Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Simmers, welcome! - Community’s tips & tricks to get started

Comments

• magic_cat_treemagic_cat_tree Posts: 292 Member
    > @telemwill said:
    > Try one of the What Happened in Your Game Today threads. The nonserial version is a bit more casual.

Thank you! ^^
    Drummer in Seize The Day
    @Park Thank you for the advice! ^_^
    Drummer in Seize The Day
    Thank you both for the advice :)
    Drummer in Seize The Day
  • jenny090620jenny090620 Posts: 1 New Member
    Knowing how time consuming this game is. Thinking you have been on for only half an hour is actually three hours :D
  • MorinorMorinor Posts: 2 New Member
    > @RockyMightSim said:
    > What I wish I knew and still wish it is how to goshdarn build houses. Like, I just can't wrap my head around it. I've seen all the youtube videos and downloaded and edited so many lots from the gallery, but I just can't build! Maybe it's just not for me., I'll just have to stick to live mode and let others build houses for me :'(

It's not so hard building you just gotta learn what makes the interior and exterior good. What I use as help is symmetry mixed with asymmetry and lots & lots of clutter. The more decorations the livelier.
  • JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    > @jenny090620 said:
    > Knowing how time consuming this game is. Thinking you have been on for only half an hour is actually three hours :D

Steam told me I had something like 80+ hours played so far and I was like... "Didn't I just buy this yesterday?"
    I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • RenegadeSimmerRenegadeSimmer Posts: 21 Member
    I am learning so much from reading all of the tips on here. I learned some of my best building tips from watching James Turner and Lilsimsie on YouTube :)
  • highfivebrandihighfivebrandi Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello All! I've been playing The Sims for a loooong time on and off. I remember seeing my cousin, (whom has passed away 16 years ago now) play the very first Sims. I was pretty young, but I took a liking very quickly. Now, I guess I can't be too sure if it was the Sims I was interested in, or "bothering" my favorite cousin for some attention. As the years went on, and I grew a little in age, I discovered it was a lot of both. When I was FINALLY able to download The Sims on my family computer (very secretively), I fell in love with this game. I had a hard time connecting with kids my age around that time, so this honestly was my escape. My mom wouldn't be too please with the amount of time I was spending creating my perfect world, but I always found ways to play. Not only was it the perfect escape for me, It always reminded me of my cousin. It still does today.

Now with that long, probably unnecessary introduction, one thing I wish I would've known when I first started playing, was practice your builds and take breaks.
    I definitely go back and forth with wanting to build more, and wanting to play live mode. I sometimes get a little discouraged\frustrated when my builds don't turn out how I have them in my head. My biggest fix for that was taking a break. That break might include playing a different family, or building something different, or just going outside for awhile and taking a break from the game completely.(Not the 'i played for 12 hours straight, now i'll take a 2 month break', break) haha
    I would say 99.9% of the time, I come back refreshed and I can put out whats in my mind. I do think, well actually I KNOW, watching other builders on YouTube has helped me a lot. I know all y'all have had a HUGE roofing issue, that is not easy! haha I haven't mastered it yet, but thanks to lilsimsie, I've improved tremendously. Now to take my own advice; Practice.

Anyways, I just want to say thank you to the creators of The Sims for making all of this happen. I know Its been more than just a game for me. It will always have a special place in my heart and I can't wait to see all the different builds from other people, and from myself in the future!

Much love,
    highfivebrandi
  • ThheFornicatorThheFornicator Posts: 27 Member
    Hi, how do I earn points and create new topic?
    I move where my heart takes me.. I am not bound to anything.
  • JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    Hi, how do I earn points and create new topic?

Make posts, reply to topics. Stay relevant / on-topic of course. But you get them just from participation.

It took me about 2 days to get to the '25 points' that makes one a 'member' - I could have done it in a minute but I kept to replying to things where I had some actual thoughts to contribute. :)

I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • ThheFornicatorThheFornicator Posts: 27 Member
    > @Jyotai said:
    > Make posts, reply to topics. Stay relevant / on-topic of course. But you get them just from participation.
    >
    > It took me about 2 days to get to the '25 points' that makes one a 'member' - I could have done it in a minute but I kept to replying to things where I had some actual thoughts to contribute. :)

Thanks. Appreciate the help. I will do the same :)
    I move where my heart takes me.. I am not bound to anything.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 2,897 Member

Anyways, I just want to say thank you to the creators of The Sims for making all of this happen. I know Its been more than just a game for me. It will always have a special place in my heart and I can't wait to see all the different builds from other people, and from myself in the future!

Much love,
    highfivebrandi

Its been wonderful to read you, i have played SimCity on Amiga, i really appreciate your sharing and like me you see the community here is AWESOME !
    Gallrey ID: Le_Slacker
  • Zara_StacyZara_Stacy Posts: 167 Member
    All these people are so nice! I love to play games with a welcoming community lol. You guys are so awesome.
    0GnCyNY.gif
  • SuzieAdvieSuzieAdvie Posts: 8 New Member
    Welcome. Hope you've got hours and hours of spare time. You're going to lose track of time once you start playing this game. LOL! It's easy to sit down to play "just for a little while" and then look up and realize you've been at it for several hours. My advice may have already been mentioned, but It can not be emphasized enough. One of the very first things I did, way back on Sims 2, was rush right out and download a bunch of custom content. I just wanted more variety. I didn't understand that there are several things you should know before you start adding CC. (Custom content) So I wound up with a bunch of things installed that messed up the game. I had to just remove all of the CC and do a complete game reinstall. (That was back in the days when we had the disks to install. Didn't even have Origin then) I would advise everyone to first research and read about how to install custom content, and how to find it to remove it too. Be careful about where you download it from. Check to see if it's just a recolor, if it is, you'll need the original mesh in order for it to work. It's also a good idea to go slow! Just grab a couple of things, then test them out in the game and make sure they work. That way you can find them and remove them if they don't work, or don't look as advertised.
  • CaptainNinjaPantsCaptainNinjaPants Posts: 17 Member
    I'm not new since I really started "Simming" around 2009 when Sims 3 came out. I knew about Sims 2 but for whatever reason I didn't play it at the time. Anyways I've had this account since December of 2014 but haven't done anything with it. But since the pandemic started I've been playing more of Sims 4 and practicing my building. Using real life floor plans and inspiration pictures really helps.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    Since the stair building modifications that Maxis made I tend to start with them now, build the stair I like, bends and all and build the hall and upper storey around it. You just need to pick it up and place it where you want on the lot and start from there. It saves a lot of time later.

