Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

๐Ÿ‘ PUT ๐Ÿ‘ THE ๐Ÿ‘ SIMS ๐Ÿ‘ 2 ๐Ÿ‘ ULTIMATE ๐Ÿ‘ COLLECTION ๐Ÿ‘ ON ๐Ÿ‘ ORIGIN

Comments

• kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    I've managed to finesse TS2 UC for a few friends after it was "pulled." You just need to speak to the right rep.

I'm listening.... please go on

I'll PM you.

Customer service is already often not very helpful, bothering them with something they've told you to leave them alone about is not going to help. The higher ups made the decision and you are just harassing the messenger.

Maybe at some point in the future they will have another giveaway. My husband is of the opinion that their release of UC in the first place was a way to say "Here. Now we're done with it." He's probably right, but we can dream.

Counterpoint: if customer service keeps telling their managers that people KEEP asking for Sims 2, eventually the managers will have to let THEIR bosses know about it

Make enough noise, and your complaints move up the corporate ladder. That's just How To Talk To Business 101.
    wJbomAo.png
  • EmzyDalsvidaEmzyDalsvida Posts: 15,617 Member
    I bet it's not PC enough. After all, woohooing LOOKED like woohooing and there were all kinds of interesting things happening.

Can't have us actually playing a life simulator!

imagine playing a life simulator when there's a perfectly good build simulator being expanded on right now!!!
    No, Steam, not Origin.

The only advantage Steam would have is that it has the Steam Workshop--but EA already doesn't support mods, so they're not gonna add Steam Workshop support.

I like Steam too, but the only difference between Steam and Origin really is that they're different names for the same thing--a program that lets you download and play games. When you get down to brass tacks, that's really all you'd be using either for in the context of The Sims 2, playing the game.
    wJbomAo.png
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,093 Member
    Counterpoint: if customer service keeps telling their managers that people KEEP asking for Sims 2, eventually the managers will have to let THEIR bosses know about it

Make enough noise, and your complaints move up the corporate ladder. That's just How To Talk To Business 101.

I don't know how much the various parts of EA actually communicate with each other, but that's a valid point.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • AmayzAmayz Posts: 1 New Member
    If you have a Mac you can go to the App Store and download the sims 2 super collection! It doesnโ€™t have all the packs I donโ€™t think but still super fun and runs better on my laptop than sims 4!
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,093 Member
    edited May 2021
    Amayz wrote: ยป
    If you have a Mac you can go to the App Store and download the sims 2 super collection! It doesnโ€™t have all the packs I donโ€™t think but still super fun and runs better on my laptop than sims 4!

It only has a few packs, but that is a good option for Mac users who don't have a Windows partition set up or don't have UC.

It really is too bad they never finished it. I don't think they felt there were enough Mac players at the time for it to be worth it, and they were probably right. I didn't make the switch until 2009, just before I bought Sims 3. I've had to have a Windows partition set up since because I won't give up my ability to play with all the packs.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited May 2021
    YES PLEASE!!

....And the Sims 1. They should remaster Sims 1 & 2 and sell them.

They'd make a lot of money from them, because a lot of people played them when they were younger, and would pay to play them again.

It doesn't really make sense why they're not available to buy...is EA afraid of the competition? :D

Honestly, yes I do think that. I think that EA doesn't want any of its current game user base to be able to play TS2, unless they already have an old CD-based copy and can get it working. Too many people would complain that TS4 is just a graphically upgraded and otherwise strictly inferior product to TS2. I don't think they mind the TS3 / TS4 comparison, because the open world of TS3 makes direct comparisons difficult. That wouldn't be the case with TS2.

That's not me hating on TS4 -- I have it and like it. It's just me being honest about assessing the quality of the closed world TS2 game against the quality of its decade later closed world TS4 cousin.

If that was true The Sims 3 would've been taken off Origin too. It doesn't hold water.

You didn't read my comment very carefully. I stated that I don't think that they mind the TS3 comparison, because it's open world. My conclusion may be wrong, but the logic itself isn't.

You people put too much stock in open world.
    If open world was this amazing feature that made TS3 a totally different game to TS4, then surely that would be the kind of competition EA would want to avoid.

