Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gender Neutral Options.

Comments

• WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    edited May 2021
    Onverser wrote: »
    I just really hope if they do add more pronoun options they'll do it properly and make them optional so we have choice. I worry that they'll take the lazy route and just nerf all gendered text and replace it all with "they" as it's easier, like when they nerfed occults instead of giving players the choice.

Till now it was him or her based on townie's gender. When they add non binary, they'll add they to him/her. Based on townie gender, him/her/they will appear in text. What's hard I guess is different languages to translate to.
    I just really hope if they do add more pronoun options they'll do it properly and make them optional so we have choice. I worry that they'll take the lazy route and just nerf all gendered text and replace it all with "they" as it's easier, like when they nerfed occults instead of giving players the choice.

I really hope they don’t take the easy route.

I also miss Vlad invading my Sims homes, when I first got Vampires it was practically every night. Now it’s hardly ever. 😩😩😩.

I too miss vampires breaking into my home. EDIT: I mean, my sims home. :D
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    EA takes the time and money to cater to gender neutral activists but not to actual players. Cuz it makes them look like they care about people's rights when they've fired people just to keep from giving out bonuses.

Sims are gender neutral enough as it is. How is this meant to enhance our gameplay?

Money talks yo. Once companies started realizing that pretending to care about the LGBTQIA+ movement brought in revenue, its a no-brainer they'd go all in.

Disclaimer: Im not saying that no one inside these companies actually cares, but if a growing social movement looks like it would bring in a heck of alot of revenue, they'll look like its #1 supporter if it means you'll buy something.

Me anyway, I dont care about having the wokiest game that ever existed. Options are great, but can we focus on the need for gameplay that lasts longer than 10 minutes? I play a game to be entertained for a few hours, not judge if it passed its "woke test".
  • GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    edited May 2021
    I'm a cisgendered, bisexual woman, who's married to a bisexual, masculine presenting, non binary man, who's pronoun preferences are 'they/them'. I absolutely think that for the sake of individual game play choice that a toggle button to turn gender aspects on and off should be included. In my game style I've played trans and gender non conforming characters, I've also played across the spectrum of sexuality for my Sims as well, but at some point in the future I may just randomly decided to start a new save and create white bread, straightsville land, or Terf world, or Lesbian separatist island, or the society of Benedictine monks r us. Granted it's unlikely that I would actually play any of those examples, but I'd still at least like the choice to do so.

*edited to add: Sorry I didn't make it clear enough, I don't think. I mean a game option to turn any gender presentation off. Like only have male sims generate, or only female, or only non binary, or two out of the three in any combination, or all three. Just some choice would be good.
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Wolfium wrote: »

Till now it was him or her based on townie's gender. When they add non binary, they'll add they to him/her. Based on townie gender, him/her/they will appear in text. What's hard I guess is different languages to translate to.

That's what I'm saying, I hope they'll do it properly like that rather than taking the easy option and changing all text for all sims to they/them regardless of gender.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited May 2021

From reading the petition that's out there, it looks like people wish that the game will use neutral language instead of language based on what body type you picked for your sim. They do mention the problems with sims having 18 different languages and are aware how difficult this might be.

Making all messages gender neutral in the game is no easy task... but what I mostly wonder about is what other game mechanics that relies on gender and if that needs to be changed too. Like babies, relationships, job roles, outfits, I simply don't know how much the game looks up what gender your sim is in the game code... but I imagine this needs to be updated too for them to do it right.

So yeah, I worry that they will take the lazy route too and remove gender from the game instead of updating the game for a third option. If they stick to just messages in the game, then that's fine but I'm not sure it's that easy.
  • WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 844 Member
    Everybody's acting like Maxis is going to turn the frogs gay. Chill. They aren't going to ruin your OTP's

Just like every other gender & sexuality related thing they've added to the game, it will be a matter of player choice.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Agreed it would help to hear from those identifying as non binary/gender neutral as to how they would like it to be added to the game.

We have. Maxis has. This conversation has been ongoing. They were replying to it, saying "we are aware, we want to do this right, but with this many languages (all of which handle gender differently), it's difficult.

They haven't even said it will happen. They have said they are aware of the issue. How? Because people have been requesting it. This isn't new. All that is new is that a live stream gave it a sentence or two of acknowledgement. Apparently, that is enough to mobilize the anti crowd to demand a "hide it" button.
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    Wolfium wrote: »

That's what I'm saying, I hope they'll do it properly like that rather than taking the easy option and changing all text for all sims to they/them regardless of gender.

