Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Farming: Would you be ok if you couldn't harvest animals for meat?

Comments

• SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited May 2021
    Yes - It is fine to not harvest animals for meat
    Though it is a small thing and kind of pointless to argue about I have to say me as a vegan I wish that if they add milk, they keep it realistic or at least put in some "suggestion" of how milk is produced in real-life.

Just having cows one can milk, is an easy solution but I know a lot of people and young kids that don't know that cows don't just give us their milk volunterally. I don't want people to think cows don't suffer by milk production, that they aren't being artifically inseminated and that their babies aren't taken away from them for us to have milk. A lot of people do think cows just stand there waiting to be milked and I think spreading misinformation like that (because people are too lazy to inform themselves further) could be a negative thing.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Not bothered. However, if we ever get Werewolves I would want them to be able to hunt animals for meat. And it would be so funny if they "hunt" the Cow, Pig or Chicken. :D

I can totally get behind this. It would even make sense for farm animals be be able to die randomly if we don't secure their enclosures well enough, bc of a "wild animal attack" pop up. It makes me feel bleh when it's humans killing the animals.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2021
    Justin wrote: »
    When I think of farming I never think of butchering lol. I also think about having a chicken coop for eggs, milking a cow, making cheese, taking care of farm animals. simple things like that.

You know farms have pigs and chicken to kill and either sell the meat and or keep it to eat right? Cows too, unless it's a milk cow. Butchering happens but not on the farm itself usually, the animals are sent to the slaughter house. I think a vet has to come to the farm first though to evaluate the animal.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • OutlawWomanOutlawWoman Posts: 156 Member
    Mixed/Unbothered - Depends on the pack contents
    I know vegetarians who eat eggs, milk, honey, even fish. But any VEGAN I know doesn't eat those things. OR use wool, and one is a hardcore knitter. :lol:

I mean, there are different interpretations of what vegan can mean, but yeah, thinking about the ones I personally know irl, they don't have anything to do with any animal products. So what I'm saying, is if someone wants to enforce their irl views in their Sims game, I don't think vegans would have anything to do with a farming pack if it included any animal production whatsoever.

So I'm fine with keeping it PG (like I mentioned in my Harvest Moon: Back to Nature post), but it's still going to offend some people anyway.

But don't listen to me I'm a Gen-Xer who loves bacon cheeseburgers. :lol:
  • LJKLJK Posts: 257 Member
    edited May 2021
    I'm a big meat-eater in real life (and by extension, so are my Sims) and I could be fine without it. Mostly from the stance that when I considered farming, I actually didn't think of harvesting meat, I thought of growing and managing crops, raising and training a horse (or multiples), milking cows and feeding cows, etc. I love gameplay that makes my Sim rush around doing chores and managing things, so that's what I thought of in regards to farming.

We shouldn't get rid of meat production on the off-chance it'll offend vegan simmers because that's not a practical mindset for game development. And honestly, I'd like to imagine that vegan Simmers aren't so easily offended. A lot of the features in this game could be percieved as offensive, but obviously, if we were to strip the game of all of them because it could offend somebody, there'd barely be a game left. If they decide to add meat harvesting, just make it a rabbit hole. But if they don't, I'm not going to get up on a soap box complaining about it.

They probably won't add it in, though since Maxis has a bad habit of trying to make everybody happy instead of focusing on making a good game and forcing the community to grow up and deal with it.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    It depends on the other pack content.

If there's a focus on self-sufficiency/homesteading type gameplay, then I feel it would be required to make meat dishes.

It doesn't matter either way if there isn't that gameplay aspect.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    LJK wrote: »
    if we were to strip the game of all of them because it could offend somebody, there'd barely be a game left. If they decide to add meat harvesting, just make it a rabbit hole. But if they don't, I'm not going to get up on a soap box complaining about it.

They probably won't add it in, though since Maxis has a bad habit of trying to make everybody happy instead of focusing on making a good game and forcing the community to grow up and deal with it.

