Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Hates Children trait Controversy: and the solution.

2...Next

Comments

• logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    Let us all agree to disagree and move on.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    As someone who doesn't like children in real life, I like the Hates Children Trait. Kids are annoying :D

I'm glad they made this trait more substantial. I love having negative traits, and I love more negative traits in the future.

The game doesn't need to be sunshine and roses all the time. I need more DRAMA and CHAOS in my game so it's not a bore.
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    redrogue60 wrote: »
    There's actually a controversy about the Hates Children trait? How utterly stupid. There is a whole list of things to get upset about in Sims 4 that are actual problems with the game. You know what I hate? I hate the overly sensitive, self-righteous, entitled, way too easily "triggered", PC squad who have to have everything dumbed down and made safe for them because they can't handle anything in a mature way.

Honestly I don‘t understand how they survive in the real word. They must never leave their house. I need a „hates Gen Z“ trait.

• redrogue60redrogue60 Posts: 2,053 Member
    edited May 2021
    There's actually a controversy about the Hates Children trait? How utterly stupid. There is a whole list of things to get upset about in Sims 4 that are actual problems with the game. You know what I hate? I hate the overly sensitive, self-righteous, entitled, way too easily "triggered", PC squad who have to have everything dumbed down and made safe for them because they can't handle anything in a mature way.

Honestly I don‘t understand how they survive in the real word. They must never leave their house. I need a „hates Gen Z“ trait.

I don't dislike certain age groups because not everyone is like that. It's just certain types of people. There are folks who far older who based on what they say I wonder how often they hide under the bed.
    “All mushrooms are edible, but some only once.” Terry Pratchett
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited May 2021

I don't dislike certain age groups because not everyone is like that. It's just certain types of people. There are folks who far older who based on what they say I wonder how often they hide under the bed.

Those far older don't tend to worry what they say and probably couldn't kneel to get under the bed.

They've learned the hard way that nobody listens to them when they're old anyway and often stick them in a care-home, marvelling in the funny things they sometimes come out with.

In fact they've more in common with their grand children than children.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I see no need to rename or remove anything the hates children trait is just fine as is. Some people love drama in their game if this trait gives them even a little of that because this game is in desperate need of it that's a good thing don't like a trait the easy solution is not using it much like the vegan trait in my game.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    edited May 2021
    Interesting you brought this up because I could never figure out why that was in the trait section either. I mean "hates children" seems to almost imply that a sim with this trait will be mean to children sims or maybe, even suggest they'll punish them in some way if they are bothersome to them or like one poster said, "kick them when no one is looking", lol.

Regardless, I always end up removing this trait too because it doesn't add anything anyway. I don't notice the sim with the trait reacting any different. So it just ends up as something that sounds rude in the CAS trait options and maybe "dislikes" children would be better since you still get the idea.

I also think EA was just being funny when they added the trait and that's okay. Though I guess some of us are not offended, but just like for the game to be more real with certain things and honestly, I've never met someone in RL who said they hated children or acted like they did.
    Post edited by MsKatieRose on
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
    calaprfy wrote: »
    Hates Children sims should have a "kick toddler when noone is looking" interaction.

There should be a "scared of cats/dogs" trait.

Well now the first one would definitely be controversial!
    logion wrote: »
    Let us all agree to disagree and move on.

If only, lol.
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    edited May 2021
    I would love to just have a Childfree trait. For sims who don't want children of their own and will refuse to try for baby, but who doesn't get tense or angry in presence of other kids. The may even love kids in general!
    I almost never use Hates Children trait because usually I don't want my sims to hate anyone lol, but I would like to imply that some of my sims are just don't want that responsibility.
    Edit: and what I dislike about Hates Children the most is that sims with this trait always smash the dollhouse! Leave it alone please!
  • simplyzoesimplyzoe Posts: 428 Member
    Since the beginning I have never used this trait, I don't like the word hate especially! Dislikes Children would be better, simple word change. Also there should be a 'LOVES Children' similar to Cat Lover and Dog Lover traits. Simple changes would appease the fans and no more controversy! PS Personally I would love to see the Shy Trait come back.

Not all Sims need to be like ourselves.
    They can be like others. I know, I too find it incredibly hard to believe, but there are other kind of people in the world besides ourselves.
    Leave some conflict in this game, including words that represent conflict.

