Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The grand sequel to: "The first one to page 100 wins!"

Comments

• NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    @sunman502 While I kind of agree, for me at least, hubs isn't a strange or eccentric person in the least, and when I first knew him, he called his car a name. I think it was more a thing when and where he grew up. It was, I suppose, an extension of calling any vessel, a female name, as in boats and such.

Did yardwork, mowed the lawn, grilled prime rib, and now I'm going to enjoy the indulgence of Sims3, and try not to be up til 2 again.

ded6uO2h.jpg

Anyone else do anything outdoors today?
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    @sunman502 While I kind of agree, for me at least, hubs isn't a strange or eccentric person in the least, and when I first knew him, he called his car a name. I think it was more a thing when and where he grew up. It was, I suppose, an extension of calling any vessel, a female name, as in boats and such.

Did yardwork, mowed the lawn, grilled prime rib, and now I'm going to enjoy the indulgence of Sims3, and try not to be up til 2 again.

ded6uO2h.jpg

Anyone else do anything outdoors today?
    Don't know why that is, but ships have been referred to as a she as far as I can remember. Like [ She was a fine ship! ] , for instance. I guess that this was something that has always been around since the days when people first starting giving ships names. And they were often female names for some odd reason.
    There are lots of hypotheses about why, in some countries and traditions, ships (and often cars or anything that carries people) are referred to as a 'she'. Interestingly, apparently in Russia and the Middle East, a boat is a 'he'. Some say it's because they are vessels, and that was a popular, albeit sexist, way to view women back then. Others say it's from ancient times, and the practice of appealing to certain goddesses in the ancient Roman and Greek pantheon for protection at sea, including having feminine busts as carved figureheads and the breaking of a bottle of wine as a ritual sacrifice while naming and dedicating the ship. Even more sexist explanations involve things like comparing a ship to a woman in terms of the maintenance, the cost of upkeep, and the perils of neglect or inattention.

Who can say, but we're far from the only ones to have wondered.

One gets used to inanimate objects being gendered, in learning any language in which that is the case, such as French, Spanish, even Russian.

xicwqMCm.jpg
    edited May 2021
    There are lots of hypotheses about why, in some countries and traditions, ships (and often cars or anything that carries people) are referred to as a 'she'. Interestingly, apparently in Russia and the Middle East, a boat is a 'he'. Some say it's because they are vessels, and that was a popular, albeit sexist, way to view women back then. Others say it's from ancient times, and the practice of appealing to certain goddesses in the ancient Roman and Greek pantheon for protection at sea, including having feminine busts as carved figureheads and the breaking of a bottle of wine as a ritual sacrifice while naming and dedicating the ship. Even more sexist explanations involve things like comparing a ship to a woman in terms of the maintenance, the cost of upkeep, and the perils of neglect or inattention.

Who can say, but we're far from the only ones to have wondered.

One gets used to inanimate objects being gendered, in learning any language in which that is the case, such as French, Spanish, even Russian.
    Most likely, and we most likely won't be the last to wonder why vessels are often refer to as females in some parts of the world.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    Today's Q Q is:
    What would you like to know more about, but haven’t had the time to look into it?

How to make meringue cookies with a fire/gas oven that doesn't go as low as the recipe says without making them turn brown. LOL. I'm sorry, I'm still obsessed with making a good meringue cookie.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • MousellineMouselline Posts: 4,845 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    Today's Q Q is:
    What would you like to know more about, but haven’t had the time to look into it?

How to make meringue cookies with a fire/gas oven that doesn't go as low as the recipe says without making them turn brown. LOL. I'm sorry, I'm still obsessed with making a good meringue cookie.

Dreams. I’m very interested in them, but it’s hard to find decent websites and stuff over them
  • Zara_StacyZara_Stacy Posts: 167 Member
    Today's Q Q is:

How video games are coded. I play the sims on a mac book air, so If I wanted to design cc or mods, it would personally be harder. However, I love looking into game files things to play around.
    0GnCyNY.gif
  • magic_cat_treemagic_cat_tree Posts: 292 Member
    Interestingly, apparently in Russia and the Middle East, a boat is a 'he'. Some say it's because they are vessels, and that was a popular, albeit sexist, way to view women back then.