I'm not necessarily advocating for them not adding meat production.
    I just don't see how they can add meat production and keep the pack T rated. They'd either have to nerf the real experience of meat production (so remove the blood, torture, antibiotics, artificial insemination etc. and make it like some fantasy where cows produce milk just like that and animals die in some fantastical way or include the actual "reality" of it and that would be unpleasant for a looooot of people meat eater or not also M rated as well.

I just personally wouldn't wish they add some "made-up" way of producing meat. Society is already so out of touch with where our food actually comes from. If I was someone with such a huge platform I would try not to contribute to more confusion on the matter of meat and dairy production. Of course they can do as they please. I just personally would either keep it realistic or not add it at all.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    It doesn’t bother me as I eat most meats. If we have an option to have meat from animals fine but I highly doubt ea will allow this due to it possibly upsetting vegetarian and vegan players. I do understand why this would be upsetting for them. I think realistically a farming pack would include collecting eggs, milk and crops that are not in the game. What I will say is in real life farmers do not see animals as cute cuddly things they are a business to sell to make money via meat etc. I know this as I live in the countryside near farms and farmers have told me it is a business with no emotions attached. I don’t think the sims would ever portray true farming experience for this very reason and I think we would see a nicer watered down version of what I would call a small holding with fruit, veg and the odd animals for things like eggs. Hence why I would prefer a country living pack then a specific farming pack or maybe it’s how I view things in this theme.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Ok here's a question to ponder for all of the "non meat eater, ohhhh let's not have actual meat harvested in the game, how inhumane" people

..... why is it ok to use fish in recipes that your sims eat?

Was that fish not living and breathing at some point in time when you caught it? Before it was killed, skinned and de-boned to use in that recipe?

Or what about those players who don't actually eat the fish but instead mount it on their wall, killing that fish for no other reason than to showcase it as a trophy. To me, that's even worse, that's unnecessary killing of a living breathing thing to not even nourish your sims body.

Do we need to remove that from the game too?

Why is that perfectly ok?

This is a serious and legitimate question I'm asking to people, I'm not trying to be snarky. I don't understand people's double standards about things like this.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited May 2021
    I wonder if this is why they didn't give us farming. Simmers would never let them live the controversy down 🤣🤣 so we get interior designing instead.
    It does seem a bit weird though that simmers actually beg gurus for deaths in packs but animals are a no no lol.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I really should have said mixed/unbothered. I'm not a vegetarian and yes I'd be perfectly fine with them adding in somehow the idea that we actually get meat from animals but if they did I would expect it to be Sim style.. and I can't imagine how that would look for the life of me. It's not like they can add in slaughter houses.
    The "yes" answer still applies to me though for the reason above, I don't see how it could be done. Now if we get cows with no milk I'd be upset.. despite there being people that don't drink or use milk. If we got chickens but no eggs, I'd also be upset. Those things I definitely want.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 761 Member
    I don’t know why but I assumed we would not be able to harvest meat. Has that been an option in other sim series?

I am more interested in animal byproducts (eggs,milk).
  • GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    I wonder if this is why they didn't give us farming. Simmers would never let them live the controversy down 🤣🤣 so we get interior designing instead.
    It does seem a bit weird though that simmers actually beg gurus for deaths in packs but animals are a no no lol.

It's like how people don't mind seeing a person die in a film, but won't watch a film with animal death. We are strange creatures. :lol:

Honestly, I'm sorry if my opinions have bothered or upset anyone. I can't explain why I'm okay with Sim deaths and fishing in the Sims but would dislike animal harvesting, I just answered the pole and gave my reason why. I'm never going to tell people how to think (or eat) and would not have anything against a farm pack or those that decide to purchase it regardless of what features it has.

