Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Looking for Spellcaster mods

JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
Got Realm of Magic last week, and yesterday I finally took some sims over there to look around.

Now I'm looking for any CC to add even more spice to this new content.

Anything that gives me more CAS options for spellcasters, more spells (of the fun and decently balanced variety - I passed on one to change the seasons of the game last night because that seemed like an insane amount of power in the hands of a lone spellcaster).

And if anyone has done new CAS and lot trait mods specifically aimed at casters - but which I could throw in there and not be too weird if some random townie had them as well.

On CAS traits;
Some trait mods I've downloaded, I've had to delete portions of because they basically would turn a sim into either a useless puddle of emo-death or superhuman that might as well live on Mars and make sculptures out of the planet's continental plates. So I'm seeking spellcaster traits, but not ones that say things like "you are immortal, amazing, and better at everything" or "living, why bother, just end it all now"...

I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:

Comments

• RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    Zero has a lot of great mods for spellcasters: https://patreon.com/posts/realm-of-magic-35030446
  • JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    Zero has a lot of great mods for spellcasters: https://patreon.com/posts/realm-of-magic-35030446

Thanks, right off the bat in a 3 second page skim I saw a few I want to grab. Reading the list over now.
    I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    @Jyotai I have to go to bed now, so I can only send a few links. But I'll make sure to give you some more tomorrow.

If you plan on adding any custom spells, make sure you download the Spellbook Injector

There's also some suggested spells listed under the "recommended" section. :)

I also recommend the following CAS CC
    [Magic Print Tee
    Simple Crystal Necklace
    Wiccan Symbol Tattoos

Or really any of Nekochan's Tattoo

edited May 2021
    Not sure which yet, but something in Zero's mods broke the vendor in caster's alley that sells spells and familiars.

Trying to narrow down which mod exactly between the 22 I grabbed... but it may have even managed to completely corrupt my save.

Even after removing all the mods, still get the exception:
    Exception in Unknown timeline: Exception running Element (AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'id')
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\scheduling.py", line 212, in simulate
      File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\elements.py", line 376, in _run
      File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\interactions\base\picker_interaction.py", line 3226, in _run_interaction_gen
      File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\interactions\base\picker_interaction.py", line 209, in _show_picker_dialog
      File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\interactions\base\picker_interaction.py", line 222, in _create_dialog
      File "T:\InGame\Gameplay\Scripts\Server\interactions\base\picker_interaction.py", line 3275, in _setup_dialogAttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'id'rtim=0
    ClientInfo isn't here

Thank goodness for the 'recover save' feature. Had a save in there from an hour ago, before my new sim had gone to the spot - that worked on the vendor with all the mods removed. Now I'll add them each back until I get that error again...

One possible theory: new sim with no charisma skill, goes and tries 'haggle' as her first action and gets turned down, then tries buy and gets a script crash.

So if I end up with all the mods working... it will mean situational as this time I tried buy right away and not haggle.

All mods back in - vendor was still fine.

Gave myself a bloodline trait and learned spells from the 3 sages, vendor script crashes.

Removed all the 'Zero' mods. Went to good save before the mods - gave myself bloodline trait, sage trained 3 spells, went to vendor, no crash.

So some Zero mod does not like you either having a bloodline or already knowing any spells when you talk to the vendor...

Got a save from after having a bloodline and 3 spells and good vendor... adding zero mods back until it breaks...

2 hours in and I'm lost. Still get the error if I save and use what looked like a good save. It seems the vendor just doesn't like any sim with a bloodline trait.

Really need to get Zero's mods to work... wasted 30 of those minutes trying to get the vendor to re-appear by basically using nasty spells to chase away any sim that landed in caster's alley because that one vendor prefers socializing over staying in the stall... And fixing that is one of the mods I need...
    Post edited by Jyotai on
    edited May 2021
    The problem isn't with Zero's mods.

It's in the "Forbidden Spells" mod from Kuttoe. But it seems very specific which is why I didn't catch it until I grabbed Zero's mods.

If...

You have a spellcaster with an Ancient Bloodline trait, and you visit the vendor in caster's alley that sells familiars and spellbooks, and you have:
    [Kuttoe] ForbiddenSpells
    - then you will start getting script errors, after you have saved, quit, and re-entered the game at least once after BOTHJ that mod was added and you've visited the alley. But I think the error can occur the first time you talk to the vendor if the other steps are already true.

