Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Farming: Would you be ok if you couldn't harvest animals for meat?

Comments

• LJKLJK Posts: 257 Member
    edited May 2021
    Yes - It is fine to not harvest animals for meat
    Ok here's a question to ponder for all of the "non meat eater, ohhhh let's not have actual meat harvested in the game, how inhumane" people

..... why is it ok to use fish in recipes that your sims eat?

Was that fish not living and breathing at some point in time when you caught it? Before it was killed, skinned and de-boned to use in that recipe?

Or what about those players who don't actually eat the fish but instead mount it on their wall, killing that fish for no other reason than to showcase it as a trophy. To me, that's even worse, that's unnecessary killing of a living breathing thing to not even nourish your sims body.

Do we need to remove that from the game too?

Why is that perfectly ok?

This is a serious and legitimate question I'm asking to people, I'm not trying to be snarky. I don't understand people's double standards about things like this.

This is true, no doubt. We can catch Nemo, take him away from his daddy, and instead of, at the very least, using him for our nourishment, we can just lower him to nothing but a decoration. How's that for spoiled childhood memories. :tongue:

In all seriousness, this would highlight the hypocrisy behind refusing slaughter in The Sims. But to not push the game beyond the T rating, I think it should be a rabbit-hole, like your Sims giving birth in the hospital. Nobody really wants to see that, do we? Yeesh.
  • LenaDietersLenaDieters Posts: 254 Member
    I don’t think not harvesting meat has been such a controversy in stardew valley, which I mean is a kind of farming simulator game.
    To me since sims 1 the game has never been about realism. Will Wright wanted something like a doll house...again not full on: face the reality!!!
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Mixed/Unbothered - Depends on the pack contents
    In TS3, we actually harvest meat from plants, which I thought was hilarious! So I think it's fine if we don't harvest meat from animals.

Re093ca8cd59c4d1c568a0af1eb666d1b?rik=nacdHvcvB10Ccg&riu=http%3a%2f%2fthumbs2.modthesims.info%2fimg%2f4%2f8%2f1%2f5%2f7%2fMTS_Erzengel-952840-RoastLinksPlant.jpg&ehk=ZVPjmXMdX8KQmdn06bfbyesnLsPNUWVyzvIF0iMO8w4%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw

TS3 did have chickens for eggs and cows for milk. Those are acceptable because no killing and butchering of animals was required.

Omg hahahaha🤣🤣🤣
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    In TS3, we actually harvest meat from plants, which I thought was hilarious! So I think it's fine if we don't harvest meat from animals.
    Re093ca8cd59c4d1c568a0af1eb666d1b?rik=nacdHvcvB10Ccg&riu=http%3a%2f%2fthumbs2.modthesims.info%2fimg%2f4%2f8%2f1%2f5%2f7%2fMTS_Erzengel-952840-RoastLinksPlant.jpg&ehk=ZVPjmXMdX8KQmdn06bfbyesnLsPNUWVyzvIF0iMO8w4%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw

TS3 did have chickens for eggs and cows for milk. Those are acceptable because no killing and butchering of animals was required.

Exactly! It’s The Sims! Anything is possible.

Like trash heaps generating trash plants, a cow should be able to walk around in the meadow and MOO! “drop” a steak harvestable. Why not?
    We don’t need no preaching by some game. It’s always been weird. Let it be weird. In fact, I wish it was like that IRL. I don’t really want animals harmed on my behalf, but I do love (NEED) my steak.

Anyway, over 12’s should know where their meat comes from. If not, their parents just didn’t share enough of the juicy details.
    Not the game’s fault if these adolescents somehow believe pork sausages grow on a bush. 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • OutlawWomanOutlawWoman Posts: 156 Member

Like trash heaps generating trash plants, a cow should be able to walk around in the meadow and MOO! “drop” a steak harvestable. Why not?
    We don’t need no preaching by some game. It’s always been weird. Let it be weird. In fact, I wish it was like that IRL. I don’t really want animals harmed on my behalf, but I do love (NEED) my steak.

Anyway, over 12’s should know where their meat comes from. If not, their parents just didn’t share enough of the juicy details.
    Not the game’s fault if these adolescents somehow believe pork sausages grow on a bush. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Off topic, but that reminds me of a scene in the book "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe", there is a cow who WANTS to be eaten and he goes around cheerfully introducing himself to the patrons and telling them which parts of him should be tender right now. Then goes off and kills himself so our heroes' meals can be prepared. :lol:

At least I think that scene is in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe", it was definitely in that restaurant, but might have been in another book in the series. I'm sure a Douglas Adams fan will correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    I"m not asking to actually "see" the process of what goes into harvesting meat, but I think that option should be in the game for those that want it, how can I represent my simself if the game never allows me to eat protein from animal sources? Why couldn't animals be sold and then we'd have some kind of meat in our inventory to use in recipes?

