Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A bunch of graphics issues

Hi all, I skimmed through the posts to see if anyone has had these problems, but I didn't see anything. Hope I'm not making too redundant of a post.

I installed the Sims 3 onto my 2020 Macbook with M1 chip. It runs very well, but I've run into a bunch of graphics issues I've never encountered on PC. From the least to most annoying:

1. Some thumbnails are randomly outlined in purple or have black backgrounds. It's weird but I don't really care.
2. Blocky eyelashes. From what I've heard, this is an almost universal problem on macs. My Sims are a little uglier than I expected in general, but IDK if it's my graphics or the game itself. Also not too bothered by it.

Now two more annoying problems:
1. terrain paints don't work. at all. I try to use them and it doesn't "stick." It also deletes all other paints on the lot. So I can only have brush-sized circle of terrain paint on a lot at any time. Hopefully I explained this issue well enough.
2. This has only affected one of my lots so far, so I think it's an issue with a specific texture/object. Whenever the walls are up, if I position my camera towards the house at a certain angle, the entire screen (minus UI) flashes reds.

These last two issues I'd really like to find a solution for, especially the terrain paints since it's on every single lot, unlike the red flashing.

Comments

• puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    These issues have all been documented on Answers HQ, where the info about the 64-bit version is being gathered and EA people were reading the threads post-release. There's less info here because there aren't many Mac players here, and most of the ones that do show up here are also over there.
    1. Some thumbnails are randomly outlined in purple or have black backgrounds. It's weird but I don't really care.

This is a known issue with M1 Macs and (so far) doesn't have a solution. Sorry.
    2. Blocky eyelashes. From what I've heard, this is an almost universal problem on macs. My Sims are a little uglier than I expected in general, but IDK if it's my graphics or the game itself. Also not too bothered by it.

Known issue; feel free to click Me Too and post.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-64-bit-bulky-eyelashes-grainy-hair/m-p/9661677#M12230
    1. terrain paints don't work. at all. I try to use them and it doesn't "stick." It also deletes all other paints on the lot. So I can only have brush-sized circle of terrain paint on a lot at any time. Hopefully I explained this issue well enough.

Ditto:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-64-bit-Terrain-paints-not-applying/m-p/9667984#M12459
    2. This has only affected one of my lots so far, so I think it's an issue with a specific texture/object. Whenever the walls are up, if I position my camera towards the house at a certain angle, the entire screen (minus UI) flashes reds.

Ditto again:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-64-bit-red-flashing-game-window/m-p/9664938#M12080

For the last one, if you happen to find out what exactly is causing the red flashing, I'd love to know. I've had a suspicion that some texture or textures are the problem, and I always meant to take apart a couple of my affected builds to try to figure out what. But I never got around to it, and as far as I know, no one else has figured it out either.

If you do want to test, try deleting items and replacing the flooring, walls, and windows until the red flashing goes away. It's kind of tedious though, and I wouldn't blame you if you didn't have the patience.
  • LogicallyironicLogicallyironic Posts: 137 Member
    @puzzlezaddict thanks for the links!

Shame all these issues don't seem to be figured out yet.

And with regards to the red flashing, I also think (in my case at least) it's a specific texture. It only started happening after I was furnishing the second floor of the house affected, and I don't think it's lot size. In my game, all the other pre-built mansions are fine. It's also not just a brief flash of red, but it will take over my entire screen until I change camera angle.

If I find the time I might go ahead and check the objects/textures, but as I mentioned it's a mansion so that will take a while.
  • Heehee_BearHeehee_Bear Posts: 13 New Member
    I find the red flashing only happens on large lots. I also have this weird issue where my screen goes square even though it says that it is 2560x1080 :neutral: