Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is This Stuttering Normal?

So I've had this PC for about a few months now and I redownloaded TS3 a week ago and I've been spending the last few days setting it up and doing the usual to make sure it runs smoothly (getting it to recognize GPU, using more ram, capping frames, etc...).

My monitor refresh rate is 144hz so my game is capped at 144fps, I've tried capping it at 60 but get this weird graphical issue with shadows so I've changed it back to 144. I've had some stuttering when moving the camera around the world and also on the home lot. As well as greyed objects taking a while to load. Is that normal? Don't remember having this problem with my old laptop...

Specs: r7 3800x, RTX 2060Super, 32gb ram.

***Here's the first part of the DeviceConfig file maybe something in here is still not getting recognized? Idk, I feel like I've tried everything to reduce the stutter except lowering graphical settings.

=== Application info ===
Name: Sims3
Version:
Build: Release
=== Rating info ===
GPU: 5 GPU Memory: 4 CPU: 4 RAM: 4 CPU Speed: 3893 Threading: 3
Adjusted CPU: 4791 RAM: 32673 Adjusted RAM: 32161 Cores: 16
=== Machine info ===
OS version: Windows 8 6.2.9200
OS prod type: 0
OS major ver: 6
OS minor ver: 2
OS SP major ver: 0
OS SP minor ver: 0
OS is 64Bit: 1
CPU: AuthenticAMD
Brand: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor
Family: 15
Model: 1
Cores: 16
HT: 0
x64: 0
Memory: 32673MB
Free memory: 28418MB
User: Astro
Computer: DESKTOP-GFBN3BM
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER
Name (database): GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER [Found: 1, Matched: 1]
Vendor: NVIDIA
Chipset: Vendor: 10de, Device: 1f06, Board: 30613842, Chipset: 00a1
Driver: nvldumd.dll, Version: 27.21.14.6627, GUID: D7B71E3E-5C46-11CF-1142-6F101BC2D635
Driver version: 6627
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Texture memory: 8031MB
Vertex program: 3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Hardware TnL: 1

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I'm afraid that a certain amount of game camera stutter is normal with the highest end cards like yours. The extent to which it can be tolerated is of course up to the player. If you feel that it's really detracting from enjoyment of the game and not a minor thing, perhaps you could post a short video that demonstrates what you are seeing?

The slow to load graphics might be a caching issue or perhaps you have "too many" (more than 2 or 4) high detail lots selected in Game Options. You already have like 10x more texture memory available than the game can really use due to its limited programming, so this is going to be difficult to improve upon.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    edited May 2021
    igazor wrote: »
    I'm afraid that a certain amount of game camera stutter is normal with the highest end cards like yours. The extent to which it can be tolerated is of course up to the player. If you feel that it's really detracting from enjoyment of the game and not a minor thing, perhaps you could post a short video that demonstrates what you are seeing?

The slow to load graphics might be a caching issue or perhaps you have "too many" (more than 2 or 4) high detail lots selected in Game Options. You already have like 10x more texture memory available than the game can really use due to its limited programming, so this is going to be difficult to improve upon.

Bummer. I guess the game just doesn’t like my pc then,lol.

It’s weird to though, I just started a new game and my sim is on a starter lot and the frames will drop anywhere from 144 to 120 or 80 or 70 just when moving through the (small not very furnished house).
    Post edited by Astro on
  • Options
    riccardougariccardouga Posts: 436 Member
    @Astro Have you tried to turn Triple Buffering On in the Nvidia control panel settings?
  • Options
    @Astro Have you tried to turn Triple Buffering On in the Nvidia control panel settings?

I haven’t actually done anything in the control panel except for turning vsync on as well as FXAA. What does Triple Buffering do?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    @Astro It's a great help to solve your situation with the stuttering :smile: I have a Nvidia geforce gtx 1070 and I'm using Vsync on + Triple buffering on
  • Options
    @Astro It's a great help to solve your situation with the stuttering :smile: I have a Nvidia geforce gtx 1070 and I'm using Vsync on + Triple buffering on

I’ll try it out when I get home! Thanks.
  • Options
    @Astro You're welcome :blush:
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited May 2021
    When using vertical sync I also turn triple buffering on according to the typical scenarios usage.