They won't change all text to only they/them regardless of gender, because in code him/her is variable (based on gender variable) while the rest of text is constant. They'll just add new pronoun and gender and it will be inserted in text same way. Also, if you change male sim to female, the text will be changed from him to her.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,456 Member
    edited May 2021
    logion wrote: »
    From reading the petition that's out there, it looks like people wish that the game will use neutral language instead of language based on what body type you picked for your sim. They do mention the problems with sims having 18 different languages and are aware how difficult this might be.

@logion ,
    I’m interested in reading this petition. Would you be able to provide a link?
    edited May 2021

@logion ,

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 Here you go. :)
    https://www.change.org/p/ea-games-pronoun-options-for-trans-and-non-binary-sims-in-the-sims-4

@logion ,

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 Here you go. :)https://www.change.org/p/ea-games-pronoun-options-for-trans-and-non-binary-sims-in-the-sims-4

Cheers! 👍🏼
    Right so,
    I’ve read this (quite popular? ) petition. This is what they’re asking:
    If we could have the option to choose pronouns for our sim or for the team to switch older game texts to be gender neutral like current pack dialoged it would be impactful for those of us who are still unable to truly feel represented in the game by having our sims selves misgendered.
    To this:
    If we could have the option to choose pronouns for our sim
    I’d say of course! That’s fair. Why not? Abso-blooming-lootely. Options, Options. (Options is the Magic Word!)

To this:
    or for the team to switch older game texts to be gender neutral like current pack dialoged it would be impactful for those of us who are still unable to truly feel represented in the game by having our sims selves misgendered.
    I’d say why?
    Calling for all game texts to be gender neutral is the same thing as me asking for non binary/ transgender options to be omitted (which me nor anybody else did as far as I know). Same principle, unless I misunderstood.

Did I misunderstand? 🤔

Ps: Trying to learn, not to offend.

• ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited May 2021
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Agreed it would help to hear from those identifying as non binary/gender neutral as to how they would like it to be added to the game.

We have. Maxis has. This conversation has been ongoing. They were replying to it, saying "we are aware, we want to do this right, but with this many languages (all of which handle gender differently), it's difficult.

They haven't even said it will happen. They have said they are aware of the issue. How? Because people have been requesting it. This isn't new. All that is new is that a live stream gave it a sentence or two of acknowledgement. Apparently, that is enough to mobilize the anti crowd to demand a "hide it" button.

The livestream was where I heard this. I don’t have access to other media you say, I’m not on the forum as regular as I’d like, so I don’t know what you mean.

There is no anti crowd. Wanting choice doesn’t equate hide it. Neither does the idea of a toggle button. It’s about choices.

Adding things in shouldn’t change the way you play or have texts that’s disruptive to the game style chosen. It should be the players choice.

Being aggressive is unhelpful. I will always give my opinion because this is a place to talk.

Give. Us. The. Choice.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited May 2021
    Sindocat wrote: »
    I'm worried about how it would come across in text like if you were saying they the group but also had to
    talk about what the gender neutral sim was doing in the group but the sim is also called they
    surly they wouldn't call the sim it would they

Dost thou employ singular I'm"you", to refer to an individual? If so, the care one takes is similar. Allow context to inform thee of which is called for or meant, or rephrase if concerned that thy meaning is unclear. With practice, thou wilt find that singular "they" (which is older in recorded usage) is no more confusing that using singular "you" instead of "thou, thee, thy, thine," which is the grammatically singular construction. I bet thou dost so already every day without a thought.

Until it's about acknowledging that some people are different in a way thou would rather ignore.

well clearly I'm not ignoring anyone other wise I wouldn't be here I'm afraid I didn't understand much of what you said
    okay I re read it three times now I understand
    no way I do not talk that way I do not use a signal they
    the they I use it comes in twos
    no thees or tho or thine and for me it works just fine
    but anyway I mean to offend no one I hope you like my poem @Sindocat
    Post edited by comicsforlife on
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited May 2021
    I do think it is good and important to represent everyone, I did think personally we already got this with customised genders and made it possible for males to wear female clothing vice versa, I'm not sure how much more there is too add to this, please don't take this the wrong way, someone please educate me if there's more to add
    Right so,
    If we could have the option to choose pronouns for our sim or for the team to switch older game texts to be gender neutral like current pack dialoged it would be impactful for those of us who are still unable to truly feel represented in the game by having our sims selves misgendered.
    To this:
    I’d say of course! That’s fair. Why not? Abso-blooming-lootely. Options, Options. (Options is the Magic Word!)

