Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mods and what to do without them?

So as of today. I have to say goodbye to mods for the Sims 4 which makes me sad, but unfortunately they are harmful to my laptop which is a gaming laptop but it is over 5 years old and probably due to "pass-away" soon. I love using mods for the Sims 4, makes it more fun for me. Anyways the reason I am posting this is I wanted to know how you guys make the game fun for you without mods? I still can use Custom Content, just no mods.

Lets hear some fun ideas, on how to make the sims 4 more fun without mods <3<3<3

HAPPY SIMMING :smile:

Comments

• haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    edited May 2021
    Are you sure mods are having such a big impact on your computer? That sounds unusual if the game and mods are working as they should.
  • Court322Court322 Posts: 108 Member
    I've been trying to think with both perspectives. Maybe it's the mods, or maybe my computer is just getting old? I've been told that laptops are usually good for two to three years and it's 6 or 7 years old. I'm going to leave mods out of my game for now/computer for now and see how things go. Thank you for the new train of thought. I will keep that in mind.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited May 2021
    I would quit playing the game if I couldn't use mods. I know that's not helpful or what you want to hear but the game is abysmal without them.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Without mods, I have to take serious consideration into which packs I want to actually install. For example, because I don't like Vampires, I mod them out of my game. If I can't mod them out of my game, that means I cannot have the Vampires game pack installed.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I think you've got it wrong. The CC is what will cause problems, just because of high poly counts and hd textures. Mods usually don't cause any issues unless you haven't been updating them after patches. In which case, if you just update them, then there shouldn't be any problems.

As far as playing without mods, good luck. I lasted 6 days before all the bugs and lack of anything interesting happening put my back on the wagon. I do suggest you update your mods and look at what conflicts.
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I would quit playing the game if I couldn't use mods. I know that's not helpful or what you want to hear but the game is abysmal without them.

I agree, but maybe for now I will just play without them. Like I said to @haneul I think it's the mods, so I'll play without them for a while, but I will keep MCCommand Center for sure.
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    I think you've got it wrong. The CC is what will cause problems, just because of high poly counts and hd textures. Mods usually don't cause any issues unless you haven't been updating them after patches. In which case, if you just update them, then there shouldn't be any problems.

As far as playing without mods, good luck. I lasted 6 days before all the bugs and lack of anything interesting happening put my back on the wagon. I do suggest you update your mods and look at what conflicts.

Thank you so much for the tip(s)!!! I will definitely try that, it could also be still that my computer/laptop is over 5 years old and someone told me they typically last 2-3 years. But, again, thank you for the advice I will surely look into it. All the mods I use have a discord account, and I intend to ask all of them for advice as well.

Have a wonderful weekend!
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited May 2021
    When i had my old laptop (a few months ago) i couldn't play with mccc. It overheated my laptop. Now i can play with it but decided i prefer to play sims 4 without story progression and i just prefer smaller mods to tweak specific things that i want to change.
    Back to your question, well... i don't know. I can't play without mods. At least, not without mods that fix bugs... Eta: ...and mods that fix whims. I play mostly with whims.
    Post edited by texxx78 on
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Use to play vanilla for a long time. With the mods I have now, they're usually minor ones. Never played with super big mods as they tend to cause more problems and exceptions errors, especially since there's a chance they might conflict with another one.

Also be mindful of just cosmetic CC as there are items (majority being hairs) that weren't properly optimized and have too high of a poly count.

With Get Together use to make various groups. Even a gang or two that liked to start fights with other sims be mean and etc. Made things interesting when they'd pop up somewhere and end up causing drama.

Had my sim just bumming around mooching off people. Wasn't allowed to have a job to get the things they want, instead borrowing money and the like from sims not returning it once i got my charisma higher. Or even stealing other sims furniture for my sim.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,810 Member
    I have one mod in my game. UI Cheats which I use to adjust needs when my sims don't have time to eat and sleep and pee. I have no bug fixing mods. No personality mods. And I manage to find plenty for my sims to do and have fun. What mods have you had to remove? How do you play? Rotational? One family? What packs do you have?
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,116 Member
    I've never used mods or CC (except for one woohoo mod). For me, the fun lies in creating interesting characters in CAS, and then giving them a personality that goes with the look. No family play, no story lines, just events.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,862 Member
    Only mod I REALLY need is MCCC , if playing with single sim household, I play free will off, so there I do not even need that, other but story progression.

But as lately I have played with pretty large households, I like to have free will on, and then I "need" my other mods. But with heavy tuning with the autonomy scan, I could do that too, with only MCCC on.

As I do not care about whims, those are more likely extra points for aspiration rewards.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    edited May 2021
    So there's this aspiration challenge that @mcrudd posted here, just an idea of a casual way to guide your play without mods - doing aspirations is a great way to find some purpose in your game play, I've found. And earning reward traits is always super motivating for me. There are also a lot of cheats you can use too if you're wanting to tweak things in your game. I *might* be able to live without mods, but I couldn't live without cheats haha.