I don't eat just veggies in my RL, I eat from all 4 food groups, this includes chicken, pork, beef and fish.
  • MoonfoxNightcryMoonfoxNightcry Posts: 296 Member
    I’d be fine if we could get meat from our animals, but I think the best approach from EA would be to have it like this:

* cows: collect milk and fertiliser
    * chickens: collect eggs
    * horses to help on farm and for equestrian
    * sheep for wool

That would be enough for me. That said, we are already allowed to eat the fish we catch, aren’t we? It’s not like they visibly gut them on the screen.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 Believe me, most adults are completely out of touch with where their food comes from. What it takes to get milk, how animals are slaughtered etc.
    As a vegan I see way too many people surprised once they see pictures and videos from the meat industry.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • OutlawWomanOutlawWoman Posts: 156 Member

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 Believe me, most adults are completely out of touch with where their food comes from. What it takes to get milk, how animals are slaughtered etc.
    As a vegan I see way too many people surprised once they see pictures and videos from the meat industry.

True. About 15-20 years or so ago, I was staying with my brother. His daughters were teenagers and they would refuse to eat any meat that looked like meat. Like, they would eat hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken nuggets, fishsticks, etc. But no like, real meat like chicken breasts or roast. I don't know if that was just a ploy to get money for fast food all the time, or if they were genuinely not making the connection. They were pretty spoiled in general.

I also met a chick once, about 10 years ago, who said she was a vegan, and this other chick had a gathering, so like everyone made an effort to make their dishes ok for her, or it least tell her if the dish wasn't. Then I was out with them again another time and that first chick ate three hot dogs. I asked her if she wasn't vegan anymore and she said that no, she was, but she just loved hot dogs. lol

So I don't know, man, initially I didn't really care, but this conversation is making me see that an option to get meat from animals or not might be the way to go. I mean, we can't really deny our tough guys their steaks or our um...vegans their hot dogs??? :lol:
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member

Off topic, but that reminds me of a scene in the book "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe", there is a cow who WANTS to be eaten and he goes around cheerfully introducing himself to the patrons and telling them which parts of him should be tender right now. Then goes off and kills himself so our heroes' meals can be prepared. :lol:

At least I think that scene is in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe", it was definitely in that restaurant, but might have been in another book in the series. I'm sure a Douglas Adams fan will correct me if I'm wrong.

Yep that’s the book! The Ameglian Major Cow.

In that case these adolescent’s parent’s parents didn’t share enough juicy details.
    People can’t be that stooopid surely?
    I guess it’s the ...which century are we living in now?

“Peoples eatin’ chickens are very cruel”.

“Sure, but tell me what we’re eatin’ here dude?”

“These? Oh these are chicken nuggets. I bought them frozen. They were grown in a freezer. By a chicken. Very intelligent birds so they are.”

🤦🏻‍♂️

• mordarlarmordarlar Posts: 38 Member
    No - Harvesting meat is crucial to a farming pack
    Sims eat meat. Meat comes from animals. We are so disconnected from the reality of food production.
  • greydonngreydonn Posts: 715 Member
    No. I can't dominate the world with my mighty chicken army if all they're going for is nuggets. Eggs would be alright with me though.
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • lovemy4slovemy4s Posts: 153 Member
    I would enjoy it either way but they did put the fake meat wall in for eco pack so I don’t see why they wouldn’t have some type of harvesting milk, meats, etc from a farm pack
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I would love for the farming to have an old western look. Just like in Little House on the Prairie.
  • ForgeronForgeron Posts: 272 Member
    We can farm meat from that wall thingy from Eco Lifestyle. I just hope the animals are fun to play, the Sims 3 Store ones didn't cut for me. They felt robotic and fake. Would be fun if we could pla chess with a chicken like in SIms 2 console. hehehe
  • robyngravesrobyngraves Posts: 248 Member
    Curious about eggs and milk though. I mean, I'm not vegan, but from my understanding veganism is a belief against animal cruelty, so zero animal products are consumed.

Vegan simmer here! While I don't personally eat dairy and eggs (or any other animal byproduct), I am fine with my sims doing so. Almost all of my sims eat the things that I don't because the animals on their plates are but pixels.
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member

I would like my survivalist sims to have the option to eat meat when I am making them live off what they farm/grow. I'd prefer they get the meat from animals, I don't think whitewashing the whole process is a healthy thing. If you eat meat you should know what it involves.
    However! Those plants are hilarious and I'd gladly take some way to farm it like that instead.
  • Hauk150Hauk150 Posts: 358 Member
    I’m vegan and against animal cruelty, i definitely don’t want to see that option portrayed in the game. I rather have other farming options and gameplay elements that doesn’t includes that, like in the stardew valley game
  • WerescytheWerescythe Posts: 157 Member
    No - Harvesting meat is crucial to a farming pack
    I feel almost like the Good/Evil traits are kind of pointless when you take away things that fit with them and while I personally don't think that eating meat is evil (perhaps because I actually grew up on a farm), I'm sure there are many vegan simmers that would say so.