The fact of the matter is they don't have TS2 on Origin because it's old. That's it. That's the only reason. It's nearly 20 years old.
    They'll stop selling Sims 3 in ten years, too.

When TS4 ends, they might re-release TS2, when it's no longer a threat to TS4, if it makes you feel any better. They might also release a TS3 Ultimate Collection then as well.

It's not a threat to TS4!
    If TS2 is a threat, then so is TS3.

I don't know why you're mad at me. I'm not the one who is preventing TS2 from being sold on Origin - that's EA. Be mad at them. I'm just telling you why they won't, smh....

Mad...?

29d.jpg

You wrote this to me:

As if I had anything to do with TS2 not being sold. I'm just directing your anger to the people who truly have power over TS2's availability - and that's EA.

So don't tell me that TS2 is not a threat to TS4 - I have no power to get EA to sell it again. You need to make your argument with EA and convince them! Smh....fighting with the wrong people.... No wonder you're not getting anywhere with your demands.

I know what I wrote.
    I still don't know why you think I'm mad at you. I barely even remember your name.

Was I rude to you? Why are you making this personal? I'm just telling you who you should try to convince (EA) and not to take that energy out on people here like me since I'm so insignificant. You're putting me down even though I'm not fighting with you.

Responding to me that way isn't going to get TS2 into store. Stay focused! Smh....

Post edited by ClarionOfJoy on
  • TheStarrSimmerTheStarrSimmer Posts: 206 Member
    My TS2 is on origin, I have the ultimate collection...but I had the all the ep and sp so they gave it to me for free...But I do agree, EA should put a compatible version of TS2 out for purchase. Maybe even bundle it with TS1 and give it a clichรฉ, gimmicky name like, "The Sims Ultimate Classic Special Edition Vol 1"
    Snap_5bFm8Er5qd514231703.png
  • SimsAddict_244SimsAddict_244 Posts: 274 Member
    Already got it. Now I just need S1, please!
  • s_stutlers_stutler Posts: 380 Member
    Tonight, I literally lost track of time playing TS2- that used to happen more than I care to admit some 10+ years ago. I realized very quickly, the only mods I have in my game, are cc clothing, skin, hair, and makeup. Along with some baby outfits and nursery items, and a few custom food options. That is all that is really missing from that game. Its sad really, TS2 is a proper simulator, and I honestly think, many of the young generation who prefer family play, would find that version so much more appealing, they would stop playing TS4 (at least until or unless they give family players, more family play options) - and EA knows it. I cannot figure out any other reason why they will not allow the new generations of Sim players, to experience TS2 for themselves.
  • mikkimouse1978mikkimouse1978 Posts: 1,497 Member
    I have so many mixed feelings about The Sims Franchise.

First, I fell in love with The Sims, and enjoyed to eater eggs that were there, adopting your own dragon, the magic, all of that jazz. I fell in love with the Goth Family.

Then the Sims 2 came out. OMG, that was a mind blowing gem. It picked up - basically - where The Sims 1 left off and built on it. Now, we have a new backstory and Don Lothario - which was my favorite sim ever - don't ask why. Plus, I loved owning my own business. I ran everything from an Art store, to a bakery to a brothel (yes I wrote brothel). I absolutely loved dating in the sims and them going out on dates, shopping was fun, Plus, here, I believe is where we got the customization options in furniture and the first real set of cheat codes. Other than the world not being open concept, The Sims 2 was the most perfect game that came to mind.

Then The Sims 3. This injured my love for the game. While I love the game, it was - no matter what type of computer you had - slow. Most of the quirkiness from The Sims 1 and 2 were taken away and replaced with different things that were not as recognized as The Sims as previous games. While I did grow to love The Sims 3, it did not have my heart.

Finally, the Sims 4. This killed my love of the game. I did like that it was faster and I did like the graphics, but it is boring. The free play was, in a way, replaced with goals and quests. There didn't seem to be much need for it.

