Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How long do you guys usually keep playing a save file for?

GamecubeLover26GamecubeLover26 Posts: 34 Member
After reading about certain simmers that regularly play saves they've made ages ago, I got curious. How long do you guys typically play your saves for? What's the longest save you've ever had? And if you play other Sims games besides the Sims 2, which game do you find the easiest to keep playing for long amounts of time?

As for me, while I try to play save files for a long time, I almost always end up starting over again. I really like the idea of playing a neighborhood that has grown over generations, but I can never seem to make it work. :(

Comments

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :mrgreen:

I seem to lose interest once the children arrive. :(

I've also never been able to last long rotating through a neighborhood. I have tried at least 4 times with Pleasantview. 3 times with my own town, Troll Valley.
    I love playing them but I always get to the children and lose interest. Even cute kids. :sigh:

• BookBearBookBear Posts: 488 Member
    edited May 2021
    Usually it's the "Gen 2 are moving out and you have to pick a favorite or struggle with rotational" stage for me.
    Edit: Oh, wait this is a TS2 thread sorry. Should I delete this?
    Offering free hugs for your time of need.
    8763f1fcdeee963323782673c8c95eee.gif
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited May 2021
    @BookBear wrote: »
    Usually it's the "Gen 2 are moving out and you have to pick a favorite or struggle with rotational" stage for me.

No need to delete, they asked about which game so you're good. :mrgreen:
  • GamecubeLover26GamecubeLover26 Posts: 34 Member
    BookBear wrote: »

No, no, you're fine! It happens to the best of us. Plus, it gave me a good laugh. 😁 I struggle with that in the Sims 3 as well. Supposedly there's a NRAS mod that makes it easier, but I haven't had the time to fiddle around with it yet.
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Hi :mrgreen:

I seem to lose interest once the children arrive. :(

I've also never been able to last long rotating through a neighborhood. I have tried at least 4 times with Pleasantview. 3 times with my own town, Troll Valley.
    I love playing them but I always get to the children and lose interest. Even cute kids. :sigh:

I'm glad to hear it isn't just me! I believe this is my...what, 3rd time starting Pleasantview over? 😅 I can't even get my Sims to the child stage. My neighborhood has a massive baby boom and I suddenly lose all desire to play because keeping up with the little gremlins is hard! 😭
  • Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,935 Member
    About a month for me, restartitis hits after all my houses max out their skills and end up where they used to be.

My first BDC was about 3 years, although that savefile wasn't one I could keep playing for any reason other than corruption.
    L9q8VGi.png
  • DevalaousDevalaous Posts: 1,286 Member
    I usually last till I have to break canon and make stuff up. Too many premades have such ultra specific stories, usually I try to follow those somewhat.
    Rebuilding Sims 2 inside Sims 3 one lot and sim at a time.

