Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is building one of your favorite things to do in The Sims 4?

Comments

• JustMeAlbJustMeAlb Posts: 371 Member
    No
    When I first started playing this game I spent most of my time playing around with build mode, but as I learned the ins and outs of the game I've gradually shifted to being in live mode the majority of the time. When I do build I've gotten sloppier and lazier in my rush to get back to live play. Last night I just slapped beige on all the walls when my sim started complaining about bad decor, I fear I'm not far away from even worse sins like rooms accessible only through other rooms.
    The cake is a lie
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    Yes
    One of the phases I went through as a kid trying to decide "what I want to be when I grow up" was Architect. I even took a series of classes designed for kids at the Frank Lloyd Wright Studio.

Also as a TTRPG game master, I make maps. Dungeons, castles, crime scenes, spaceships (I don't just play Fantasy Games).

I've had a few different 3D home design suites even before I started playing Sims 4 - which then allows me to actually see how usable a layout is. :smiley: At least within the parameters of the AI.

I still enjoy playing the game in Live Mode, but I think Building Challenges still qualify as "playing"
  • JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited May 2021
    No
    I’m more in between. All my lots are from the gallery (except for 1 that I built as a mermaid pond for my merclub)
    I will only go into BB when I want to fix a lot or re decorate. I don’t hate BB but I won’t spend hours on it either. Most my time is for gameplay.
  • SimDork23SimDork23 Posts: 524 Member
    Yes
    I voted yes, because although I don’t like building houses, I love designing them! I can understand why some people wouldn’t want packs dedicated to build/buy mode, but I personally wish that there were more.
  • grassharpgrassharp Posts: 70 Member
    Yes
    I said yes, but solely because the majority of my time is spent in build/buy. I'm not very good at actually building, but I love to redecorate. I like the environment to tell something about the sim's story/personality. :)
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member
    Yes
    The emphasis being on the word one. It's not the only thing I like to do. In fact, I find creating my Sims in CAS very satisfying. I then build the home in which I wish for them to live. Equally satisfying. Playing the game itself and achieving that which I set out to achieve, satisfying. All aspects must be included, in my mind.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 761 Member
    No
    I don't like to build at all. I've only built one house, after being inspired by tiny living. I do like to redecorate. I usually change and tailor existing house to my style. That doesn't mean BB won't influence my wanting to buy a pack. I just much more perfer to spend time in CAS. Though most of my playing time is spent in live mode.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,018 Member
    Yes
    I love building. I google houses and try and build them. Also TV show houses or offices (which become community lots).

Sims 4 is the easiest to build with and I love how you can move the whole house over without having to redo every wall.
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • dogzdinnerdogzdinner Posts: 422 Member
    Im not surprised this poll is coming out 50/50!! It kinda is like having two games rolled into one.
    Im def a builder. I have a couple of families I sometimes play but mostly I just love to build....often the only playing I do is the player testing of my builds.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    No
    I hate it. It's such a waste of time for me. I build my own stuff though because the stuff on gallery is simply unusable.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    No
    I have a love/hate relationship with building in sims games. I so want to master it or at least be decent at it but i dont have the patience. I keep ditching my plans to improve my building skills. I have a feeling it would be one of my favorite things to do if i had an easier time with it.
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    Yes
    I like build mode AND live mode. I'm not great at building but I really love that the game allows me to do it (and has an accessible gallery where I can dl from people who are good at building.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    Yes
    In TS4, I don't really enjoy building from scratch so much, but I most definitely enjoy renovating/remodeling/decorating existing houses.

I start out with a story in my head about a certain type of sim, go on a hunt for the perfect house for that particular sims, which of course there is always something that I need to change about it, which then leads me to redoing the whole house and before I know it, I've totally forgotten what my original story line was.

Or a new pack comes out and I always start a new game, so the whole process starts all over again with the new "stuff" in the new pack.

Not that I'm hating on on TS4, but in TS3 and TS2 I was ALWAYS in live mode more, for me TS4 live mode is just not as engaging and doesn't hold my interest as the older games did. I just accept TS4 for what it offers me and my play style, and for me that leans more towards the "build simulator" that some people call it.

I really like to do building/decorating challenges too.
  • JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    Yes
    I didn't think it would be, but I do find myself spending a silly amount of time doing it. Often on 'play sessions' where it's almost all of what I do, with my only other game time being to grab some hapless sim and run them around the build looking for flaws.

So yeah, I guess it is my thing.

But most of what I'm doing is 'makeovers'. I grab something complex like a shopping mall, community lot, or large house - and move everything around, change the purpose of parts of it, carve out new spots, remove others, etc.

I've yet to just look at a blank empty lot and drop 'raw' stuff in.

I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 845 Member
    No
    Mostly because I'm no good at it. I've built a total of one house in Sims 4, right after I got the game a couple of years ago. I surprised myself at how playable it was, but good gracious it was ugly! I big brown box with the ugliest roof you ever saw. It made me unhappy to look at it, so playable or not, they moved to a house I downloaded off the gallery. I do usually redecorate the interior, though.

I spend about 75% of my time in live mod and about 25% in CAS giving townies makeovers and tweaking my sims' kids with skin details. I like them to look a bit more realistic without crossing over into the uncanny valley. I spend a goodly amount of time looking for Maxis Match skin details for this reason.

