March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ever made an "average Joe/Jane"?

A while ago I wanted to make an average Joe to play with. I wanted him to be "no one special", put the lifespan on normal, and got him to join the business career. The plan was to let him live in a cheap apartment and work as an office assistant (level 2) until he drew his last breath, and leave no legacy. He wouldn't earn any simoleons from anywhere else but work. It was fun for a good while, then it eventually got boring. xD

Have anyone else tried this, and did you make it to his/her final day? :)

Comments

• AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    I have many, of different kind, because I want variation in the sim population, I like static stagnation and also because I find it too easy to level in the game, so I just want to find ways of entertaining myself. I play rotational though, and aging set to none, and I mostly build and plan the worlds and don't really play live mode so much, so I am not bored yet!
  • Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,548 Member
    Stutum wrote: »
    A while ago I wanted to make an average Joe to play with. I wanted him to be "no one special", put the lifespan on normal, and got him to join the business career. The plan was to let him live in a cheap apartment and work as an office assistant (level 2) until he drew his last breath, and leave no legacy. He wouldn't earn any simoleons from anywhere else but work. It was fun for a good while, then it eventually got boring. xD

Sounds like my earliest games. I have a couple of "Average Joe" types that I play and I put them in the business career but I do let them marry and have kids.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I have way more average joe sims than I do anything else. I play with them like normal people. They have low wage, dead end jobs. I have a mod that doesn't let them progress past certain levels of their career. Plus I have a ton of custom careers for average 9-5 jobs.

I play them like they don't care too much about work. They don't have huge amounts of ambition, they're more interested in their daily lives and hanging out with friends. They go to festivals and basically work to have fun after work. I actually love playing these types of sims better because they have very social lives and don't spend all of their time skilling. They have more free time to engage in lots of fun activities and they have much better relationships with their friends and sometimes family.

I also have economic statuses in my game. Some of my average joe sims just work work work because they don't make enough to live comfortably. They may not be good parents because they lack the time. Their kids may grow up with poor manners and lack responsibility. I like playing them, too. It's a whole different dynamic outside of the rainbows and everything is perfect life.
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    I like the sound of your world.
  • JustMeAlbJustMeAlb Posts: 371 Member
    I played a guy in Windenburg who's career was Freelancer. He did enough work to keep enough in the account to pay the bills and occasionally treat himself, otherwise he spent most is time out partying. I forced myself to not go after asperations because I always get annoyed when interrupted and end up just shutting everyone out. It got boring surprisingly quick.
    The cake is a lie
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I make many, many "average joes" (and janes). But no, I don't play them. Tried it a few times and fell asleep trying.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Some of my sims start off as average with particular goals in mind. That is about as boring as I can tolerate. LOL :D
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,089 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    I have way more average joe sims than I do anything else. I play with them like normal people. They have low wage, dead end jobs. I have a mod that doesn't let them progress past certain levels of their career. Plus I have a ton of custom careers for average 9-5 jobs.

I play them like they don't care too much about work. They don't have huge amounts of ambition, they're more interested in their daily lives and hanging out with friends. They go to festivals and basically work to have fun after work. I actually love playing these types of sims better because they have very social lives and don't spend all of their time skilling. They have more free time to engage in lots of fun activities and they have much better relationships with their friends and sometimes family.

I also have economic statuses in my game. Some of my average joe sims just work work work because they don't make enough to live comfortably. They may not be good parents because they lack the time. Their kids may grow up with poor manners and lack responsibility. I like playing them, too. It's a whole different dynamic outside of the rainbows and everything is perfect life.

where do you get your custom careers from? which mods?
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    aaronrulz wrote: »
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

where do you get your custom careers from? which mods?

This is the careers, I'll have to find out when I'm home where the other mods come from.