(That being said, I play a heavily modded game, so it would be a big adjustment for me to just stop using them)
  • ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    Without mods this game is not worth it IMO. Even if one were to exclude all gameplay mods, there are just too many good tweaks and fixes that make the game better. My PC is older and is working just fine with tons of mods, so I heavily doubt it is mods that cause issues. But yeah - mods, mods and mods. Otherwise I would have quit the game long, long time ago.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,950 Member
    I play a vanilla game. I play a large rotation, every household is different and they work on different skills and things. They interact with many other characters in my rotation. I have all the packs and kits, but no CC or mods. Active careers are one thing that tends to make the game more interesting for me, that, and clubs. There is still so much I haven’t even explored yet, and @Chazzzy I rarely come across occult’s much in my game. I tend to make many venues for them to frequent. If I want my sims to take a vacation, I usually make a holiday called vacation. I play with aging turned off most of the time. Sometimes I will focus on careers, sometimes I focus on children’s clubs, other times on teens. With so many families, it makes a game less boring, if I do get bored I can always go into manage worlds and change the townies up a bit giving them a set of new clothes and hairstyles. get rid of ones I don’t like and make new ones, go in and change up my venues, or download and redo some I have down loaded, or occasionally make my own. For many rabbit hole careers I will make work places, like an office building, that has an office, that my CEO, other business sims, lawyers etc. can use. One 20x15 lot has an office building with the top floor an office, and a reception office, the next floor an office with several computers for my techies, and a coffee machine. The main floor has Bathrooms, a waiting are with bookcases, and sofa’s and a children’s play area. The first basement floor has a cafeteria (cafe), and a mini kitchen and bar with a workout room, massage area and steam room. The next floor, has a CEO suite, and the bottom floor has a spy headquarters for my secret agents, and a laundry mat. Outside in back is a small pool, with a meditation stool. On the very top is a Bar-B-Que area with a table, grill and bar. I have this lot marked as cafe, so others will show up to the lot as well as the household i take. This way if I want my sim to interact with others they can. I can take them by household, or by clubs, and virtually every sim including toddlers have something to do. There are so few lots in the game, many of my lots hold several functions. I have a science lot marked generic, but could be marked bar also, I downloaded this venue long ago, and have added to it. It has rocket ships, and a telescope on top ( open top floor ). The second floor has bathrooms, a mission control area ( with several computers, like an air control center), another area has several telescopes, with a reception desk with computer leading in, and break area with a revenue machine, a cupcake machine, microwave, and coffee machine, and a table for breaks. Up front is a bar area. The main floor is partly outside with a picnic table, grill, meditation stool, and yoga mat.... it also has a dumpster and recycler. The inside area of this floor has a mini arcade with the different arcade games. The other inside half has some children’s lab sets. I added basements to it. One basement floor has a small bedroom, and bath area, and and area for sales/company meetings, with sofa, chairs, etc. and I recently added a children’s playroom, with even a tiny room for a toddlers bed and I also added restrooms with a toddler toilet as well. One basement floor room is made for scientists, another for archeologists, so it like many other venue lots are multifunctional, many have at least one bedroom so I can take entire households there and some can get sleep for their job, while another is working on a skill, and others are socializing, doing work homework, or accruing fun. I made a retail mall and hospital, for doctors, shoppers and teens. I have downloaded 3 different other retail malls, none of the malls have bedrooms, but have various shopping places and ways to have fun. One of my nightclubs has a hotel so my DJ can work while others in the household, eat, sleep, or do homework. I find one way to add fun to my game is to have various things to do with various sims at one time, my sims go other places a lot, because I can fulfill most of their needs one way or other, and it makes the game more interesting and fun. I find Imagination also adds to the fun as well as so many different household with different interests.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Maybe you could go into more detail on what exactly is happening with your laptop.

Like @haneul said, CC is usually the culprit that causes issues due to the shear amount people have, the high poly counts (not sure if you are an alpha or maxis match person) and of course the HD textures (if you have them).

Is your laptop overheating?
    Is the game slowing down?
    Is it taking forever for the game to load?

How much memory does your laptop have?
    How much free space on the drive does it have?

• KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    I don't currently use any mods in my game and haven't for a while, though I have in the past. Sometimes, I find the Sims autonomous actions enormously frustrating, but I guess I've mostly learnt to roll with the punches and adapt my gameplay style to be more of a micro-manager. I hope that's at least a little bit inspiring? Probably not. Anyway, good luck! Sorry :)
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,810 Member
    @SheriSim57 sounds like you're having a great time with your game. These are the types of posts I love to read because I get so many ideas for my own gameplay. Time to add some multifunctional lots. 😀
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    My advice is to simply use all the features you have available to make each household and lot as interesting as possible. For my sims I make sure all of them, even the households I don't play or interact with, have appropriate relationships/sentiments, careers, skills/hobbies, clubs, weather preferences, reputation, fame, degrees, lifestyles, and character value traits. For all my lots, residential and community, I make sure each has a solid collection of activities, exclusive club hangouts, lot traits, NAP's, Eco Footprint, and appropriate utility sources. I also like to balance out the variety of lot types available throughout the worlds, my favourites being vacation lots, Community Spaces, Arts Centres, Cafes, Restaurants and Retail shops. I find when all these features are established throughout the entire game is when the best of the Sims 4's vanilla gameplay comes to life, seeing how all these elements bounce off and influence each other is always interesting, and at times, extremely chaotic.