In Russian the word 'ship' is masculine, while the word boat is 'feminine'. I think this is just because the language is gendered and there's no deeper meaning to it beyond that.
    I don't know much about ships, but I can also imagine men naming their ships feminine names because they were used to being away at sea for prolonged periods, exclusively in the company of men, so maybe they wanted to add something feminine to their experience just for the sake of it. I'm just speculating.

lucid dreaming
    Drummer in Seize The Day
    Today's Q Q is:

Convection oven would help but high humidity isn't the best fir chocolate or meringue. Another thing you can do, is greatly reduce the sugar. Sugar makes things brown much more easily and at a lower temp.

xicwqMCm.jpg
    Today's Q Q is:

Convection oven would help but high humidity isn't the best fir chocolate or meringue. Another thing you can do, is greatly reduce the sugar. Sugar makes things brown much more easily and at a lower temp.

Oh, okay. We have a convection oven too but it's smaller (it's like a microwave/convection oven). 😂 Maybe I can try that.
    I tried making meringue with less sugar before and it tasted bad. 🙈
    FwDXXd5.gif
    edited May 2021
    Today's Q Q is:

Oh, okay. We have a convection oven too but it's smaller (it's like a microwave/convection oven). 😂 Maybe I can try that.

If it's microwave only, and no heating element, give it a try, but it's likely it will deflate them. Ever put a marshmallow in the microwave? It might work for one meringue at a time, but it can also burn them from the inside out. I'd like it if you report back if you try it, what the results were!

And if you're already using cream of tartar, room-temp egg whites, the right kind of bowl (no plastic), there may actually be nothing more you can do if it's the humidity. Humidity is terrible for meringues and for tempering chocolate. It's not your fault if that's the case, but if it's the humidity, it will just prevent them from setting properly because eggwhite is hygroscopic (soaks up atmospheric moisture). If they are setting up properly but browning too much, then it's not likely the humidity, unless you're overdoing it on the heat to try to make up for them being too wet/sloppy from the humidity. Is that the case?

https://www.allrecipes.com/article/how-to-make-meringue/

Anyone want to help me celebrate the spring kickoff to summer? The air is scented with the lilacs in bloom,

BjHoe0Ll.jpg

and the flowering crabapple trees too:

mouf11Il.jpg

took those pics while out walking to the local ice cream place to get hubs a carton of his favorite flavor, because my car needs to go in the shop, and really enjoyed that walk in the sweet air, had to stop and admire all the beauty around me.

...and we've put the new smoker grill to great use, first with prime rib, then today I slow-smoked another cut, and it came out with that amazing ruby-red color from the smoke, and a meltingly tender texture from the slow, low heat, and topped it all off with a Starbucks coldbrew coffee.

Would love it if someone else wanted to share about their day, too.

xicwqMCm.jpg
    edited May 2021
    Today's Q Q is:

If it's microwave only, and no heating element, give it a try, but it's likely it will deflate them. Ever put a marshmallow in the microwave? It might work for one meringue at a time, but it can also burn them from the inside out. I'd like it if you report back if you try it, what the results were!

And if you're already using cream of tartar, room-temp egg whites, the right kind of bowl (no plastic), there may actually be nothing more you can do if it's the humidity. Humidity is terrible for meringues and for tempering chocolate. It's not your fault if that's the case, but if it's the humidity, it will just prevent them from setting properly because eggwhite is hygroscopic (soaks up atmospheric moisture). If they are setting up properly but browning too much, then it's not likely the humidity, unless you're overdoing it on the heat to try to make up for them being too wet/sloppy from the humidity. Is that the case?

https://www.allrecipes.com/article/how-to-make-meringue/

Anyone want to help me celebrate the spring kickoff to summer? The air is scented with the lilacs in bloom,

BjHoe0Ll.jpg

mouf11Il.jpg

took those pics while out walking to the local ice cream place to get hubs a carton of his favorite flavor, because my car needs to go in the shop, and really enjoyed that walk in the sweet air, had to stop and admire all the beauty around me.

...and we've put the new smoker grill to great use, first with prime rib, then today I slow-smoked another cut, and it came out with that amazing ruby-red color from the smoke, and a meltingly tender texture from the slow, low heat, and topped it all off with a Starbucks coldbrew coffee.

