Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gender Neutral Options.

ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
edited May 2021 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
I heard on a livestream they were going to include gender neutrality in the Sims. I hope it’s going to be a toggle button so it’s a choice. I think that would be fair, having options is important. Everyone plays differently.
Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
Post edited by ncisGibbs02 on

Comments

• Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    I heard on a livestream they were going to include gender neutrality in the Sims. I hope it’s going to be a toggle button so it’s a choice. I think that would be fair, having options is important. Everyone plays differently.

I agree.... I would like it to be a toggle too, because I kind of like it the way it is now.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    Choosing to be gender neutral will likely be a button of some sort. Then your choice it not to use that button.
  • Options
    BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    edited May 2021
    My problem is I randomize romantic preference, and my straight sims may be dating a non binary sim without knowing. I.D.K. About you, but I would feel bad saying a sim is a boy or girl when they are not... Sims should 100% get the option to ask pro nouns. EDIT: Other than this, I.D.C. Really.
  • Options
    WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    I guess they'll add non binary in CAS gender settings so it will be a choice for played sim, but NPCs will be randomly generated as male/female/neither.
  • Options
    JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited May 2021
    The skintone update made random generated sims even worse. I hope this non binary thing doesn’t make it even more weird when it comes to their clothes. I would be more fine with it if we can somehow have a toggle to stop new random generated sims.
  • Options
    BookBearBookBear Posts: 488 Member
    My problem is I randomize romantic preference, and my straight sims may be dating a non binary sim without knowing. I.D.K. About you, but I would feel bad saying a sim is a boy or girl when they are not... Sims should 100% get the option to ask pro nouns. EDIT: Other than this, I.D.C. Really.

I don't think townies can be randomized with the gender cuztomizations already in game, so that most likely won't happen.
    Offering free hugs for your time of need.
    8763f1fcdeee963323782673c8c95eee.gif
  • Options
    WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    BookBear wrote: »

I don't think townies can be randomized with the gender cuztomizations already in game, so that most likely won't happen.

It could be new icon next to male/female, so townies will be generated with it. idk
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited May 2021
    They will probably add it as an option.

I have no idea how they are going to do it though.
  • Options
    TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    logion wrote: »

Maybe they'll add it to the current CAS options? That'd seem like the easiest idea and would be done on per-sim basis rather than global, which would make little sense.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • Options
    erixaaerixaa Posts: 17 Member
    I like the idea but how would it be executed?
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited May 2021

Maybe they'll add it to the current CAS options? That'd seem like the easiest idea and would be done on per-sim basis rather than global, which would make little sense.

Probably, I just wonder how much the game needs to be updated in order to support it. There is probably a lot of code in the game that relies on a sim being either a {M0.him} or {F0.her} as it is defined in the game code.
  • Options
    Charolette_MagdaCharolette_Magda Posts: 16 Member
    I like the idea of it being an option, and I feel like it will be an option in CAS. That is what makes the most sense to me anyways.
  • Options
    Justin wrote: »
    The skintone update made random generated sims even worse. I hope this non binary thing doesn’t make it even more weird when it comes to their clothes. I would be more fine with it if we can somehow have a toggle to stop new random generated sims.
    I have never like the clothes the computer picks for townies. 😫😫😫. Sims usually have a formal top and then swim shorts and even the colours don’t match!
    Probably, I just wonder how much the game needs to be updated in order to support.
    Yes I’m wondering about that and how big the patch size is going to be! 😱

• Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    All types of sims people: male, female, trans, drag, bi, neutral, either, whatever, it, multisex & eunich.
    If I left anyone out please forgive me, I'm not very political correct.
  • Options
    KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    You might want to add pan sexual and asexual :)
  • Options
    SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member

I agree with you 100 percent. I hope it's a choice. No one can complain if we have the option to use it or not to use it.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    Seeing as I already get male townies wearing dresses in my game (without mods), I don't think it will make much difference to townie generation. And that's not because their clothing preferences are set to female, its just the screwy way the game dresses them.

I imagine this will probably more a player thing, like the ability to create trans sims, I don't think you will see it much on townies sims, apart from a few ones that come with newer packs.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    I have a simple question because I am but a simple man...He/Him/Dude or IT on days when I look like a clown.