I just don't get anything out of building. I agree with everyone about the sadness of live mode in S4. I'm just glad I'm not opposed to mods, because I have a LOT of them which add to gameplay. Without them, I wouldn't play because it would just be too boring.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    No
    Favorite? No. I build; I have always built from 1-4. However, I'm no pro and it's not something I get inspired to do without the rest of the game. In 4 I spend an equal third of my time in BB, CAS, and live mode, but back in the day CAS and BB was just my set up phase for a lengthy live mode game. I cannot play like that anymore because I get bored and 4 has BB and CAS as strengths in my opinion.

My problem with this pack is that I haven't seen anything that will hold my attention. I won't really play the career. All my BB stuff is usually done outside of my live mode play and I have a bunch of houses done how I like them that I won't want to touch as an interior designer. However, there might be something in the live stream to change my mind.

Anyway, while I don't really consider myself a "builder" per se, I do think I do enough to say that it isn't just the lack of live mode focus that is what is bothering me.

Also, I just noticed someone mentioned Sims 3 CAW and I loved that. Desperately. I loved the control of designing a world from top to bottom so I could do my own simplistic stuff and nothing looks out of place. I don't have CAW in 4, though, so building isn't my favorite.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Yes
    I'm really somewhere in the middle. I play more with my rotation but I'm in a lot of different households. I comfortably hop into build mode whenever I want to but I wouldn't label myself mostly a builder. I have however made some builds. When I put effort in, they are great. I'm not just playing the game to build in it. I want to see more gameplay but I'm also open-minded. I do think that an interior designer is an interesting career and I think I'd have fun with the new pack.

I do like having different build objects and clothes. This is because I play with a lot of different sims.

In TS3, I was constantly starting new saves. In this version, I've been able to make a fun game with my own characters. Even if not everything they do is the most exciting, it's fun to be able to do what I want. Some quirky storylines do end up happening but I have been wanting some additional direction so I like the introduction of new playable themes.

I'm not much of a supernatural player though I am now playing with my one vampire and having a lot of fun - he exists in a world of my other characters. I'm usually more interested in the more "realism-based" content or the ability to interpret a pack realistically.

I'm also very much someone who will just change things I don't like or who will sometimes get in a mood to build or renovate spaces. I'm likely to play with the new pack but I'm still wanting to know more about what is included.

More recently, I can say that when it comes to building, I've moved toward doing it nearly all myself. Now because I prefer furnishing my own spaces, the only things I'm usually willing to download from the gallery are empty shells. I dislike overly cluttered builds with MOO and a lack of playtesting. I do think we need other types of gameplay options but I do think building is a genuine part of the game.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    Yes
    I enjoy building a lot. But the there are some features/bugs that do make it more difficult than it should be. The stairs bug also really killed my enjoyment of building (and playing in general) recently. As did platforms, because they're near impossible to build and often cause routing failures in live mode. Terrain manipulation is another good example of a part of build mode that is very difficult to use. A lot of the build tools we have need fine tuning, much like a lot of features in live mode really. That said, I do really enjoy building functional homes and restaurants (and other community lots too).
    Decorating the interior is my least favourite part of build mode though. It always takes forever to find a nice colour scheme because of the very predetermined swatches. I would prefer a dual swatch system like ts2 had, that was so much more versatile.
    Nevertheless I'm, at this point, not very excited about the new pack. I'm sure the stuff will be nice, but the career sounds like something I'd do once, get annoyed with, then never touch again.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Yes
    I always at least edit a given lot. Fresh builds from scratch have slowed as I can't yet get my head around the platform tool. But I do love to create custom homes & venues, as well as to build additions, renovations, etc.
  • ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    Yes
    By necessity as a story maker I have to do a lot of building. Yesterday I have built a church, for example. I can't say that I enjoy it enough to do it for fun, but I can't argue with the results.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    No
    No I love downloading from the gallery where people who are good at building put their stuff. I am terrible at anything other than squares and I really hate roofs.

The new pack might make it more fun for me because it involves one room at a time (small doses) and creates in-game challenges with inn-game rewards. But I don't think I'll ever enjoy building whole buildings.
  • PatricePatrice Posts: 361 Member
    Yes
    Hey Simmers!

i don't so much build from scratch, i buy homes and decorate and update!
    then i choose live play, depends on how i feel :)
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    edited May 2021
    For me, building and decorating aren't the same thing. I don't build often because I'm not very good at it. I love decorating. Decorating isn't my fav thing to do... It's up there but not top. I also kinda suck at landscaping and that's its own category too.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    Yes
    I love both but the majority of my time is building/redecorating my sims homes or building venues they can visit. (And as a side though I do miss the color wheel since it could result in some hilarious rooms at least I’m getting builds done in under 6 hours.)
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    edited May 2021
    No
    Not really, but lately I have found myself updating a lot of my lots to include items from Eco lifestyle. I prefer downloading a good lot and changing it around to my liking a bit. I do build things if I have a good idea of exactly what I want ( like a drive in theatre I went to as a kid ( I lived in a small desert town). A lot of times I will change the inside of buildings...... but I don’t see myself as a ‘good builder’ especially on outside, unless I have seen such a build in real life. I like building venues rather than residential best when I do build, because I like taking my sims off a lot. But, it is the same with making sims, I normally don’t really enjoy it because I’m not good at making truly unique sims but I do it myself now because I always see people saying they don’t want them reuploaded to the gallery which I do with the households I play ( which is a lot because my main game is rotational ), so that if something happens to my game ( or laptop) I won’t lose all that skill building and stuff for my sims. So yeah, there a lot of sims I would like to download, but I stopped doing that as I can’t remember who to site for the original sim builder. I do sometimes enjoy taking townies into CAS and changing their hair makeup and clothes. Sometimes I’ll make a new sim or family to use new traits in new packs.
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on