I feel that all this watering down of words and gameplay features comes from such a self-centered place. Perhaps that was a very selfish thing to say, who knows, but these so called “simple changes” will cause controversy regardless, because here are a bunch of us yet again pleading Maxis...(Maxis if you read this please don’t change the trait name as well 😭) not to turn this game into Happy CottonWool Land in which all our sims are like cute little earbuds with cute little names teleporting from cotton cloud to cotton cloud where nothing bad ever happens to them.

What if I’m the kind of person who simply hates the word “Love” or “Good” because I don’t believe in that stuff? Should I complain because I think being goodie goodie is all just a load of humbug?

If someone is bothered by the word “Hate” and feels it needs to be replaced by “Dislikes” then any trait that includes the Antonym of the word “Hate” (which is Love) also needs to be replaced with something less extreme, in this case “Like”.

Then we end up with dull words like: Dog Liker, Cat Liker. Dislikes Hamsters:

oh yea, by the way...I kinda dislike hamsters. I think they’re kinda meh. I also kinda ..dislike kids too...whatever... *shrug*”

Come on, where’s the passion here? Do we really want to strip this game from every single extreme word and gameplay there’s still left?

If this trigger tantrum trend continues the game will turn into a dead, rotten fish and I would really dislike (hate!!) to even touch that mess.

PS: I would also love to see the return of the shy trait. I’m an extremely shy person myself.

You have a good point and really anyone can avoid conflict in the game if they really want to and if they are using the game to escape negative. This conversation has brought to my attention the fact that I have not really enjoyed the game, that stuff used to make me laugh with the other editions of the game. I'm checking out the different traits I've not played before and I bet they end up making me laugh.
  • MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    Can somebody explain to me the recent controversy surrounding the Hates Children trait? I don't get it.

And for that matter, I dont use it ever, i love my sims to have children.
  • ReitannaReitanna Posts: 294 Member
    i don't see a problem with "hates children," and i use it on many sims. if you hate a word, you sort of gotta get over it because the word is widely used and you are going to come across it. i come across words i hate all the time, and some trigger my PTSD. i can't change it or ask people to censor it just for me. i hate racial slurs the most, and yet, people still use them. if they changed "hates children," they'd have to change every time the word "hate" shows up. this game is rated T for teen, not E for everyone (implying small children who are taught that "hate" is a "bad word"). if you ask me, requesting a change is sort of silly.
    I'm so old, I remember when "hashtags" were called POUND SIGNS.

K7ZEXAi.png
  • EliteGirlEliteGirl Posts: 537 Member
    edited May 2021

The trait doesn't say Hates "Minority group" which would be a valid argument and the vitriol would be understandable. It says "Hates Kids" which many people do, which keeps them from having them or being comfortable in their presence. The game doesn't have those that hate kids attempt to start fist fights with them or abuse them in any way, which again I can understand having an issue there as well, but it doesn't. So it boils down to people having a problem with a word choice. Which is pretty lame.

The first question we should ask ourselves about this is does the trait work as intended and has actual game play value? If yes, then leave it alone. If no, then tweak it until it does. The second is why doesn't the Sims 4 have a Preference system? Many "Traits" aren't really traits they are preferences we have to waste one of our (fewer than other Sims games) Trait slots on.

If we had a Preference system then all the likes and dislikes could be bunched up together and we could toggle between them or select amongst pre-selected choices. If I was doing things this is sort of how I'd go about Preferences.

Favorite Colors: Choose two
    • Baby Blue
    • Baby Pink
    • Beige
    • Black
    • Blue
    • Bronze - Metallic
    • Brown
    • Copper - Metallic
    • Crimson
    • Cyan
    • Emerald Green
    • Gold - Metallic
    • Green
    • Grey
    • Hot Pink
    • Hunter Green
    • Indigo
    • Lavender
    • Lemon Yellow
    • Magenta
    • Maroon
    • Navy Blue
    • Olive Drab
    • Orange
    • Peach
    • Purple
    • Red
    • Rose
    • Royal Purple
    • Saddle Brown
    • Safety Yellow
    • Silver - Metallic
    • Teal
    • Violet
    • White
    • Yellow

Then the actual outcome for the color preferences would be that the preference would enhance their liking of rooms, clothing, objects, etc. Much the same way we do in real life. Having more than one Color Favorite tends to be more usual in real people. It can also be a question you can ask a Sim you are trying to get to know. Also having a wider selection pool keeps the NPCs and Townies from having the same choices over and over.

