Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

May 18 - Inside Maxis Livestream

Comments

• filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    So basically the 411 was filled with a lot of 'Requested content insert here', followed by "we're not currently working on it but we look forward to future possibilities." Really disheartening to hear this about Whims and Story Progression even after almost 7 years of the game launching, they might as well have just said "we have not prioritized these features yet" as if they haven't already said that 7 years ago.
  • amaniaaaamaniaaa Posts: 58 Member
    Personally, I think that this live stream was one of the worst out of all The Sims lives. It's not only about the massive lags (which I know are hard considering broadcasting and showing your camera at the same time so here I understand it), it's about that the live didn't gave us any important info (yes we learned about pronouns and bunk beds but honestly, we knew that they all were coming and this info could be given in a tweet rather than a not-so-short live), the most important thing for me was the summer lineup and what they did? They just read the tweet about this out loud, I'm tired that they treat us all like little kids that they even have to read to... and never give us any real info about what's next.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
    edited May 2021
    BookBear wrote: »
    Starfree wrote: »
    Holiday wrote: »
    Pronouns!

I hope they make the non-binary designatoons optional

They said "Added" not "Replace". By default, the game will be the same.

When will this be coming? I didn't see the livestream. :blush:

It could be a third option : Female, Male or Non-binary

https://simsvip.com/2021/05/18/maxis-working-on-adding-pronouns-to-the-sims-4/
    Question: When will pronouns be added to The Sims 4?

GrimSuruDoi: When it comes to representation, it’s not a destination. It’s a journey that we are all continuously working towards across the board. We’ve seen and read your comments regarding non-binary pronouns and their availability in game. We hear you.

At this time, we cannot confirm anything in regards to timing, but what we can say is that for a long time our team has been evaluating ways to add gender neutral language while considering how complex it would be to do so. Currently we have been investigating the changes needed, considering not only the size of the game, but the possibilities for all of our 18 supported languages to make sure that we do this work in the best way possible.
  • StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,444 Member
    edited May 2021
    Pronouns!

I hope they make the non-binary disgnations optional for those who want to play traditional male/female sims.

Edit: sorry for sort of duplicate post; didn't think first one went through for some reason.
    Post edited by Starfree on
  • HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    edited May 2021
    My energy is drained, all I want is better whims in the game without having to use mods. I see it as a massive part of a Sims personality and ability to have a mind of their own, by telling me what they want based on their traits and environments. But rather than update this core feature of the game, it's swept under the carpet and a toggle is added in hopes we will all turn them off and forget about them. Well I'm sorry, but I'm not forgetting about them, and I want them updated and more realistic than constantly wanting to buy a hot tub or a pet toy. Don't add core features to the game if you can't be bothered to keep them supported and up to date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    Pronouns!

I hope they make the non-binary disgnations optional for those who want to play traditional male/female sims.

Edit: sorry for sort of duplicate post; didn't think first one went through for some reason.

That is a concern I do not share. Nothing is taken away from anyone by letting others be who they are and choose the pronouns that match their identity. Adding options will not limit "traditional" gameplay.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    So basically the 411 was filled with a lot of 'Requested content insert here', followed by "we're not currently working on it but we look forward to future possibilities." Really disheartening to hear this about Whims and Story Progression even after almost 7 years of the game launching, they might as well have just said "we have not prioritized these features yet" as if they haven't already said that 7 years ago.

I agree about that. They often can't answer "when are you going to?" questions anyway so why bring them up if that's the only answer they can give? There was plenty of other interesting questions from people in that thread.

The next 411's better not be variants of "when are you going to add moving babies?".
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member

This. Story progression is rather a big task and if they haven‘t started working on it by now then I‘m afraid we won‘t ever get them. It‘s still good that they answered this question though even if the answer is disappointing. Now we know what not to expect.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    EA_Leeloo wrote: »
    Now, I'm hyped! The Summer of Sims overview looks very exciting!

Edit: Can't give away everything immediately - that wouldn't be as much fun. :relaxed:

There's "immediately," and then there's "announcement of an announcement of an announcement of an announcement." Perhaps next time we could strive for a happy medium between those two extremes?
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    I know some are bummed about the lack of game pack announcement but simgurufrost said a while ago no new paid content will be announced during a livestream. They can show off already announced things of course but not say the game pack is this or that.

Here’s hoping we get a trailer soon. I’d imagine the game pack coming in June and the expansion in July so we should get something very soon.

The unanswered questions were also a bummer. I kind of think it be better to not even discuss hot topics they can’t really answer. Otherwise good livestream. The new kit is beautiful and they seemed to really enjoy showing it off plus super excited for the bunk beds update and of course the next livestream to find out what that sneaky new trait spot is.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Pronouns!

That is a concern I do not share. Nothing is taken away from anyone by letting others be who they are and choose the pronouns that match their identity. Adding options will not limit "traditional" gameplay.

I think nearly everyone agrees with you, myself included. I suspect the fear some people have is that they will take the easy way out and not actually add options, just change all the language to gender neutral.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member

I'm glad they at least acknowledged whims but i'm angry cause they kind of dismissed them...

I wouldn't mind story progression but i hope they make it an option. I prefer to play sims 4 without story progression.

