Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5 sounding worse everyday šŸ˜‘ UPDATE 7/24/21

Comments

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    Cinebar wrote: Ā»
    Can't you just imagine the burn out the devs must be feeling by now. :o

Don't worry about that because the team is growing, new people are joining the studio.

Catharina Lavers Mallet (USA) is VP and GM, Maxis since April 2021 (Replace Joe Nickolls)
    Phillip Ring (UK) is Executive Producer since November 2020 (Works with Lyndsay Pearson)
    Isabelle Henriques (Spain) is Studio Director & Lead Producer for Live Services - Maxis since January 2021 (Replace Michael Duke)

That's nice but a lot more workers at the bottom of the chain might have a better result!
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    The good news, The Sims 5 should be released after 2029 or 2034.

They have plenty of time to think about how to do it well.

That must be some sort of inside joke at EA/Maxis. They can't possibly be serious.

On the other hand, that's enough time for at least 100 more Kits.
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Cinebar wrote: Ā»
    Can I say puke? Or do I have to say may I puke? For several years people like me and Reg had told people EA was going to head down this road of using players (influencers per se, etc. etc) to build cc and sell it back to the community for a cut of the pie. It was well known EA/Maxis had this in mind at least as far back as four or five years ago. We posted interviews and articles concerning all this upcoming way to play EA games. It's long been known they want to do this to all their games, aka, create marketplaces, where they promote and favor player content then sell it to the community and rake in more dough.

It was never clear how this would work in a life simulator like The Sims, but it was well known and we told people but many said it would never happen. It's clear from the interview it certainly will happen with the next 'Sim game', since she says they are hard at work to bring that experience to the game.

This is a huge thing for multiplayers who have to level up etc. and players create some object etc. that is sold in the games to be able to reach that next level. I can see it all now, how very divisive this all will be for the Simming community. It's already enough that they promote paid content even though for years they wouldn't permit paid content such as sold by TSR for years, but openly promoted them....but tell the rest of the community paid custom content was against the TOS/EuLA but here we are where EA/Maxis has decided oh, yes, we need to favor and promote those who borrow and use others creations and promote them to sell in our games, too, and we can also rake in more cash. Rather sickening.

And even more disturbing is the fact some think there is nothing wrong with this and long gone are the days when people shouted paid sites must die, but are willing to buy, buy, buy custom creations instead of doing it for the fun and sharing. And EA/Maxis even promote it against their own Eula and TOS. Ethics out the window.

On a happy note let's take a poll of what people would want this to be in this so called 'marketplace' and how many would want to work with others to build cc and sell it to the community. How all that would work, what is the cut for EA/Maxis and or the cut for how many is in a group and how much they get paid. I have popcorn. I did that texture! No, I did that texture! No, I recolored it! No I built all the houses! No, I drew up the blueprints,..... :D

Does anyone really believe this will all work out as a happy experience even for very close friends working on something by the complaints about the gallery where if you just move furniture and redecorate a house in TS4 and reupload it to the gallery you are accused of taking credit for the build? Lol..I will need to buy a lot of popcorn if this all happens.

I guess no one but some old times remember the warring sites who fought over one site stealing other sites ideas and custom meshes etc. and claiming stuff for their own and selling them to the public. Maxis doesn't really expect people to not be backbiters do they? Surely they ought to know better. People who play Sims are just as possessive of their content as they are their Sims. It's why it's not going to turn out well. They may share something but they sure as heck want the credit even it if it was just a shade of gray out of a million shades of gray. This is why a life simulator game like The Sims will be hard to fit into a multiplayer marketplace of selling creations and or even sharing the work of those creations for pay instead of fun. There is going to be a lot of hurt feelings to go around. :D

Yes, I'm rambling, but think how it's all going to work when a player has to complain about something and no one in that group actually wants to take the credit for a bad creation. No, it was so and so's fault, not mine. Or when they start grumbling about each other and how one didn't work as hard as the other or contribute as much. Fireworks! Just read multiplayer insider sites...there is a lot of cutthroat backbiting that goes on. I hate to see that all happen to this franchise, though we know it does even between custom creators right now, and no one speaks about it. But when money/pay enters a room things will change then we get the real stories. lol

It's actually already happening. People loose it if you change the hair color of sim base they upload cause they want credit for everything.
    giphy.gif

• BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    if you went the sims5 to be full offline and single play feel free to sign the petion in my signature if the sims5 go full online i will be sticking to the sims4

I'm asking out of curiosity do petitions actually do anything? Because I see a lot of them on Twitter but I've never actually signed one because I wonder if it would actually make a difference?