To this:
    or for the team to switch older game texts to be gender neutral like current pack dialoged it would be impactful for those of us who are still unable to truly feel represented in the game by having our sims selves misgendered.
    I’d say why?
    Calling for all game texts to be gender neutral is the same thing as me asking for non binary/ transgender options to be omitted (which me nor anybody else did as far as I know). Same principle, unless I misunderstood.

Did I misunderstand? 🤔

I think the first one is the game changing the messages in the game depending on what pronoun the player chooses and the second one is the game instead having messages that are gender neutral.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'm trying to learn too.
    Nikkih wrote: »
    I do think it is good and important to represent everyone, I did think personally we already got this with customised genders and made it possible for males to wear female clothing vice versa, I'm not sure how much more there is too add to this, please don't take this the wrong way, someone please educate me if there's more to add

Hi 👋. The livestream I saw were thinking of adding ways Sims could identify as gender neutral. They are working on ways to try and make this happen.
    Texts would have to change to say they rather than he/she.

I don’t know if they would do a toggle but this is what I’d like. I would like the choice.

edited May 2021

Hi 👋. The livestream I saw were thinking of adding ways Sims could identify as gender neutral. They are working on ways to try and make this happen.
    Texts would have to change to say they rather than he/she.

I don’t know if they would do a toggle but this is what I’d like. I would like the choice.

Ooh I understand now, so they are working on represention of people that don't indenitfy themselves as neither male or female ?, I don't see the harm in the developers adding this in, they could add the option next to the female & male symbols

Ooh I understand now, so they are working on represention of people that don't indenitfy themselves as neither male or female ?

Yes that’s it. I want options as it just doesn’t appeal to me.

Ooh I understand now, so they are working on represention of people that don't indenitfy themselves as neither male or female ?

It personally doesn't appeal to me either but I do think representing everyone or unless add an option there is very important, toggles is the good way to go with everything I think

It personally doesn't appeal to me either but I do think representing everyone or unless add an option there is very important, toggles is the good way to go with everything I think

A toggle button would be sweet 🎉🎉🎉. That way everyone can choose what they want.

A toggle button would be sweet 🎉🎉🎉. That way everyone can choose what they want.

agreed
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Right so,
    To this:

To this:
    I’d say why?

Did I misunderstand? 🤔

This is exactly what I'm worried about and why the one-sidedness bothers me. So it's okay to erase all male/female pronouns but not okay to erase all non binary pronouns if they were to be added?
    If maxis is reading this, please do not allow traditional male/female pronouns or references to get erased. I'm a girl playing with boy and girl sims.
    Any one who chooses to play how they decide is perfectly fine. But don't erase my sims identity.
    I stand by those who want "CHOICES"
    if pronouns are to be added. Just like I wanted choices on rather my sim should go to a restaurant and gobble it in two bites or never be able to enjoy a long family dinner again but the choice was taken away by the loud majority complaining.

Don't take away our options. Add to them if you must. 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • mannannamannanna Posts: 466 Member
    edited May 2021

^
    This!

We all have to embrace your difference but it's okay for you not to embrace ours and if we bark we are called names. I can understand the struggles in real life but your feelings are not worth more than anyone else's.

Right so,
    To this:

To this:
    I’d say why?

Did I misunderstand? 🤔

This is exactly what I'm worried about and why the one-sidedness bothers me. So it's okay to erase all male/female pronouns but not okay to erase all non binary pronouns if they were to be added?
    If maxis is reading this, please do not allow traditional male/female pronouns or references to get erased. I'm a girl playing with boy and girl sims.
    Any one who chooses to play how they decide is perfectly fine. But don't erase my sims identity.
    I stand by those who want "CHOICES"
    if pronouns are to be added. Just like I wanted choices on rather my sim should go to a restaurant and gobble it in two bites or never be able to enjoy a long family dinner again but the choice was taken away by the loud majority complaining.

Don't take away our options. Add to them if you must. 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

yes please