I don't tend to like to talk about such "controversial" issues on the forum, especially if my comments may upset people or cause any issues. So I'm going to leave it here. But for those who have been wanting a farming pack for a long time, I truly hope you get it and that it meets all of your expectations. :smile:

• BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member

It's like how people don't mind seeing a person die in a film, but won't watch a film with animal death. We are strange creatures. :lol:

Honestly, I'm sorry if my opinions have bothered or upset anyone. I can't explain why I'm okay with Sim deaths and fishing in the Sims but would dislike animal harvesting, I just answered the pole and gave my reason why. I'm never going to tell people how to think (or eat) and would not have anything against a farm pack or those that decide to purchase it regardless of what features it has.

I don't tend to like to talk about such "controversial" issues on the forum, especially if my comments may upset people or cause any issues. So I'm going to leave it here. But for those who have been wanting a farming pack for a long time, I truly hope you get it and that it meets all of your expectations. :smile:

No I don't think you have upset anyone.🙂 You explained your point quite well. Everyone has a right to their opinion I just personally enjoy having lots of options especially since devious ways to play are lacking.
    I don't even want farming myself lol, don't care too much either way. And I don't like controversial topics much because they never seem to lead anywhere except for arguments. People are never going to agree on all of anything.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    No - Harvesting meat is crucial to a farming pack
    Opps! I picked the wrong one. I really wouldn't care if it was added. I don't need to harvest meat. I would love to have horses and pony rides for kids, country furniture, recipes. I would much rather have animals to take care of like chickens, pigs, horses, sheep, and ponies.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • ThunderNebThunderNeb Posts: 55 Member
    Maybe knowing where your Sim hamburgers come from will change your real world view eating meat. Or not
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,456 Member
    edited May 2021
    Ok here's a question to ponder for all of the "non meat eater, ohhhh let's not have actual meat harvested in the game, how inhumane" people

Was that fish not living and breathing at some point in time when you caught it? Before it was killed, skinned and de-boned to use in that recipe?

Or what about those players who don't actually eat the fish but instead mount it on their wall, killing that fish for no other reason than to showcase it as a trophy. To me, that's even worse, that's unnecessary killing of a living breathing thing to not even nourish your sims body.

This is a serious and legitimate question I'm asking to people, I'm not trying to be snarky. I don't understand people's double standards about things like this.

I agree. Double standards.

Sims can roast beetles and fish over the campfire and eat them. It doesn’t bother too many folks because these kinda animals seem a little soulless, or even creepy. They’re probably not considered sentient enough. Poor grubs.

Whereas...a little lamb, a cow...you can look into their eyes and think:

“You understand me. You just understand me.”

Has anyone ever looked a fish in the eye and think the same thing?

The only way sims will be able to harvest meat in The Sims is by “collecting” stem cells from the animal so they can grow cultured meat. If you have eco lifestyle installed the meat will probably end up on that meat wall.
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    I don't eat meat, so personally I wouldn't buy the EP if killing animals were apart of it. I'd be happier with a milk farm, crops, eggs, wool, etc.

I think there's many ways to do a farming pack without having your Sims killing animals. I understand and respect that others feel differently, and I really don't want to argue because everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if I don't agree with it. But if it was a feature in the pack, I think it would make me feel quite ill. I'd never be able to play it.

In saying that, Sims seems to be going down quite an eco friendly route recently, with living odd the grid, vegetarian Sims, a whole Eco Living pack etc. Do you think they would then turn around and allow us to farm animals in such a way?

Also I'm sure there are vegan simmers, so meat farming is a big no-no. Curious about eggs and milk though. I mean, I'm not vegan, but from my understanding veganism is a belief against animal cruelty, so zero animal products are consumed. (I don't speak for anyone and I may be ignorant here, and I'm sorry!) Would egg farming or cow milking then be in the game since it could be offensive?

I'm vegetarian, not vegan but you're right about the definition of veganism. Not only are no animal products consumed, but vegans also don't wear any products made from any part of an animal (not even wool.) As a vegetarian, I would personally not be offended by cow milking or egg farming, or even the meat farming really although I personally would not use the latter. As long as there was an option to not use the animal for meat and instead raise them as pets I'd be fine with it it.