I am not certain what to think about the Sims 5. After the shambles that is Sim City and the multiplayer aspect of it, I am not looking forward to it. Plus, if the past with Sim City is any indication, it is going to be so buggy that people will not be able to get on because of the server errors. They will, as they did with Sim City, have to make it where the game can be played offline, which will defeat their purpose of a multiplayer game.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    A faster machine is brute force

No it isn't. Explain how is it brute force? If it is brute force, then playing the ALL the old games is on brute force as well - not just TS3. So why the double standard?

A faster CPU lets TS3 take advantage of that feature to allow more townies, tourists and pets to be active in community lots and roam in the worlds. You wrote that there are problems and complications with a faster computer playing TS3, but you've not ever been specific while I've been specific about how TS3 has been better with it.

I think for Sims 3 to a certain point improving the computer would give better results up to a certain point. Beyond that it was hit or miss and players couldn't pinpoint exactly what was causing people with builds that well exceed the recommended specs to have major problems with the game.

In your example, more Sims going to lots could mean more Sims hitting routing issues inherent in the worlds and the lots, increasing lag as time goes on to a greater extent than someone with a processor that's just a step down from them.

It's one of those things that happens to games when you put them on systems that are significantly newer than the systems they were originally designed to run. The systems that the game was designed around have improved so much than the increase becomes the problem.

Here's an example:

Games used to use the CPU for timing purposes. Which was all fine and good until CPU speeds increased greatly. One of the Kings Quests games had a stick of dynamite you had to light and then take from point A to point B before it exploded for one step of the game. It's timer used the CPU speed. On a Windows XP laptop that was bare minimum to run Windows XP, you could take a step after lighting it and then explode. Luckily, you restarted from where you died, so you could make progress. I think it too me like 30 minutes to do what should have done in under 30 seconds. And that was with me running a virus scan in the background in an attempt to bog the computer down. The stuff game companies tell you to turn of and stop to improve performance.

No it isn't. Explain how is it brute force? If it is brute force, then playing the ALL the old games is on brute force as well - not just TS3. So why the double standard?

A faster CPU lets TS3 take advantage of that feature to allow more townies, tourists and pets to be active in community lots and roam in the worlds. You wrote that there are problems and complications with a faster computer playing TS3, but you've not ever been specific while I've been specific about how TS3 has been better with it.

In your example, more Sims going to lots could mean more Sims hitting routing issues inherent in the worlds and the lots, increasing lag as time goes on to a greater extent than someone with a processor that's just a step down from them.

I have a lot of sims in my worlds now but I don't have any lag because:
    1. Most fan-made worlds don't have that many routing issues that would cause increasing lag because they've had more time to quality check them. Nevertheless, lots of times, the routing issue can be fixed in Edit Town mode, but you can also report the issue to the creator of the world. They are very appreciative of such reports who can then fix the problem in their Create-A-World. There are also fixed versions of EA worlds if you don't want to fix them yourself.
    2. Regardless of how many sims there are in any world, the Overwatch mod catches routing issues. The mod notifies you when a sim is stuck and you can click on the sim's icon to go to where they are and see what the problem is. Lots of times, you can fix the routing issue right there and then.
    3. I also use the NRAAS mod, Go Here which can set all the sims in the world to be allowed to Teleport. They don't teleport for travel, but they WILL teleport if they're stuck. It is one of the main reasons why my worlds don't lag.

It's one of those things that happens to games when you put them on systems that are significantly newer than the systems they were originally designed to run. The systems that the game was designed around have improved so much than the increase becomes the problem.

Here's an example:

Games used to use the CPU for timing purposes. Which was all fine and good until CPU speeds increased greatly. One of the Kings Quests games had a stick of dynamite you had to light and then take from point A to point B before it exploded for one step of the game. It's timer used the CPU speed. On a Windows XP laptop that was bare minimum to run Windows XP, you could take a step after lighting it and then explode. Luckily, you restarted from where you died, so you could make progress. I think it too me like 30 minutes to do what should have done in under 30 seconds. And that was with me running a virus scan in the background in an attempt to bog the computer down. The stuff game companies tell you to turn of and stop to improve performance.

King's Quest is a bad example as The Sims 3 wasn't coded the same way. Even in faster computers, the TS3 devs were brilliant enough to code the game so that it scales with the CPU of any computer. Meaning that it maintains the same standard speed regardless of whether your computer is faster or slower. The game would then determine how many sims a lot can have depending on the power of the CPU - how many sims it can handle in any given lot.