Preferences could also be influenced by what the Sim happens to be.
    • Vampire Sims can have one of their Favorite Colors be changed to Crimson upon their change
    • Plant Sims will have one of theirs be a shade of Green
    • Sims in the Military career will like Olive Drab automatically

You can do the same for
    • Favorite Food - Choose Three
    • Favorite Musical Genre
    • Favorite Book Genre
    • Favorite TV/Movie Genre
    • Favorite Activity - Choose Two

As for other types of Preferences they could be the Toggle between type.

Loves Kids > Hates Kids
    Hot Weather < Cold Weather
    Love Dogs > Hates Dogs
    Love Cats > Hates Cats
    Love Horses > Hate Horses
    Loves Cities > Hates Cities
    Loves Countryside > Hates Countryside
    Loves the Beach > Loves the Beach
    Loves the Mountains > Hates the Mountains

Notice I'm not doing Loves Dog > Loves Cats. By not making it an either/or situation you get more nuance. Also, in my mind picking certain Traits, like Family Oriented should make certain preferences automatic. If you are a Family Oriented Sim you'll automatically Love Kids.

Redrogue60, I like your suggestion of three favorite foods, two favorite colors, favorite music genre and TV genre, as well as two favorite activities. No offense but not everyone is into reading and not everyone is into musicals. I do agree that the "Family Orientation" and "Childish" features remain the same. I mean, MOST Family Oriented sims do like kids. And there ARE childish adults in real life. Having the "Childish" trait doesn't mean that childish sim wants to have kids, it just means the childish sim is immature and acts/behaves like a teen/kid. And having the "Family Oriented" trait means that family oriented people care about their family (or most or some of their family".
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    I never used it, but tried it. Not sure what the problem would be. The haters of children don't do anything to really deserve the name. I gave my sim the evil trait and everything and they just wanted to do nice things with kids. The hate is completely watered down. I didn't find the hates children/ evil trait to be bad enough to be interesting to play.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2021
    Since the beginning I have never used this trait, I don't like the word hate especially! Dislikes Children would be better, simple word change. Also there should be a 'LOVES Children' similar to Cat Lover and Dog Lover traits. Simple changes would appease the fans and no more controversy! PS Personally I would love to see the Shy Trait come back.

No there shouldn't, since that may lead some people to think it has a romantic connotation. Family Oriented already does what you think a "Loves Children" trait would do.

Honestly I don't see anything wrong with the word "Hate" you're being triggered by nothing, though "Dislikes" is about the same thing. Doesn't really add or take anything away, so your suggestion is pointless.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    Notice I'm not doing Loves Dog > Loves Cats. By not making it an either/or situation you get more nuance.

Well, that, and some of us in the real world love dogs AND cats...and a bunch of other kinds of animals too! If it's fuzzy and you can keep it as a pet, I've probably had at least one in my house at some point in my life!

(he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited May 2021

I like the trait, and the name and the opposite trait would be family oriented. The controversy is dumb, just people hunting for reasons to be offended.
    calaprfy wrote: »
    Hates Children sims should have a "kick toddler when noone is looking" interaction.

And, coffee shot out my nose! 🤣😂🤣😂

Kironide wrote: »
    Have you been on the forums lately? Two extremely long related threads were shut down due to the emotive nature of the responses this issue sparked.

Third time’s the charm.
    I’m just not sure yet who’s gonna benefit from what.

To Nerf Or Not To Nerf.

We could always just ask for a toggle for each trait name and a toggle for how the trait affects the game and a toggle for those who do not want these toggles and a toggle for those who don’t want those specific toggles but need a toggle for something else.

It’ll become A Game of Toggles.

Beautiful. ❤️

Ladies & Gents! I present you the new and improved TS4 Toggle-rama anti emotional trigger system!

nvysbxZ.gif

😂😂😂. I have got to get me one of them machines! 😂😂😂

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top