I mean, I'd personally prefer no meat farming, but at the same time I understand not everyone is vegetarian or vegan and that some people would want that in their game. I'm not sure if it would dissuade me from getting the pack or not if it were included, but as long as there's a way to avoid selling animals for meat through either a toggle or even a lot trait (which I consider a toggle) that mentions "animals roam free here and are not used for meat" or something similar, it wouldn't be hard a no.

Basically as long as harvesting animals for meat was optional I'd (more than likely) be okay with it.

Personally, I think the only people who would really be offended by this are the super radical vegans who try to guilt other people into no longer eating meat products of any kind. Which, in my experience are far and few in between. Most vegetarians and vegans in my experience, while not supporting the use of animals for either meat, clothing, etc probably wouldn't be offended by this being an option in the game. As long as it was that, an option and they were able to opt out of doing so.
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    Yes, I feel like I need an option for yes and I that is actually my preference and it would dissuade me from getting the pack if killing animals was included. I would prefer to be able to milk cows, get eggs from chicken, wool from sheep, etc. but not meat. I'm a veggie irl and don't want that in my game. Just my personal preference though. If they included it I wouldn't get the pack unless I could disable it, via settings or a mod. Though I wonder if the teen rating may limit them anyway with what they can do here.

I'm not massively fussed on farming really, though I do really want horses and some rural worlds which is my main reason I'd want a farming pack.

What if they had the option but you just choose to not select it?

If there is a general game setting to turn it off I would be happy with that, I just don't want to see it as an option when I'm playing. I don't want to see an option every time I select an animal and I'd prefer to have it feel like all the animals in the world are safe. I'd consider using a mod to get rid of it, but I wouldn't be very happy with that as not everyone can use mods (eg. console) so may not buy it out of principle for fellow veggie/vegan simmers.

I know I'm biased as I would prefer it not included at all, but if they really have to including killing animals in game it should be able to be turned off at the settings. That's just my opinion, but I don't think I'm in a massive minority in not wanting it in game.

Yeah, this is the kind of toggle I'd want to. To actually disable the option altogether so I don't have to see it. Even if it had to be a lot trait of some sort. Like call it something different, like "crop only farm" or something. Which... just doesn't give the option. If that makes sense.

I don't know, I'm not super hyped on the idea of a farm pack anyway. So if anything this would give me a legit reason to skip out in the pack, but at the same time...depending on what it offers I may not want to miss out on the other things. So I don't know, honestly. But if it were a feature with no way whatsoever of disabling or happened autonomously, I probably wouldn't buy it.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited May 2021
    ThunderNeb wrote: »
    Maybe knowing where your Sim hamburgers come from will change your real world view eating meat. Or not

I mean it could...this is what I kinda would have hoped that they would have explored with Eco Lifestyle, too many cows are not good for the environment and if there would have been some environmental effect (+industrialism) or something if you had too many cows then maybe the player would consider eating less meat which is something that helps the environment.

That's why I think the meat wall was a kinda bad solution, I would have preferred if they would have offered ways to make different kind of food options that used less meat or meat alternatives like meat made from soy and vegetables.
  • Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited May 2021

This is my very personal stance, and I admit that it might seem hypocritical, but I don't want to eat intelligent beings. The first animal I stopped eating is pigs, since pigs are super intelligent and it was just too immoral for me to subject them to factory farming, but also to put them through slaughtering if they feel emotional distress, know exactly what is happening etc., and since they are social as well, losing friend animals and family affects them.
    The other animals followed by similar thought processes.

I now eat only fish, and am thus a pescetarian, not a vegetarian, though I eat vegetarian most of the time (fish maybe one or twice a month). Fish are generally not particularly intelligent and don't really have emotions besides "danger!" and other instinct-driven behaviour. I still believe in treating them humanely, respect their life etc. If I had a pet fish, I'd make sure they have a lovely tank and enough space etc. I'm not a fan of factory fish farming, wanting them to have had a life in the wild prior. I don't eat octupus, since octopi are very intelligent. The intelligence thing appears again.
    I wouldn't want to eat bugs bc that grosses me out, but I wouldn't necessarily feel like I've caused a whole bug family to go into mourning.