See my Sims 3 studio for latest progress.
  • SimChic1SimChic1 Posts: 3,449 Member
    I have had the same save file for years, but I just make a new family by the time the third generation of kiddos arrives. There's no connectivity in my file.
  • garapoesgarapoes Posts: 422 Member
    I find it hard to keep playing the same save file. Now I have around 70 Sims for one sim year (rotation with all the seasons done). And I've been playing for a few months.
    English is not my first language so sorry if I make any mistakes!
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    It really depends when I feel I am done with it. Most saves I reroll fairly often, but I can also get attached to saves. For example, I still have my first file I played and have gone back to it before. Just not in a long time. So it is really all over the place for me, but I suppose the short of it is when I am not attached not long and possibly eternally if I am. I still have my old Sims 3 saves I retrieved off an old early 2000s PC.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Generally for the life of the host PC/hard drive. If I want some variety I'll swap a neighborhood with one in my stash folder. I also take advantage of the provision to create new neighborhoods.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I have been playing 3 saves latelly. The first one is the one i play often. It's a small rotation of 6 households. The second is a save where i (try to) do some building and the last one which i haven't played for a while is a challenge i never finished. Sometimes i think i won't play it again so i should delete that save but i made so many advances that it's hard to let go.
  • Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,959 Member
    I usually create a married couple in CAS and count that as gen 1. I often make it to about gen 3. I’ve not gone further than that, I think.
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    If I start to play in Veronaville, it takes me over 100h of preparations to get to the real starting point. So I'd say about a full season of playing time.
  • IVXXXVIIVXXXVI Posts: 140 Member
    In all games, when I create a family I usually try and play with it as long as I can. I agree with you, Sims 2 is a bit hard to do that only because the town is not progressing that much, meaning that I for example have 7th gen sims and they have as their friends some people that the 1st gen sims had which is weird :D . I think Sims 3 is the easiest to keep a family going on and on and on because even with or without mods, the town manages to progress nicely. But yeah as for 2 the longest save was almost a year. As for 3 though, I play the same for almost 4 years and still going.
    Hp85Jmm.gif
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I don't play legacy but might have a family or two that has grown older and their adult kids also live in the neighborhoods etc. I play the entire town (my own, never Maxis) and kept a save (still have it) that last more than ten years. It's why I can say sometimes corruption is overrated. I actually played it off and on for more than ten years but as I said not every family had kids or adult kids in the hood. I build a lot, a mean a lot, so I may have 25 or more main hoods in the files and skip around depending on my mood. It's so much easier these days to have that many hood in the game with better pcs as it was when the game came out. But,yeah at least one hood (mine) I played for more than ten years.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • o0Sazie0oo0Sazie0o Posts: 29 Member
    edited June 2021
    I played all neighborhoods in Sims 2 about over 4 or 5 times, but I continue playing even the kids. It's fun following the legacy of my made up sims, following up with their kids as they grow up to adults. Then having them move out, following their journey as life continues on. I also made things a bit more difficult, so things aren't so easy. Like for example, flus are more deadly and more realistic.
  • FeisbukaiteFeisbukaite Posts: 703 Member
    I’m playing first save since 2014. I have two other saves I tried playing, but have no internet in them.
  • sFX_BuildersFX_Builder Posts: 34 Member
    I have been playing on mine for a week while playing 12 hours a day. I've only recently been playing live mode since I'm normally just a builder on The Sims 4. I will say though, for one playthrough, it's been a devastating experience when you make an actual sentiment/connection to these sims, and then something happens to them. For example just yesterday, I noted that some sims were passing away, and when I saw some sims my 1st gen's knew one day, the next, they were ghosts on the relationships tab. It's truly an amazing/devastating experience when actually living the full story. By the way, my sim became a famous Global Superstar photographer after many many hours of working on it. Private message me for more on his story.
    ~ SimFX Building Team | Zach C
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    @sFX_Builder You've posted this to a Sims 2 thread instead of a Sims 4 thread. Just as a heads up.

It took me a minute to realize what game you were playing and were worried you had corrupted your game - you can't have relationships with ghosts in Sims 2 like you can in Sims 3 or Sims 4.
  • DazedLlamaDazedLlama Posts: 15 Member
    I'm still playing with my first save I created back in 2006-2007 (I even don't remember the year). The family has 5 generations. I know it's not too many but some periods of my life I didn't play at all. Also there are so many households in this save and I try to play with each of them. In my first two generations my sims had many children, now I allow them to have only one child per family :) Recently I created one more family for the legacy challenge and there are already the 4th generation, but I play only with one household so it's much faster to live a sims' life.
  • WinthorpeWinthorpe Posts: 119 Member
    Mine is from 2014
  • Mizzila1297Mizzila1297 Posts: 620 Member
    It... varies. I have experimental neighborhoods/saves, and others I continue on for generation after generation. Also some more personal story driven saves, as well. Depends my mood! :D
    IVXXXVI wrote: »
    In all games, when I create a family I usually try and play with it as long as I can. I agree with you, Sims 2 is a bit hard to do that only because the town is not progressing that much, meaning that I for example have 7th gen sims and they have as their friends some people that the 1st gen sims had which is weird :D . I think Sims 3 is the easiest to keep a family going on and on and on because even with or without mods, the town manages to progress nicely. But yeah as for 2 the longest save was almost a year. As for 3 though, I play the same for almost 4 years and still going.

Yes! You understand! As much as I love the Sims 2, I find it can be quite tiring trying to progress storylines because everything happens so slowly. Even if a household gets married, dies, or has children it doesn't feel like I've done much because the other households are still waiting to be played. I've gotten quite far in my Sims 3 saves just by switching to a new family and seeing what they've accomplished while I've been away, so it never gets old for me. 😅
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I don't play legacy but might have a family or two that has grown older and their adult kids also live in the neighborhoods etc. I play the entire town (my own, never Maxis) and kept a save (still have it) that last more than ten years. It's why I can say sometimes corruption is overrated. I actually played it off and on for more than ten years but as I said not every family had kids or adult kids in the hood. I build a lot, a mean a lot, so I may have 25 or more main hoods in the files and skip around depending on my mood. It's so much easier these days to have that many hood in the game with better pcs as it was when the game came out. But,yeah at least one hood (mine) I played for more than ten years.

Woah, more than ten years?!?! 😨 I admire your dedication! That must be really cool to have a save file last that long! And your own neighborhood too! I've always wanted to dabble in neighborhood building, but it all seems so...overwhelming haha! 😅