That's why even though I have a computer with a faster CPU, the sims aren't running around doing everything at hypersonic speeds - but I do have much more sims coming to lots and being active in the world. It's really an amazing game and just shows how forward-thinking the TS3 devs are who developed the game engine. They really are brilliant!

• marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited June 2021
    I hate build mode
    and create a SIM in TS2 now tho :#

gameplay tho <3
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

1. Most fan-made worlds don't have that many routing issues that would cause increasing lag because they've had more time to quality check them. Nevertheless, lots of times, the routing issue can be fixed in Edit Town mode, but you can also report the issue to the creator of the world. They are very appreciative of such reports who can then fix the problem in their Create-A-World. There are also fixed versions of EA worlds if you don't want to fix them yourself.
    2. Regardless of how many sims there are in any world, the Overwatch mod catches routing issues. The mod notifies you when a sim is stuck and you can click on the sim's icon to go to where they are and see what the problem is. Lots of times, you can fix the routing issue right there and then.
    3. I also use the NRAAS mod, Go Here which can set all the sims in the world to be allowed to Teleport. They don't teleport for travel, but they WILL teleport if they're stuck. It is one of the main reasons why my worlds don't lag.

Here's an example:

King's Quest is a bad example as The Sims 3 wasn't coded the same way. Even in faster computers, the TS3 devs were brilliant enough to code the game so that it scales with the CPU of any computer. Meaning that it maintains the same standard speed regardless of whether your computer is faster or slower. The game would then determine how many sims a lot can have depending on the power of the CPU - how many sims it can handle in any given lot.

That's why even though I have a computer with a faster CPU, the sims aren't running around doing everything at hypersonic speeds - but I do have much more sims coming to lots and being active in the world. It's really an amazing game and just shows how forward-thinking the TS3 devs are who developed the game engine. They really are brilliant!

I was talking a comparison between 2 computers running the exact same mod set up - either with the mods or without. And I also mentioned that people weren't able to figure out the exact cause of why someone running a computer that should run the game smoothly is having bad performance. IE: a condition where the improved processor may cause problems due to the inherent problems in the game. Mods help remove or at least reduce those problems for most. But some were probably due to the better computer generating more Sims out and about and getting stuck in routing problems.

And you missed the point of my King's Quest example.

The example was to show an easy to explain example of how a computer component improving can significantly reduce performance in game if the conditions are right. Game companies have gotten better about making sure anything timed (such as the speed a Sim walks at) is set to something like the computer clock and not to something like the CPU. IE: something whose speed isn't going to change. So the cause of the decrease in performance in King's Quest with the better computer is less likely to happen to modern day games.
    YES PLEASE!!

....And the Sims 1. They should remaster Sims 1 & 2 and sell them.

They'd make a lot of money from them, because a lot of people played them when they were younger, and would pay to play them again.

It doesn't really make sense why they're not available to buy...is EA afraid of the competition? :D

Honestly, yes I do think that. I think that EA doesn't want any of its current game user base to be able to play TS2, unless they already have an old CD-based copy and can get it working. Too many people would complain that TS4 is just a graphically upgraded and otherwise strictly inferior product to TS2. I don't think they mind the TS3 / TS4 comparison, because the open world of TS3 makes direct comparisons difficult. That wouldn't be the case with TS2.

That's not me hating on TS4 -- I have it and like it. It's just me being honest about assessing the quality of the closed world TS2 game against the quality of its decade later closed world TS4 cousin.

If that was true The Sims 3 would've been taken off Origin too. It doesn't hold water.

You didn't read my comment very carefully. I stated that I don't think that they mind the TS3 comparison, because it's open world. My conclusion may be wrong, but the logic itself isn't.

You people put too much stock in open world.
    If open world was this amazing feature that made TS3 a totally different game to TS4, then surely that would be the kind of competition EA would want to avoid.

The fact of the matter is they don't have TS2 on Origin because it's old. That's it. That's the only reason. It's nearly 20 years old.
    They'll stop selling Sims 3 in ten years, too.