Then going on with the hall, build rooms off it, say downstairs toilet, library, sitting room and kitchen and dining room (adjoining one another) with a possible link to the basement from the hall or kitchen. You can go mad with the second floor because if you aren't good with roofs you can always put a simple one on and make balconies which don't need one! It's fine for first attempts at building.
  • Behappy1stBehappy1st Posts: 711 Member
    Did you know if you set the table your sims will sit there to eat.
  • KimberlyForSimsKimberlyForSims Posts: 15 Member
    If I had the opportunity to go back to the past, to myself, when I first started - I would give myself the following tips:

1) Never. Never create a full family of 8 people from the very beginning. You know they all need something to do, right? But you're not multitasking enough to keep track of everyone
    2) I certainly understand that aliens, vampires, mermaids and others are all cool, but do not create them all at once. A family with one vampire, one mermaid, and one alien is possible. But not when you first came in to play
    3) Do not make more than one baby. Babies are capricious. They always need to go to the toilet, eat, and so on. If you just came to this beautiful game - then you will not be able to cope with everything and I do not think that you will be pleased to see a message about the fact that your baby was taken away
    4) Rooms are NOT a house. You can't make your home just from the rooms offered by EA. Even if you want to do it-observe at least some style.

These are the 4 tips I would give myself if I went back in time
  • Azira_LadySilver85Azira_LadySilver85 Posts: 15 New Member
    Looking for a new challenge? Check out my website & youtube for The Ultimate Challenge that I wrote myself. Website: https://queeniceacesis.wixsite.com/queenice & https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXblktudbV34erJHZuyz4jg Please check it out; tell your friends; sub & like. It would be very much appreciated!
  • L00NYL0V3L00NYL0V3 Posts: 66 Member
    I apologize if this question has been asked before, but has anyone found a way around the effects of the "tragic clown" costume? I have a Sim that the costume would be *perfect* for, but I'm really tired of the costume making him cry incessantly and automatically applying hideous makeup over the makeup I already chose for him.
  • kdlax10kdlax10 Posts: 6 New Member
    For me I found a lot of guides to be very useful when I first started playing and I still do, there's a lot of things that I still don't know about this game and I've had it for about 3-4 years now. Something I wish I had known when I first started playing was the amount of plants in the base game. I want to collect them all but I haven't even finished finding all the base game plants.
  • RaysyRaysy Posts: 2 New Member
    > @simgirl1010 said:
    > Hi @bestjuju. Welcome to the forum. 🙂
    >
    > This thread has information on becoming a full member.
    >
    > https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/934205/small-change-for-new-members#latest https://www.worktime.com/

I am new and very happy to be here
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,827 Member
    Hello @Raysy! Welcome! ☺️
  • KennbritKennbrit Posts: 6 New Member
    > @EuphorialQueen said:
    > Oh wow ... um ... hmmm...
    > It started as a whim and grew into a passion.
    > Those little mumbling sandbox people (Sims1 when Simlish was not quite perfected) caught my attention long ago.
    > Watching them evolve has been an interesting journey. My 'boxy' house have improved a bit with practice but still cannot hold a candle to the genius creations on the gallery.
    > My "Simlings" (beloved term for my Sim households) are either impish naughty gnomes or like The Golden Child. They can make me happy, surprised or frustrated but still bring me joy.
    >
    > Special message to new players:
    > There is no wrong way to play. That is the beauty of this game,
    > If you need ideas on what to do next choose an aspiration for your Sim and follow the steps to complete that aspiration or many aspirations.
    > If you find something that is not quite how you think it should be there are always friendly people to ask here on the forums or at .
    >
    > Most importantly just have fun!
    >
    > When you are ready you may want to check out the challenge list.
    > SIMS 4 CHALLENGE LIST (Updated October 16th, 2019) hosted by @Meeshelby
    > https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/906643/sims-4-challenge-list-updated-october-16th-2019/p1

> @Sharebear67 said:
    > The one thing I learned along the way is if you want to get better at building then watch several members YouTube videos. I learned so much at what I was doing wrong and how to make my builds more realistic. Now my builds get a lot more likes than they ever have. I took old builds and doctered them up and reshared them.
  • KennbritKennbrit Posts: 6 New Member
    > @MarmaladeJade said:
    > If you are starting out with City Living, take advantage of the Romance and Spice festivals for harvestables. For the Spice Festivals, you can also pack lunch sacks of each of the free vendor foods they offer you, saving you money and allowing for an easier way to obtain that packs 27 hidden recipes. Of course, if you have the Dining Out pack as well, you can just download or build a restaurant and change the menu offering to include those 27 dishes as well.
    >
    > I do not recommend TS4's Seasons unless you have played the game for a while. It adds a layer of difficulty for gardeners and it's actually more difficult to keep your sim from witnessing the death of another sim who is too stupid to change into warmer clothing on their own.