No not really, at least from what I've seen..like change.org I've never seem it actually change or do anything
    giphy.gif

• ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    if you went the sims5 to be full offline and single play feel free to sign the petion in my signature if the sims5 go full online i will be sticking to the sims4

I'm asking out of curiosity do petitions actually do anything? Because I see a lot of them on Twitter but I've never actually signed one because I wonder if it would actually make a difference?

No not really, at least from what I've seen..like change.org I've never seem it actually change or do anything

Change.org does about as much actual good as finger-painting one's political manifesto on the wall of a parking garage using dog poo.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    The good news, The Sims 5 should be released after 2029 or 2034.

They have plenty of time to think about how to do it well.

They said somewhat the same thing about Sim City 2013 and that franchise is now buried and gone so anything I hear EA/Maxis say I read between the lines.
    Omen by HP IntelĀ®ļø Coreā„¢ļø i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    Pary wrote: Ā»
    Nice to see EA still holding strong to their mantra of "We never learn from past mistakes"

/eyeroll

Let's all laugh at an industry that never learns anything, tee hee hee.

As far as forced online goes, let's just say there's a reason I have many hours in Cities: Skylines and zero hours in SimCity 2013.

Yeah, Sim City 2013 was not an failure only because it was forced online, it also was not the game it was said to be in the beginning. EA/Maxis failed in providing what was promised and failure to tweak what they had. However with all that Sim City 2013 had some good ideas but was not deployed to make it good.
    Omen by HP IntelĀ®ļø Coreā„¢ļø i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Nice to see EA still holding strong to their mantra of "We never learn from past mistakes"

/eyeroll

As far as forced online goes, let's just say there's a reason I have many hours in Cities: Skylines and zero hours in SimCity 2013.

Yeah, Sim City 2013 was not an failure only because it was forced online, it also was not the game it was said to be in the beginning. EA/Maxis failed in providing what was promised and failure to tweak what they had. However with all that Sim City 2013 had some good ideas but was not deployed to make it good.

I played both games and Cities: Skylines blew SimCity 2013 out of the water. While I didn't like the online component, I ignored it. But the gameplay was just not good. After SimCity 4 the franchise went downhill. Remember SimCity Societies or whatever it was called?? Eeew.
    Mstybl95 wrote: Ā»

/eyeroll

I played both games and Cities: Skylines blew SimCity 2013 out of the water. While I didn't like the online component, I ignored it. But the gameplay was just not good. After SimCity 4 the franchise went downhill. Remember SimCity Societies or whatever it was called?? Eeew.

I still really love Sims 4 and only wanted a the same again but better, if you understand me! A Sims 5 will do better if it sticks to the form of one of the first 4 versions or a combination of all of them and not a complete rethink of the whole concept and lose what we loved in the originals.

I've bought a lot of Cities: Skylines but it wasn't the same and I only got a little into it and then gave up. I've got SimCity Societies, Destinations (2nd Pack) when on sale and it will play on Windows 10 and does have a little of the Sims game charm with the little Sims strutting about.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member

/eyeroll

I still really love Sims 4 and only wanted a the same again but better, if you understand me! A Sims 5 will do better if it sticks to the form of one of the first 4 versions or a combination of all of them and not a complete rethink of the whole concept and lose what we loved in the originals.

I've bought a lot of Cities: Skylines but it wasn't the same and I only got a little into it and then gave up. I've got SimCity Societies, Destinations (2nd Pack) when on sale and it will play on Windows 10 and does have a little of the Sims game charm with the little Sims strutting about.