No, the microwave we have is like a two in one. It can be a microwave, but it can be turned into a convection oven as well. I might try using the convection oven next time, maybe. The only problem is that even if I halve the amount of ingredients, the meringue still uses up about 2-3 big baking trays. XD And I think our convection oven can only handle one small one at a time. 😅 And yeah, humidity is a pain here. LOL. My French meringue the other time became so goopy and I couldn't pipe it properly but I feel like maybe I didn't whip the egg whites hard enough before putting in the sugar...

I've tried 3 different meringues:
    The French one didn't set/pipe well, but it didn't brown. It actually turned out really good apart from it not piping out well. It wasn't sticky to touch after baking. Two issues I could think of is either, I didn't whip the egg whites properly, or, they weren't fresh cuz they were separated from the egg yolks we used for other cookies we did the previous day. I used Cream of Tartar for this one.

The Swiss one was browning but piped well. It got super sticky fast right after baking due to the humidity so I didn't like that. They literally just stuck together until I transfered them to an air tight container. XD

The Italian one was also the similar as the Swiss. It was browning and also sticky but wasn't as sticky as the Swiss one.

For the Swiss and Italian one, I used fresh eggs (literally went to the grocery store that morning). 🤣

Those pics of the flowers look really nice. Nothing much for me here. We're encouraged to be working from home (cuz the infection rate is rising again), but I gotta come to the office. -.-
    FwDXXd5.gif
    Interestingly, apparently in Russia and the Middle East, a boat is a 'he'. Some say it's because they are vessels, and that was a popular, albeit sexist, way to view women back then.

In Russian the word 'ship' is masculine, while the word boat is 'feminine'. I think this is just because the language is gendered and there's no deeper meaning to it beyond that.
    I don't know much about ships, but I can also imagine men naming their ships feminine names because they were used to being away at sea for prolonged periods, exclusively in the company of men, so maybe they wanted to add something feminine to their experience just for the sake of it. I'm just speculating.

lucid dreaming
    It's hard to say because some of these sailors were married. So perhaps giving their ship a female's name might make them feel like that they are close to their wives even though they are miles away at sea.
    The gay sailors and captains out there were like ¯\(º_o)/¯

lol

xicwqMCm.jpg

lol
    Maybe! :) But one thing that I can say with almost a 100% certainty is that the married sailors on board were likely the Captain and the officers. The deck hands were mostly young men, and were almost always at sea. Especially if that deck hand was in the navy. So they wouldn't likely to be a married man.
    Today's Q Q is:
    What have you done a lot but are still incredibly bad at?

Breathing. Cuz asthma. LOL.
    FwDXXd5.gif
    sunman502 wrote: »

lol
    Maybe! :) But one thing that I can say with almost a 100% certainty is that the married sailors on board were likely the Captain and the officers. The deck hands were mostly young men, and were almost always at sea. Especially if that deck hand was in the navy. So they wouldn't likely to be a married man.

other than the clergy, going to sea was also a way of avoiding marriage for those who found the idea unsuitable, whether due to sexual orientation or simply personality or other reasons. Another avenue of avoiding the expectation of marriage and children would be entering service, either as a housekeeper, butler, or something similar, because servants generally weren't even allowed to marry, would be dismissed if they did, which was undoubtedly a burden for most, but for those seeking refuge from the universal social expectation to do so, it was service, the priesthood or nunnery, or going to sea. Going to sea was regarded as strictly a male option, so in order to do so, some women passed as men. There were few female sailors and pirates ever known of, but they were not likely to be all there were. The fascinating history of two female pirates passing as men, who fell in love on board and only discovered after declaring, that they were both bodily female, boggles the mind at how much coincidence that would be, for both of them to serve on the same ship, if they were the only ones in existence.

But yes, heteronormativity and the social expectation of marriage, was apparently a large motivation for a lot of people seeking refuge in callings that offered an exception to at least the marriage part.

Interesting conversation, thanks for engaging!

xicwqMCm.jpg
    Artspam.