https://midnitetech.tumblr.com/post/612339917020872704/all-my-careers-in-one-zip-compatible-with-the
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    I have some families that I don't let advance far in their careers or that are stuck in part time jobs for realism reasons. But their lifes aren't bland, they all have kids, large friend groups and attend the "totally not obligatory" co-worker outings.
    In rotational play I don't even have to go out of my way to give the average faces in the crowd nice lifes. After all, when I don't play them they appear on their own at venues and do their thing in the background.
  • jennieeffinjennieeffin Posts: 184 Member
    One of my favorite households recently was the combo Liberty Lee and the French DJ in Windenburg. I gave both of them menial jobs, he in retail and her as a barista. They had just enough money from their combined purses to get along without real jobs. In the meantime, she leisurely pursued a degree and he DJ'd at night and made music. It was SO much fun to play this more (in my opinion) realistic version of Young Adulthood. I got really attached to them. To keep it realistic, I even had them naturally drift apart and break up. This version of Liberty died in game, which was probably the worst in-game death ever for me, but the DJ is still spinning in Windenburg every night, ever-so-slowly building fame and income, but not pursuing it too aggressively. I will definitely try this kind of gameplay more.
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    The first time I played sims 4, I created guy and put him in business career I think. I was a noob and while I was figuring out how game worked, he worked till his last day, at low level. :D
  • Zimz4Zimz4 Posts: 354 Member
    Since I only play with sims I roll in CAS, I guess every one of them starts out as an 'average joe'? They have no skills, no jobs, no education, no relationships outside of their household, limited amounts of simoleons (except for the lucky few I cheat into richness), still have to buy their first lot, etc. They just tend to stop being average when I start playing them and give them a life to adventure though.
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    My Average cheerful, family-oriented Joes are happily married to Average cheerful, family-oriented Janes. They each have one Teen and one Child and sometimes a few relatives like aunts, uncles, cousins, or grandparents. Some families also have a cat or a dog. These are my Townie families. I have a "townie" save that I use to set them up with basic skills like cooking, fitness, and handiness or logic so they can function in any game that I add them to. None of them have maxed skills.

The Average Joes and Janes are usually in the Athletic, Business, or Doctor careers because I never use those for my playable Sims. I found that when I left them unemployed the game had a tendency to place them in whatever career my playable Sims were in. To me, there's nothing as boring as seeing the same adult Sims on every lot, in every world, and at work too. The Teens all have part-time jobs too.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    Stutum wrote: »

No way, the day I play with an average Joe will be my final day.
  • HopeyStarrHopeyStarr Posts: 1,276 Member
    Lolol the business career seems like many people's go-to for that basic life, me included. The first few sim families I created had fathers in the business career, who eventually rose to higher positions. Basic. :lol:

Can't say I tolerate plain Joes/Janes for too long. Gotta spice it up somehow or else things get veryyy stale.
    R5PO75w.gif?1
    *:.。."It's great being ((Queen Bee))!".。.:*
    ★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★
    ✧ :-"As long as I continue to believe then one day my ((dreams)) really will come true."✧ :-
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,085 Member
    Oh, you mean like toilet store salesman Jim Peabody?

Bbgdgnu.png
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    I made one or two average sims in my time on this game. one in particular is this American woman, Emily Stanlow, married to Richie. They aren't anyone special and neither is she, just a total plain Jane wearing older style of American clothes, sort of 50's, 60's appearance (since the 1950's Perry Mason helped with that). Meanwhile her husband Richard is a sucker for plaid shirts, jeans and a cowboy hat, sort of typical rural American theme in small towns.

Another plain Joe i have is Roy Weston, i advanced his storyline and he married Jamie Kylee and is now the step father to three children. Roy loves his older cowboy style, especially his shades and cowboy hat since he is one of the last of a dying breed of cowboy.

i have a few more in there, but the majority of my sims stand out in one fashion or another compared to these sims.
  • Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited May 2021
    I'm currently playing two average Joe's in TS3. Both of them will never achieve their Lifetime Wishes and they only have a part-time job each, no careers. They are more distinguished than your example though since both of them work quite hard on their skills. The wife is climbing up to mastering fishing and has a decent diving skill, but since she lives in Sunset Valley she can never achieve her scuba diving goals. The husband is a good sculptor but I plan on never making him particularly good in painting, thus not completing his Da Vinci LTW.
    Both their children are artistic, but both of them will also not "excel in life" in the typical manner. The son will be a good painter but also an airhead athletic jock, never achieving his master painting LTW bc of spending most of his time in the gym and getting juiced with his high school friends instead of truly mastering his craft. He will, like his parents, only ever have a part-time job. He won't ever marry because of commitment issues, but he will be family-oriented, being more than happy to help raise his sister's child. His sister will be self-employed but keep most of her sculptures and paintings so she honestly won't bring a lot of income- she is thus a bit of a freeloader on her parents, spending her days on her two hobbies. I plan on letting her complete her LTW, but she will have an unplanned pregnancy and not know who the father is, as previously mentioned. Her parents and brother will have to do most of the parenting since she'll be more interested in her art than her kid.
    Post edited by Louise_G0325 on
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,370 Member
    Most of my Sims are average, except occults, of course. :)