When TS4 ends, they might re-release TS2, when it's no longer a threat to TS4, if it makes you feel any better. They might also release a TS3 Ultimate Collection then as well.

I don't know why you're mad at me. I'm not the one who is preventing TS2 from being sold on Origin - that's EA. Be mad at them. I'm just telling you why they won't, smh....

Mad...?

29d.jpg

You wrote this to me:

As if I had anything to do with TS2 not being sold. I'm just directing your anger to the people who truly have power over TS2's availability - and that's EA.

So don't tell me that TS2 is not a threat to TS4 - I have no power to get EA to sell it again. You need to make your argument with EA and convince them! Smh....fighting with the wrong people.... No wonder you're not getting anywhere with your demands.

I know what I wrote.
    I still don't know why you think I'm mad at you. I barely even remember your name.

Was I rude to you? Why are you making this personal? I'm just telling you who you should try to convince (EA) and not to take that energy out on people here like me since I'm so insignificant. You're putting me down even though I'm not fighting with you.

Responding to me that way isn't going to get TS2 into store. Stay focused! Smh....

Not knowing who the heck all the various forum regulars are, on a forum I check maybe once a month, is kind of the opposite of "personal".
    giphy.gif

Your reaction to me saying "I literally cannot be mad at you because you're just a bunch of words on a screen and who's who on this forum doesn't matter to me" is....... unusual.
    wJbomAo.png
    edited June 2021

Here's an example:

I was talking a comparison between 2 computers running the exact same mod set up - either with the mods or without. And I also mentioned that people weren't able to figure out the exact cause of why someone running a computer that should run the game smoothly is having bad performance. IE: a condition where the improved processor may cause problems due to the inherent problems in the game. Mods help remove or at least reduce those problems for most. But some were probably due to the better computer generating more Sims out and about and getting stuck in routing problems.

You're using words such as "may cause" and "probably" when "people weren't able to figure out the exact cause". Basically you're just guessing that it's the CPU, but it could be other factors.

If something lags and it's not routing issues, it could be the memory as well as the type of storage, HDD vs SSD, for example. So someone could have a more powerful computer, but have installed the game to an HDD instead of an SSD. In that case, they could just simply add an inexpensive external SSD and move the game to that instead. In terms of memory, TS3 can only access less than 4gb RAM, regardless of higher capacity RAMs. It gets worse if you play the game in Windows 10 because that OS will try to use as much of your RAM as possible, leaving much less for TS3 to use. But a game booster, such as Razer Cortex, would drastically help there because a game booster manages the memory of the game as well as the memory of the computer. Not just for TS3, but for all your games.

For example, I noticed that there WAS lag in build/buy mode on my new computer when I first played TS3, but as soon as I installed a game booster, in this case Razer Cortex, it no longer lags in that mode. PLUS I don't get Error #(number) messages/events anymore. So it was, for me anyway, not a problem with the CPU, but memory. My new computer also has an SSD to which TS3 was installed (instead of an HDD) so items in CAS and build/buy load very fast!

The example was to show an easy to explain example of how a computer component improving can significantly reduce performance in game if the conditions are right. Game companies have gotten better about making sure anything timed (such as the speed a Sim walks at) is set to something like the computer clock and not to something like the CPU. IE: something whose speed isn't going to change. So the cause of the decrease in performance in King's Quest with the better computer is less likely to happen to modern day games.

Yeah, so your example of King's Quest has nothing to do with The Sims 3 which is what we're talking about. That's why it's a bad example.

Here's an example:

You're using words such as "may cause" and "probably" when "people weren't able to figure out the exact cause". Basically you're just guessing that it's the CPU, but it could be other factors.

If something lags and it's not routing issues, it could be the memory as well as the type of storage, HDD vs SSD, for example. So someone could have a more powerful computer, but have installed the game to an HDD instead of an SSD. In that case, they could just simply add an inexpensive external SSD and move the game to that instead. In terms of memory, TS3 can only access less than 4gb RAM, regardless of higher capacity RAMs. It gets worse if you play the game in Windows 10 because that OS will try to use as much of your RAM as possible, leaving much less for TS3 to use. But a game booster, such as Razer Cortex, would drastically help there because a game booster manages the memory of the game as well as the memory of the computer. Not just for TS3, but for all your games.