If gender neutral was to be added aren’t there other gender identities that need to be added? Or how should I see this? How does this work? Should I not call it gender identity?
    You have to forgive me but googling anything gender related these days confuses me.

I understand folks want to be represented ‘n all, but from a developers point of view I can imagine that trying to implement different gender identities and different pronouns and make it work for everybody (without offending anyone) would be a complete and utter nightmare!

Which genders should be included, or is it only the additional one (gender neutral) and then everybody will be happy?

What if this worked like story progression? With the tick the game replaces text to show gender neutral. If you don’t check it the game runs as is. I don’t know if that’s too simple as I’m not a computer programmer. It was just a thought.

• Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    "I noticed that some of the Sims in my neighborhood are Black (like Vivian Lewis). Is there a toggle I can use to prevent that from appearing in my game?"

No, of course I don't mind that Sims vary, and have diverse skin tones. But everyone asking to omit non-binary options, this is what you sound like. Maybe re-think why you have the objections you have.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    edited May 2021
    Sindocat wrote: »
    "I noticed that some of the Sims in my neighborhood are Black (like Vivian Lewis). Is there a toggle I can use to prevent that from appearing in my game?"

No, of course I don't mind that Sims vary, and have diverse skin tones. But everyone asking to omit non-binary options, this is what you sound like. Maybe re-think why you have the objections you have.

I don’t think anyone here is asking for non-binary options to be omitted. I believe this is more about not wanting non-binary pronouns to replace “ he” or “she”. I’m not trying to speak for anybody else though, but this is something I would object to. My sim is either born he or she and anything beyond that should be optional.

That being said, I’d have no problem with npc’s being generated with different gender identities if that’s how they want to express themselves.
    However, I would certainly be against full automatic replacement of he/ she with they/ them, just because it’s perhaps the easy way out from a development perspective.
    Non-Binary (or whatever else is out there) could be optional in CAS similar to the way I choose either male or female, skin tone, hair colour etc. but where do you stop?
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I'm worried about how it would come across in text like if you were saying they the group but also had to
    talk about what the gender neutral sim was doing in the group but the sim is also called they
    surly they wouldn't call the sim it would they
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    Justin wrote: »

My solution to this is to, upon seeing a townie I don't like the look of, go into Manage Worlds (this has the added benefit of periodically prompting me to save my game, useful in case of crashes), and give that sim a complete overhaul.

My simworld is "50s sitcom", American-red-state level of traditional. But I am delighted that options exist so that no matter what kind of world people want to play in, we can all do it in game. As someone else put it:
    NoTalent wrote: »
    Inclusion is good, having it be a toggle is better. If I don’t want black/Asian/white/gay/lesbian/non-binary Sims in my game, that is fine. Because it’s my game.

I support adding it so people can represent themselves. Do it. Give me the option to disable it if I don’t like it. If I don’t want non-binary people in my game, that doesn’t impact anyone else. If I don’t want transgender people in my game, that doesn’t impact anyone else. Et cetera.

Give. Us. The. Choice. That's all we're asking. We're not asking for it to be not included, we're simply asking for the option.

(he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options
    NoTalent wrote: »
    Sindocat wrote: »

You’re reaching and you know you are. I hate these topics because you cannot argue against them without appearing like the bad guy. It’s impossible to debate this. Inclusion is good, having it be a toggle is better. If I don’t want black/Asian/white/gay/lesbian/non-binary Sims in my game, that is fine. Because it’s my game.

I support adding it so people can represent themselves. Do it. Give me the option to disable it if I don’t like it. If I don’t want non-binary people in my game, that doesn’t impact anyone else. If I don’t want transgender people in my game, that doesn’t impact anyone else. Et cetera.

Give. Us. The. Choice. That's all we're asking. We're not asking for it to be not included, we're simply asking for the option.

Yes exactly! 👏😎.

The livestream didn’t say how they were doing to go about bringing gender neutral texts. ‘It’s not a destination but a journey.’
    That’s very vague. They must have some ideas so why not share them? Even if they don’t work out at least we’d have some idea how they’re going to implement this.

I’ve got diversity in my Sims but I don’t want to lose he or she texts because that’s how I play and set up my stories.

So yes,
    Give. Us. The. Choice.