This is exactly what I wanted, too. I just want the gameplay elements of TS2, the open world concept of TS3, and the better build/buy/CAS from TS4. And it's like specific things they can improve of each game that would make the most amazing new game. Like I enjoy the smaller open world of TS4, but I feel like each little neighborhood should be completely open. The other lots should be interactable without a loading screen. TS2 had interactions that were well thought out and the animations were so good. The attraction system, the two different relationship bars, the hobbies, interests, etc...they all made the game so enjoyable. I still think TS2 was the gold standard of gameplay. It just needs updating and tweaking. And the build/buy/CAS from TS4 is darn near perfect. The only changes I would want is to make the floor tiles be able to be placed without a room because that feature messes up so many builds due to trying to delete something, but now outside features are inside. And in CAS, I'd like sliders to go with the push pull system. Sometimes you just need to be precise and it's hard to grab exactly what you are aiming for when a body part can go in multiple directions. To me, this would be my perfect game.
    edited May 2021

/eyeroll

Oh man I loaded that game up and after never loaded it up again, it was really bad for me. :D I love Skylines and got every pack.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
  • Randie_ReignsRandie_Reigns Posts: 59 Member
    I understand that game developers want to evolve and try new things. They want to keep up with the times and bring in new players. I'm a creative person. I try new things all the time. I get it. I used to play a game called Yoworld on Facebook. It loved it because it was Sims-like. I even enjoyed some aspects of the online world. But mostly, I played it alone. I liked to decorate the homes and I only played the social part as a way to earn money for more stuff for my homes or to find discontinued items. People held events like pageants where you dressed up according to the host's theme and people sold old stuff in a yard sale fashion. That was interesting. I wouldn't mind that too much in a Sims online. There was even a group that I hung out with when I felt like being social. It was fun. I did enjoy it.

However, after many, many years, the gameplay changed. Items became more expensive. The game economy dramatically changed. People sell items for crazy high prices. New store item prices are insane, especially the cash items and what you could make through normal game play stayed the same. Eventually, the game as I knew it died. The people I played with stopped playing.

Today the game is full of scammers, trolls, and bullies. Very young kids posing as older players and pedophiles posing as kids. The game can be hacked with outside software. Nothing left to enjoy since it takes a good bit of real money to have enough coins to decorate the homes. I fear most online games of lifesim genres are this way from the start now. So I have no interest in Sims as online aside from maybe a private server where I could invite who I wanted to.

I turned back to The Sims so I could do what I enjoyed the most. Building and decorating. Sims 4 is beautiful and easy to build. I would like to see it expanded on. What I hate about the game is the gameplay. I'm the kind of player that likes to build things, then sit back and watch my Sims live in it and I'm not the only player who plays this way. I like a lot of AI and a lot of autonomy. Sims 4 lacks there and it limits how much I can create in the worlds. But I do love some things about 4 and I liked it a lot when I first played it.

I've already made posts about what I want to see in a new Sims game. So I won't repeat it here. How about a compromise developers? Follow your vision for the future of the Sims. Fine. It's your company. But how about making something for the ones who have loved it as it is for a decade? Make a Sims Forever. (I don't think that's a real game, but it would be a nice name since we know it from existing games. LOL) Update Sims 2. I've read enough forum posts to see that the majority of players loved it the most. It's almost perfect. Add semi-open world to it and the updated graphics, (CAS and Build of 4) and I think a lot of players new and old would be extremely happy for the most part.

I wouldn't even care if that was the only improvements to the game. If the game came out as one big updated package and cost 200 dollars to own. It would be worth it for me to be able to customize every single aspect of my world and watch the Sims live in it and make me laugh the way they did back then. (I really miss how the Sims looked at you when you were idol or directed them to do things opposite of their traits. Epic. Ah. It's the little things.)
  • EliteGirlEliteGirl Posts: 537 Member
    edited May 2021
    I think Little Sim World would be good at replacing The Sims series. Basically, it's a life simulation game with cute little chibi characters and takes place in London. In Little Sim World, you can decide whether to play single player or with more than one person. Plus in Little Sim World, there are cars and buses. Little Sims World is also an open world. You can find more about it here:
    https://lsw.gg
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Holiday wrote: Ā»
    EA goal isn't the old loyal players, EA wants to reach the billions people who don't play The Sims yet.
    Gen Z is the first target, a new generation who never played the previous games with a completely open mind for a MMO TS5.

The Sims 4 is probably the last game designed for the long-time players.

Couldn't agree more, it's so sad. It's evident at this point that EA doesn't care about what their consumers who have been around for the past 20 years want or care for, it's all about grabbing the attention of a completely new demographic and jumping on the bandwagon of all these online multiplayer games popular at the moment. All I can say to that is shove your Sims where the sun don't shine.

Because a simple fact is if youā€™re a 20 year customer you have likely aged out of their key demographic and you are no longer who theyā€™re targeting or trying to attract.

I was outside of their demographic on day 1 Sims 1, being 50 something at the time, and having heard about the game while doing a research paper on EA for grad school. Agree with all of you though.

/eyeroll

This is exactly what I wanted, too. I just want the gameplay elements of TS2, the open world concept of TS3, and the better build/buy/CAS from TS4. And it's like specific things they can improve of each game that would make the most amazing new game. Like I enjoy the smaller open world of TS4, but I feel like each little neighborhood should be completely open. The other lots should be interactable without a loading screen. TS2 had interactions that were well thought out and the animations were so good. The attraction system, the two different relationship bars, the hobbies, interests, etc...they all made the game so enjoyable. I still think TS2 was the gold standard of gameplay. It just needs updating and tweaking. And the build/buy/CAS from TS4 is darn near perfect. The only changes I would want is to make the floor tiles be able to be placed without a room because that feature messes up so many builds due to trying to delete something, but now outside features are inside. And in CAS, I'd like sliders to go with the push pull system. Sometimes you just need to be precise and it's hard to grab exactly what you are aiming for when a body part can go in multiple directions. To me, this would be my perfect game.

Really. Don't forget that in TS2 we have 26 faces to pick from, and the opportunity to right click any/all of the other 25, up to 9 times each (10th time selected that face). That's a lot of possible combinations. Sliders could be added to some of the clothing accessories, like leggings. Color wheel would be nice too.
    I think Little Sim World would be good at replacing The Sims series. Basically, it's a life simulation game with cute little chibi characters and takes place in London. In Little Sim World, you can decide whether to play single player or with more than one person. Plus in Little Sim World, there are cars and buses. Little Sims World is also an open world. You can find more about it here:
    https://lsw.gg

Cute, but reminds me of what we had back in the 90s. Have reservations it could replace the current Sims series. Too restrictive.
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    Little Sim World probably wonā€™t replace The Sims, and Paralives might not either. But I think itā€™s great that The Sims will have competition now. Maybe thatā€™s why they are looking to hiring someone to do core upgrades on TS4. They are aware that other games are starting to cause players to take a look at them, even if they are still in development.
  • Clancy57677Clancy57677 Posts: 10 New Member
    To tell you the truth, if i want a multiplayer game I'll play roblox, thats what makes The Sims games special, you have control over everything. (almost) I don't think that I would play TS5 if it was a multiplayer game, the entirity of the sims games are aimed twords introverts.
  • Randie_ReignsRandie_Reigns Posts: 59 Member
    So here's the thing. We as players are at the mercy of the creators. We can come here and beg, plead, and, demand. At the end of the day it is a business. Charts and sales dictate the direction. In other words, what they are doing, sells. Which means what we are currently getting will continue as long a players are grabbing every single thing they give us. Personally, I have stopped buying. For the first time ever, Sims does not keep me interested long enough to justify the expense. I am awaiting the next game. Trying to have hope, but I am also fully aware of how a business works. Us long time players and castaways were once their demographic, now we are not. What we enjoyed is not the same as what another may enjoy.
  • LishacakeLishacake Posts: 296 Member
    I wish I understood why EA is so ardent about pushing online-only for their IP's. It doesn't work for the Sims; we all have different ways of playing the game. I like to share what happens in my game in the form of screenshots, but I don't want to directly interact with other people in-game. Such a shame.
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    I wish I understood why EA is so ardent about pushing online-only for their IP's. It doesn't work for the Sims; we all have different ways of playing the game. I like to share what happens in my game in the form of screenshots, but I don't want to directly interact with other people in-game. Such a shame.