But this is the Sims and these are digital (not real animals) and what is the point behind "realism" (as many of you who don't like the supernatural content keep bring up) if you take away things that are real and replace them with not so real things (like those meat plants, they're not real and I don't see hardly anyone complaining about them). It kind of beats the point.
    I'm probably one of the rare few here, but I love using the occult aspects in my Sims 4 games. xD
    Hauk150 wrote: »
    I’m vegan and against animal cruelty, i definitely don’t want to see that option portrayed in the game. I rather have other farming options and gameplay elements that doesn’t includes that, like in the stardew valley game

See, I don't really understand this thought process.

That's like wanting meat removed from grocery stores in RL because you don't eat it and it makes you uncomfortable.

It's a choice. Nobody forces you to eat it, but those of use who were raised eating it and actually like meat, should have that choice in the game too, just like you would have the choice of NOT choosing to harvest it.

I'm pretty sure that nobody is asking to actually "see the process", just having the option to sell our animals to harvest the meat.

There should be options and toggles, not just making it one way and only one way to not offend a certain group of people. Not everybody in the world are vegans or vegetarians. It sure wouldn't feel very "inclusive" to us carnivores. How can I represent myself when I actually eat meat?

Not having the option to harvest won't be a be a make-or-break deal for me, I would still buy the pack, but I would definitely be on the hunt for a mod that would allow that option.

I was raised in a farming community, my grandfather worked on a cattle farm. My daughter raised pigs for 4H and sold them.

So these are things that I personally would hope to be an option in a farming pack (if we ever actually get one).
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,018 Member
    edited May 2021
    I see farming as cows grazing, getting milked. Tractors! Ploughing the field. Feeding chickens and collecting eggs. Maybe look after the lambs and get wool from the sheep. So I’d want a vegetarian or vegan farm.

There could be options to allow the level of farming wanted.
    I was thinking if you selected an animal, the animal could die, the grim reaper comes takes the animal away and comes back with a plate of meat. So it happens off screen but I don’t know how others would feel.
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    CelSims wrote: »

I would like my survivalist sims to have the option to eat meat when I am making them live off what they farm/grow. I'd prefer they get the meat from animals, I don't think whitewashing the whole process is a healthy thing. If you eat meat you should know what it involves.
    However! Those plants are hilarious and I'd gladly take some way to farm it like that instead.

Yeah, those plants take the sting out of the whole meat harvesting process, lol! I actually don't mind the real process of how we get meat, but I know some people are sensitive to it, so I'm pretty flexible on how the devs want to handle this. Basically, I'm up for whatever they want.

• SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Hauk150 wrote: »

See, I don't really understand this thought process.

That's like wanting meat removed from grocery stores in RL because you don't eat it and it makes you uncomfortable.

It's a choice. Nobody forces you to eat it, but those of use who were raised eating it and actually like meat, should have that choice in the game too, just like you would have the choice of NOT choosing to harvest it.

@Chicklet453681 But all @Hauk150 did was explain why they personally don't want to see animal cruelty portrayed in the game. It's a personal opinion and a choice that doesn't affect anyone else but the individual.

I'm pretty sure that nobody is asking to actually "see the process", just having the option to sell our animals to harvest the meat.

And also in real-life we also don't "see the process" but we still know (at least some of us) the cruelty that goes behind producing meat. I think that's what @Hauk150 means.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • bookish_sammybookish_sammy Posts: 223 Member
    My family on both sides were farmers, but they raised crops. The area I live in is a popular location to grow corn, wheat, pumpkins, tobacco, and soy beans. I don't currently live on a working farm, but we grow tomatoes, cucumbers, and green beans. Our neighbors grow potatoes, onions, garlic, and zucchini. The neighbor's daughter has goats and chickens, but they don't eat either one. The chickens are for eggs and to keep down the tick population. The goats are for milk and to keep the grass "mowed." I'd love a farming pack that gives us a chicken coop, dairy cows, and maybe even goats. I doubt we would ever get a pack where you can see the animals being killed, and I wouldn't want one either, but I wouldn't mind the animal disappearing and meat showing up in the inventory after "harvesting" it. Even though I live in a farming community, I don't like seeing animals get killed or even thinking about it too much.

I want a pack that will add to my seasons game play. September is apple picking season, and it would be cool to own an orchard in the game and sell cider and cider donuts. It would be awesome to plant a corn maze and pumpkin patch for the fall. It would be even better if we had the ability to give hayrides with a tractor and sell pumpkins/pick pumpkins for Spooky Day. I'd also love a proper farmer's market in the game that is designated as such. It could happen every week on a certain day and have wooden crates and barrels displaying all the produce. I'd love to see the return of the canning station because canning vegetables and making jams/jelly is something I associate with farming. It's also pretty popular for people to sell handcrafted soaps and jewelry in my area, so it would be great if they gave us a the jewelry making table back as well.

It's a personal opinion and a choice that doesn't affect anyone else but the individual.

But it does effect others, because if the devs listened then those of us who would want the ability to harvest meat, would have that option denied to us from the start.

I'm not saying their personal opinion and preference is "wrong", they are absolutely entitled to feel any way they want. I'm saying give us - the players, options instead of just not offering that type of game play. Be inclusive to all types of people, those that don't eat meat, and those that do.