Triple Buffering
    Triple_Buffering.png

=======

Win 10 64-Bit
    16 GB RAM
    Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.6 GHz
    NVidia RTX 2070
    1 TB SDD
    1 TB HDD
    G-Sync compatible monitor turned on

No idea about fps since I did not enable that but this is how TS3 runs, if I remember correctly, with just NRass MC/Cheats/Integration and NRass NoCd. Runs the same without any mods as well though those listed are not GPU/CPU based but rather gives more control over what is already in-game for the most part.

https://youtu.be/BtfrhN8rGpA
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Deshong04 wrote: »
    When using vertical sync I also turn triple buffering on according to the typical scenarios usage.

Triple Buffering
    Triple_Buffering.png

=======

Win 10 64-Bit
    16 GB RAM
    Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.6 GHz
    NVidia RTX 2070
    1 TB SDD
    1 TB HDD
    G-Sync compatible monitor turned on

No idea about fps since I did not enable that but this is how TS3 runs, if I remember correctly, with just NRass MC/Cheats/Integration and NRass NoCd. Runs the same without any mods as well though those listed are not GPU/CPU based but rather gives more control over what is already in-game for the most part.

https://youtu.be/BtfrhN8rGpA

I guess what I’m experiencing is ‘simulation lag’ rather than anything hardware related. I’m playing in the SunsetValley2020 world and there are a lot of lots as well as sims everywhere as opposed to your video where sims are more sparse throughout the world. I’m gonna try a new save in a new world and see if there’s any difference with frame drops and what not.
  • Options
    Yeah, so I really had no idea there were this many sims in the world...
    4gh3oPk.png

So I guess the stuttering is normal for a town with this many sims in it.
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    I forget the number of residents in each official world but if I remember correctly, ranged from 50 to 90 Sims. I think in most cases the population count is around 60 to 70 Sims.

This is why the developers say that TS3 is a mostly CPU intensive game because each Sim/Sim Pet (Cat, Dog and Horse) is an individual Sim A.I. that the CPU calculates for the most part when they are out within the open seamless neighborhood. And even while inside of houses and rabbitholes, the A.I. still runs but just with less impact because there aren't any visuals and the code seems to run in the background. There is an explanation of this by TS3 A.I. designer. You can find it yourself if you are interested to know more about how Sims are being processed.

Using NRass Tagger and NRass MC, it's easy to see where Sims are at and what they are doing and I can use the Open option on a closed house to see A.I. driven stories unfold that are what I call, in process behind closed doors. Though some A.I. in closed houses are in a dormant/idle state I notice but their status changes quite a bit depending on various factors.

Anyway, I feel like 100 Sims or more is pushing the game engine to the limit with what it can handle. Not so much the limit of what the CPU/RAM can handle but a 32-Bit application game that cannot use more than 4 GB of RAM is not going to handle too many residential Sims including controllable pets.

Also, the biggest culprit for lag in my personal experience are the use of mods that are CPU/GPU intensive. Especially, CPU because again TS3 is already a mostly CPU driven game, thus putting more work on the game engine than its original workload will create poor performance regardless of a gaming computer or a super computer. And again because it is the limitation of a 32-Bit application. The game engine can only handle but so much extra workload.

80-85 Sims max seems to be okay for me and will vary for each person since everyone has a different computer configuration. On top of Sim population is also object count in each house and the overall count in the whole neighborhood. CC with high poly counts will drag down performance as well and there are so many other things too. Like bad lot design causing route failure, broken objects that Sims keep trying to use and can't thus get stuck in a loop and so on. It is not just Sim population that can cause lag/camera stutter. The official world populations are all within good ranges in my personal experience.

My gameplay performance always drops when I start using certain mods compared to my other games without mods or gameplay altering mods.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”