FwDXXd5.gif
  • Zara_StacyZara_Stacy Posts: 167 Member
    Today's Q Q is:

playing soccer cause why not
    0GnCyNY.gif
  • MousellineMouselline Posts: 4,845 Member
    Today's Q Q is:

Lol same. But I’d probably say drawing. Did a lot of it cause I took it all through middle school. I wouldn’t say I’m incredibly bad at it but I’m not good
  • magic_cat_treemagic_cat_tree Posts: 292 Member

BjHoe0Ll.jpg

mouf11Il.jpg

Ahh lilacs are my favourite scent in the world! Second only to the people (& cats) whom I love :)
    what is your husband's favourite flavour of ice cream?

I spent most of the day re-reading Murakami's 'South of the Border, West of the Sun'. I first read it back when I was a teen. I love the indulgent nostalgia & melancholy vibes of his writing <3
    Then my husband and I decided to walk to the shops instead of driving and we spontaneously decided to get some 'Beyond Burgers' (an awesome plant-based burger) plus some pineapple rings. Some years ago I lived in a town that had a really popular burger chain; they used to have a sweet burger on the menu, and I've been trying to replicate it lately -- so tonight we're having a burger with peanut butter, banana and pineapple. Does that sound good to anyone else? lol I think it's delicious :p

off the top of my head - doing my eyeliner. I don't wear makeup much anymore, but I used to wear it a lot; despite this (and despite the fact that I've been drawing my whole life) every time I went to do my eyeliner, I would feel like a total noob and it would take me aaages to make both eyes even. Meanwhile I know some girls who can probably do it with their eyes closed -_-
    Drummer in Seize The Day
  • 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    Today's Q Q is:

I (kinda) know that feeling - Sleep apnea here!

I (USED TO) draw a lot, but my epilepsy has ruined my ability to hold the pencil steady, and my shaking only gotten worse as the years go on. Drawing days are over.
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
    Today's Q Q is:

I (USED TO) draw a lot, but my epilepsy has ruined my ability to hold the pencil steady, and my shaking only gotten worse as the years go on. Drawing days are over.

That stinks, I'm sorry! Hoping you have alternate creative outlets that you can do these days. :(

@magic_cat_tree Sounds like a nice time! I wouldn't do banana and pineapple and peanut butter, on a burger, but I am accustomed to peanut butter with hot chili sauce and garlic...if I weren't allergic to cilantro now, I'd have a burger with spicy peanut sauce and cilantro, and if it's spicy enough, some pineapple too maybe.

Hubs' favorite ice cream is a locally-crafted blueberry oat crumble flavor. It has corn syrup so I can't really eat it, but I took a bite anyway (and broke out on my scalp...ugh) but it was really amazing.

as for the QQ: I'm really the worst at ice skating but I haven't done it a lot because it was awful each of the 3 times I tried it, whereas other people generally got better at least by the second try.

I had to ask on this one. All he could come up with was: seeing certain colors (I'm red-green colorblind but it's relatively mild, can see bold shades of each, just not the less-obvious ones) and understanding things normal people say, without having to have it broken down explicitly to the nth detail.

xicwqMCm.jpg
    Today's Q Q is:

That stinks, I'm sorry! Hoping you have alternate creative outlets that you can do these days. :(

magic_cat_tree Sounds like a nice time! I wouldn't do banana and pineapple and peanut butter, on a burger, but I am accustomed to peanut butter with hot chili sauce and garlic...if I weren't allergic to cilantro now, I'd have a burger with spicy peanut sauce and cilantro, and if it's spicy enough, some pineapple too maybe.

Hubs' favorite ice cream is a locally-crafted blueberry oat crumble flavor. It has corn syrup so I can't really eat it, but I took a bite anyway (and broke out on my scalp...ugh) but it was really amazing.

as for the QQ: I'm really the worst at ice skating but I haven't done it a lot because it was awful each of the 3 times I tried it, whereas other people generally got better at least by the second try.

I had to ask on this one. All he could come up with was: seeing certain colors (I'm red-green colorblind but it's relatively mild, can see bold shades of each, just not the less-obvious ones) and understanding things normal people say, without having to have it broken down explicitly to the nth detail.

If I were to do ice skating, I'd probably fail terribly too and won't be able to get it by the second try. Don't feel bad. XD I can't even roller blade for the life of me and that's easier to balance on.
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • BrokenWheelsBrokenWheels Posts: 579 Member
    edited May 2021
    when you leave for 6 months and come back to this :)
    rawr rawr origin id: mwood7683
    tenor.gif?itemid=5566087

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top