...as showing every interaction was...
  • SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    I had to smile at a post I saw with this exact argument (in favour of cc) and then the poster went on to say they had to wait to update their game because it would break said cc...

I guess this is a side kick against me.

You probably mistook me for someone else - it was me saying my CC will break, but I never said we don't need modular sofas because there is CC. I said I would rather have gameplay than BB (in general) because I have CC, but I know there are lots of players who don't and who need the official furniture we get and are happy about it. So I don't think "we don't need this" because there is CC, I think we don't need this RIGHT NOW because there is so much highly requested gameplay missing.

So you probably mistook me for someone else.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I feel like the Sims team misunderstood what we meant when we said we wanted more features from the Sims 3. We didn't mean the return of Sims 3 store microtransactions and 20 dollar stuff packs
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,544 Member
    Dakota88 wrote: »
    I guess this is a side kick against me.

You probably mistook me for someone else - it was me saying my CC will break, but I never said we don't need modular sofas because there is CC. I said I would rather have gameplay than BB (in general) because I have CC, but I know there are lots of players who don't and who need the official furniture we get and are happy about it. So I don't think "we don't need this" because there is CC, I think we don't need this RIGHT NOW because there is so much highly requested gameplay missing.

So you probably mistook me for someone else.
    Nope, it wasn't you, that was not what I was referring to.