Once these errors begin, the save file is bad - deleting the mod won't fix it.

A spellcaster that lacks at least Ancient Bloodline (I didn't test other bloodlines) won't trigger this error - so this can be hiding in your save for a while before blowing up on you, but if you delete the mod before approaching with a bloodline traited sim, your save will be recoverable.

Forbidden spells comes with 5 package files and a script file - I've been unable to isolate exactly which of them is the issue.

My theory is that it could be any but the bees one - as they mess with the costs of spells and scan your age - and these all seem like things that a bloodline would also care about. The bees one is probably OK because it just sends a swarm of bees, but to be safe I removed the whole pack.

My spellcaster also has the 'Good' trait, and all of these spells gives a mood penalty to good sims - so maybe that has broken since it came out and it has nothing to do with a bloodline. That's one more test to isolate - but would still be a reason to not use the mod as the 'good' trait is from Maxis, and this messes up the vendor even if your good sim has no intention of learning those spells.

On Kuttoe's website it's noted that they abandoned the idea of working on spells some time back because the spell injector was unstable and abandoned - but I've not yet seen problem with custom spells from other authors.

This feels like a high risk error - the kind that could hide in your save file for a while before you catch it, and which I've yet to find a way to clean out of a save once it's there. Granted I can't imagine why I'd go to caster's alley and NOT talk to that one vendor the not come back for some time... but it could happen.

I'm just glad my first instinct on making an ancient bloodline "harry potter knockoff sim" was to run over there and buy a familiar, and catch this before I'd spent days on a new sim.

According to the comments on the Forbidden Spells log, the error is with Grim Bargin. I haven't actually downloaded that specific mod, so I wasn't aware of the issues of it. But my assumption would be one of the patches that came out after November 2020 broke something and Kutto hasn't been able to find the exact problem.
    Here's the comment section. Link

I don't know how to fix this unforuntely, but I do hope you can find someone who can.
    As more CC as promised, here's a bunch more you can check out if interested.

Moon Shard Jewelry
    Seperated RoM Jewelry
    Medusa Dress
    Celestine Top
    Simblreen 2019 Collection
    Ivy Dress
    Honeysuckle Sweater
    Spooky Sweater
    [url=https://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/details/category/sims4-accessories-female-necklaces/title/witchcraft-choker/id/1458806/ Pentacle Choker[/url]
    Pentacle Necklace

I also have a collection of some good cc for our Spellcaster Men too
    Caster Moto Jacket One of my personal favorites!
    Caster Casual Shirt

Sims 3 Style wands

I'd send you more links if I didn't already have a ton of tabs open, but because I do I'm going to stop here. for now
    According to the comments on the Forbidden Spells log, the error is with Grim Bargin. I haven't actually downloaded that specific mod, so I wasn't aware of the issues of it. But my assumption would be one of the patches that came out after November 2020 broke something and Kutto hasn't been able to find the exact problem.
    Here's the comment section. Link

I don't know how to fix this unforuntely, but I do hope you can find someone who can.

Aw I missed that. I looked for someone having found it but I only looked on the mod download link comments and not the MTS forum.

I just removed the set of them, they were not fully in step with what I want to do with my own sims anyway, and I'm not sure if NPC sims would ever end up with random new spells (not sure yet if NPC sims even go around casting spells, only started playing this pack the other day).

Thank you for the find though. Now I know where to go looking next time before I spend hours debugging. ;)

• RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    Thanks for the heads up. I also have Kuttoe's spells and have gotten errors at the spellbook booth and was wondering what was causing them. Fortunately I have not had my save corrupted, but I may remove those spells since I don't use them much anyways.
    Fortunately I have not had my save corrupted, but I may remove those spells since I don't use them much anyways.

The specific save corruption that I get is that even after removing the troubled mods, if I've ever gotten errors at that booth, I will keep getting errors at the booth with that save. So even after removing the mods, I have to revert back to a save that is older than any time when I had both the mods and a sim with a bloodline trait in my game who had visited that map - even saves where I had not yet talked to the booth.

It seems like once it's run whatever check it runs to fill up the inventory of the booth vendor, which I guess happens anytime you load that map, then the data it gets back is always somewhere in the save. So if it puts in an error once, even if you removing the erroring items, the error is stuck in there somewhere.