• DropTheTDropTheT Posts: 1 New Member
    This is why we cant have nice things. They spend all their time pandering. Really they should be working on the fundamentals of the game. I still can't go down medium and high intensity slopes in Mount Komorebi.
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member

I mean really, the reason we ask this in the 411 thread is because they are always saying that and hoping we can get an actual answer. The fact that they said the same.....IDK anymore hahaha
  • RenegadeSimmerRenegadeSimmer Posts: 21 Member
    I think what @Starfree might have meant is that it might be helpful to have the additional pronouns options with an on/off toggle in the Gameplay options in the settings, kind of like how you can turn Fame options on or off, or Eco Living on or off. Just a guess :)
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,410 Member
    edited May 2021
    Pronouns!

I'm really curious how they will do this in German.

Same here. I have no idea how this will be adressed in my language, Dutch. I just hope this doesn't mess up the translations.
    The most of time the sims are called by their name.

Perhaps he or she is not used as much but what about his/her in the same sentence? Sometimes even job titles get split up in male and female versions in translations. Just like Lord and lady of the knits in English. How will those be handled? Not everything is solved by using the name of the sim.
    Post edited by Atreya33 on
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    Pronouns!

Same here. I have no idea how this will be adressed in my language, Dutch. I just hope this doesn't mess up the translations.

Perhaps he or she is not used as much but what about his/her in the same sentence? Sometimes even job titles get split up in male and female versions in translations. Just like Lord and lady of the knits in English. How will those be handled? Not everything is solved by using the name of the sim.

There are already male and female words for Lord and lady titles. The issue is finding a word suitably non-gendered but that also keeps the meaning of the title. They will probably need to add a dictionary too. 😆
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    edited May 2021
    Pronouns!

Also articles, e.g. in German
    - Der Wissenschaftler = The male scientist
    - Die Wissenschaftlerin = The female scientist

I really don’t see how they could implement a gender neutral option or even neopronouns without it sounding like Google Translate gone wrong OR they messing it up real time and enforcing the >>Generische Maskulinum<< which is a huge controversy in Germany right now, i.e. historically only using the male form and telling women to suck it up and *feel* included. Companies and universities are getting rid of it and Maxis would shoot themselves in the foot if they added it.
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    Looks interesting. Mediterranean design is my favorite style of Architecture and Decor!
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2021
    BookBear wrote: »
    Pronouns!

They said "Added" not "Replace". By default, the game will be the same.

When will this be coming? I didn't see the livestream. :blush:

It could be a third option : Female, Male or Non-binary

https://simsvip.com/2021/05/18/maxis-working-on-adding-pronouns-to-the-sims-4/
    Question: When will pronouns be added to The Sims 4?

GrimSuruDoi: When it comes to representation, it’s not a destination. It’s a journey that we are all continuously working towards across the board. We’ve seen and read your comments regarding non-binary pronouns and their availability in game. We hear you.

At this time, we cannot confirm anything in regards to timing, but what we can say is that for a long time our team has been evaluating ways to add gender neutral language while considering how complex it would be to do so. Currently we have been investigating the changes needed, considering not only the size of the game, but the possibilities for all of our 18 supported languages to make sure that we do this work in the best way possible.

Last time I heard 'We hear you' was back when people requested toddlers. That took three years and a lot of tears. Let's hope the community that feels this is very important to them doesn't have to wait as long as family players did and still do concerning many things. And or occult players begging for werewolves and or those of us wanting improvements to the actual core having to wait seven + years to improvements. I'm not trying to reduce this to the same level but let's just remember the last time we heard 'We hear you' took years....and still waiting. My personal thoughts, representation is fine and yes I think should be in a game, however, it shouldn't become the total focus of what the majority of time is spent on thinking about when so many others still are waiting for the core improvement to this game> because it is going to take a lot of time and research and implementation and changes, while some wait and wait for many more years to see their own requests to improvements and over haul to a personality. I really am baffled by Maxis priorities these past seven years. A Sim with a choice of pronoun but no personality and the same as any other Sim in the mix. I think I know what I would prefer first, then work on the nuances of society.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • jaletu2005jaletu2005 Posts: 688 Member
    Well I'm not much of a Sims 4 player but I have many EPs and Game Packs and have recently started getting into relearning how to play! There's more layers than you think.

I loved the livestream and thought it was enjoyable. The content is very beautiful and I want that fountain! The update on the bunk beds is very welcome.

I know Sims 4 has been a very slooow burn but they seem to be trying. Hope people get their pronouns, hope the whims are fleshed out properly, and I am anxious to see what else they are working on. Yeah, I know things need to be fixed but how is that new? :p
    Screenshot-5.jpg
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    edited May 2021
    Pronouns!

Also articles, e.g. in German
    - Der Wissenschaftler = The male scientist
    - Die Wissenschaftlerin = The female scientist

I really don’t see how they could implement a gender neutral option or even neopronouns without it sounding like Google Translate gone wrong OR they messing it up real time and enforcing the >>Generische Maskulinum<< which is a huge controversy in Germany right now, i.e. historically only using the male form and telling women to suck it up and *feel* included. Companies and universities are getting rid of it and Maxis would shoot themselves in the foot if they added it.

I think it's too late in the game, (7 years in?), and if it isn't easy will take up all the funds that Simmers want for more gameplay. They'll have to deal with it in Sims 5. I'd rather they apologized and it's not possible for this iteration.
  • BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    So they're literally just reading the tweet out loud to us?

Yup that is what it looked like, I was like are you kidding Me? , they did not say much bout what is coming other then just read bout what we already knew, But I did like the kit and got it, :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top