For example, I noticed that there WAS lag in build/buy mode on my new computer when I first played TS3, but as soon as I installed a game booster, in this case Razer Cortex, it no longer lags in that mode. PLUS I don't get Error #(number) messages/events anymore. So it was, for me anyway, not a problem with the CPU, but memory. My new computer also has an SSD to which TS3 was installed (instead of an HDD) so items in CAS and build/buy load very fast!

Yeah, so your example of King's Quest has nothing to do with The Sims 3 which is what we're talking about. That's why it's a bad example.

Excuse me for not listing out the practically infinite number of ways a computer's hardware could potentially cause issues when being too new. How many should I have listed out?

One is allowed to reference other games when drawing a comparison. The comparison is relevant to the discussion therefore not a bad example.

Excuse me for not listing out the practically infinite number of ways a computer's hardware could potentially cause issues when being too new. How many should I have listed out?

You don't need to list the infinite number of ways that could potentially cause issues - you just need to keep it pertinent to TS3 and give good reasons why that is so and if there are any solutions to those issues. You really didn't do any of that.

One is allowed to reference other games when drawing a comparison. The comparison is relevant to the discussion therefore not a bad example.

The comparison wasn't relevant at all to the discussion because we were talking about TS3. King's Quest is a DOS game which behaves differently from TS3 and is from a much earlier era in the history of video games. So it was a bad example for drawing comparison.

A good example would have been another game that was developed around the same time as TS3 (base game engine, the base game itself and the expansion packs that added new gameplay where developed through a span of years in the mid to late 2000s). But honestly by that time, the CPU was no longer the real issue in causing problems for any games of that time.

You don't need to list the infinite number of ways that could potentially cause issues - you just need to keep it pertinent to TS3 and give good reasons why that is so and if there are any solutions to those issues. You really didn't do any of that.

The comparison wasn't relevant at all to the discussion because we were talking about TS3. King's Quest is a DOS game which behaves differently from TS3 and is from a much earlier era in the history of video games. So it was a bad example for drawing comparison.

A good example would have been another game that was developed around the same time as TS3 (base game engine, the base game itself and the expansion packs that added new gameplay where developed through a span of years in the mid to late 2000s). But honestly by that time, the CPU was no longer the real issue in causing problems for any games of that time.

It was pertinent to Sims 3. An improvement in the processor that caused an increase of Sims going out in the world that would generate lag when they ran into routing issues could potentially cause worse performance than another processor depending on the difference in stats. Just because you use mods and have corrected routing issues in your game doesn't mean that that's no longer a problem for people. Not everyone wants to use mods or download world fixes for routing issues or spend the time to do the corrections themselves. Nor am I required to list off the ways the problems can be fixed in a thread where that is not relevant. The topic was can a new computer be the cause of performance decrease. Solutions to the performance decrease is not relevant to the discussion of whether a new computer can be the cause. Therefore the mentioning of the various mods and fixes out there was not something I brought up as it would be off topic to what I was specifically talking about. And the solutions had already been brought up in the thread prior. I couldn't add anything new to the solutions side. But I could offer input on the problem side.

It would be like someone asking can antivirus affect a computer's performance and being told to defrag your hard drive. Yes, defragging your hard drive can improve performance, but it doesn't answer the question.

My example was a good example. Just because it's an old game does not make the point of the comparison void. And I did concede that game developers have done a better job of future proofing things. The reason for the comparison was to show that computer improvements can cause worse game performance than one would expect when upgrading. Which my example does prove. I will concede that a newer game would be a better example. I unfortunately don't know of a newer game where this is an issue and therefore I went with an older game that would show that it is a possibility.

But this is my last post on the matter because at this point, if you don't get what I'm trying to say then I don't think I can explain it any differently and we'll just have to agree to disagree.