With sims, I often make my sims vegetarian but I also often don't. It's just a game. And as such, as long as fishing, bug catching etc is humane (in this case not implying that the animals suffer), I don't care and actually think it's neat bc it allows more survival type play.
    I also hate animal trophies, especially since it actually affects my country a big deal with rich tourists paying to shoot lions in cages, endangered elephants, majestic giraffes etc. It makes my blood boil. Fish trophies bother me to a lesser extent, but I still think it's a bit dumb.
    In Sims, I don't care bc fish are collectables and it makes sense to display how complete your collection is. Though, I have only mounted a fish my sims caught once or twice, since it doesn't particularly appeal to me. I prefer displaying them in fish bowls and tanks so I can watch them swim around and keep them alive. Usually, in my mind, the mounted fish might as well be plastic decorations. Quite a few nautical places near to my heart have plastic fish mounts and decor, which I love and find atmospheric.

Harvesting meat from cows, chickens etc in Sims would bug me bc it just feels so unnecessary, as per my initial post. Like I said, it wouldn't offend me - I don't even like using the word "offend" here bc of its recent connotations - but I wouldn't like it.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,654 Member
    As long as my farmer can make a living I'd be fine. But I'd probably prefer to fill my own fridge somehow. Anyway, getting wool, milk, eggs etc would do it. Selling off animals would be needed though, I guess that would be the same animation whether selling them for meat or not.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • AbsafraginlootlyAbsafraginlootly Posts: 34 Member
    The interactions I'm most interested in from a farming/country living pack are things like
    - riding horses
    - milking cows
    - wool from sheep or llamas
    - gathering eggs from chickens
    - buying and selling at farmers market
    - harvest festival and other events etc
    Probably only horses would be pet's like cats and dogs, whereas the other animals would be objects whose harvestables you could affect the quality of by taking care of them, like how gardening plants works.

Anyway, I wouldn't be too worried if there was no way to get meat. That being said it would be nice to be able to get meat as an ingredient much as you can get fish as an ingredient in Sims 4 by fishing and could buy meat from the grocery store as an ingredient for cooking in sims 3.

They do already have the ability to catch, kill, cook and eat animals through the fishing skill. And similarly you can use the fishing skill without killing the fish by putting them in fish bowels or selling them in you inventory (pet shop? Aquarium? Fish market? Restaurant? Its up to your imagination where that money comes from). So they could presumably do something similar with farm animals: where you could harvest their eggs, milk, etc; or sell them for simoleons; or sell them for meat.

Alternatively Sims might not have the option of getting meat from their own farm/animals. But they could make meat a buyable ingredient at the village market/butcher.

Like I said not a big priority, but it would be nice if my quality fish, vegetables and fruit Cooking ingredients, and hopefully soon to be added quality eggs and butter ingredients, could be accompanied by quality beef and lamb y'know?
  • LenaDietersLenaDieters Posts: 254 Member
    I believe in a farming EP based on previous EP contents we would maybe get 3 animals MAX! The amount of animation required would be quite a bit and let’s be honest, they have not done a great amount of new animation per pack.
    I truly believe horses will be a separate game pack as well, which I don’t mind if they are well done. Gamepacks tend to be better anyways
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited May 2021
    In TS3, we actually harvest meat from plants, which I thought was hilarious! So I think it's fine if we don't harvest meat from animals.

Re093ca8cd59c4d1c568a0af1eb666d1b?rik=nacdHvcvB10Ccg&riu=http%3a%2f%2fthumbs2.modthesims.info%2fimg%2f4%2f8%2f1%2f5%2f7%2fMTS_Erzengel-952840-RoastLinksPlant.jpg&ehk=ZVPjmXMdX8KQmdn06bfbyesnLsPNUWVyzvIF0iMO8w4%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw

TS3 did have chickens for eggs and cows for milk. Those are acceptable because no killing and butchering of animals was required.