It's because the beancounters up in the high-rise offices only see the numbers that other "successful" online multi-player games make and think to themselves, "I want a piece of that! What an excellent idea!" and then they pat themselves of the back. They're so busy thinking that they could, but never stop to think if they should. They only see the potential for money and nothing else.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
    Those who want more gameplay in an open world might find this interesting.

"Following its acquisition of British developer Codemasters, it looks like EA is once again expanding its portfolio of developers - as the company is launching a new studio led by former Monolith Productions VP Kevin Stephens.

The studio doesn't yet have a name, but we do know it will be based in the Seattle area and will work on an open-world action-adventure game (via GamesIndustry.biz). During his time at Monolith Stephens oversaw projects such as Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor and Middle-earth: Shadow of War, so he's had plenty of experience working with this genre.

Stephens will be reunited with EA senior VP and group general manager Samantha Ryan, who was formerly president of Monolith and worked with Stephens. Ryan told GamesIndustry.biz that "the action-adventure space is a hugely important genre in our industry, and to us at EA."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-05-20-ea-opens-new-studio-led-by-former-shadow-of-mordor-exec
  • AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,533 Member
    Wow. Sims5 already? I feel like they have given us nowhere near as much content as Sims 3! So that's disappointing. I've loved the way vampires were done and the interactions of Sims generally. I feel like they really did improve the Sims themselves. BUT...at the expense of the amazing open world that they just never could get to work right. :(

For the love of puppies though EA do NOT make Sims5 an MMO! Instead, give us CO-OP! Because I would dearly LOVE to be able to play this game with my friends and ONLY my friends. Or, if you're truly going to go the multiplayer route, learn some things from Funcom. GIVE US PRIVATE SERVERS. I'd NEVER touch Conan Exiles on the official servers but I LOVE private servers and host my own. The future of multi-player games is not being thrown into a public pool full of pee... because that's exactly the experience you get in most MMOs. Far too many people are just simply awful. But the ability to play with our FRIENDS? Oh bliss! Yes please!

I'm also a little excited by them doing it on the Unreal engine. I hope it means we'll finally be able to have really beautiful and also fully customizable Sims of all ages.

For those of you really worried about Sims5 being an MMO I'd say that you shouldn't. Because I think EA knows what a disaster that would be. The more I consider it, the more I think they probably will make it much more like the popular survival sandbox games out there now. Obviously the gameplay will be far different from those games but official servers that have a lot of restrictions on them and are geared to being kid friendly will likely be a thing. But so will a single player mode, a co-op mode, and private servers so that communities can be formed among like-minded Simmers. This is how Conan Exiles operates and it's actually an excellent model. I don't THINK EA is dumb enough to go the MMO route when so much more potential exists with this other model that can attract a much more diverse audience. People who would never touch the Sims might be tempted if they have the freedom to create and play with other people that is offered by sandbox games that have a private server option. And there's no way they'd fail to offer single player mode as well. That's just too well established for this franchise.

My hope for this game on Unreal is the return of the open world and that it'll be BEAUTIFUL. So, overall, right now I'm optimistic. Let's hope EA doesn't let me down!
  • Jaline33Jaline33 Posts: 1,167 Member
    I guess I should have realized this when The Sims 4 was released half-baked. Even now, I end up playing many objectives (Uni, I'm looking at you) and doing Sudoku puzzles while my poor Sims grind away.

This used to be an open sandbox style of play - with tons of selections and gameplay options for everything. It meant active involvement from the player - making decisions and choices, and bearing the consequences of those decisions and choices.

Now that I think about it, it's rather pathetic that I sit and do puzzles while I wait for my Sims to get from A to B - because there are no 'slides' into C, D or E, F options and consequences that run the gamut from silly to serious to fun to "uh-oh".

Dang. I really miss the *real* Sims and the stories I could create. (As opposed to pressing 'start' and it unfolds like a D-rated TV show).
  • Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    Just want to add my voice to the many others who have commented that I don't want a multiplayer game for the Sims. If that is the direction they decide to go with no option for single player then Sims 4 will be my last game. Like someone else said, I will play it till the wheels fall off or I die whichever comes first. I just hope they put in an attraction system.