It was pertinent to Sims 3. An improvement in the processor that caused an increase of Sims going out in the world that would generate lag when they ran into routing issues could potentially cause worse performance than another processor depending on the difference in stats. Just because you use mods and have corrected routing issues in your game doesn't mean that that's no longer a problem for people. Not everyone wants to use mods or download world fixes for routing issues or spend the time to do the corrections themselves. Nor am I required to list off the ways the problems can be fixed in a thread where that is not relevant. The topic was can a new computer be the cause of performance decrease. Solutions to the performance decrease is not relevant to the discussion of whether a new computer can be the cause. Therefore the mentioning of the various mods and fixes out there was not something I brought up as it would be off topic to what I was specifically talking about. And the solutions had already been brought up in the thread prior. I couldn't add anything new to the solutions side. But I could offer input on the problem side.

Only there is no problem with with a more powerful CPU when playing TS3. I actually had less lag with a more powerful CPU than I did with my older less powerful CPU, even though I have many more sims out and active in the world. I'm sure there are some routing issues, but the increase in CPU power and increase of sims out in the world has not shown to increase lag from routing issues. If that were so, Overwatch would have reported them, but it is simply not the case. And so it is for every TS3 simmer with a newer computer So the problem isn't the CPU.

Ultimately, if some people are not willing to do anything to fix these issues when they are indeed fixable and there are working solutions for them (mods and fixes) - and mind you, Maxis no longer updates this game, but rather its loyal fanbase, than the problem really isn't the computer or the game itself - it's the person who's unwilling to do so. You can't fix stupid.

My example was a good example. Just because it's an old game does not make the point of the comparison void. And I did concede that game developers have done a better job of future proofing things. The reason for the comparison was to show that computer improvements can cause worse game performance than one would expect when upgrading. Which my example does prove. I will concede that a newer game would be a better example. I unfortunately don't know of a newer game where this is an issue and therefore I went with an older game that would show that it is a possibility.

But this is my last post on the matter because at this point, if you don't get what I'm trying to say then I don't think I can explain it any differently and we'll just have to agree to disagree.

No, it really wasn't a good example at all because those are two very different games on two different operating systems. As a matter of fact it did not prove that computer improvements can cause worse game performance. To play an older game, you just need a program that simulates the operating system environment it was meant for, ie. DOSbox for King's Quest. TS3 is just fine - actually doing much better in the current new computers.

TS3 is a really fantastic game. Truly one of a kind and honestly has such satisfying game play that turned out to work even better in the newer computers. There's been a lot of misinformation being spewed about it - maybe to make it look worse than TS4 so sheep would buy that instead - but TS3 doesn't deserve that. At all.

• wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    They gave the excuse that they don't own the rights to the sims 2, so they can't sell us the Ultimate Collection.
    How do you not own the rights to a game that you made?
    ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™€๏ธ
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • Lulu29Lulu29 Posts: 171 Member
    Sorry if this has been explained already but I'm guessing the old CD disks no longer work? I'm not familiar with why they're not available anymore (and does this apply to The Sims 3? Admittedly I haven't played since buying The Sims 4).
    If that is the case though, I already have all of the old games on CD. At this point I'm not sure I would pay more money to buy something that I already own but is just defunct. But then that's just me.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    edited August 2021
    I've noticed on newer Windows 10 machines; older CD disks won't work without having to go under the hood and access "Super Admin" mode or something like that. All the older Windows 10 computers (usually refurbished machines that shipped with 7 when new I'm guessing) seem to have no problem at all. I have a 2009 copy of the game on disk; worked on the old PC, won't on this one. Kinda sucks, especially given I have a lot of older games I like to play (such as the games LEGO made themselves under the LEGO Media banner in the late '90s-early '2000s) that have never been remastered/reissued.

Having a complete digital download collection would be far easier, not only in getting it to work, but tracking down new/sealed copies of the EPs for TS2 on disk can get even more expensive than TS4 packs.
  • Rabellaka_SimmingRabellaka_Simming Posts: 46 Member
    I just got a new laptop, so the first thing I did was install all my Sims games from Origin. Had to download some third party software to get it to recognize my video card, but it is working now. Now to copy over my saved game and 20Gb of CC so I can resume my Royal Kingdom Challenge.

I have the Sims Complete disk as well as all the individual CDs, but haven't installed it on my laptop do to lack of a disk driver.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top